• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

daedalius

Very disappointed open beta progress doesn't carry over to retail, the grinding in this game just to unlock a character is unreal. If this were F2P, I'd feel better about it, but since it's not it's very disheartening.

This really doesn't come as a surprise does it?

You can ignore the score, it's just (kills x 2) + assists, it doesn't contemplate deaths, or minion kills, or objectives, or scrap or anything else.

Edit: Galilea is <3 <3. Her stun should be nerfed to 1.5 seconds.

Good to know, I really destroy a ton of minions and I feel like the score doesn't care at all

patchday

Game crashes 100% on my Home PC in lobby or ingame :(

Worked great on my Work PC. Guess it was a bad install here at home. I'll see if I can dig up crash logs and send it to the devs

Leaving a bad impression. To be fair, ps4 version is okay (very stable) but I prefer the higher framerate on PC and the slighty higher FOV (really silly we cant make FOV higher on PC & consoles)

Overwatch and all my other games run smooth as silk (no crashies).

At least I reached L14 on the PS4 version. I think I'll think bout getting the game once price drops to $40. I mean its really no offense to the game- that's how I normally do it. Only game I purchased full price lately has been Dark Souls 3

LQX

Something ridiculous is happening behind the scenes of this game that every-time after it has found players it disconnects. Again, I just do not get why it is acting like a MMO rather than regular FPS. It should even maybe have dedicated servers with drop in drop out as I bet the reason for the disconnects is a player leaving at the last minute.

patchday

f2p games often let you move the progress over. Mostly because they have no choice since they want to start selling items asap. But besides f2p games I've never seen progress carry over

Unicorn

Sad I won't get to play Kelvin before beta ends. Just one win away from Unlocking.

I'm contemplating buying this, but I also don't want to drop too much money on games this year. I am worried the playerbase will drop off rapidly given the confusion on what this game even is, so that both sways and dissuades me from getting this.

f2p games often let you move the progress over. Mostly because they have no choice since they want to start selling items asap. But besides f2p games I've never seen progress carry over

f2p games are a bit different because there is no "launch" of the game, no retail release. It's much more gradual, with the game updated more and more and being accessible to more people until one day they decide to drop the "beta" label from the splash screen.

patchday

^ Just anwsering the other guy (aramaKain). I already know all that myself and I suspect he does too. Just trying to make sure he's not just talking about f2p games

Gowans

God quitters and AFK guys need to get a penalty and they should use down on the d-pad for a smite style VGS system to encourage some team communication

^ Just anwsering the other guy (aramaKain). I already know all that myself and I suspect he does too. Just trying to make sure he's not just talking about f2p games
That's the problem, with the way things unlock here and buying "packs" this FEELS like a F2P game, so it FEELS like progress should carry over.

I had a game yesterday where I went 25 and 3, was constantly pushing minions and we still lost.

I don't think my soul has ever ached so much.

Yeah, this game is kind of everywhere. I feel it's all just random. Like if you're losing by mile, you're going to lose since there's no coming back. At least that's how a bunch have been either for me or enemy team.

I feel having a high amount of kills gives no impact on play.

Damnit, in what it was going to be my last game I unlocked Kelvin. Now I have to try it!

inb4 disappointed

I know I was. He looked pretty cool.

God quitters and AFK guys need to get a penalty and they should use down on the d-pad for a smite style VGS system to encourage some team communication

I usually have at least 1 person quit within the first 3 minutes because they die 2-3 times trying to YOLO kill people across the map.

patchday

I think this game uses MMR matchmaking. Most mobas (even League of Legends) are like this early on (granted BB not a MOBA but they seem to hint at an MMR system). But soon the cream of the crop will rise above the newbies

I'm assuming problems like that will be resolved on its' own

I'm gonna assume people are quitting so casually in this game cuz it's a beta and all progress is gonna reset eventually. Should still be some penalty.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What's with all the quitters today? Is there no punishment for them at all.

Love this game

They could ban quitters from ever playing Battleborn again and the punishment would still be less severe than having to endure a game on a team full of level 2 players vs. players that have clearly been poopsocking the beta. The matchmaking in this game, hooboy.

emptyroom

Neo Member
Day 1 for me. Been running great on PC and matchmaking is fast. Might be the "moba" for me. I do enjoy hots but battleborn's first person action is really fun.

patchday

Newbies probably getting turned off when they see good gear on higher level players and every time they got killed, the enemy player can taunt them too. During a taunt you cant click away from it either. neat feature but its gonna get annoying fast

[edit] granted we havent established how effective items are. So perhaps its just the taunts and combination of helplessness

They could ban quitters from ever playing Battleborn again and the punishment would still be less severe than having to endure a game on a team full of level 2 players vs. players that have clearly been poopsocking the beta. The matchmaking in this game, hooboy.

Yeah, I'm 50 now and the matchmaking keeps pairing me with/pitting me against single digit command ranks. It's not fun to be in such lopsided matches.

And yeah, taunts are quite frankly worthless other than being something to do while waiting for others to select their characters

Sounds like my first time playing on Meltdown.

patchday

Yeah, I'm 50 now and the matchmaking keeps pairing me with/pitting me against single digit command ranks. It's not fun to be in such lopsided matches.

And yeah, taunts are quite frankly worthless other than being something to do while waiting for others to select their characters

when you kill someone you can taunt them. I do this all the time to demoralize enemy. It turns their camera to face you if you got last hit

when you kill someone you can taunt them. I do this all the time to demoralize enemy. It turns their camera to face you if you got last hit

I wish taunts weren't in the game... Lol

You don't know how many times my teammates feel the need to taunt during a moment where they're exposed and end up dying.

Especially when people taunt when they had like two others attacking one person. But this one is just a personal reason.

Xevren

Hit command level 55 and had a blast with the beta. My 3 favs are probably Benedict, Miko and Shayne & Aurox. Even managed to finish up all of Miko's lore challenges woo! Can't wait for the game to come out <3

Remmy2112

What's with all the quitters today? Is there no punishment for them at all.

Love this game

If you leave a game, disconnect, or whatever at any point after the initial matchmaking you are locked to that game until it finishes. You cannot start a new story or PvP map or otherwise join one until it is over. In beta people care less about that but come release I can see it being an effective deterrent.

I mean, Overwatch the main game this is competing with, comes with all the characters unlocked out of the box.

Well that's because the entire game is based off of switching heroes mid match to counter whoever the enemy has picked. The gameplay would be absolutely broken if you didn't have access to everyone from the get go. Not the case with Battleborn since everyone blind picks, who knows what they will do for the ranked mode.

Indignate

Well that's because the entire game is based off of switching heroes mid match to counter whoever the enemy has picked. The gameplay would be absolutely broken if you didn't have access to everyone from the get go. Not the case with Battleborn since everyone blind picks, who knows what they will do for the ranked mode.

Will probably be a case of you can't play ranked without a certain amount of characters unlocked. Number will depend on if bans are a thing and if duplicates are allowed.

The whole unlocking characters thing is so off-putting though, especially since this is a full priced game. Seems like the worst case of shoehorning in progression.

docbon

El Dragón is a lot more fun to play in meltdown imo. Lots of angles I can flank from, and since enemies are seperated between two lanes, I can catch players alone and wreck them with his combos.

I had a friend go 27/1 with her.

She has a lot of heals, and an attack where you don't have to aim whatsoever and chase people down till they die.

Especially if you heal power/healing received items.

You do have to aim that drain and the distance is limited. That's her only direct heal, but combined with the sunspots it stacks up-IF the person knows how to use her and the target doesn't understand how she works. The latter is more often than not true because people basically stick to what they know and healers are always least picked.

I've steamrolled plenty of Ambras, mainly by staying out of range until her shield was down and using attack up gear

daedalius

It is, despite how different the two games might be.

I guess. I'll probably be getting battleborn first, I hope it does well.

I'd think with the borderlands legacy it will sell well at least.

Kinda sad it's the last day of the beta, I could keep playing for a while!

Unfortunately, the general perception is that Battleborn is a copy of Overwatch even though the gameplay is different.

I'm getting both so :yeshrug:

I haven't really seen this that much, it's not even very prevalent on gaf now.

docbon

They launch the same month, so you could say they're competing for your money.

I'm probably going to grab Overwatch on launch, and Battleborn too if I can find a good sale.

patchday

They launch the same month, so you could say they're competing for your money.

I'm probably going to grab Overwatch on launch, and Battleborn too if I can find a good sale.
well if you got Best buy GCU card you can get it at good price ($63 with season pack included). I dont have that myself

Top Bottom