• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

Zomba13

To be fair. I'm pretty sure 90% of the reason COD is being dislike it's because it's COD.(and the trailer has a horrible cover).
Its just the popular thing to hate and now people have decided it will be fun to see how many dislikes they can get.

I think it will get down to sales to define just how sick people are of the futuristic setting

Also, it'll get more dislikes because everyone made a big deal about it so now it's a thing so more people will throw a dislike its way that might've just closed the page instead.

Plus it is bad trailer with a terrible cover of a fantastic song by a legendary artist.

Shady859

Jackfrags #1 commenter says what everyone is thinking until we are told otherwise.

The real question is if there are going to be C4 horses.

Dropped a preorder on Early Enlister (BFe3) $64 with Prime. Collectors edition seems a total rip even at $176 with Prime discount.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The Glitch Mob is pretty awesome live, let this be known.
Not some country music dubstep/edm shit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To be fair, that's still 3 times as many likes as BF1 has right now, and the people who actually watched the trailer fully eclipse the number of people who were so disgusted they disliked, let alone the people who felt they had to like.

So the sales generally stay the same.

Black Ops 2 actually had a lot of dislikes despite being the series' best selling entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3tedlWs1XY

Black Ops 3 did around ~22 million while Battlefield 4 did around ~15 million to my knowledge, so I'd expect CoD to still sell more in the end unless they can get some good momentum going.

Quasar

Did people honestly expect DICE and EA to come out with, as one of their AAA shooters, a game which was a WW1 simulator?

I didnt. But I figured the war was always ignored because of rhe lack of US involvement. Same reason US WW1 films are pretty rare.

As much as I wanted 2143, this is just as good. There was so much innovation in WW1 of weapons and machinery that it should make for a interesting game.

Yeah, it's kinda disturbing to see them taking one of the most tragic and darkest periods in human history and then talk about how awesome it is to gas people and stab them in the chest with a bayonet.

Ernst Junger's account of his experience fighting in WWI called Storm of Steel shows a different perspective, someone who believed in the war and found appeal in the nationalism and glory seeking despite the horrors.

The only book many read on WWI is All Quiet on the Western Front, which shows the anti-war perspective. There were certainly many during the period that saw this period, and war in general, as being mankinds' natural state, and the pursuit of victory as a moral imperative.

It's not a popular perspective in the 21st century to be sure, but at the time a different set of mores existed.

nOoblet16

am sorry what? COD pushed the envelope? where? did i miss something?

If you don't recall COD wasn't always futuristic. Hell it wasn't even futuristic in Ghosts despite being set in near future. Are we pretending again that they make the same game they did since COD4? lol

Mahonay

Banned
Also, correct me if Im wrong, but are map packs going to be free!? I see you get early access to maps, but I am really praying they give maps for free
I'd say they will definitely not be free. Probably a $50 premium pass for all DLC like they've done for the past few years.

Hasney

Man, is this the year of shitty covers of songs I like? First the Quantum Break Nirvana butchering, then COD and now this. Admittedly the least offensive, but fucking hell.

Pastry

Banned
Were womans allowed in the army in WW1? Doubt it really.

Who gives a crap. Its a name.

There are instances of women fighting in the war, yes. Saw a piece on a young girl that followed her father to war and ending up fighting. I believe she was Kurdish

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Was really hoping for a Steampunk fantasy Battlefield, but the target market probably would reject it.

Does look pretty solid, hope the actual game lives up to how that trailer looked.

Like, I think actual trench warfare could make for a compelling simulation in terms of gameplay.

But making WWI into just another "run really fast into each other" arcade shooter just seems kinda pointless.

Kibbles

Why were those devs bitching about no gameplay in the CoD trailer when this one showed just as much? Hypocrites.

Compsiox

Banned
I can't believe they're saying the real release is on a Friday so they can consider Tuesday early access.

Gross

Jackpot

Banned
A WW1 battlefield looks like a WW1 skin on battlefield?

You have to be incredibly dense to take the word "battlefield" literally instead of the name of the franchise. You don't see the issue with it looking like BF3 and 4?

HMD

I don't believe the person in the image is Arab. It seems likely that, that person is T.E. Lawrence, or Lawrence of Arabia. He was quite active in the Arab revolt and very influential. He used a lot of guerilla warfare tactics the proved to be key to taking down the Ottomon's, who were allied with Germany at the time.

That guy went through some shit, too. At one point he was captured and sodomized a by some Turkish leader. He ended up with tons of shrapnel wounds over the course of his stay. He was a true bad ass.

I don't think that's Lawrence, henna face tattoos are a very feminine tradition, that's like having a male soldier in the 1950's wear lipstick.

Yeah, I have to say I expected something a lot more somber and not this balls to the wall action with cool music

Agreed. Hearing that it was gonna be WW1 I thought it was gonna be a more sobering approach to Battlefield. But they went in the opposite direction it seems like.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The way the two wars were fought.

Trench warfare is the single most brutal, disturbing, horrifying form of warfare ever created. And it was fought over nothing. No grand effort to drive back the fascists, no stalwart defense of the motherland, no liberating labor camps or cities from the yolk of oppression.

Just the worlds bloodiest family squabble over nothing. Quite literally nothing.

Oh, so they should make a mainstream game about sitting in a trench that has six inches of water at the bottom for weeks on end with sporadic gunfire? Maybe simulate trench foot and the player character can go through an amputation.

You're looking for hyper-realism in the wrong genre of games. The complaints you raise don't make any sense in this context.

Glitch...Dubstep, Doesn't change a thing.

It actually does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the dislike bar on the COD trailer really won't have anything to do with sales. It's just a bunch of people mad that Modern Warfare remake is hidden behind a purchase of the newest COD, and most of those people will still probably buy the game.

viveks86

That's a damn good trailer. The music was... ehhh.. but the footage was all kinds of hype.

Here's hoping it can actually look that good on PC

KingJ2002

oh my god... that looks insane... no wonder DICE was going in on COD: Infinite Warfare... the visuals are in another league!

HowZatOZ

Banned
People are actually in preference of CoD's trailer music? The hell. It was a terrible dudebro cover of Bowie and a very tasteless one at that. At least Battlefield has the actual artist song and not a dudebro cover.

cr0w

Old Member
Oh, so they should make a mainstream game about sitting in a trench that has six inches of water at the bottom for weeks on end with sporadic gunfire? Maybe simulate trench foot and the player character can go through an amputation.

You're looking for hyper-realism in the wrong genre of games. The complaints you raise don't make any sense in this context.

It actually does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trench foot is a serious, somber condition. How dare you suggest they create a form of entertainment from that?

_woLf

One of the positives from this entire thing is that I would be surprised to see CoD go back to WW2 after the reaction to this compared to infinite warfare.

Tieske

Neo Member
We have, but I feel there is a clear difference to how Medal of Honor treated its subject manner compared to this, based on this presentation. This looks like WW1 through the lens of Michael Bay.

That's what battlefield has been about forever though

multiplayer sandbox games with high authenticity to the stage the games were set in, like the digitalized version of playing war. I suppose that's very close to glorifying war, but I don't think the game necessarily shows disrespect because the games are still very disconnected from reality despite authenticity.

The single player could be a whole different story, though

Ernst Junger's account of his experience fighting in WWI called Storm of Steel shows a different perspective, someone who believed in the war and found appeal in the nationalism and glory seeking despite the horrors.

The only book many read on WWI is All Quiet on the Western Front, which shows the anti-war perspective. There were certainly many during the period that saw this period, and war in general, as being mankinds' natural state, and the pursuit of victory as a moral imperative.

It's not a popular perspective in the 21st century to be sure, but at the time a different set of mores existed.

The majority of writers of the time frowned upon anyone who didn't write negatively of the war. Even Tolkien, whose war experience was limited, took flack for glorifying violence in his books. As I mentioned earlier, All Quiet resonated with me when I came home from AFG, as I'm sure it has with many others.

GazzaGSi

Ecstatic about this, from someone who's wanted a world war setting for the last few years now and especially since current gen has been released I can not wait for this. I always thought Treyarch would head back to the WWII era due to WaW and after blops3 (even though I enjoy it) I was kinda disappointed that it wasn't the setting I was hoping for. This reveal trailer has far exceeded my expectations of what we'd see and I can definitely see me pumping endless hours into it. Man I can't wait to see some more footage as and when it drips out, guessing E3 will be the next occasion possibly at the ms conference with them having the exclusivity rights. Over the moon though, fab stuff!

Top Bottom