• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

This gen they have, but yeah I don't think they are technically going to do anything that will force a drop to 30fps compared to BF4/Battlefront.

Indeed I'm also very excited to see how the game will perform on a current gen only development, Battlefield 4 suffered due to the 360 and PS3 versions

mcz117chief

That was two DICE games ago though. Why be stuck in a launch title when Hardline and Battlefront came out and were not a buggy mess?

Also, that is why they are advertising open beta. To allow people to have the chance to try the game and see for themselves.

They didn't even have colour back then!

Oh yes they did.
8th-bn-colour.jpg

Lead

Banned
I'm still talking about previous posts here. I'm trying to understand what your point was, since you're making a point of how inaccurate it was.
The point is that from what I've gathered in the past (and quickly looking around again) that particular regiment only suffered approximately 1500 casualties.

If I need to explain to you how insignificant that is compared to even white American loses let alone white European loses I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: That particular unit was deployed for 191 days, the war lasted 1567 days.

WillyFive

Did battlefront play like battlefront?

People have played it already and gave impressions, it plays like a Battlefield game. This is probably not a Battlefront situation were DICE fundamentally didn't understand what type of game people expected out of the brand.

El_Chino

So this Holiday for first person multiplayer dudebro shootbang we have something epic from every era: Battlefield 1 for World War, Modern Warfare Remastered for contemporary, and Infinite Warfare for futuristic.

Mein Gott.

Titanfall 2.

Das-J

Law of the West
Crazy seeing the overwhelming positivity on the net about this thing.
I think most are ready for a change, and going back to explore a REAL conflict, especially one that hasn't been touched by AAA, seems to resonate. That combined with the incredible graphical power of Frostbite leads to hype.

RE4PRR

Definitely excited about this.

Never played a WWI game and visually it looks amazing from DICE as ever, really looking forward to it.

Apath

BF4 is leaps and bounds better than it was at launch now.

They're have been multiple CTE tests over the years improving every aspect of the engine.

DICE are going into this fully prepared to deliver a sweet multiplayer experience I'd say.
Yeah, two years later. BF3 was also a mess at launch.

You don't get to release garbage and then turn around and pretend like it never happened. They need to prove themselves first.
That was two DICE games ago though. Why be stuck in a launch title when Hardline and Battlefront came out and were not a buggy mess?
Battlefront I will not comment on, but Hardline was basically an expansion pack for BF4 that was meant to exploit a yearly release schedule.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
neither here nor there on the game, but their box art treatment is so 2014

I think most are ready for a change, and going back to explore a REAL conflict, especially one that hasn't been touched by AAA, seems to resonate. That combined with the incredible graphical power of Frostbite leads to hype.

You tell those nice people at DICE and yourself, Das, they get the Elzar seal of approval

farmerboy

Not gonna lie.....that was an awesome trailer.

But if it plays anything like Battlefront then I might not join in.

only cos I'm hopeless at Battlefront :-(

The point is that from what I've gathered in the past (and quickly looking around again) that particular regiment only suffered approximately 1500 casualties.

If I need to explain to you how insignificant that is compared to even white American loses let alone white European loses I don't know what to tell you.

And those soldiers get shown quite a bit. I can't remember a World War game without a white character. It's already been said that the game shows other characters, yet here you are going on about how insignificant 1500 lives are. Perhaps they're not the right color. They certainly weren't then. Heaven fucking forbid some black guys get shown in a game for once.

This might be the first BF game I play since 1942. I usually stick to COD but I'm fucking sick of the near future jetpack stuff they have been doing (still want that MW remaster tho).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
And those soldiers get shown quite a bit. I can't remember a World War game without a white character. It's already been said that the game shows other characters, yet here you are going on about how insignificant 1500 lives are. Perhaps they're not the right color. They certainly weren't then. Heaven fucking forbid some black guys get shown in a game for once.
How about Indians?

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Got the bold section and just started laughing, brilliant troll...
or you're serious and completely out of your mind.

How about Indians?

Put them right in, if we were talking Indians, Asians, Hispanics, etc, I'd feel the same. That wasn't the topic of discussion though.

I'm sorry that I think it's silly to make a fuss because one character in a game of many happens to be of another race.

Lead

Banned
In a war that had an estimated total of 15 to 18 million casualties, yes that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things which is all I've been saying from the very beginning.

And I'll repeat myself one last time: It doesn't bother me that Dice is including black soldiers in a prominent role despite the historical insignificance.

Bobnob

They've been making games about wars for decades. Hundreds of them. This isn't even the first WW1 game by a long shot. Classics films have told many a WW1 story.
It's a fair bet that a good majority of people who game have a relative or know someone who died in a war. They are that frequent an event anywhere around the globe.
But dig this though. WW1 is not just your history. It's ours. And we all have different ways of telling the stories and history of the events and atrocities.
best post I've read.

jaaz

Quite a bit of exaggeration there, mate. It wasn't like the best video game moment ever, but it wasn't bad either. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind seeing it again, I just found it funny how you pretty much described the mission from the Order.

Don't want to detail the thread, like I said I loved the Order but thought that scene needed to be longer and show more of the areas of the zeppelin. No matter, that's the past, I'm excited to see what DICE does with zeppelins in BF1.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

I am sorry but I don't see how drawing a line in the sand with this game works. It was an atrocious war, but they all are. If you have an issue with violence in video games, that's one issue, but to take up the banner against this one conflict doesn't make sense. Do you think the Vietnamese or Americans shouldn't have been upset about BF Vietnam? Is WWII not in a way shameful for the Germans? Yet we played the crap out of that. If you are taking a moral stand against war games in general, I understand, but taking up the rallying charge against only this is selfish and completely degrades your argument.

"There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes". Your ancestors should slap the shit out of you for saying that. They answered their nations call no matter how wrong it may have been in hindsight. I don't agree with the war I fought in but I'd never degrade the sacrifices I made or that my brothers did. We volunteered to fight for our nation, no matter the cause. There may not have been glory as a nation, but there was glory and heroes among the men that fought it. Wars have not changed at all since this moment and never will. We bombed mercilessly in WWII, Vietnam, and present day. Do you think the people that we bombed in Iraq and AFG felt different than those men in the trenches? They had nothing to defend themselves against our technology and weaponry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War. How dare you act like your sacrifice is different than any other generation or any other nation. You put your foot down when it comes to this, but not when it effects others? What kind of coward are you? This is where you draw the line? If you have a principle, stand up for it in full, no when it casts an ugly light on the actions of your ancestors.

I'm not sure what I think of their handling of this yet. As I posted earlier...

I'm not really oversensitive to this stuff, but when the goofy host is talking about how great it is to bayonet people, etc. I did cringe a bit.

I do wonder how the wars I took part in will be portrayed in the future, if we are discussing the ambiguity and morale reason they were started. The loss of life is grotesque no matter what the circumstances. We are talking about WWII deaths being justified because the Nazis were certifiably bad, but not every individual that was forced to fight for Germany felt that way. Hiroshima, Dresden, etc. You can't generically say something is right and wrong. As has been mentioned, it's how it's handled and portrayed. Hopefully we get a campaign video from Dice that sends a little bit better message.

But if you are going to cry foul to this, cry foul to the whole industry, for everyone that would be effected, not just your own. This war is unique in scale only. Time will tell if they've handled this properly. It's clear from this thread that there's plenty of misinformation about this war, and the game has probably already resulted in more people going out to learn about i than anything else. Wouldn't reminding the public of the atrocities do more good than harm? Besides reminding you how shameful it makes you of your countries history?

Lakitu

st5fu
Just please let us board Zeppelins and take them down. If they don't have a Titan-esque mode, it'll be such a huge missed opportunity.

ezekial45

Banned

Ok, that's exactly what I thought you meant. It's unfortunate that you totally missed what I was saying in my original post. Again, I think it's great that the HHF are getting presence in this game because they were a unit that received little to no recognition for their service to their country. They returned to their country facing continued racism and bigotry from the country they fought for. You want to focus on the numbers, which is a bit obtuse, so the point I'm making here is that there many faces to WWI than just the white ones. So yeah, I'm pleased we're seeing them in the game.

Top Bottom