• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

I'm hyped have they confirmed if there will be ottomans in the game with the arabs?
The desert level seems to have Arabs and the other faction with the tank pictured screenshot seems to be Ottoman Turks but the Turks didn't have British Mk I or II tanks. I hope they actually put the ottomans in.
VyYZcBR.jpg

I really like the setting, but the trailer wasn't very good. Too many cues reminding me of 3 and 4, and the structure/cutting felt uninspired and generic.

I look forward to seeing gameplay at E3 though, that could definitely make up for a rather "meh" first impression. I liked the gunner on the wing though, that looked cool as heck.

diaspora

Do people actually think of EA as a conservative company?

They publicly march in gay pride parades in every city they're in.

They encourage staff to feel comfortable being publicly transgendered.

They put out AAA games starring women.

They have multiple AAA projects being helmed by women.

There was already a black man on the cover for Battlefield Hardline, which starred a hispanic man, a black man, and an asian woman.

They're not exactly Trump-central.

They brought back Mirror's Edge. A reboot to an IP starring an east-asian woman that didn't sell that well for being on 3 platforms the first time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Couple years ago there was buzz on the internets about how cool it would be to have a WW1 game. Trench warfare, horse vs gun. Scary gas masks.

EA literally saw that and like FUCK IT WE DO IT YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEa

oh and yeah this is amazing and i suddenly care about battlefield again. SEE EA take a chance and do something cool and you win.

MattyG

Banned
OMG! Another SJW "offended", just don't look at the game, don't buy the game, jesus fucking christ on a chicken basket! when will your kind go away? It's a game, dammit, shut the fuck up. I'm buying it, and playing the crap out of it.
...and here we see the other end of the overreaction spectrum.

Parallacs

Not really into either series but this video looks about 200 times more exciting than that Infinite Warfare mess of a video.

Terrible music though.

Pompadour

You remember the southpark episode when stan's uncle (jimbo) dresses up as a klan member and uses reverse psychology to get them to vote to changing the town flag? Its probably how they also convinced them to put a black guy on the cover.

I cant find the clip on youtube and now its bothering me.

I'm pretty sure putting a black guy on the cover is to signal to Americans that WW1 isn't just "boring European guys fighting each other." It's interesting/unsurprising that certain parts of the internet are reading into this choice as SJWs getting their way again. The fact that some people mistook the cover as "Steampunk Battlefield" is a good indication that they deliberately designed it in a way to defy people's expectations of what a WW1 shooter looks like.

OMG! Another SJW "offended", just don't look at the game, don't buy the game, jesus fucking christ on a chicken basket! when will your kind go away? It's a game, dammit, shut the fuck up. I'm buying it, and playing the crap out of it.

I won't miss ya.

Aters

Cuz, man, that's a living, breathing animal, you monster.

People actually did that, not with horses though. I remember the Russian army in WWII trained dogs to do suicide bomb on German tanks. If sacrificing a horse means taking down a tank and potentially saving several people, it's hard to say if it's the right or wrong thing to do.

cyber_ninja

The name is lame and there's no gameplay!!! But the trailer looked pretty good. Will keep my eye on this one even though fps is my least favorite genre. Gimme good Campaign and I might jump in.

CHC

Man these gifs are making me giddy, the game looks so fucking incredible. Really great to see some risky settings the last few years - stuff like this, Far Cry Primal, etc. It's cool.

EA literally saw that and like FUCK IT WE DO IT YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEa

That was actually the header on the leaked design docs, definitely.

well_bye.gif

Odrion

Banned
Wow I wanted to talk about how whether or not Dice is gonna turn this into assault rifle shootymans instead of bolt-action war of attritions but this took a weird turn.

Well, I hope you enjoyed your trial version of Neogaf.

I'm hyped have they confirmed if there will be ottomans in the game with the arabs?
No ottomans confirmed but Germans riding along in an Arab cavalry charge are shown in the trailer right after the scene from the screenshot you posted.

@Cover: The guy on the cover knows his weapons. If I'd been an Allied soldier in the war I'd have tried to get my hands on a Mauser C96 (screw Lugers - those things unreliable peashooters, famous for going off even with the safety on) and a MP 18 as well.

Cuz, man, that's a living, breathing animal, you monster.
Fresh meat for the field kitchen.

True Fire

I love the name Battlefield 1. It's so dumb, but it's kind of inspired at the same time. You know it took an entire committee to think of it.

You people are just as bad tbh.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Awesome!

Why that music!!??!!!!?
they dubstepped the hell out of that song
I actually really pissed off a few guys who worked on CoD AW when I brought up this kind of thing about its trailer. What I discovered is that the sound work they did had almost nothing to do with the game trailer. All of the "music" and half the sounds were actually done by an outside company that makes scores for movie trailers. It's apparently a really common thing and that's why it sounds cookiecutter AF.

The desert level seems to have Arabs and the other faction with the tank pictured screenshot seems to be Ottoman Turks but the Turks didn't have British Mk I or II tanks. I hope they actually put the ottomans in.

they showed the Hejaz train so the Ottomans have to be in

PerZona

Didn't play any WW1 games before and this looks really really good. Huge fan of BF and always prefer it over COD. But weird choice of name for the game. Not like it matters anyway though.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

ron.gif

Deadbeat

Banned
Do people actually think of EA as a conservative company?

They publicly march in gay pride parades in every city they're in.

They encourage staff to feel comfortable being publicly transgendered.

They put out AAA games starring women.

They have multiple AAA projects being helmed by women.

There was already a black man on the cover for Battlefield Hardline, which starred a hispanic man, a black man, and an asian woman.

They're not exactly Trump-central.
I was more pointing out the idea that going the opposite direction that cod is will score massive brownie points and any potential fatigue will be avoided with the new breath of fresh air.
So whos alt is this?

MattyG

Banned
Yes? How many people in this very thread do you think know the cause of it?
I feel like I know the cause of it, but at the same time I think it may not be the WHOLE reason, just a common misconception/simplification.

It was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, right?

Disxo

I feel like I know the cause of it, but at the same time I think it may not be the WHOLE reason, just a common misconception/simplification.

It was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, right?
Watch the seminal tragedy of the extracredits youtube channel.

CoG

I always wondered why there was never a WWI movie at the level of Saving Private Ryan. Pretty refreshing to see something new in games or media in general.

Overreaction much. I can also name family members that passed away in this and ww2. It's a game just like any other game. You don't like it don't buy it. Simple as that.
At least some of the point of games criticism and discussion forums is to actually talk about games. Don't like it, please do say why, why not.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.
[you know the rest]
A thing being set during WW1 doesn't inherently make it good or bad, how the subject matter is handled decides that. And it could be both good and bad, just to make the point that it's not always that simple.
This trailer and the "stabbing is cool" part of the stream certainly sets a bad first impression. But then it's not necessarily representative of the tone of the final game either. So, withhold judgment of the game until it can be properly judged. You could always try to raise your concerns to the creators though, in the hopes that it'll inform the game for the better. Preferably without calling them cunts.

People going "haha, I'm going to give EA more money and not be ashamed, in your face" are much like this game in regards to the engineer, without the class. That was mostly so I could make that funny joke. I realize you take offense to the implication that you should feel ashamed for wanting to buy this game or you're a bad person. But like, what are you hoping to accomplish here? Make someone who's evidently already feeling bad feel worse? You win, I guess. Good job.
You should feel ashamed.

Jmille99

Looks good. Still feels weird that last gen everyone clamored for future military shooters, now we are eager to get back to the past.

And Im one of the ignorant Americans that knows nothing about this war thanks to our lovely edumacation practically ignoring this period.

Be interested to see how this turns out. Especially in the story department.

I can't believe they're actually doing it. This is amazing. And it's called Battlefield fucking ONE, for crying out loud.

I can't wait to play it. Hopefully it runs as well as Battlefront does.

mitch1971

I am sorry but I don't see how drawing a line in the sand with this game works. It was an atrocious war, but they all are. If you have an issue with violence in video games, that's one issue, but to take up the banner against this one conflict doesn't make sense. Do you think the Vietnamese or Americans shouldn't have been upset about BF Vietnam? Is WWII not in a way shameful for the Germans? Yet we played the crap out of that. If you are taking a moral stand against war games in general, I understand, but taking up the rallying charge against only this is selfish and completely degrades your argument.

"There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes". Your ancestors should slap the shit out of you for saying that. They answered their nations call no matter how wrong it may have been in hindsight. I don't agree with the war I fought in but I'd never degrade the sacrifices I made or that my brothers did. We volunteered to fight for our nation, no matter the cause. There may not have been glory as a nation, but there was glory and heroes among the men that fought it. Wars have not changed at all since this moment and never will. We bombed mercilessly in WWII, Vietnam, and present day. Do you think the people that we bombed in Iraq and AFG felt different than those men in the trenches? They had nothing to defend themselves against our technology and weaponry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War. How dare you act like your sacrifice is different than any other generation or any other nation. You put your foot down when it comes to this, but not when it effects others? What kind of coward are you? This is where you draw the line? If you have a principle, stand up for it in full, no when it casts an ugly light on the actions of your ancestors.

I'm not sure what I think of their handling of this yet. As I posted earlier...

But if you are going to cry foul to this, cry foul to the whole industry, for everyone that would be effected, not just your own. This war is unique in scale only. Time will tell if they've handled this properly. It's clear from this thread that there's plenty of misinformation about this war, and the game has probably already resulted in more people going out to learn about i than anything else. Wouldn't reminding the public of the atrocities do more good than harm? Besides reminding you how shameful it makes you of your countries history?

It needs repeating.

Top Bottom