• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

Uh, Im with a dilemma, I love pc gaming but my rig is a gt640 and a third gen I5, enough to play overwatch and csgo but this...

Well, Its that or play it with my ps4. >.>

Heh...I hear ya. I have a 660TI and for the longest time only played FPS on PC. I don't feel like spending the money to get a better desktop right now so I just started playing the games on my PS4. Still fun, and while I know I am not as fast and I do fumble with aiming sometimes it's a blast still playing Battlefront on my PS4.

Already preorderd a copy of this for PS4.

Interesting that they'd separate Assault and Medic and incorporate Engineer into the Support class. If true that is; not sure how I feel about a machinegunner being your repair guy... from a gameplay point of view, Support is a mostly defensive class, not frequently running around after tanks.

Current stats of the trailers, the Battlefield 1 trailer now has more than 1 million likes, the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare trailer has 1.2 million dislikes right now also check the number of views

YVXPBKL.png

KGsbd7C.png

giphy.gif

DAyum!

Woorloog

Banned
Semi-auto rifles and SMGs and machine guns? WTF?

WHERE ARE MY BOLT ACTION RIFLES!

EDIT Applies to others as well, rifle fights are so much more interesting than SMG+melee fights.
I don't mind CQB at times but man, this is WWI when rifles were very common.

Nice trailer. I think my biggest hype factor here is that I've never ever played a WW1 game. Seems exciting and fresh.

I don't know much about the weapons and vehicles or even how it all happened and why.

Maybe I'll learn something.

Woorloog

Banned
Nice trailer. I think my biggest hype factor here is that I've never ever played a WW1 game. Seems exciting and fresh.

Finding someone who has is rather difficult for WW1 games are rare.

I played this "Blazing Skies" on SNES years ago but i think that's the only WW1 game i've played...

Finding someone who has is rather difficult for WW1 games are rare.

I played this "Blazing Skies" on SNES years ago but i think that's the only WW1 game i've played...

It has always been all about WW2. I guess it's just so much more appealing to developers and most gamers as a setting. I'm glad DICE decided to roll into WW1 :D

EDIT Applies to others as well, rifle fights are so much more interesting than SMG+melee fights.

Yeah it should be mainly bolt-action rifles. For balance I would say any sort of automatic weapon should be pretty hard to control. I mean those things were brutal, unrefined machines. Besides for mounted, stationary MGs it should be pretty difficult for these automatic weapons to have any sort of long-range, even medium range accuracy.

To add: Artillery should also be a component in this game if it is to reflect the war. Though I think to accurately reflect how big artillery was in the war would detract from the fun.

An example from Verdun though it is an outlier, it's not that much of an extreme one:
Of the 800,000 casualties at Verdun, an estimated 70 percent were caused by artillery. The Germans launched two million shells during their opening bombardment—more than in any engagement in history to that point—and the two sides eventually fired between 40 and 60 million shells over the next ten months. Rumbles from the barrages were heard as far as 100 miles away, and soldiers described certain hills as being so heavily bombed that they gushed fire like volcanoes.

So a guy on reddit is saying he believes he saw (at the behind the scenes gameplay) bolt actions (or rather that particular bolt action) bieng a 2 shot body shot kill.

Yeah it should be mainly bolt-action rifles. For balance I would say any sort of automatic weapon should be pretty hard to control. I mean those things were brutal, unrefined machines. Besides for mounted, stationary MGs it should be pretty difficult for these automatic weapons to have any sort of long-range, even medium range accuracy.

To add: Artillery should also be a component in this game if it is to reflect the war. Though I think to accurately reflect how big artillery was in the war would detract from the fun.

An example from Verdun though it is an outlier, it's not that much of an extreme one:

From the sounds of an interview, they're sort of fudging it a bit my including experimental Semi-auto rifles more than they historically were. FWIW I think giving Medic a mixture of Semi-Auto and Bolt Action that can be customized with Bayonets would be a good trade-off; whereas Scouts can only equip Scopes to their bolt action rifle. I think it'd be insane to have the Medics be Semi-Autos only; they should have at least some Bolt Actions.

I think Assault being SMGs and Trench guns makes sense though; the big takeaway I'm getting is there's sort of a move away from intermediate range combat, either you engage from far away or commit to CQB.

If there were no bolt action rifles than why would there be a bayonet charge ability and so many melee weapons ;-)?

Woorloog

Banned
Uh, the scout class?

WW1 means bolt action rifles should be standard for everyone, with SMGs etc. being options possibly not common ones.

And scout class being the sniper class means it will most likely have a scope... i prefer pure iron sights (but not really ADS systems, so that no one confuses what i'm talking about).

Alienous

WW1 means bolt action rifles should be standard for everyone, with SMGs etc. being options possibly not common ones.

And scout class being the sniper class means it will most likely have a scope... i prefer pure iron sights (but not really ADS systems, so that no one confuses what i'm talking about).

You can keep the bolt action rifles

I'll take these.

Current stats of the trailers, the Battlefield 1 trailer now has more than 1 million likes, the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare trailer has 1.2 million dislikes right now also check the number of views

YVXPBKL.png

KGsbd7C.png

giphy.gif

Not gonna read too much into that, but I guess we could say that BF fans are glad DICE went the WW1 route, which makes me very happy! Hope it'll sell accordingly.

Only 5 months to go!!!1

Battlefield has always been not exactly realistic in its presentation, so I wouldn't expect bolt action rifles to be the main weapons. And with weapon unlocks and people being able to choose their weapons of choice in battlefield, lot of people are going to be skewing towards semis and autos when possible.

They need to basically make bolt actions powerful and something people want to use.

I feel a little slow, but I just now realized there will be no helicopters.

What will take the helicopter role?

Nothing? Outside of potentially using blimps in some manner to deploy from, closest would be transport tanks, like APC's

This is a little bit off topic but I have remembered another recent game set in WW1

Toy Soldiers it was a Xbox 360 arcade game released in 2010, it was a very different game (tower defense) but still counts also it was pretty fun

Wasn't there a sequel on PS4/XO by Ubi as well?

GodofWine

So the rumor of the squad being 5 people instead of 4 is great, but then they toss in the you can have a squad of 4 friends only, and one random..WTF, thats so bizarre it cant be true.

I don't know how you guys cannot like the music. Its probably the best music pairing I have heard this gen.

The song Seven Nation Army is huge in european sports stadiums, it might be more geared toward Euro's than 'Merica, but I liked it.

From the sounds of an interview, they're sort of fudging it a bit my including experimental Semi-auto rifles more than they historically were. FWIW I think giving Medic a mixture of Semi-Auto and Bolt Action that can be customized with Bayonets would be a good trade-off; whereas Scouts can only equip Scopes to their bolt action rifle. I think it'd be insane to have the Medics be Semi-Autos only; they should have at least some Bolt Actions.

I think Assault being SMGs and Trench guns makes sense though; the big takeaway I'm getting is there's sort of a move away from intermediate range combat, either you engage from far away or commit to CQB.

There will of course be some fudging to accommodate gameplay but I just think to balance it and to give it some more realism to make up for the fudging, the autos and semi-autos should be more bouncy and harder to control than similar guns in modern games. These aren't assault rifles. I hope the bolt-action is not limited to sniper classes. It was the standard issue for the war.

I don't know how you guys cannot like the music. Its probably the best music pairing I have heard this gen.

I don't care either way about the actual song but they have one of the greatest game themes of all time just sitting in their back pocket ready to unleashed.

Mahonay

Banned
So the rumor of the squad being 5 people instead of 4 is great, but then they toss in the you can have a squad of 4 friends only, and one random..WTF, thats so bizarre it cant be true.
There's already 5 person squads in BF4. And yeah that last part about 4 friends seems off.

I was really hoping they would add a way to link two different squads for big groups that play together. It's a real pain trying to switch back to the team your friends are on when the second squad in your group gets auto-balanced to the opposite team whenever a new match starts. But, being able to move server to server together with a single squad is a nice new feature at least.

Raide

Here is an odd question...

...since we are dealing with WW1 tech here, which was prone to breaking and degrading, do you think BF1 should have things such as weapons jamming etc for realism, or just keep them all fresh and functioning, regardless of the weather etc.

The song Seven Nation Army is huge in european sports stadiums, it might be more geared toward Euro's than 'Merica, but I liked it.

I think the music is evocative of the power they want to get across at least; it's definitely stuck in my head more than ButtRock!A Space Oddity has (Actually whenever I try to think about it half of the time it accidentally turns into Starman because The Martian).

Man I'd forgotten the B.A.R. was used ruing WWI.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

...since we are dealing with WW1 tech here, which was prone to breaking and degrading, do you think BF1 should have things such as weapons jamming etc for realism, or just keep them all fresh and functioning, regardless of the weather etc.

That would be a really nice touch but if it was just a random event then I could see people getting annoyed with it. If it happened to everyone at relatively the same time (ie when it starts raining or a sandstorm) and you have some sort of dare I say it.......quick time event it may work. Not sure about it but if it was pulled off correctly it may be cool.

Coffinhal

Won't happen, BF is not a simulation and on a competitive MP it's a deal breaker because...frustration.

Lead game designer interviewed already kind of hinted that they won't do that kind of things, it needs to play the same as before in terms of speed, pacing, general game design in fact.

I don't know what you mean by weather though, if it's something affecting everyone's in the same way then it's something that could happen, but I don't would if that would be interesting.

Some are showing pics of old guns with mags from the top. Why are the mags from the top? vision is obscured and profile while aiming is prominent for enemy eyes. If it is to be easier to crawl, why not put the mag on the side like other weapons do? Anyone know?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Some are showing pics of old guns with mags from the top. Why are the mags from the top? vision is obscured and profile while aiming is prominent for enemy eyes. If it is to be easier to crawl, why not put the mag on the side like other weapons do? Anyone know?

From what I've read the side loading magazine offset the weight and make it more difficult to aim apart from when mounted. Top loading magazines are easier to drop on the ground and start firing without the mag getting caught in dirt.

By no means an expert just a quick ask Jeeves (Google) ;-)

Some of these weapons are going to be such fun. I'm more excited to use these than some of the ridiculous future weapons found in other franchises. Something about the grittiness of this that is going to be unnerving and very engrossing. Is it October yet?

Both it and Battlefield 4 are until Tuesday. One DLC pack for each is free (to keep) during that period too, with the rest being planned for the future.

BF4 is 10 bucks as well? I've been trying to get my friends into the game, and that would be a great deal. Got a link?

There is only one way this games plot can begin: a first person perspective from the Archduke of Ferdinand during his defenestration. FPS view of him being tossed out the window.

Cut immediately to Harlem, where the protagonist is sitting eating dinner and asks his wife to pass him the mustard. FORESHADOWING!

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
There is only one way this games plot can begin: a first person perspective from the Archduke of Ferdinand during his defenestration. FPS view of him being tossed out the window.

Cut immediately to Harlem, where the protagonist is sitting eating dinner and asks his wife to pass him the mustard. FORESHADOWING!

giphy.gif

Dice, use this

Won't happen, BF is not a simulation and on a competitive MP it's a deal breaker because...frustration.

Lead game designer interviewed already kind of hinted that they won't do that kind of things, it needs to play the same as before in terms of speed, pacing, general game design in fact.

I don't know what you mean by weather though, if it's something affecting everyone's in the same way then it's something that could happen, but I don't would if that would be interesting.

I do think there should be tweaks to gun-handling to be a bit more period appropriate though; gun-handling and accuracy on automatic weapons should be a bit a bit looser, encouraging people to close the distance or hold a battleline from afar.

He wasn't defenestrated though. They just shot him and his wife.

Can anyone explain to me why COD and BF even get compared to one another? They are alike in so few, few ways I just don't understand. It's like comparing Bloodborne to Witcher 3.

BF franchise

64 player max
huge maps
slower paced multiplayer generally
signature mode is control point capture
vehicles are key to the experience
less than half the games have a campaign

COD

Known equally for it's campaigns and its multiplayer
small team multiplayer is the focus
generally no vehicles
fast paced multi
not a huge variation between game modes

I really don't see many similarities outside of generally being military FPS games in the same way that Bloodborne and Witcher are gothic / fantasy 3rd person RPG's...I wish this would just stop because the last thing I want is for Battlefield to become MORE like COD.

Because some people are unable to discuss one thing without shitting on another.

Gravity.

Instead of utilizing some kind of mechanism to put the next round into the chamber, top loading mags rely on gravity. The next round simple falls into place. It might not be the case with all guns, but with a top loading machine gun, it'd allow for the gun and gunner to be closer to the ground, thus minimize the risk of being killed. The draw back was the the sights were off-set a bit, so you'd have to compensate for that.

Can anyone explain to me why COD and BF even get compared to one another? They are alike in so few, few ways I just don't understand. It's like comparing Bloodborne to Witcher 3.

BF franchise

64 player max
huge maps
slower paced multiplayer generally
signature mode is control point capture
vehicles are key to the experience
less than half the games have a campaign

COD

Known equally for it's campaigns and its multiplayer
small team multiplayer is the focus
generally no vehicles
fast paced multi
not a huge variation between game modes

I really don't see many similarities outside of generally being military FPS games in the same way that Bloodborne and Witcher are gothic / fantasy 3rd person RPG's...I wish this would just stop because the last thing I want is for Battlefield to become MORE like COD.

Because both cater to the same public.

He wasn't defenestrated though. They just shot him and his wife.

I really don't think it would be in, but the carride being playable actually would make sense; Princip initially attempted to bomb the motorcade, but the bombing failed to injure Ferdinand. It was by bad luck that the motorcade, in its confused haste to get out of Sarajevo, ended up passing the cafe Princip had been eating at.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't think it would be in, but the carride being playable actually would make sense; Princip initially attempted to bomb the motorcade, but the bombing failed to injure Ferdinand. It was by bad luck that the motorcade, in its confused haste to get out of Sarajevo, ended up passing the cafe Princip had been eating at.
He wasn't shot while his motorcade was in a 'confused haste to get out of Sarajevo'. They were on their way to visiting the people wounded by the initial bombing in the hospital when they passed by Princip.

Top Bottom