• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

5taquitos

looking at that trailer again, I just still don't know what to think.

bold choice for sure, but eh. WW1 is just a real personal war to tackle. There is no strong disconnect for the player. Trench warfare was disgusting and horrifying and personal. If they don't handle it with some level of respect for the men that lived and died in those trenches, but also don't turn away players who want nothing to do with that gameplay style... I just don't know.

People die, very brutally, in every war, so not sure how one way of dying is any different than another. And as for the level of "disconnect," WW1 started over a century ago, and the average person is far less connected to it than any other popular war setting, bar hypothetical future wars.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
People die in every war, so not sure how one way of dying is any different than another. And as for the level of "disconnect," WW1 started over a century ago, and the average person is far less connected to it than any other popular war setting, bar hypothetical future wars.

I mean more disconnect from a gameplay standpoint. Like in other wars you weren't chasing down soldiers through trenches, tackling them to the ground and stabbing them to death with a knife. The toll felt bigger from an introspective place. I dunno, I did a lot of reports on WW1 in high school as well as WW2 and the warefare felt that much more personal and brutal (not to say ww2 wasn't, because it was) and the player disconnect from the two was the weaponry and gameplay derived from it. From a gameplay and storytelling space I'm intrigued, but I'm also worried that DICE doesn't have the chops for storytelling at all given their history with the Battlefield franchise when it went story-centric.

How often does EA have sales? I'm contemplating getting a few copies of Battlefield 4 but I'd be the only one playing for about a month (semester>quarter system). Is it safe to assume that they'd have an E3 type sale?

5taquitos

I mean more disconnect from a gameplay standpoint. Like in other wars you weren't chasing down soldiers through trenches, tackling them to the ground and stabbing them to death with a knife. The toll felt bigger from an introspective place. I dunno, I did a lot of reports on WW1 in high school as well as WW2 and the warefare felt that much more personal and brutal (not to say ww2 wasn't, because it was) and the player disconnect from the two was the weaponry and gameplay derived from it. From a gameplay and storytelling space I'm intrigued, but I'm also worried that DICE doesn't have the chops for storytelling at all given their history with the Battlefield franchise when it went story-centric.

I dunno, at the end of the day, it's just the same shooting and stabbing in a different setting. The animations may be a little different, but it'll still be the same thing we've done in countless shooters before.

saladine1

Yeah, as far as I'm aware that was the case. Partially related: A redditor recently posted a photo of Franz Ferdinand they personally colourised and I think it looks marvellous. On the right is how that coat looks nowadays, blood still visible over a hundred years later.

How is the coloring done for this and for the videos of that era?

Coffinhal

They could have easily just showed us D-Day in Frostbite and those wanting historic shooters again would have probably been pleased

But tackling World War 1 is really bold

Bold because it hasn't been done before on that scale but not risky because they know they're doing it right. They understood that WW1 can look as much fun as WW2 — no need for alternate history, and their engine allows to make it look kind of brighter. There's also the good pick of locations : not only trenches make it look exotic.

So I have to ask, because of the growing skepticism in the views threads; do you think the positive reaction to BF1 has been significantly overstated?

I want to think it hasn't; I think it a lot of ways this has accomplished something BF has failed to do for many years: meaningfully differentiate itself from CoD. And I think that's why we're seeing this breakthrough, people are legitimately excited, and that in turn (as far as IW negativity goes) only makes the disappointment in IW even stronger.

Jumeira

Banned
Man, I cannot stand modern war shooters, hate CoD gameplay and skipped Battlefield 4 because of same old setting that I've been seeing for 10 years, but that looked amazing and refreshing ! Very interested. Great trailer and music. That's not dubstep. Wtf are you lot talking about.

So I have to ask, because of the growing skepticism in the views threads; do you think the positive reaction to BF1 has been significantly overstated?

I want to think it hasn't; I think it a lot of ways this has accomplished something BF has failed to do for many years: meaningfully differentiate itself from CoD. And I think that's why we're seeing this breakthrough, people are legitimately excited, and that in turn (as far as IW negativity goes) only makes the disappointment in IW even stronger.

I don't think it's that overstated, I'm someone who hasn't given a shit about military shooters since CoD4 and I''m very excited and looking to buy this game.(not at launch cause I'm aware of DICE's history) WW1 setting is a revelation.

I think it's not overstated. People grew tired of modern era military shooters.

I do think the people who're pushing the "OMG Battlefield is creaming CoD in likes/views!" angles are being too obnoxious, and that I think is partly why we're seeing a bit of a pushback in the other thread.

But to me it's a total E3 2013 scenario; all Battlefield had to do was show it totally wasn't the thing its competitor is (that a vocal portion of the community dislikes), and people will rally around its flag.

But yeah, there seems to be a growing sentiment in the threads dedicated to discussing the YT videos that the CoD Dislikes and BF1 Views/Likes are driven by a botnet and like... I don't wanna be that guy but I feel like several of the posters are trying to claim that the enthusiasm for BF1 is being astroturfed like the grievances with IW are artificial.

How is the coloring done for this and for the videos of that era?

As far as I know, coloring a black and white image is done artificially which means you editor has to choose what colors to use. The colors don't come naturally in the process, they have to be all picked. I was looking at the medals and I think the editor either chose the colors for the medals with liberty or they looked into it and chose the same ones (from descriptions of the medals or colored pictures).
For example, you can make the eyes, hair and skin any color. They need a description of those as a reference to chose accurate colors.

IMO the problem with CoD is that in their attempt to going more futuristic, they've stumbled into genres that other games do and have been doing better. Like my brother said, if he wants a sci-fi shooter with vehicular combat, he'll play Battlefront. We've had games, more impressive games, do ground-to-space flight. We have Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Battlefield 2142 is a decade old. Titanfall and Destiny exist

What new or interesting things does a super futuristic CoD bring to the table? Aside from the set pieces and the established multiplayer, it's suddenly outclassed by other games in the areas it's touting as new for the series

In contrast, Battlefield looks fresh, brutal, different from anything else out now and even from WW2 shooters of the past

Personally, my excitement is in part caused by my disappointment in BF4. BF1 looks night and day better than it graphically. Being different with multiple SP stories and new MP style are pluses.
BC2 was such a HUGE leap from CoD:MW2 (last CoD I played). BF3 was a clear leap from there. BF4 was a disappointment in terms of a graphical leap and theme (I still get confused by stills and videos at first glance whether it is a 4 or a 3 game). I saw their Star Wars game and I was blown away. It's like a different gen.

Trojan X

Banned
This

BF4 was like BF3.5

I put over 1000 hours into BF3, but only 400 or so into 4

It just felt too samey for me to really enjoy it

It felt too different for all the wrong reasons tor me. I also pumped over 1000 hours into BF3 and I am still pumping more into it. I got the full package of BF4 but I don't like it at all.

Ok this is my opinion about the whole like/dislike situation before I start please keep in mind that I'm a content creator on Youtube with 6 years of experience this is what I do for a living P.S long post ahead

Call of Duty and Battlefield are 2 of the biggest gaming franchises of all time whether you like them or not they are very popular, since 2012 with Black Ops 2 a lot of CoD fans were angry with Treyarch and Activision about the future sci fi setting but of course BO2 it's the #1 CoD game when it comes to sales so those opinions were a minority can't blame them the game is solid but now? with a very disappointing Ghosts and the natural rejection of the exo system in Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3 people are starting to tired of the sci fi setting in FPS because let's be honest we have a lot of games like that in the recent years (Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Ghosts, Titanfall, Halo MCC, Advance Warfare, Halo 5, Black Ops 3 etc) Advance Warfare was very rejected by the competitive community I know this because I have also been a Caster since 2014 a lot of people wanted a game with a setting in the past (WW2) or in the present in other words "Boots on the ground"

And after the Infinite Warfare reveal people started to feel angry and disliked the trailer, but hey we have a product for you people it's the first Modern Warfare Remastered you just have to pay $80 to get it . . . that was good businesses decision but a bad PR one so after 1 week of a perfect social media coverage by EA and DICE (the devs bashing CoD, the videos on Facebook, Twitter etc) we finally see Battlefield 1 a game set not in WW2 but even better WW1 a setting barely touched in games with guess what BOOTS ON THE GROUND!

Now Battlefield is not a unpopular franchise so it was pretty obvious to see a lot of views but this amount of views? yes it's crazy but are they using bots to boost their likes and views while at the same time attack the CoD trailer? I don't think so, like I said I'm a Youtuber I make content on a daily basis and yes I know exactly what kind of methods you can use to boost your views, subscribers etc of course I don't use them but how do I know that EA or DICE are not using them? well it's simple the amount of people on Youtube and other social media even forums like here NeoGAF for example are talking all the time about Battlefield 1 it's 2016 the Internet has a huge roll when it comes to people attention and publicity that's why you pay to have advertisements but the amount of good reception Battlefield 1 it's getting it's massive remember folks today kids don't get their news on gaming magazines, they get it via Youtubers or with the latest trending topic

Also you can't pay $ to get dislikes on a video with the tools I mentioned so yeah I think the majority of these are legit with some people just trolling but the majority are real

Thank you for your attention with the long post here is a cute Pusheen Rex :p

tumblr_lttc0jdSU81qhy6c9o5_400.gif

Daffy Duck

What's your YT channel? I like the cut of your gib.

I understand you may not be able to say it openly as it might be self promotion but please spam me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I feel bad for CoD. It's a generic trailer yes, but it doesn't deserve so much hate. I think people are as eager to jump on the hate train as they are jumping on the hype train.

Or maybe lots of people just hate it.

Fhtagn

looking at that trailer again, I just still don't know what to think.

bold choice for sure, but eh. WW1 is just a real personal war to tackle. There is no strong disconnect for the player. Trench warfare was disgusting and horrifying and personal. If they don't handle it with some level of respect for the men that lived and died in those trenches, but also don't turn away players who want nothing to do with that gameplay style... I just don't know.

Yeah, if people in this thread are wondering why World War 1 in particular is a sticking point for some people, I recommend listening to the Hardcore History podcast episodes Blueprint for Armageddon.

Fascinating, but so depressing that I had to skip out on an episode after they got into the part about how PTSD wasn't a recognized thing yet, and WW I was particularly traumatic war, so lots of soldiers in WW I who had PTSD were shot for deserting or forced back to the front while crazy.

Personally, my excitement is in part caused by my disappointment in BF4. BF1 looks night and day better than it graphically. Being different with multiple SP stories and new MP style are pluses.
BC2 was such a HUGE leap from CoD:MW2 (last CoD I played). BF3 was a clear leap from there. BF4 was a disappointment in terms of a graphical leap and theme (I still get confused by stills and videos at first glance whether it is a 4 or a 3 game). I saw their Star Wars game and I was blown away. It's like a different gen.

I'm on the BF1 Seige Gun Train myself, but does this really look, graphically speaking, an order of magnitude better than BF4's reveal?

Yeah, if people in this thread are wondering why World War 1 in particular is a sticking point for some people, I recommend listening to the Hardcore History podcast episodes Blueprint for Armageddon.

Fascinating, but so depressing that I had to skip out on an episode after they got into the part about how PTSD wasn't a recognized thing yet, and WW I was particularly traumatic war, so lots of soldiers in WW I who had PTSD were shot for deserting or forced back to the front while crazy.

Eh, but that's mainly because we've contextualized some wars as 'better' than others. Just because we rationalize WWII as a 'good war' doesn't make it any less brutal or absurd to those fighting it; Catch-22, albeit absurdist fiction, captures that nicely. Hell Vietnam, which is an even more politically problematic war than WWI, has been made into a variety of fast paced shooters. Claiming that some wars are more acceptable to be trivialized than others is absurd.

does this really look, graphically speaking, an order of magnitude better than BF4's reveal?
I remember the first time I've seen a video of BF4 and for a second I thought they were showing BF3 then switching as to show the difference (we are talking immediate reaction). Also, being tied with previous gen hindered it. I don't play Star Wars, but looking at trailers and gameplay of that, it looks ridiculously good. BF1 looks like SW. BF4 now looks outdated next to those. SW is the best looking shooter out there. I don't know about PC vs consoles, or maybe some are used to these levels of graphics, but they are a head-turner for me. The tank in BF1 looks way more detailed and the lighting is so much better than any tank I've seen before.

Yup. Probably no news till next month when they do their E3 show. Still, the game is 6 months away. It's going to be quite then slow for a few months.

Things confirmed in the last hour or so:

Server Browser
Weapon attachments authentic to the era
Dynamic vehicle damage model, which affects said vehicles for example destroying the wing of a plane
Various Navy vessels
Melee weapons have their own unique attributes

Server Browser
Dynamic vehicle damage model, which affects said vehicles for example destroying the wing of a plane
Various Navy vessels

Nice
I can't wait to get into a biplane!

Server Browser
Various Navy vessels
Probably means you can take out tank treads

I hope that is true. I mentioned it before as something I want and I think it will add to the gameplay.
I just hope the game launches without very many online issues.

Although nothing is guaranteed in development of complex software, there is no indication it will have issues. EA and Dice have released big online games since 2013 with no issues. I am not worried.

Theorry

The content self was always worth it. But after a month alot of servers with dlc maps are dead and alot of people go back again to vanilla. Wich is such a shame always.

Top Bottom