• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2 Thread(360)

Captain N

battlefield2.jpg

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat

IGN
Images
Videos
Review

Gamespot
Images
Videos
Reviews
Video Review

battlefield2image.jpg

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm debating about picking this up today. I really enjoy the gameplay. The reviews didn't set the world on fire, but neither did they for the original console title and it was way underappreciated.

thorns

Banned
my copy is on the way.. I agree that this game is way underappreciated. It's not groundbreaking or anything, just really fun..
Same goes for Top Spin.

thorns said:
my copy is on the way.. I agree that this game is way underappreciated. It's not groundbreaking or anything, just really fun..
Same goes for Top Spin.

Agreed! I hope my copy is shipped from the EA store today (saved $15 orderiing from them online). So I guess I'll see some of you guys online. ;)

Tiger

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I'm debating about picking this up today. I really enjoy the gameplay. The reviews didn't set the world on fire, but neither did they for the original console title and it was way underappreciated.
This is the truth. The original game on PS2/Xbox was highly underrated last year. Yet I was blown away by the online play on the PS2 version.

So, while i'm not expecting shock & awe from Battlefield 360, I do expect it to be the same great multiplayer experience, with a slightly improved single player experience. The never even touched the single player in the original game last fall. Now I know the achievements alone will motivate me into finishing the single player mode.

The other wonderful thing about this game that is has over GRAW, is the fact that the multiplayer matches involve no waiting. No wasted time waiting in lobbies for a match to end, so you can get involved. I love me some GRAW, but Battlefield is the instant gratification game, and I like that.

I'm looking forward to some GAF matches tonight. Hopefully Dennoginizer will be on board as well. I'll be one for sure tonight.

Kingpen

Damn... I was trying so hard to hold out on this, but now I am back on the fence with the IGN review. The paragraph at the end is what got me thinking again....

"This is really a good port of an already existing game. If you love Battlefield and can't get enough, go for it. And if you're totally new to the genre, get going. This is a hell of a fun game, even if it's not the best Battlefield around. "

I've never played the Battlefield series before....
And then I keep thinking, after this game today, there is a hell of a long drought coming up of quality X360 games... I don't know how I am going to be able to stop from going to Walmart and giving them my cash for this today.

Tiger

Banned
Kingpen said:
Damn... I was trying so hard to hold out on this, but now I am back on the fence with the IGN review. The paragraph at the end is what got me thinking again....

"This is really a good port of an already existing game. If you love Battlefield and can't get enough, go for it. And if you're totally new to the genre, get going. This is a hell of a fun game, even if it's not the best Battlefield around. "

I've never played the Battlefield series before....
And then I keep thinking, after this game today, there is a hell of a long drought coming up of quality X360 games... I don't know how I am going to be able to stop from going to Walmart and giving them my cash for this today.
You're right. I look at this as the last good 360 game we're gonna get for at least a month or two. Thats if certain games even make their supposed May/June dates.

Pick it up. You can't go wrong. I think you'll enjoy the hell out of the vehicles and the mayhem they bring with a group of people you know online.

TheDuce22

Banned
The demo was awesome as far as im concerned. I think most of the complaints are from people who have played previous verions. This would be my first batlefield game. Hopefully they are still doing that sell 2 and get a game free deal.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
TheDuce22 said:
The demo was awesome as far as im concerned. I think most of the complaints are from people who have played previous verions. This would be my first batlefield game. Hopefully they are still doing that sell 2 and get a game free deal.

I never played any BF game prior to the 360 demo and have never been compelled to play it more than once.

Tiger

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
I never played any BF game prior to the 360 demo and have never been compelled to play it more than once.
You might have already made up your mind, but I would greatly encourage your to rent the final game. That demo was a little rough around the edges, and very few people were playing the game together when that demo first hit.

To enjoy this game, you really have to play it with people who are taking it seriously. I don't say this about a game to often, but I would count my time spent playing this game on the PS2 last fall, as some of the best gaming time i've ever had. It was that enjoyable.

Just rent it, and play it with some fellow gafers one night. Your perspective will change if you do that.

ibu

I loved the demo but I aint gettin the game till I come into some more money and can finally upgrade my xbl account.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Tiger said:
You might have already made up your mind, but I would greatly encourage your to rent the final game. That demo was a little rough around the edges, and very few people were playing the game together when that demo first hit.

To enjoy this game, you really have to play it with people who are taking it seriously. I don't say this about a game to often, but I would count my time spent playing this game on the PS2 last fall, as some of the best gaming time i've ever had. It was that enjoyable.

Just rent it, and play it with some fellow gafers one night. Your perspective will change if you do that.

Yeah, I'm still going to pick it up eventually (or sooner than that if the retail is better than expected). The game's scale seemed kind of strange to me. Maybe the MP maps were too big. I dunno.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Tiger said:

I played it on Xbox mostly, but I concur. It's just a total blast and terribly addictive. The demo was a poor representation.

DaCocoBrova said:
Yeah, I'm still going to pick it up eventually (or sooner than that if the retail is better than expected). The game's scale seemed kind of strange to me. Maybe the MP maps were too big. I dunno.

I really enjoy the PC version (shame about the bugs), but I couldn't get into the X360 demo. If you have a decent enough PC, I'd suggest giving that a try instead. I think the scale feels a lot better too.

Tiger

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Thats another thing about the demo. That was not one of the best maps. That level is a little dead looking, and sort of meh. Once you know the game better, you might enjoy that level more, but as a starter level, it's not good at all.

There are some truly fantastic maps in the full game, and many of them are tighter, and far more interesting to battle in. You get a wide diversity of enviornments too. Tight urban streets reminiscent of Baghdad, an open foggy valley with heavy foliage and greenery, snowy cold war bases, and more.

I'm a total whor for the BF series.
I'll be enjoying this when my system gets back from MS.

I look forward to playing on a well oiled team of fellow Gaffer

GT: unemplizoid

Kingpen

DAMN! that is some bad luck right there! Shit!

yeah, I'll be swinging by walmart to pick this up I decided... Too hard to resist when you just have video game money lying around waiting for the next big release (6 months down the line)

Tiger

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
I look forward to playing on a well oiled team of fellow Gaffer

GT: unemplizoid
I'm assuming youll have lots of time to play it with a name like that. :lol

DarkAngelYuna said:
And I load the first level... the system makes a popping noise and turns off.. 3 red lights now... wtf...
OMG that sucks. I would be so pissed if that happened to me. Even though I coughed up the damn $60 for Microsoft's 2 year warranty. :/

Heh, I ended up unplugging the power cord from the power brick and plugging it back in. The system then turned on and is working fine... Unplugging it from the system didn't work for some reason the first time..
I'm playing online instead.. too scared to play offline.

Deg

Banned
Emiru said:
I hate this game, its so generic and boring.
:lol I guess everything is judged by looks in GAF and not design.

DSN2K said:
Fantastic soundtrack btw, Ive gotta few tracks and use them now when I BF2 on PC. :D

Can you share/give links?

Tiger

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
Rofl, I'm playing "The Nest" and theres this sound clip that sounds just like the song In My Pocket by Mandy Moore..
Oh man, i'm remembering how sweet some of these levels are. The Nest was one of my favorites. :)

Just got back from Gamestop with my copy. Only 4 more hours til I can play it.

Tiger said:
I'm assuming youll have lots of time to play it with a name like that. :lol

OMG that sucks. I would be so pissed if that happened to me. Even though I coughed up the damn $60 for Microsoft's 2 year warranty. :/

Sigh... I hate the name. It's an inherited tag from getting my system from Ebay.

But I can't bring myself to spend the $10 to change it to my name here.
I assure you, I'm employed... that's where I do 90% of my posting from.

Tiger

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
Sigh... I hate the name. It's an inherited tag from getting my system from Ebay.

But I can't bring myself to spend the $10 to change it to my name here.
I assure you, I'm employed... that's where I do 90% of my posting from.
Thats cool. You don't have to prove your employment to me. It's pretty much a requirement to have a job, if you own a 360 and routinely buy game for it. :lol

It's sort of like my second wife.

Kingpen

I couldn't resist the urge... picked it up at lunch with Metal Gear Acid 2 and told the gamestop clerk I wouldn't be back until July at least. He laughed as he has seen me in there so many times this past March...

By never playing battlefield, I trust the reviews the game got back in Nov on Xbox (8.9 in think) vs. the ones that are coming out for this version.

I'm done for the summer with buying games. Only 1 out my 10 games I have currently in my collection have I gotten the 1000 achievement points on. I got a lot of gaming to do!

Gamertag: Kingpen66

Tiger

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Tiger you should start a GAF clan.

I just picked up my copy. Last one at the shop. I threw MLB at a magazine rack.
Hmm. I'm not so sure i'd be the best person to start a clan. I guess I could do it though. It's just that i've never had any experience with PC gaming and i've never even been part of a real clan before. So, i'm a bit of a newb to the world of clan matches and the like.

I'd certainly love to be a part of one though. Clan battles would be intense.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's just an easy way for all of us to have people to play with. The game is more fun that way. If it leads to clan matches and such, groovy.

Tiger

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
It's just an easy way for all of us to have people to play with. The game is more fun that way. If it leads to clan matches and such, groovy.
Yeah, I guess i'll do it. Hopefully it doesn't require too much work. I'll check it out tonight. Hopefully a bunch of us are on.

I should be on around 5:30pm central time.

Tiger

Banned
Can anyone confirm that this game is really dark on their tv?

I just saw several people on the IGN boards upset about it. This does seem to be an annoying trend among certain games in the past year. For some reason these developers don't figure out somewhere along the way that their game is just too dark. Doesn't make sense to me.

I know my tv is pretty accurately tuned, so i'll certainly be bitching if it is in fact dark on my set. :/

Also, people on another board are reporting the voice chat bugs are still present in the final game. *cue rolleyes*

Tiger said:

I have to agree with Tiger on this one. I bought and played the XBox version. I liked it a lot and thought it was a decent game to play with pals and pass the time. It wasn't until I saw the young kids in my neighborhood play together that I was in awe. The way they moved and had tactics and strategies layed out from hours of constantly playing together blew my mind! These kids were constantly on the move and always working on something. It was like watching an ant farm on steroids! They even showed an old dog some new tricks. When you see the game played the way it was desgined to be played you will come away very impressed. The single player was good bt I got stuck on one level and it drove me insane, I hope EA has flushed out some of the mission objectives more, a little tweaking was all the single player exerience needed. It was cool and fun then became nigh impossible half way in.

fse

I think this game is better than GRAW for me, its more my type of game than a slow ghost recon game.

Picked it up today and not terribly interested in the single-player, so I jumped into an online game. Fun and wanted more, but there's NO SERVERS and NO WAY to start your own!?!?

WTF!?!?

Anyone else experience this?

ibu

Twitchfactor said:
Picked it up today and not terribly interested in the single-player, so I jumped into an online game. Fun and wanted more, but there's NO SERVERS and NO WAY to start your own!?!?

WTF!?!?

Anyone else experience this?

Welcome to EA running there servers.

EA:We AM BUTT FUCK YOU.... yes you!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If the usual suspects are still playing this by the time I get my 360 back, then I'll purchase immediately.

If not, then I'll be staring at Lara's bewbs.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tiger said:
Can anyone confirm that this game is really dark on their tv?

I just saw several people on the IGN boards upset about it. This does seem to be an annoying trend among certain games in the past year. For some reason these developers don't figure out somewhere along the way that their game is just too dark. Doesn't make sense to me.

I know my tv is pretty accurately tuned, so i'll certainly be bitching if it is in fact dark on my set. :/

Also, people on another board are reporting the voice chat bugs are still present in the final game. *cue rolleyes*

Pretty much any game with HDR lighting is too dark on my screen (30" Sony WEGA CRT). And my screen is well calibrated.

In Oblivion, it was a matter of adjusting the in-game brightness. PGR3, on the otherhand, didn't have this. The brightness calibration screen they give you that you're supposed to adjust your TVs brightness against would screw up my calibration if I adjusted it that high.

Top Bottom