• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042: in-depth look

cormack12

Gold Member
in-depth (sort of)

Summary
Cutting edge tech will impress the players the most like large scale airfights;
Players will appreciate the creativity and options to solve problems on the battlefield;
Three distinct experiences (only AAW was described):
- all out warfare, classic bf experience. Massive war. Air, land and sea. All out warfare can be:
- conquest (staple for franchise);
- breakthrough (guided experience, takes you on a journey across the map. Attackers v defenders in specific environments. Forces the player into chaos pockets);
128 players means you can see a lot of vehicles rolling across the map and feel part of something bigger;
Altered level design to support this, called clustering. Massive Battlefield with clusters of objectives. Doha is one of the largest maps in 2042:
- In the South fully destructible buildings and villages;
- In the East will be high rise skyscrapers and have roof to roof combat, ziplines etc.;
Each area will be focused on certain gameplay (CQC, infantry, sniping, vehicular);
As weather events pass it changes lighting, visibility etc. which is why you can customise attachments on the fly (IR sights for reflex, 1.5x for 3.4x etc)
Tornado will swallow any vehicles, players etc.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I was impressed by how unimpressed I am with this. I honestly think they haven't a clue why people played battlefield back in the day, il give you a hint it wasent because you had a tornado in the match I can tell you that right now.

This feels like the mentality behind Battlefield: Hardline of "oh that's cool" and we all know how many people continued to play that one.

Klik

I hope overall destruction and especially micro-destruction is gonna be good. But since its crossgen i don't think its gonna be better than BF1/BF5 destruction.They probably can't make PS4/X1 version that much different than PS5/XsXS

Also fully destructable villages/areas were in BF4 aswell, so nothing new here

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Im more interested to know about the "AI" they talking about

Luipadre

I was impressed by how unimpressed I am with this. I honestly think they haven't a clue why people played battlefield back in the day, il give you a hint it wasent because you had a tornado in the match I can tell you that right now.

This feels like the mentality behind Battlefield: Hardline of "oh that's cool" and we all know how many people continued to play that one.

This is exactly what old BF players want. A huge ass sandbox with tools to fuck around.

supernova8

Banned
Not an "in-depth look" and also no new footage. Plus, they actually streamed a long version of this with more information on their own channels so this segment in the Xbox showcase felt kinda pointless to me.

Xeaker

Maps are too big, I like them smaller like in Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3.
Sandstorm and Tornado looks very annoying.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I find it difficult to believe anyone is going to be 'blown away' by this. After all, with this game DICE must support:

XB1, X1X, XSS, XSX,

PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5,

PC

It is going to be at a slightly higher resolution, higher player count, and a few extra graphical bells and whistles on PC and PS5/XSX. It is otherwise a last gen game.

MiguelItUp

I find it difficult to believe anyone is going to be 'blown away' by this. After all, with this game DICE must support:

XB1, X1X, XSS, XSX,

PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5,

PC

It is going to be at a slightly higher resolution, higher player count, and a few extra graphical bells and whistles on PC and PS5/XSX. It is otherwise a last gen game.
The Frostbite engine has always been very attractive in a variety of ways, so I fully believe that it will continue to look really nice. Especially on PC and potentially on next-gen consoles. As always, that's subjective anywho.

I think the majority are just excited about the gameplay experience rather than just graphics. Which, IMO, is what the BF series has always been about.

OrtizTwelve

I agree.

I myself was also surprised how I wasn't too impressed with any of this, it looks like a more cartoony take on the franchise.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

I don't want to poo poo on your comment but, no, old school battlefield types just want a sandbox and crazy "only in battlefield moments", and they are giving players those toys with this game 100%. The tornado is a little polarizing but since it is random, and wont always show up on maps, I think it wont get too stale.

I have played BF since 1942 and this is the game I want. Battlefield has never been realistic, it has always had decent authenticity with over the top crazy shit you can do. That is the games draw over COD. If you want a sim go play tarkov or arma.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
The Frostbite engine has always been very attractive in a variety of ways, so I fully believe that it will continue to look really nice. Especially on PC and potentially on next-gen consoles. As always, that's subjective anywho.

I think the majority are just excited about the gameplay experience rather than just graphics. Which, IMO, is what the BF series has always been about.
Next-Gen isn't just about a slightly prettier coat of paint, which is entirely my point.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
No new gameplay, that's a bummer. I'm calling it now, players will get annoyed at the over the top tornadoes and dust storms... so they will likely have variations of these maps with the storm events removed... or they will reduce the occurrences of them. If the tornado happened every time you play that map, I could see it becoming annoying like "oh great... here's the tornado again, there goes my visibility".

But if they happened rarely, like once in every 20 matches, that would be something special and I think people would love it every time it happened.

DuckZilla

Neo Member
Did they ever say anything regarding maps having dynamic time of day or was it a rumor? I wish they do, I feel it would add to the overall experience.

Derktron

Banned

I thought the same thing, I mean battlefield is also known for weather dynamics but the tornados is over the top. I can understand heavy weather like rain or dust storms, or heavy snow but I feel like tornadoes is over the top.

Fake

This most happens with every modern dev team. Those guys used to make that particular game are not there anymore, so they create this disconnection with their our playerbase.

Just means more running when you respawn.

This too. Increase the map size and the number of players don't necessary mean the game will be fun/good to play.

Players will appreciate the creativity and options to solve problems on the battlefield;

This quote is so dumb lmao.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Man I only wish they will have some free to play/week announce during launch, only then I would hope to buy.
Guess 1 month gamepass sub will do

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Man I only wish they will have some free to play/week announce during launch, only then I would hope to buy.
Guess 1 month gamepass sub will do
Just try the Beta :messenger_grinning: that is what I will be doing before deciding to purchase. And I'm willing to bet they will have one of these crazy weather maps in the beta to test our their new physics mechanics related to the storms.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The recommended specs on this is a 3070. Phewwwww I can't wait to see what this game looks like on PC vs Console.

RaptorGTA

No new gameplay, that's a bummer. I'm calling it now, players will get annoyed at the over the top tornadoes and dust storms... so they will likely have variations of these maps with the storm events removed... or they will reduce the occurrences of them. If the tornado happened every time you play that map, I could see it becoming annoying like "oh great... here's the tornado again, there goes my visibility".

But if they happened rarely, like once in every 20 matches, that would be something special and I think people would love it every time it happened.
I assume it will be every match much like Gulf of Oman. I personally liked when the Duststorm came as it altered the gameplay of the map. I bet we will see features later on where the weather is disabled.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Where are you seeing the spec requirements? They are not listed on Origin or Steam.
You know what, you got me. I was looking at a couple of different sources on google, but it seems the information varies. I was reading this and thought they just pulled it straight from EA DICE. My question is, why would people post anything that's not official? Here I'll just post it.

These are ESTIMATED system requirements. Nothing official yet.

Battlefield 2042 Minimum System Requirements​

• CPU : AMD FX-8350/ Core i5 6600K
  • RAM : 8GB RAM
  • GPU / Video Card : GeForce GTX 1050 Ti / AMD Radeon RX 570
  • Storage : TBC
  • Operating System : Windows 8.1 & Windows 10 (64-bit or later)

Battlefield 2042 Recommended System Requirements​

• CPU : Intel Core i7-5820K / AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • RAM : 16 GB RAM
  • GPU / Video Card : GeForce RTX 3070 / Radeon RX 6800
  • Storage : TBC
  • Operating System : Windows 10 or later (64-bit)
Here's another source, conflicting info:

BATTLEFIELD 2042 MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS​

• CPU: Core i5 6600K / AMD FX-8350
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: DirectX 11.0 Compatible video card with 2 GB VRAM (AMD Radeon HD 7850/Nvidia GeForce GTX 660)
  • HDD SPACE: 50 GB

BATTLEFIELD 2042 RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS​

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 / AMD Ryzen 3 1300X or equivalent
  • RAM: 12 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: DirectX 11.1 Compatible video card 8GB AMD Radeon RX 580 / 6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060)
  • HDD SPACE: 50 GB
One more for good measure

Battlefield 2042 Minimum System Requirements​

• CPU: AMD FX8350 / Core I5 6600K
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 / AMD Radeon RX 560
  • Storage: 80 GB
  • Operating System: Windows 8.1 & Windows 10

Battlefield 2042 Recommended Specs​

• CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K / AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2060 / AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
  • Storage: 80 GB
  • Operating System: Windows 10
Even the storage differs...jesus.

Last edited:

hlm666

It's feeling like the tornado is the new shanghai tower, and by that I mean probably going to be the only real game changing event/levelution map in the game at release. Some of these other maps are gonna be phoned in hard.

R6Rider

Gold Member
To clear up a few concerns and misinformation here:

1) You can call in air drop transport vehicles (and some armored ones like tanks) at pretty much any time or location. Don't worry about having to run everywhere.

2) The tornado will NOT happen every match, and will also not occur in the same location nor follow the same path each time.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm assuming calling in vehicles airdrop will be limited by some sort of points system?
I'm guessing so as well. Can't have everyone calling in tanks. My guess is a combination of a point system and a limit per squad based on the vehicle type. There might be a cooldown on them as well.

Jeeps would be cheap/fast to spawn in while a tank would be much more costly and/or with a much longer cooldown.

Naked Lunch

Everything is looking and sound great.
BF3/4 as a template - finally off that craptastic Battlefront engine and animations.
BF has never been above 64 player since the series inception - ive been waiting for large player counts for a long time now.
I like that certain bases are so big there is multiple cap points within them.
Im wondering if commanders and squadleaders have returned in any capacity. They were essential in BF2 to help the game flow.

I'm assuming calling in vehicles airdrop will be limited by some sort of points system?
I’m hoping it’s like the system in Planetside 2, that game does it so well.

BF2042 is giving me tons of Planetside 2 vibes, I hope they learn from the things that make that game so great.

Warablo

Everything is looking and sound great.
BF3/4 as a template - finally off that craptastic Battlefront engine and animations.
BF has never been above 64 player since the series inception - ive been waiting for large player counts for a long time now.
I like that certain bases are so big there is multiple cap points within them.
Im wondering if commanders and squadleaders have returned in any capacity. They were essential in BF2 to help the game flow.
Don't know about that one yet. They shot their gun once throughout that whole trailer.

Gamers want staying power, liken it to a movie, this is a Michael Bay movie, fun but zero staying power. Maybe they will learn next year?
If it's anything like BF 3/4 which it looks like it might, it will have plenty of staying power. My concern is the limited attachments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom