• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Alpha Test Invites Going Out [Psyduck And Conquest At GamesCom]

kpx0

Banned
Kyaw said:
These are taken from the 1080p/60fps version of the trailer.

Downsized from 1080p to 720p:

3lepm.png

1yfmc.png

2te6q.png

It's fine, although it could do with smaller score pop ups.

these shots look more like BF:BC2.5 than the BF3 trailers

Tendo

Something I worry about is that you will die much faster in this game than BFBC2. The footage I've seen hasn't shown much either way. Has anyone commented on that? I'm afraid of COD like feel where you get sneezed on and die. I like being able to take a few shots in BC2

JackEtc

Kyaw said:
These are taken from the 1080p/60fps version of the trailer.

Downsized from 1080p to 720p:

1yfmc.png

It's fine, although it could do with smaller score pop ups.

So what was the red in the sight from this part of the trailer?

dkeane

Tendo said:
Something I worry about is that you will die much faster in this game than BFBC2. The footage I've seen hasn't shown much either way. Has anyone commented on that? I'm afraid of COD like feel where you get sneezed on and die. I like being able to take a few shots in BC2
I thought vietnam was perfect, although I could see that being frustrating for newcomers.

Tendo

dkeane said:
I thought vietnam was perfect, although I could see that being frustrating for newcomers.

I haven't played much Vietnam, not a huge fan of the setting/ weapons. How was that handled compared to vanilla?

zulfate

what the hell GAF this game looks fine jeez lol

our standards must have gone too high now...i feel like we are all graphic snobs lol...omg! omg! what is that *looks closely* fuck no! you see this branch hell nah that shits looks like 8-bit pixel..fuuuuuuuuck that shit!

lol sorry

Kibbles

People thinking it doesn't look as good as the older trailers need to realize this is Multiplayer, not Single Player.

Nizz

After reading IGN's preview of the PS3 version of this game, I was left more concerned than hyped. They said the game was running fine but weren't sure just how well it would continue to run with all the missing effects/destruction put in.

Also, showing a pre-alpha version of BF3 console so late in the game is worrying to me. Game is out in October and they have to be finished at least sometime in September I'm assuming so they can get certified and begin mass producing copies.

And we still haven't even seen the 360 version yet. I really hope they pull it off in the end. I'm really excited for the game but I'm just a little worried they're cutting it close...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
purple cobra said:
After reading IGN's preview of the PS3 version of this game, I was left more concerned than hyped. They said the game was running fine but weren't sure just how well it would continue to run with all the missing effects/destruction put in.

Also, showing a pre-alpha version of BF3 console so late in the game is worrying to me. Game is out in October and they have to be finished at least sometime in September I'm assuming so they can get certified and begin mass producing copies.

And we still haven't even seen the 360 version yet. I really hope they pull it off in the end. I'm really excited for the game but I'm just a little worried they're cutting it close...
Pre-alpha is pre-beta, alpha is an actual beta, and the 'beta' is a demo. They're not gonna release a broken version of their biggest game this year to the public if they're aiming for CoD's crown. Not unless they want people to think that BF3 is going to be a buggy mess.

zulfate said:
what the hell GAF this game looks fine jeez lol

our standards must have gone too high now...i feel like we are all graphic snobs lol...omg! omg! what is that *looks closely* fuck no! you see this branch hell nah that shits looks like 8-bit pixel..fuuuuuuuuck that shit!

lol sorry

Dice did it.
Raising expectation so high for some people.

Wthermans

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Pre-alpha is pre-beta, alpha is an actual beta, and the 'beta' is a demo. They're not gonna release a broken version of their biggest game this year to the public if they're aiming for CoD's crown. Not unless they want people to think that BF3 is going to be a buggy mess.
Given DICE's history with BF, I'll be more surprised if the game isn't a buggy mess at launch.

Evolved1 said:
Did someone just refer to an underbarrel grenade launcher as a "pro" pipe?

Hahaha... they are cheesy as fuck and incredibly easy to get pinpoint accurate with, even at range.

They are called noob tubes for a reason. Because proficiency requires little to no skill and they're a crutch for bad players. I've never been one to complain about them or ask for a nerf. Explosives are explosives. But to imply in any way that the weapon is the "pro" choice is hilarious.

Smoke launcher? That's another story. Still pretty automatic in CQB and easy enough to get ranged kills... but at least you have to be right on the money with it.

noob tube =/= Pro pipe, lol.
automatic? c'mon son! it takes E.F.F.O.R.T. to kill people with the Smoke Launcher! and ranged kills? what about all that projectile drop!?

Heysoos

Wthermans said:
Given DICE's history with BF, I'll be more surprised if the game isn't a buggy mess at launch.

Yeah.... Unfortunately, so far I haven't had a good experience during launch with any of DICE's games. Battlefield BC 1 was a horrible unplayable mess due to the massive lag, and that's if you could get into a game. Battlefield 1943 (XBLA) was basically 'Good luck getting into a game' for like 2 weeks. Battlefield BC 2 was a little less buggy, but server problems were still there, had to deal with lag for the first week or so. In short, finding games was fucking horrible for all 3 games during their launch period.

Ubersnug

moonspeak said:
I dunno, I thought it was someone shining a laser sight in his view or something.
I wonder if that would-be one of the other
Gadgets DICE said the recon class was going to get? Either that or guns with laser sights has this sort if effect against other players when pointed at their sights.

rar

so is destruction not fully implemented in the alpha version? in that clip above it seems like some things blow up while others don't. he shoots one building and the side is blown off and another and there's just a black mark left on it

rar said:
so is destruction not fully implemented in the alpha version? in that clip above it seems like some things blow up while others don't. he shoots one building and the side is blown off and another and there's just a black mark left on it

I think it depends on what building that is possible to enter or not?

Tendo

If I order from Amazon will I be able to add the cd key to Origin like a steamworks game to steam or will it only ever work as a disc copy?

kevm3

EA should've really locked down these screenshots or at least enabled the high option on the graphics. These screenshots look like console Modern Warfare 2 with less color.

Izayoi

Banned
kevm3 said:
EA should've really locked down these screenshots or at least enabled the high option on the graphics. These screenshots look like console Modern Warfare 2 with less color.
I would imagine that, this being an alpha, they're looking to test fundamentals like netcode and gameplay. The game was never intended to be seen by the public, hence the NDA. Rather than having a bunch of people fiddling around with graphical options, they set everyone at the lowest so they worry more about, you know, playing the game, instead of trying to optimize so they crank the visuals.

Spookie

Donthizz# said:
this game is going to get delayed..

No it's not. They are already mounting a massive advertising campaign with the date clearly displayed on everything they release. It's coming out, regardless of quality.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Spookie said:
No it's not. They are already mounting a massive advertising campaign with the date clearly displayed on everything they release. It's coming out, regardless of quality.

Yep.

img0450ob.jpg

19072011882.jpg

img0445qi.jpg

img0446wp.jpg

Evolved1 said:
Did someone just refer to an underbarrel grenade launcher as a "pro" pipe?

[...]

noob tube =/= Pro pipe, lol.
Yeah I think one of the posters got their terms confused:

noob tube = 40mm grenade launcher
pro tube/pro pipe = 40mm smoke launcher

With the pro tube there's no splash damage, you have to get a direct hit to kill them.

Arcipello

moonspeak said:
I dunno, I thought it was someone shining a laser sight in his view or something.

bingo you can get lazer sights in the game, guess you get improved accuracy or able to blind the player somewhat..maybe both.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nostalgia~4ever said:
so have dice said anything how many MP maps that will be available for launch?

So far only 5 maps have been confirmed for MP.

Operation Metro
operation-metro-620x348.jpg

4 remake maps from BF2.

Gulf of Oman
bf3-gulf-of-oman-620x348.jpg

Sharqi Peninsula
bf3-sharqi-peninsula-620x348.jpg

Wake Island
bf3-wake-island1-620x322.jpg

Strike at Karkand
back-to-karkand-art-620x321.jpg

Co-op supports 2 players and will have 10 maps.

Top Bottom