• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Nabs

I just played a few matches on a multiplay tx server (rush) and the lag actually felt decent. I could actually do my normal stuff in close combat.

I'm rather conflicted here because I notice when changing servers, some players tend to know what they are doing and end up taking the objective instead of being stuck in a fire fight. These may be the folks that have been playing battlefield for a while.

I also notice the ones that just jump in and don't know what to do and just simply engage in a rambo contest. <_<

Emily Chu said:
wasn't there a 20$ pack that lets you unlock everything in BC2 ?

so gonna buy that because I just don't have the fucking time and want to play with the weapons I already paid fucking 69.99$ for
If there is one and it's released close to the launch of the game I think I'll bite, even if I'll feel like a cunt for doing so.

The unlock system in this game is horrible.

Emily Chu

Banned
Hellcrow said:
I hate unlocks. I fucking HATE unlocks.

But I love Battlefield.

Fuck, it is stupid that I have to crawl through piss just so I can have a competent gun or being able to have a even dog fight. Why can I only use the machine gun, while Mr. Baron rapes everything in the air because he has played every single hour since the beta has been released and has flares, rockets and fucking stealth?

did BF2 have unlocks ?

Arcipello

Not had any of these lag issues, I always just join the server with the best ping i.e around 25 or so. Love the map though, the amount of crazy shit I've seen in the last 24 hours is amazing.... Really gotten into the infantry combat on this map, there is barely enough room on metro for anything other than crawling... This map has set me free:)

.nimrod

I managed to land almost ontop of the antenna after a long dogfight, on the second highest platform.

You can see into both bases and every capture point from there, jets and helos mostly fly below you.
It's really calm up there, I even managed to get some kills.

Got someone with a headshot at the gas station from 523m away
7XeGO.png

bf32011-10-0821-23-30-hchb.jpg

Dakota47

I went ahead and pre-ordered the game on Origin. Is it correct that it doesn't show up in your games list after? I pre-order The Old Republic via Origin and that's in the list.

EDIT nvm, had to refresh the list. Dumb me.

Nekrono

Just tried the new AMD drivers and even though the Catalyst Creator tweeted there's no performance improvements for BF3 I don't know if it's just me or what but I feel the game runs better and even if there isn't a framerate gain the game doesn't feel so damn sluggish when it's on the low 30's like before, also I haven't seen any screen flickering yet.

Megasoum

Banned
Nekrono said:
Just tried the new AMD drivers and even though the Catalyst Creator tweeted there's no performance improvements for BF3 I don't know if it's just me or what but I feel the game runs better and even if there isn't a framerate gain the game doesn't feel so damn sluggish when it's on the low 30's like before, also I haven't seen any screen flickering yet.

Are you talking about the drivers that came out on the first day of the beta or there's been new ones since?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There were new preview drivers yesterday that combined the rage and bf3 driver into one. There might have been some extra tweaks but that's about it.

Emily Chu

Banned
hmm last online FPS I've played that didn't have unlocks was RB6:Raven Shield on PC

and I don't think COD2 or COD3 had unlocks either ? Memory is a little foggy

it's been like what 6-7 years since 360 launched ?

scoobs

iam220 said:
Are you playing on US servers? Everyone is constantly capping flags, it's really hectic. Try defending checkpoint or gas station.
I'm playing US ya, maybe I'm just unlucky with my server choices but 90% of my deaths are from someone prone somewhere, not doing anything productive.

Woo-Fu

Banned
omnomis said:
"Infantry Complainers", aka "Battlefield Players". Sorry if 60 out of 64 players on your server don't like getting butt raped by your jet.

If 60 players get buttraped by a jet they suck. I don't fly jets, btw.

iam220 said:
As someone who just dominated as a chopper gunner it's say its far from useless. VS infantary it seems to do more damage than bc2 gunner currently does.

Jets do suck though.

The nose cannon is great vs. infantry. It is getting to that infantry that is a problem. If there is one engineer with a stinger between Point A and Point B you're not going to make it, even with flares because he reloads/re-locks faster than you can get out of range and faster than your flares recycle.

It could be a nuclear bomb but without a reliable delivery system it isn't much use.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Woo-Fu said:
If 60 players get buttraped by a jet they suck. I don't fly jets, btw.
The jet pilots in BF2 were basically angry, vengeful gods. None of the anti-air solutions worked reliably and the splash on the bombs rivaled tactical nukes.

DTKT

SapientWolf said:
The jet pilots in BF2 were basically angry, vengeful gods. None of the anti-air solutions worked reliably and the splash on the bombs rivaled tactical nukes.

But now, without the air to ground missiles, they are useless.

And that's not mentioning choppers.

ACE 1991

aeiko said:
my brother's game does this on his pc.. everytime he scopes in with the sniper on caspian.. it drops to like 16 fps or so. im sure the performance will be better on the retail.. it is just beta.
Right. Thanks!

Woo-Fu

Banned
SapientWolf said:

I played BF2. If we had a problem with an enemy jet we sent one of ours after it. If their pilots were that much better than our pilots we deserved to get bombs dropped on our heads.

What happened in BF2 is what has already happened here, the AA has been beefed up quite a bit to curb jets, yet is still mostly ineffectual vs. jets. Meanwhile it is deadly to helicopters to the point where helicopters will sit on the pad most matches once people figure it out.

iam220

Nekrono said:

Yeah its definitely better, screen flickering is still there though.

Emily Chu said:
wasn't there a 20$ pack that lets you unlock everything in BC2 ?

I don't recall, but $20 is too much. It should be more like $5 ... actually it should be free, but whatever.

Mit-

Woo-Fu said:
I played BF2. If we had a problem with an enemy jet we sent one of ours after it. If their pilots were that much better than our pilots we deserved to get bombs dropped on our heads.
I don't recall ever being able to tell jet pilots anything because all they did was play "score more than everyone on the map." Most of the time jets didn't even engage enemy jets. They all just had an agreement that they were going to carpet bomb infantry the entire game and pad their stats.

And that is why I started playing infantry-only :) Sooo much more fun in BF2 imo.

Does anyone have comparison screenshots showing what an increased FOV looks like in this game?

And has anyone found any way to see an entire preview of the map? I STILL have no fucking clue what Caspian Border looks like, because I haven't bothered fighting to get into a jet or helicopter. I HATE how you can only see the surrounding areas of the map around spawn points on the deployment screen, and not the entire map like in BF2.

Combine that with the stupid dynamic minimap that has no option for static and I never know where the hell I'm going except "drive toward what LOOKS to be the closest orange icon" (since it doesn't tell me the distance of the flags by the icon anymore...).

Enkidu

TheJerit said:
yes and it was the worst out of all of them or atleast that's my lasting impression of it.....
It depends how you view it, in order to get all of the weapons you needed to put in an insane amount of time. However, unless you really played as all classes you didn't really need to unlock all of the weapons anyway (you could choose which weapons to unlock yourself) so you pretty quickly got all the weapons you wanted. It was also much better balanced because the unlocks were not really upgrades as much as "sidegrades" so you didn't really feel gimped when using the standard ones. It was also only weapons, so you didn't have to unlock the ability to use the machine gun in a tank and other such insane bullshit. I'd say unlocks were good in BF2, but ever since CoD4 all unlock systems have been complete shit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Woo-Fu said:
The jets weren't evenly matched though. China's J-10 could fly circles around everyone. Post 1942 air balance has always been shaky. I think they should err on the side of infantry, for now, because people still line up to fly the jets even when they're not much of a threat.

Spl1nter

SapientWolf said:
The jets weren't evenly matched though. China's J-10 could fly circles around everyone. Post 1942 air balance has always been shaky. I think they should err on the side of infantry, for now, because people still line up to fly the jets even when they're not much of a threat.

fuck 1942 air balance, the Zero wrecked shit.

Kyaw

The problem now is that the Super Hornets and Flankers do fuck all to the infantry while the infantry can all troll around with Stingers...

scoobs

Kyaw said:
The problem now is that the Super Hornets and Flankers do fuck all to the infantry while the infantry can all troll around with Stingers...
and then become worthless against tanks. There's balance I think, and honestly are we factoring in the fact that u can get all kinds of perks for ur jets once you've leveled it up? Are jets still worthless once you've upgraded them all the way?

Kyaw

There's the radar upgrade, ECM jammer which can be activated for a limited amount of time to disable or 'jam' incoming rockets and Laser guided missiles which are like JDAMs or TV missiles for tanks and other laser designated targets but that's an unlock which comes quite late.

At the moment there's 3 slots. One slot is changeable and the other two is heatseekers and flares.

Woo-Fu

Banned
SapientWolf said:

That is just it, though, there are only so many jets to go around, you don't need to make them weaker so everybody isn't a pilot, everybody can't be a pilot.

Jets aren't that bad off, IMHO, I have fun flying them in BF3, if only to disable enemy jets and knock helicopters out of the sky with one burst. You can kill stuff ground strafing and I expect people will get much, much better at that tactic, particularly with the Warthog in the game.

Helicopter on the other hand requires a good deal of skill AND luck at this point to be fun, at least for the non-masochists out there. I setup outside the enemy base with a supply squadmate and we could see right to the pad. I had him locked up with IGLA before he even got 10m off the pad, over, and over, and over again.

scoobs said:
and then become worthless against tanks. There's balance I think, and honestly are we factoring in the fact that u can get all kinds of perks for ur jets once you've leveled it up? Are jets still worthless once you've upgraded them all the way?

So Jets aren't worthless because they can serve as cannon fodder for Engineers, leaving Tanks alone.

That's some genius balancing right there.

iam220

Woo-Fu said:
The nose cannon is great vs. infantry. It is getting to that infantry that is a problem. If there is one engineer with a stinger between Point A and Point B you're not going to make it, even with flares because he reloads/re-locks faster than you can get out of range and faster than your flares recycle.

It could be a nuclear bomb but without a reliable delivery system it isn't much use.

Interesting. Well if stinger missiles are the only thing cramping the helis style than I'm sure it's something that can be easily addressed.

Woo-Fu said:

Disagree with that reasoning. Overpowered vehicles are not a good thing even if the other team gets one too.

scoobs

Metalmurphy said:
So Jets aren't worthless because they can serve as cannon fodder for Engineers, leaving Tanks alone.

That's some genius balancing right there.
Do the upgrades the jets get not help at all? Also, if engis are shooting down air, they're getting blown up by tanks.

Kyaw

iam220 said:
Interesting. Well if stinger missiles are the only thing cramping the helis style than I'm sure it's something that can be easily addressed.

Overpowered vehicles are not a good thing even if the other team gets one too.

Well, there's the AA gun, mobile and stationary. They will rip choppers off the sky.
Jets are MUCH harder to hit if they are not so close. A good strategy is someone is on your six is to lure him near your base and get your buddy to take him out with the stationary AA.

Then the Jets will also knock the choppers out of the sky. Literally.
I can't wait to see what the A-10 will do to the choppers...

The thing is the Jets and Choppers are quite underpowered at the moment, i feel.
No way to effectively or efficiently kill ground troops. I was shooting at a moving jeep for about the whole available burst and i only get hitmarkers. Choppers die instantly. Disablement of Jets and Choppers mean, they are as good as dead, especially Choppers.
As a Jet pilot i've landed the plane quite easily on the landing strip and fixed it.

Air vs Air is fine. Good skilled pilots can escape the heatseeker lock ons easily and the autocannon. Choppers can kill jets with heatseekers if they are good enough.

scoobs said:
Do the upgrades the jets get not help at all? Also, if engis are shooting down air, they're getting blown up by tanks.

Maybe because it's beta though... lots of people just round around in fields, especially the Antenna area, with Stingers and shooting down jets. Also Hilltop.

abuC

I can't get into any games, I've played the beta a total of 17 seconds and have spent around 2 hours waiting to connect.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
Woo-Fu said:
That is just it, though, there are only so many jets to go around, you don't need to make them weaker so everybody isn't a pilot, everybody can't be a pilot.

Agreed, and the only reason they nerfed the jets IMO is so that K/D whores don't freak out when a guy is able to go 50/4 because he was playing air support the whole round. It never ruined BF2 because no one really cared about K/D there.

Nabs

abuC said:
I can't get into any games, I've played the beta a total of 17 seconds and have spent around 2 hours waiting to connect.

What happens when you try joining a server? Does the game launch in your taskbar?

Woo-Fu

Banned
iam220 said:
Disagree with that reasoning. Overpowered vehicles are not a good thing even if the other team gets one too.

You call it overpowered, I call it a force multiplier. It is supposed to be overpowered.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
skullwolfgp said:
Agreed, and the only reason they nerfed the jets IMO is so that K/D whores don't freak out when a guy is able to go 50/4 because he was playing air support the whole round. It never ruined BF2 because no one really cared about K/D there.
They didn't nerf jets per se. They just required you to unlock their features. What they really did is buff anti air, and after BF2 it's easy to see why.

Top Bottom