• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
belvedere said:
My Alpha memories are fading fast, but does anyone remember if the parachutes worked?

Since I rarely ever made it to the final zone, I can't remember when jumping out of the two story buildings.
I tried it a couple of times and I remember hearing the parachute sound. Did it at least twice, that I know of. Hopefully my mind isnt playing tricks on me but I think I can say yes, they worked.

RS4-

BrokenEchelon said:
Can some of you guys in the beta list what settings you're playing on, what kind of FPS you're getting, and the main components of your PCs?

I'm trying to get a rough idea of how demanding this game is.
2600k @ 4GHz
2GB 6950 @ stock
8 GB ram
Win 7 x64

60+ fps on max @ 1080p

Menelaus

Banned
BrokenEchelon said:
Can some of you guys in the beta list what settings you're playing on, what kind of FPS you're getting, and the main components of your PCs?

As we said before, alpha performance is no indicator of release code performance. Most graphical goodies were turned off and textures were locked on low.

Asgaro

Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
ATI 6950 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

1980x1020 edit: I mean 1920x1080 (wtf was I thinking!)

Everything on high
Around 50 mostly, with drops to 40 sometimes.
(if I remember correct)

Kyaw

I hope my 940BE@3.6 and GTX480 combo runs nicely on BF3.

Getting 60+fps on BC2 with everything max. (4xAA,16xAF)

Anyone know if the VSS/ VS Val is in BF3? Couldn't find anything on the google so wondering if any of you guys have any info on it?

VSS best gun in any game ever
YES!!!1!

I think I asked this question before, but never got a reply.

How was the shooting in the alpha? Was it kind of like BC2, which I loved?

Does the gameplay reward reaction or 'smart thinking' when it comes to gameplay. I'm a little worried that it's going to be more like CoD (i.e. no or minimal bulletspread)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What kind of scope is this? I didn't unlock it in the alpha I think and I don't recognize it.

image_battlefield_3-16r7vh.jpg

Looks like a low poly placeholder, to be honest. Weird that they released it in one of their public shots, though they have stated there are a ridiculous amount of scopes in the game, many of them specific to the type of gun being used.

SirButterstick said:

Does the gameplay reward reaction or 'smart thinking' when it comes to gameplay. I'm a little worried that it's going to be more like CoD (i.e. no or minimal bulletspread)

Better than BC2, IMO. It's still not really a twitch or arena shooter, if that's what you're worried about. Some of the guns had laughable recoil and they already stated they're planning on adding more.

Xux

Starfish_Oxide said:
Anyone know if the VSS/ VS Val is in BF3? Couldn't find anything on the google so wondering if any of you guys have any info on it?

VSS best gun in any game ever
YES!!!1!

From the E3 trailer:
fndzs8.png
oaasmx.png

People on the EA forums say it looks like a VAL.

SirButterstick said:

It was definitely different from BC2. Guns feel more powerful and visceral though kickback and bulletspread are not as "tight" or minimal as CoD.

LordCanti

Tallshortman said:
It was definitely different from BC2. Guns feel more powerful and visceral though kickback and bulletspread are not as "tight" or minimal as CoD.

Firing the G13 in single shot mode felt like I was using an impact drill. Really nice.

Mr. Snrub said:
Better than BC2, IMO. It's still not really a twitch or arena shooter, if that's what you're worried about. Some of the guns had laughable recoil and they already stated they're planning on adding more.

That is what I'm worried about. I loved BC2 for rewarding slow movement, using cover, etc. The last thing I want is twitch.

I'm old . . . . .

SirButterstick said:
That is what I'm worried about. I loved BC2 for rewarding slow movement, using cover, etc. The last thing I want is twitch.

I'm old . . . . .

Oh, if it's pace you're worried about...there is MUCH more onus to slow down. Not only are the weapons more lethal, but the suppression mechanic and the ability to dive to prone make positioning VERY important. Don't worry, it's still very much Battlefield.

LordCanti

A taste of the conquest pacing was had in the park. Unless the LAV operator knew what he was doing (and took B immediately, then backtracked to A to cover it as well) it was a battle from cover to cover. Pop out of cover at any time, and there was a pretty good chance you'd die.

More than once, I compared the experience to Metal Gear Solid 3/4. I was crawling prone through bushes, and coming out behind people to knife them, or arm the MCOM.

I absolutely don't want to restart the COD/BF flamewar from earlier, but I think it is fair to say that COD fans will be able to find a mode that suits them, with the faster pace they are used to. Team (infantry) Deathmatch should play the same as it does in a COD game, if that mode ends up being in BF3 (without killstreaks, I assume). For the rest of us, Conquest and Rush are nothing like COD.

LordCanti said:
A taste of the conquest pacing was had in the park. Unless the LAV operator knew what he was doing (and took B immediately, then backtracked to A to cover it as well) it was a battle from cover to cover. Pop out of cover at any time, and there was a pretty good chance you'd die.

More than once, I compared the experience to Metal Gear Solid 3/4. I was crawling prone through bushes, and coming out behind people to knife them, or arm the MCOM.

Yeah, I spent much time prone as an attacker in the first set, especially prone behind the short rock wall around the B gazebo, waiting for others to join/cover me. Good times.

I absolutely don't want to restart the COD/BF flamewar from earlier, but I think it is fair to say that COD fans will be able to find a mode that suits them, with the faster pace they are used to. Team (infantry) Deathmatch should play the same as it does in a COD game, if that mode ends up being in BF3 (without killstreaks, I assume). For the rest of us, Conquest and Rush are nothing like COD.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying this, and DICE is hoping it does get some of the COD crowd. It doesn't require conforming to COD's design--the game is still clearly Battlefield--but borrows some of COD's superior aspects.

Kyaw

Just though i'd share this:

@RollieThePollie: Just finished a three hour recording session with @Noken @cbennison and DiceQA with this outside the window. #bf3 yfrog.com/h3j88cnj

@RollieThePollie @Noken @cbennison Any chance of hinting at what this recording involved #BF3

@RobJN3 Ooh I would say a bit of everything. Had a blast. Took me back to those warm fuzzy bf2 days

Also Conquest confirmed:

Conquest? ;-)

@M0t0rBreath @noken @cbennison Indeed! Gotta love conquest! :D

LordCanti

Kyaw said:
Just though i'd share this:

@RollieThePollie: Just finished a three hour recording session with @Noken @cbennison and DiceQA with this outside the window. #bf3 yfrog.com/h3j88cnj

@RollieThePollie @Noken @cbennison Any chance of hinting at what this recording involved #BF3

@RobJN3 Ooh I would say a bit of everything. Had a blast. Took me back to those warm fuzzy bf2 days

Also Conquest confirmed:

Conquest? ;-)

@M0t0rBreath @noken @cbennison Indeed! Gotta love conquest! :D

I think there may have been a revolt if they didn't show conquest next. Hopefully it is in the beta.

Velion

BrokenEchelon said:

i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
GTX 570 @ 750/1500
12GB RAM
Win 7 64 Bit

1920x1080 was getting 55+ fps.

LordCanti

Velion said:
i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
GTX 570 @ 750/1500
12GB RAM
Win 7 64 Bit

1920x1080 was getting 55+ fps.

I was seeing about those numbers (for an average) with my old ass C2D (paired with a GTX 580).

No one should be using the alpha as a metric. I can almost guarantee that a 2600k will do better in the retail game.

Velion

LordCanti said:
I was seeing about those numbers (for an average) with my old ass C2D (paired with a GTX 580).

No one should be using the alpha as a metric. I can almost guarantee that a 2600k will do better in the retail game.
Yeah, low,medium,high didnt really change char textures and so on.

Mr. Snrub said:
Oh, if it's pace you're worried about...there is MUCH more onus to slow down. Not only are the weapons more lethal, but the suppression mechanic and the ability to dive to prone make positioning VERY important. Don't worry, it's still very much Battlefield.

Thanks dude. That's a relief to hear. I'm really looking forward to the beta.

I played MW2 just yesterday for the first time in over a year.

I was shocked at just how different it is to BF3... and just how inferior I personally feel the game play is.

I don't know exactly what it is, but in BF3 it really feels like you're progressing through a combat situation, however in MW2 (and Black Ops) it just feels like your trotting around a map firing laser bullets at guys... the maps are obviously designed to feel very different, but that whole "getting killed in the back and not even seeing the guy that killed you" thing which is how I think I died every time because of map mechanics is absolutely terrible.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Izayoi said:
i7-2600k @ Stock
GTX 580 @ Stock

1920x1200 w/ 4xAA

70-80fps

i7-2600@4.6
SLI 560 TIs@"570"

1920x1080 no AA, high settings.
30-45 fps.

( we're talking about the alpha right ? )

Corky said:
i7-2600@4.6
SLI 560 TIs@"570"

1920x1080 no AA, high settings.
30-45 fps.

( we're talking about the alpha right ? )

SLI and Crossfire wasn't optimized for the alpha.

If I enabled it for my 5870's my fps went from around 80 to 35.

MNC said:
What about BC2 performance wise? What performance did you guys get in BC2.

BC2 is 60 in most areas, with dropping to 45 on some of the bigger maps/when there's pandemonium. This is with bloom disabled, HBAO disable, DX10, AF 16x, AA 8x (or whatever the max is in-game), all details on high, 1680x1050.

Yeah I get 60fps locked with every maxed and 8xAA/16xAF at 2048x1152 in Bad Company 2, but I expect I will have to drop a LOT of stuff to get BF3 running at 60fps (which I need it to).

Single player is different, there I'll pump everything up.

can anyone tell me how this setup will perform for say BC2 or BF3. i have yet to buy everything and wanted some opinions.

Intel Xeon CPU (already owned for a while, don't really want to spend money on a new CPU)
12 gigs of RAM

Radeon HD 6950 2Gb (unlocked to 6970 level)

1680x1050

the only things i'm buying are the Graphics Card and the Ram.

how good do you think this will run BF3?

n0n44m

dangerbyrnes said:
Intel Xeon CPU (already owned for a while, don't really want to spend money on a new CPU)
12 gigs of RAM

Radeon HD 6950 2Gb (unlocked to 6970 level)

1680x1050

crap if it's some ancient dual core Xeon, great if it's the latest 6 core Xeon

so in other words, find out what Xeon it is (CPU-Z)

any cpu with 4 cores should run BF3 great with a 6950/70 , less than 4 cores is likely to bottleneck such a card

n0n44m said:
crap if it's some ancient dual core Xeon, great if it's the latest 6 core Xeon

so in other words, find out what Xeon it is (CPU-Z)

any cpu with 4 cores should run BF3 great with a 6950/70 , less than 4 cores is likely to bottleneck such a card

thanks for a nice reply. i haven't done any major PC upgrading before so sorry im not very good at this stuff.

shit, looks like i need to do some more shopping.

well thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom