• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Player said:
I really want to see whether it's gonna be enjoyable or not. Even though I remember how fun was flying and battling in 1943, I'm not confident yet.

It'll be VERY enjoyable! The experience of "fun" won't be any different whether it's 24 player or 64. Bad Company 2 is so much fun in console. I don't think a jet, which at times can be taken down faster than a chopper, is an issue.

List of Rocket Launchers in BF3:

AT4
SMAW
RPG-7
Javelin
FIM-92 Stinger
SA-18 IGLA

;)

JJD

The_Player said:
Jets. Only on Conquest. With 24 people. Yep, sounds damn fun!

I think BF3 is going to be fun on consoles. I adore BC2 on my PS3, but there's no doubt the PC version is the one to get if you have the option.

Woo-Fu

Banned
JJD said:
I'm still not sold on the new spawn mechanic...

What if your squad leader is a jet/chopper whore???

Then you're probably his gunner/bomber and being able to respawn into his vehicle is very useful.

If you're not working the vehicle with him and/or using it as a highly mobile spawn point then why are you in his squad in the first place?

G_Berry

Banned
Kyaw said:
Ugghhhh, you are wasting a jet!!!

Could just kill the tank with the jet instead and keep the air superiority.

We can't have nice things because of people like you etc etc.

Vehicles are C4 distribution devices.

JJD

shagg_187 said:
It'll be VERY enjoyable! The experience of "fun" won't be any different whether it's 24 player or 64. Bad Company 2 is so much fun in console. I don't think a jet, which at times can be taken down faster than a chopper, is an issue.

List of Rocket Launchers in BF3:

AT4
SMAW
RPG-7
Javelin
FIM-92 Stinger
SA-18 IGLA

;)

You know, it's going to be a though job balancing this game with so many variables. I bet a year from release date BF3 will be a very different game.

I hope Dice get the jets and choppers right on consoles. The differences between BC2 choppers on consoles and PC is ridiculous (infinite circle strafing on consolesis not possible on PC).

Absinthe

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
The voice over from the co-op characters were really hilarious, "YOU WANT SOME MORE!!?!!!?? THAT'S ALL YOU GOT???!!"

Hopefully there's a way to turn this crap off. Everything about this game I LOVE, except for the stupid dialog.

Maybe if I were 16 it would be amusing, but F-this and F-that just seems juvenile and unnecessary.

Kyaw

G_Berry said:
Vehicles are C4 distribution devices.

:mad:

Also if anyone is wondering what the 3rd seat in the tank might be, it might be the CITV station mentioned in the fact sheet.

Commander Independent Thermal View can let the 3rd person view the whole battlefield in green thermal view and has zoom etc. He can then relay the information to the driver/gunner.

JJD

Woo-Fu said:
Then you're probably his gunner/bomber and being able to respawn into his vehicle is very useful.

If you're not working the vehicle with him and/or using it as a highly mobile spawn point then why are you in his squad in the first place?

And what if the seat is taken? Will I spawn at 1.000 feet at 600km/h?

What if my squad leader is a base camping bush wookie? I know you can spawn on any captured flag on conquest, but what about rush? A bad squad leader would be a major setback not only for a squad but for a whole team (12 players console teams).

I won't worry about squad leader mechanic if I'm playing with friends, but it could be a horrible experience with randoms.

Kyaw said:
:mad:

Also if anyone is wondering what the 3rd seat in the tank might be, it might be the CITV station mentioned in the fact sheet.

Commander Independent Thermal View can let the 3rd person view the whole battlefield in green thermal view and has zoom etc. He can then relay the information to the driver/gunner.

Wow!!! That's amazing...and another motive to worry on the consoles player count. 2 players on every jet, 3 on any tank, and 2 lonely guys trying to arm/capture mcoms/flags... :-/

Ubersnug

Can someone who is on twitter ask the guys at DICE if vehicle perks will stack between players like some would in Bad Company 2? For example, in Bad Company 2 I would take vehicle optics and my buddy would take extra vehicle armour and they would stack up.

Enco

lazybones18 said:
So will DICE provide a stream of MP footage at the convention today or tomorrow?
Hmmm..

Dice: We have a conferences? Give the people what they want! Bring in the war vets!

demolitio

JJD said:
You know, it's going to be a though job balancing this game with so many variables. I bet a year from release date BF3 will be a very different game.

I hope Dice get the jets and choppers right on consoles. The differences between BC2 choppers on consoles and PC is ridiculous (infinite circle strafing on consolesis not possible on PC).
That's what I said as well. I'm a huge aviation junkie but I want them to be balanced as well, but I fear it will go too far the opposite way with so many factors in the balancing. The AA vehicle and stationary AA is fine, but they really have to be careful when adding those two air-to-air launchers. With stationary AA, the jets at least have a chance to take the guy out before he gets his shot off and you can also dodge it, but when you're in a 64 player server, there could be a shitload of guys carrying the AA launchers who are harder to spot since they don't show up to the jet like the AA stations, and can also have a lot more people firing at the same jet at once compared to the limits of the AA stations. How is a jet going to be able to dodge 50 missiles?

I was all for adding portable AA launchers, but I'm afraid the jets will be in big trouble because of it unless they're perfectly balanced. It's just another factor for them to worry about as now there's at least 1 AA vehicle coming after you and there could be a shitload of engineers who are hidden that could be firing at you as well. I want the jets to have to worry about getting shot down, but I also want the jets to be capable support assets to take down the vehicles. And if the jets are useless, then the whole rock, paper, scissors balance is off.

My only thing I can think of is the thermal view could be helpful for pilots but I'm not sure if that's even possible. Also, that stealth specialization we saw could help out by limiting the range or making it longer to lock on or something, but it's another unknown factor. I always though the AA launchers should be better against the helicopters while the AA vehicle will stand the best chance against the jets since those AA launchers are mostly made for choppers since the jets are very well equipped against Stingers.

It's going to be interesting to see how it is. Personally, the AA launchers should be more of an annoyance to jets and a major threat to choppers.

JJD

demolitio said:
That's what I said as well. I'm a huge aviation junkie but I want them to be balanced as well, but I fear it will go too far the opposite way with so many factors in the balancing. The AA vehicle and stationary AA is fine, but they really have to be careful when adding those two air-to-air launchers. With stationary AA, the jets at least have a chance to take the guy out before he gets his shot off and you can also dodge it, but when you're in a 64 player server, there could be a shitload of guys carrying the AA launchers who are harder to spot since they don't show up to the jet like the AA stations, and can also have a lot more people firing at the same jet at once compared to the limits of the AA stations. How is a jet going to be able to dodge 50 missiles?

I was all for adding portable AA launchers, but I'm afraid the jets will be in big trouble because of it unless they're perfectly balanced. It's just another factor for them to worry about as now there's at least 1 AA vehicle coming after you and there could be a shitload of engineers who are hidden that could be firing at you as well. I want the jets to have to worry about getting shot down, but I also want the jets to be capable support assets to take down the vehicles. And if the jets are useless, then the whole rock, paper, scissors balance is off.

My only thing I can think of is the thermal view could be helpful for pilots but I'm not sure if that's even possible. Also, that stealth specialization we saw could help out by limiting the range or making it longer to lock on or something, but it's another unknown factor. I always though the AA launchers should be better against the helicopters while the AA vehicle will stand the best chance against the jets since those AA launchers are mostly made for choppers since the jets are very well equipped against Stingers.

It's going to be interesting to see how it is. Personally, the AA launchers should be more of an annoyance to jets and a major threat to choppers.

Yeah...my fear is that after almost 2 years Dice still hasn't managed to balance choppers on BC2.We have the (almost) invincible choppers of vanilla BC2, or the paper plane chopper of Vietnam.

As far as jet goes, there's 2 types right? Fighters should be air-to-air mostly, so infantry units can't bring then down, and they won't be able to do much damage to ground units, their purpose should be take down other jets and choppers.

Attackers like the Warthog are the real issue. Their purpose is to attack armor and ground units? So they should be more susceptible to then.

As I said it's going to be fun to see how the game evolve after release.

Kyaw

Ubersnug said:
Can someone who is on twitter ask the guys at DICE if vehicle perks will stack between players like some would in Bad Company 2? For example, in Bad Company 2 I would take vehicle optics and my buddy would take extra vehicle armour and they would stack up.

I thought they never stacked...?

I mean, i would have something like flares in the gunner seat and the pilot with extra damage won't be able to use my flares nor i can get his extra damage on my gunner seat gun?

demolitio

Kyaw said:

I mean, i would have something like flares in the gunner seat and the pilot with extra damage won't be able to use my flares nor i can get his extra damage on my gunner seat gun?
I think the only ones that stacked for everyone were the armor and damage ones. The armor makes sense since it's not like they could have separate vehicle damage, but the damage stacked for everyone if I recall correctly.

Kyaw

So the pilot can have flares and the gunner can have extra damage/armour and we will both get the extra damage/armour stuff?

JJD

Kyaw said:

On BC2 some vehicle perks stack, while others don't. It depends on the perk you've chosen and your position on the vehicle. I believe that only 2 different perks stack, so if the driver and the gunner choose V damage you don't get 2x the damage.

For exemple if the driver chooses V damage and the gunner V armor, the tank gets the more destructive shells and the increased armor.

But if the driver gets V armor, and the gunner V damage, the tank gets only the added armor, while only the tank machine gun gets the added firepower.

Ubersnug

Kyaw said:

I was always under the impression that only certain vehicle perks stacked, like the two I mentioned above. No?

demolitio

Kyaw said:
So the pilot can have flares and the gunner can have extra damage/armour and we will both get the extra damage/armour stuff?
Yup since those two are applied to the general vehicle itself I believe. So the pilot could extra damage that work on his rockets but you'd get it for the gunner seat as well, same as armor.

But as far as the others go, the ones like flares are applied to one button like R2 or whatever you had it set as, so if you have flares but the pilot had the 4x zoom, then that'd mean he'd have two things for R2. So you couldn't have those stack since it'd all be applied to the same button if that makes sense.

Izayoi

Banned
JJD said:
And what if the seat is taken? Will I spawn at 1.000 feet at 600km/h?
Even if you did, that's what your parachute is for! In a just world, all spawns would be at 1000 feet and 600km/h.

Defuser said:
UNF UNF UNF.That's it,I'm not picking up BF3 until I build my own PC rig one day.
And that day will be when the beta starts.

...Right?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955 Core 3.2GHz Processor 4 x 512 KB Boxed - Black Edition

anyone know if that will be a good CPU for this game ?

I won't be able to buy a card ect till later.

Kyaw

demolitio said:
Yup since those two are applied to the general vehicle itself I believe. So the pilot could extra damage that work on his rockets but you'd get it for the gunner seat as well, same as armor.

But as far as the others go, the ones like flares are applied to one button like R2 or whatever you had it set as, so if you have flares but the pilot had the 4x zoom, then that'd mean he'd have two things for R2. So you couldn't have those stack since it'd all be applied to the same button if that makes sense.

Ah i see, in my 300+ hours of BC2, i never figured that out...

ColonialRaptor said:
So it's confirmed that the jets are two seaters?

What does the rio do?

The A-10 Thunderbolts and SU-39s are single seaters IRL so i guess they will be single seaters in the game too.

Keasar

Any news today from Gamescom? Videos? Streams? Something?

Izayoi said:
Even if you did, that's what your parachute is for! In a just world, all spawns would be at 1000 feet and 600km/h.
section-8-moon-drop.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
Kentpaul said:
anyone know if that will be a good CPU for this game ?
You should be fine if that's what you already have. If you're considering building a new PC I would strongly recommend a Sandy Bridge system.

Kyaw

APPARENTLY, according to Demize99 from the twitter, Caspian Border is the size of El Alamein...

Not sure if he's trolling or not. (or it could be the whole thing instead of the infantry limited size)

supersaw

I hope we get this conquest map for the Beta, I understand that Op Metro appeals to a certain demographic but this Caspian Border map is what Battlefield games are all about.

JJD said:
I think BF3 is going to be fun on consoles. I adore BC2 on my PS3, but there's no doubt the PC version is the one to get if you have the option.
I never doubted for a second that I'll be playing it on PC.

Still can't get over the fact that commander is no more :(

Loved to sneak up in the enemy base as a spec ops and rigging their radar with C4, rendering their commander / uav useless.

mocoworm

I just saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE

"Watch intense 64-player vehicle warfare - including jets - from our beautiful Battlefield 3 multiplayer map Caspian Border! This marks the premier of jet gameplay as played at GamesCom 2011. "

I have never played a Battlefield game before but after seeing this I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy. It looks AWESOME!

Kyaw said:
APPARENTLY, according to Demize99 from the twitter, Caspian Border is the size of El Alamein...

Not sure if he's trolling or not. (or it could be the whole thing instead of the infantry limited size)

DICE president said the same thing, I doubt he trolls.

It is hard to grasp size in a trailer that is suppose to be intense.

vanty

Kyaw said:

Hopefully it isn't as boring as El Al for anyone who isn't in a plane ahah.

Kyaw

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
You know that feeling when you just want to play a certain game and can't bother to play anything else while waiting for it? I need it, now.

That's me right now. It's not good man...

I have so many games in my backlog too...

Mush

Asgaro said:
BF3
2nh43di.jpg

MW3
2m81w29.jpg

^^

(not mine, im not at Gamescom)
I'm going to go on a whim and say because they're not offering MW3 Multiplayer and most likely only SP/Co-op no one is particularly interested.

Pretty peeved over the spawn changes.
Instead of changing the obnoxious damage values and lack of recoil (from alpha), they 'll just make it into another meatgrinder spawntrain.

No thanks EA.

Manager

SneakyStephan said:
Instead of changing the obnoxious damage values and lack of recoil (from alpha), they 'll just make it into another meatgrinder spawntrain.

No thanks EA.

You're going to skip on BF3 because of the spawn system?

supersaw

Mush said:
I'm going to go on a whim and say because they're not offering MW3 Multiplayer and most likely only SP/Co-op no one is particularly interested.

Also being Germany, master race and all that.

KaiserBecks

SneakyStephan said:

No thanks EA.

What makes you think they didn't change damage values and recoil? And what does that have to do with changing the spawn mechanics? Besides: A lot of people didn't like the idea of only being able to spawn at the squad leader. I can assure you that the majority would be pissed if they had to spawn at the base only because their squad leader died. The maps are kinda huge, you know.

Arnie

SneakyStephan said:

No thanks EA.
Eh, they're the game designers, not you. I trust their judgement over yours, especially when Rush was so ridiculously one sided in the Alpha, it got to the point where I thought the issue stemmed from something much broader than simply recoil and damage values. I'm sure the glitch didn't help matters, but even when it was working the odds were still stacked far too heavily in the defenders favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom