• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadly Cyclone said:
Console server browsers (mostly) confirmed? Very nice.

"Just heard from DICE that even the console versions of Battlefield 3 will have server browsers."

Via GameSpot's Shaun McInnis
http://twitter.com/#!/smcinnis

IJGTm.gif

woober

ShOcKwAvE said:
I would still prefer the realism of inflicting minor damage on the vehicle as well.

I found everyone in BC2 firing their machine gun at the skies trying to push a heli back very awkward.

Sethos

Banned
Kyaw said:
Doesn't attack helicopters have armour plating to prevent small arms damage?

@ Sethos: According to the guy who has played BF3 at Gamescom, he said he saw the speed go up to only 400.

who says the speed measuring system is even remotely the same?

Kyaw

Sethos said:
who says the speed measuring system is even remotely the same?

Hey, i'm just the messenger.

It probably isn't true, i'm just relaying what i saw on twitter.

If the devs say Jets are slightly faster than BF2, they will be.

Woo-Fu

Banned
ShOcKwAvE said:
I would still prefer the realism of inflicting minor damage on the vehicle as well.
That isn't realism. The Mil Mi-28n in particular has pretty good armor, particularly the cockpits.

JackEtc

The jets do look a little slow. Whenever I was a kid I always fantasized about being a fighter pilot to go FAST. The fact that they look slow kinda disappoints me, I was hoping to just zoom over the battlefield.

woober

JackEtc said:
The fets do look a little slow. Whenever I was a kid I always fantasized about being a fighter pilot to go FAST. The fact that they look slow kinda disappoints me, I was hoping to just zoom over the battlefield.

If the devs say the jets fly slightly faster than they do in BF2, then it's pretty good. I think it might look slow because they haven't nailed down the sense of speed, or something.

ShOcKwAvE

Woo-Fu said:
That isn't realism. The Mil Mi-28n in particular has pretty good armor, particularly the cockpits.

I'm under the impression that certain machine guns have the muzzle velocity to do heli damage. Am I wrong?

Too bad we don't get to fly any Osprey's in multiplayer. I am really hoping they show up in the single or co-op though, really need an epic Osprey invasion scene. Also kinda surprised at the A10 being in and not the harrier or F35.

Loved the new trailer, it is amazing and makes me want BF3 even more. The list of equipment and such is also great to see. Really digging that you can trade your frags for smokes and all those optics! Are the only medic related specs/items the health kit and defibs? Is there no medic specialties like heal+ or range+? Also, since the soldier and medic are the same class now, can I be a soldier with say smoke grenades and a defib paddle? Also, no motion mines from what I can see?

ShOcKwAvE said:
I'm under the impression that certain machine guns have the muzzle velocity to do heli damage. Am I wrong?
Certain calibers might have the ability to pierce chopper armor. The rotor blades of the UH1-Y Venom can withstand up to 23mm hits for example.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People seem to be going out of their way to assume that every jet in the demo reel was at full afterburner. :)

Instead of going half empty, why not half full? The slower you can fly one of these without stalling the more pain you'll be able to deliver to the enemy on the ground. Instead of assuming it is indicative of the jets being slow, assume it is indicative of them having a nice wide performance envelope. :)

desu

German Gamestar has an interview too: http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=19223

Some details, not sure if people care:

Coop
- it isnt like a campaign, separate mode with separate missions, no real story connecting them
- vehicle missions, you and your buddy ride a helicopter (one navigates, one shoots)
- no jets in coop

Multiplayer
- comrose (he mentioned ON pc so possibly not on console) is back and being finished right now, should look very similiar to bf2 version
- they are considering LAN (yeah ... ;))

Deadbeat

Banned
desu said:
- they are considering LAN (yeah ... ;))
So how will they do that without releasing the server files? The only way would be if they handled it like bf2 where unranked server files were released.

Darkshier said:
Also, no motion mines from what I can see?

Hmm, I don't know. There are a number of accessories that I am clueless about, like the Radio Beacon, the UG Sensor

desu said:
German Gamestar has an interview too: http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=19223

Some details, not sure if people care:

Coop
- it isnt like a campaign, separate mode with separate missions, no real story connecting them
- vehicle missions, you and your buddy ride a helicopter (one navigates, one shoots)
- no jets in coop

Hmm, the DICE MP Fact Sheet says the co-op missions tie into the story...

Lame that there are no jets in co-op.

Mr. Snrub said:
Hmm, I don't know. There are a number of accessories that I am clueless about, like the Radio Beacon, the UG Sensor

Hmm, the DICE MP Fact Sheet says the co-op missions tie into the story...

Lame that there are no jets in co-op.
UG sensor sounds like it could be an Underground Sensor. Maybe something you place like a mine and have that work as a motion detector? That whole soldier equipment list is crazy though, is all that equipment available to each class or is that limited by what class you choose?

Are SMG's all kit weapons like the battle rifles and shotguns?

desu

Deadbeat said:
So how will they do that without releasing the server files? The only way would be if they handled it like bf2 where unranked server files were released.

He was mentioning considering "security matters" so it means that pirates wont be able to play on their own servers. Kind of doubt they will look too much into a LAN mode. He said, if at all, they would do that after the game release anyway.

CozMick said:
Server Browser for consoles....why?

Matchmaking was fast as fuck on PS3 and 360 :\

Why not? More choices the better when it comes to finding the server you want to play on. I doubt they would get rid of the matchmaking if that is what you are worried about.

JackEtc

woober said:
If the devs say the jets fly slightly faster than they do in BF2, then it's pretty good. I think it might look slow because they haven't nailed down the sense of speed, or something.
Never played BF2, so I don't really know. But yeah, if they can get some good motion blur or something in there to make it look like you are going really fast, that would be awesome.

Pete Rock

UnluckyKate said:
Excuse me, but, you don't really plan to take off - off road, do you ?
It appears as though he spawned directly in the jet from the kit selection screen... am I behind the curve or is this a feature now? You can't read the text but as he selects another spawn point the camera centers behind the jet on the runway and then he pops right in.

desu

As for the pcgames video, the guy wasnt really telling anything interesting.

Only fun part was when he said that he was almost crying because he knows the ps3 version will never look as awesome as the pc version he played (apparently he is a console gamer).

n0n44m

desu said:
As for the pcgames video, the guy wasnt really telling anything interesting.

Only fun part was when he said that he was almost crying because he knows the ps3 version will never look as awesome as the pc version he played (apparently he is a console gamer).

didn't he also say it lagged somewhat which surprised him cause it was LAN and not online

(while LAN hasn't been confirmed yet?)

woober

Pete Rock said:
It appears as though he spawned directly in the jet from the kit selection screen... am I behind the curve or is this a feature now? You can't read the text but as he selects another spawn point the camera centers behind the jet on the runway and then he pops right in.

Is it possible that the airstrip is not spawnable? That way you won't have players waiting for jets. Instead, you just spawn in jets when they're available?

Sethos

Banned
Just been watching some BF2 jet footage on YouTube and honestly, it looks just as slow as what we've seen. I think some people are just having a different memory of the game. Could also be because you can actually be miles over the battle and still see the terrain which gives you a much slower feeling unlike BF2 that went all foggy and grey everywhere due to the poor view distance of the game - That also provides a bigger sense of speed.

Plus everything seems smaller in BF2, even radio towers have nothing on what we've seen in BF3.

desu

n0n44m said:
didn't he also say it lagged somewhat which surprised him cause it was LAN and not online

(while LAN hasn't been confirmed yet?)

Uhm yes he said it lagged but I doubt he had an insight into how the game was setup there. Most likely its just using battle log and internet.

Scary question . . . what's the chance of this getting pushed back from the Oct 26 date. It sounds like they still have work to do. I have my 'staycation' booked that week to play this in a marathon session :)

n0n44m

desu said:
Uhm yes he said it lagged but I doubt he had an insight into how the game was setup there. Most likely its just using battle log and internet.

yeah wouldn't be surprising if they have 64 players playing through the convention's internet pipe :p

Soulmiser

Neo Member
SirButterstick said:
Scary question . . . what's the chance of this getting pushed back from the Oct 26 date. It sounds like they still have work to do. I have my 'staycation' booked that week to play this in a marathon session :)

At this point not a chance they will push it back. They might release it and fix with patches after it is out though.

Soulmiser said:
At this point not a chance they will push it back. They might release it and fix with patches after it is out though.

That's a Shame.

Game doesn't look very polished and its so close to release.

CozMick

Banned
SirButterstick said:

A release after Modern Warfare 3 would hurt sales dramatically.

SirButterstick said:

Pretty sure DICE is being worked like dogs at this point. Demize works 7 days a week now, IIRC.

Ah, was about to PM Nirolak about the console server browser, he beat me to it! Thanks!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So no Battle Recorder or Commander ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom