• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Why is 'support' next to my origin name!? Lol... make me red. I'll contribute.

lol.gif

Sorry dude, left in a note I made to highlight your name, and didn't even highlight it. Fixed!

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
Mumble takes about 5 seconds to set up :p

It was echoing and shit before and now it's working flawlessly.
Really good stuff now. Love the surround voice chat thing.

Spl1nter

Spl1nter | Spl1nter3 | East Coast

You know im down to contribute for a server.

We should probably add location for a better understanding of where a server(s) should be located.

LordCanti

ChiefKief said:
So by the responses I take it we are using using mumbles then right? :p

Probably. It really just depends on how good or bad the integrated chat options are in game. For instance, it may be beneficial to use voice chat in game, if there is a way to toggle between only communicating with your squad, and communicating with your team. Also, I could see scenario's where half of us are on one team, and half of us are on another, and trying to talk as a team would become difficult on mumble.

aperman

Neo Member
LordCanti said:
No results for either Airlub, or ph33nix on Origin. Check to make sure that your privacy settings allow you to be found by Origin name.

Privacy is set to Everybody.

Searched and sent you a friend request. Hopefully that should open up my profile to the public.

LordCanti

aperman said:
Privacy is set to Everybody.

Searched and sent you a friend request. Hopefully that should open up my profile to the public.

Some people are just unable to be found for some reason. I don't have an explanation for it yet.

I accepted the request. Send requests to everyone on my list, and you should have almost everyone on your list.

The specific setting people need to check is:

Settings (the little gear icon) > Privacy > "Control which accounts people can use to find you"

People need to make absolutely certain that "Origin ID" is checked here.

If it still doesn't work, it's got to be an Origin bug of some kind.

Nabs

LordCanti said:
Probably. It really just depends on how good or bad the integrated chat options are in game. For instance, it may be beneficial to use voice chat in game, if there is a way to toggle between only communicating with your squad, and communicating with your team. Also, I could see scenario's where half of us are on one team, and half of us are on another, and trying to talk as a team would become difficult on mumble.

I think we'll have to use Battlelog VoIP (Chat Group) if we want "in-game" voice. (Link - 26min) If we are on opposite teams, we can always just switch rooms in Mumble. Alt-tab wasn't an issue in the Alpha.

Heavy's Sandvich | Efebayor

I'm not sure if I'm willing to contribute until I get a feel of the server (due to it being on the East Coast).

LordCanti

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Heavy's Sandvich | Efebayor

I'm not sure if I'm willing to contribute until I get a feel of the server (due to it being on the East Coast).

That's just one potential location. It's the only solution that really caters to both Europe, and the Western United States in an almost equal fashion. If we end up having to split off as two servers (one American, one European), I could see getting a server in the midwest US instead of the East Coast (to put it in between the two population centers, so no one has an unfair advantage).

I'm hoping that it won't come to that though. The more donors we have for any one individual server, the more likely it is to happen. I'm sure we could probably raise the $200 for one American, and one European server for the first month, but it's all a question of whether we can keep it going for the months that follow. There's a better chance of a GAF server still existing this time next year, if we're all in it together.

I fully understand the reasoning for it; I'm almost certain it will be more than playable if the server is on the East Coast.

I just don't want to say I will commit and then back off.

Well on the plus side, if we were to rent an East coast server for the first month, it'd be very cheap for us if we maintain this kind of interest and more people want to donate. At least then we have a few weeks to play on it, see if it works out, and if not we can look at two servers.

I agree that I think two servers is pushing it, however, and I'm doubtful we'd have enough people to support two 64 player servers (and I really would want it to be 64 to pay for it).

LordCanti

Heavy's Sandvich said:
I fully understand the reasoning for it; I'm almost certain it will be more than playable if the server is on the East Coast.

I just don't want to say I will commit and then back off.

I understand. I just didn't want anyone to get the idea that any concrete plans have been made for an East Coast server yet.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Well on the plus side, if we were to rent an East coast server for the first month, it'd be very cheap for us if we maintain this kind of interest and more people want to donate. At least then we have a few weeks to play on it, see if it works out, and if not we can look at two servers.

I agree that I think two servers is pushing it, however, and I'm doubtful we'd have enough people to support two 64 player servers (and I really would want it to be 64 to pay for it).

One server would likely cannibalize the other, as people decided that their slightly lower ping times weren't worth the monthly expense. For the first month or two, the enthusiasm is probably there for dual servers, but going beyond that, I'm not so sure. Having even one 64 player server presumes that we'll be able to get the general public to consistently fill out the slots not filled by donors. That could be an easy task, or it could be incredibly difficult.

I would assume filling a 64 man server wouldn't be too hard if the server information was clearly listed in the OT for the game etc so lurkers/people waiting to be approved could join.

When I had a 32 man server in Counter-Strike, as long as a decent number of my clan were in there, say 8-12 guys, people started joining and it would soon fill up. With a decent amount of regular GAFers, lurkers and people just looking for a 64 man server, one would hope we wouldn't have too much of an issue getting it populated a lot of the time.

LordCanti

Foliorum Viridum said:
I would assume filling a 64 man server wouldn't be too hard if the server information was clearly listed in the OT for the game etc so lurkers/people waiting to be approved could join.

When I had a 32 man server in Counter-Strike, as long as a decent number of my clan were in there, say 8-12 guys, people started joining and it would soon fill up. With a decent amount of regular GAFers, lurkers and people just looking for a 64 man server, one would hope we wouldn't have too much of an issue getting it populated a lot of the time.

I hope so. Honestly my hope is at least 20 regular donors for a 64 man US server, so that each individual donation doesn't really need to top $5 a month. If we can double that to 40 donors and make each individual donation $2.50, all the better. The lower the monthly buy-in, the more likely people are to actually pay it every month.

We should have no problem filling it I guess. Paying for it every month is my one real concern right now.

Worst case scenario, we flood into unsuspecting third party servers, and destroy anyone there.

64 slots is a whole lot to fill.

I'll be playing and supporting, hopefully financially as well.

I'm interested to see if the maps can cater to that number. If there were 64 people in the alpha stage then it would have been awful to play.

LordCanti said:
I hope so. Honestly my hope is at least 20 regular donors for a 64 man US server, so that each individual donation doesn't really need to top $5 a month. If we can double that to 40 donors and make each individual donation $2.50, all the better. The lower the monthly buy-in, the more likely people are to actually pay it every month.

We should have no problem filling it I guess. Paying for it every month is my one real concern right now.

Worst case scenario, we flood into unsuspecting third party servers, and destroy anyone there.
Personally, if I paid for a month and was happy with it, I'd be more than willing to straight up pay 12 months up front there and then.

I'm sure not everyone would, but yeah.

Providing it wasn't $8 per person or whatever. That'd be too expensive :p

LordCanti

Heavy's Sandvich said:
64 slots is a whole lot to fill.

I'll be playing and supporting, hopefully financially as well.

I'm interested to see if the maps can cater to that number. If there were 64 people in the alpha stage then it would have been awful to play.

Someone overlaid the biggest (or one of the biggest anyway) BC2 maps over Caspian Border (the BF3 beta map) and Caspian Border looked to be approximately 20-30% bigger. It shouldn't be cramped at all. Hopefully more than just that map is that large.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Personally, if I paid for a month and was happy with it, I'd be more than willing to straight up pay 12 months up front there and then.

I'm sure not everyone would, but yeah.

Providing it wasn't $8 per person or whatever. That'd be too expensive :p

I'm thinking $5 is the most that anyone could reasonably be expected to pay on a month to month basis. If we can't get twenty donors, the server is kind of pointless anyway.

If anyone out there is fantastically wealthy and just wants to straight up pay for the server, by all means :p

(A sponsor wouldn't be bad either. We'll personally push your wares 24/7 for as long as the server is running; Valve, EA, Activision, Razer, Logitech, Steelseries, Madcatz etc)

Dreams-Visions | Heavenly-Hammer

I'd be willing to contribute after seeing how things go. I've never played a BF game before. But if I like it, I'll put something into the pot.

ss_lemonade

Will be preordering this weekend ^^

This will be my first time playing this type of game online. I'll try to support if ping times aren't horrible on my side :( (Philippines here). PS3 games online seem to work fine so I hope the same will be true here.

georaldc | georaldc

Updated OP. Can you please give me your location/region? I should have asked for that at the onset, but we need it to best determine where the server should be. Thanks!

ChiefKief said:
So are we gonna end up using mumble without a doubt?

Wanna get it up and running ASAP.

Like others said, Mumble is very easy to set up, but I'm curious to see how well the comms in Battlelog are. They said they're looking into other team communication options as well, so hopefully we can talk to people outside squads.

LordCanti

@Mr. Snrub -

Turns out that PaNaMa's Origin name is actually byrnex.

so

PaNaMa | byrnex

Oh, and I'm in the Midwestern U.S. (Central)

Yaska

My location is Finland. (Scandinavia, Northern Europe)

At the moment I would be interested in supporting GAF server for month or 2. ( My job ends at october/november, so will lose my income. Thus I cannot pledge to support for longer, unless I find another job.)

bigf00t

I'll support a server. I'm in West Coast Canada, but you can put me in West Coast US if need be, as I usually play on LA/Seattle Servers anyway.

Top Bottom