• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Updating now...what do you all think would be the best way to classify locations? Since we're using the location to determine. By region? By timezone?

Yaska

Perhaps by continent for starters. And later can break it down. NA could be west coast and east coast tho.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
Updating now...what do you all think would be the best way to classify locations? Since we're using the location to determine. By region? By timezone?

USA: Western/Central/Eastern
Europe: Western Europe / Eastern Europe

Then a category for "Other", where people can specify where a server would be best for them?

Honestly it would be kind of silly to even break Europe up into two parts. I think we all know that if it's going in Europe, it's probably going in either the UK or a Nordic country. Ping times to the US from Eastern Europe would be...ehhhh.

Spl1nter

LordCanti said:
Honestly it would be kind of silly to even break Europe up into two parts. I think we all know that if it's going in Europe, it's probably going in either the UK or a Nordic country. Ping times to the US from Eastern Europe would be...ehhhh.

Then why are those ruskies always on my east coast servers?

Jtrizzy

I just got into pc gaming, but I play BC2 with people around the world on PS3 and it seems to work fine. One 64 player server is going to be enough.

also, who is going to decide the game options? Maybe a 3 man panel can decide the on the various issues.

I am in the EST and will contribute to the server fund. We should incentivise (not sure how) for those who pay for 6 months or a years at a time. $5 per month is as high as I'm willing to commit to.

LordCanti

Jtrizzy said:
I just got into pc gaming, but I play BC2 with people around the world on PS3 and it seems to work fine. One 64 player server is going to be enough.

also, who is going to decide the game options? Maybe a 3 man panel can decide the on the various issues.

I am in the EST and will contribute to the server fund. We should incentivise (not sure how) for those who pay for 6 months or a years at a time. $5 per month is as high as I'm willing to commit to.

Reserved slots are probably the best option for donors. With reserved slots, a donor would bump the last non-donor that joined the server out, so that the donor could play. It won't be much of an incentive until the server is full though. Until then, the incentive will just have to be having a server of our own, I guess.

Which honestly is a big incentive for me. It'd be great to just have one server to play on, rather than everyone joining on each other in the friend list, hoping the server isn't full, etc.

Jtrizzy said:

I wonder if Ranked vs. Unranked is just a toggle option and not something that's set in stone. We could have some fun. From DICE's dedi server info:

In Unranked mode, player progression is not tracked on the master servers. Server administrators have free reign on such servers – no Battlefield Rules of Engagement to heed. They can control in detail which weapons are available to the players, etc. This mode is suited to playing clan matches, tournaments, or to those players who just like the fairness of everyone having the same range of weapons available to them.

I think that most nights, we should have one mode + certain maps playing that we can all agree on as being "good". Maybe certain nights of the week/month we can have some custom matches set up.

sk3tch

Jesus...just added all of you fools. That could have definitely been made easier by EA. Ah well. Now here's hoping no one else wants to join the list from here on out. ;)

I'm already on the list, but if you add-in after this, invite sk3tchcom so I don't have to keep track of who I did/did not add lol. :)

Kyaw

Mr. Snrub said:
I think that most nights, we should have one mode + certain maps playing that we can all agree on as being "good". Maybe certain nights of the week/month we can have some custom matches set up.

And that will be Conquest. :D

Can we mix Conquest and Rush together like some servers did in BC2?

LordCanti

Kyaw said:
And that will be Conquest. :D

Can we mix Conquest and Rush together like some servers did in BC2?

Not without kicking half the players off the server we can't. I don't think 32 player Rush can co-exist with 64 player conquest on a server. It just wouldn't work in terms of player count.

If the server weren't full, I guess it would work. There's no way we can say "Okay guys, we're switching to Rush, and half of you are about to get booted" though.

Kyaw

LordCanti said:
Not without kicking half the players off the server we can't. I don't think 32 player Rush can co-exist with 64 player conquest on a server. It just wouldn't work in terms of player count.

If the server weren't full, I guess it would work. There's no way we can say "Okay guys, we're switching to Rush, and half of you are about to get booted" though.

Oh shit yeah... i totally forgot about the player difference between Rush and CQ...

Well, then, CQ ALL THE WAY! :D

Yaska

If we get something like 20-30 persons who are ready to donate for Gaf servers, how about having a conquest and a rush server? That way we would have a 32 man server and 64 man server and both modes available for our use.

edit: with 20 donors the amount for 2 servers a month would be roughly 5,3€ per person to have 2 servers. If we get more it'll be even less.

LordCanti

Yaska said:
If we get something like 20-30 persons who are ready to donate for Gaf servers, how about having a conquest and a rush server? That way we would have a 32 man server and 64 man server and both modes available for our use.

edit: with 20 donors the amount for 2 servers a month would be roughly 5,3€ per person to have 2 servers. If we get more it'll be even less.

It would be nice, but it's all a question of paying for it. We've got twenty listed donors right now (with no idea if their commitment will last beyond the first month or two) and not all of them are on board for an American server (if it turns out that Americans are in the majority, which is looking likely). That could cut into our donor numbers. For what it's worth, I'm willing to try out a European server if us yanks are outnumbered.

I'm hoping for 30-40 donors a month on average. That would bring the total necessary average donation to the 2.5-3.5 dollar range, and be much more likely to be sustainable for months. Adding another server on top of that would drive those ranges up.

Foliorum Viridum said:
A dedicated Conquest server is fine for me, personally.

I don't want to support two servers.

Yeah, I don't really want to support a second server either. If we sell a lot of reserved slots though, maybe a second server could pay for itself. We should definitely go one server at a time though.

ss_lemonade

georaldc / georaldc again (I'm already on the list), all the way from Asia, Philippines. Jeez I don't know if I'll even be able to connect decently with you guys

Jtrizzy

switching to KB/M has been more difficult than I thought it'd be. Played BC2 300+ hours on PS3, so everything is counter intuitive even though I know the maps so well.

abuC

Jtrizzy said:
switching to KB/M has been more difficult than I thought it'd be. Played BC2 300+ hours on PS3, so everything is counter intuitive even though I know the maps so well.
:(

I might just use a controller.

Pennybags

Jtrizzy said:

I feel ya. I can play FPS like TF2 with fast movement/run-n-gun just fine.

Throw in almost mandatory crouch and sprinting in games that require "tactical" movement, and it just breaks me.

ph33nix said:
Ah, sorry, I got my origin name wrong. Should be "ysbball812"

I'm also in TX...so US South?

I'm in Austin myself, put me/you as Central.

Jtrizzy said:

Always turn off mouse smoothing/acceleration in the in-game options. Make sure you're comfortable with the sensitivity as well.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub, have you thought about how you are going to collect donations yet? If you were planning to set up a paypal account, it may not be a bad idea to do it soon. It would suck pretty hard if you set one up shortly before, got a flood of donations, and then had the account locked on suspicious activity or something :p (happened to me when I sold a pair of headphones once).

Top Bottom