• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

Folks with stuttering/crashing issues - try lowering your textures to High instead of Ultra as a temporary fix. I'm now running with everything on Ultra except textures and MP works fine.

Arcipello

Issue : BF3 will freeze, screen will turn black and then suddenly im at the desktop and can see the monitor DVI signal image appear in the top right for a second... im then forced to ctrl alt del the BF3.exe ..... the fan on the GFX card also changes to its default low speed just as everything blacks out. i have a GTX 570, 650 corsair PSU, 6 gig ram and 4.0ghz pentium. i used to have a GTX 470 for the beta and the same thing happened:( does anyone else experience this?????

Shnookums

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Shit gets weirder and weirder. So so far if you have stuttering try:

Unplugging any 360 controllers
Turning down MSAA
Turn off cloud saving
Try beta drivers (if Nvidia)
Uninstall OR install latest crossfire profiles (if AMD)

Good shit all around.

And it gets even weirder. After posting about my success with disconnecting the 360 controller and using cap3 I made myself a quick snack before playing more. When I started the game back up it was suddenly stuttering again. I'm so confused and annoyed.

kitch9

Banned
Why will the game not let me select any higher than medium terrain detail on a 6970? I can select ultra with all the others just fine.

Darkone

Having slow frame rate issue with this spec on Ultra Settings:

Core i5 - 2500K
4 GB memory
GTX560 Ti
Resolution - 1920 X 1080

Latest Nvidia drivers updated.

supersaw

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Shit gets weirder and weirder. So so far if you have stuttering try:

Uninstall OR install latest crossfire profiles (if AMD)

Good shit all around.

BigBlackGamer said:
I've tried every "fix" for stuttering and it still stutters like crazy.

Shnookums said:
And it gets even weirder. After posting about my success with disconnecting the 360 controller and using cap3 I made myself a quick snack before playing more. When I started the game back up it was suddenly stuttering again. I'm so confused and annoyed.

For me forcing Triple Buffering and VSYNC on made the game playable at the expense of FPS, but given what I'm seeing here praying to a deity and sacrificing a small animal could also be an effective fix. I think this one is gonna be a bit shady until a proper driver release and/or patch.

Confiture

Banned
Darkone said:

Core i5 - 2500K
4 GB memory
GTX560 Ti
Resolution - 1920 X 1080

You can't expect not to have framerate issues on ultra@1080p with a single gpu (even a 580)

kitch9

Banned
Darkone said:

Core i5 - 2500K
4 GB memory
GTX560 Ti
Resolution - 1920 X 1080

Don't use MSAA and use Post AA instead. (FXAA) Turn SSAO on instead of HBAO, hardly any difference but runs MUCH better.

SLV

Arcipello said:
Issue : BF3 will freeze, screen will turn black and then suddenly im at the desktop and can see the monitor DVI signal image appear in the top right for a second... im then forced to ctrl alt del the BF3.exe ..... the fan on the GFX card also changes to its default low speed just as everything blacks out. i have a GTX 570, 650 corsair PSU, 6 gig ram and 4.0ghz pentium. i used to have a GTX 470 for the beta and the same thing happened:( does anyone else experience this?????

How much ampers does you PSU have ? You need a total of 36-38 for GTX 570 as far as i know.

furfoots

elektrixx said:
Is there a way to force locked 30FPS?

If you're running an ATI/AMD card you try to use RadeonPro and enable double vsync. It will give you some mouselag though.

I have had quite a bit of trouble enabling BF3 in RadeonPro though, for some reason it works on one windows profile and not the other. This is probably due to the fact that it launches from a web browser.

Arcipello

SLV said:
How much ampers does you PSU have ? You need a total of 36-38 for GTX 570 as far as i know.

how would i find that out??? also i should mention i had the game running at Ultra everything, 1920-1200 and 4X AA.... ran really smoothly but yeah its also probably stressing things out, i only tested the game for 30 mins last night before i had to leave, but as soon as it did that crash that i had seen for the BETA, i was very dissapointed. i really hoped that issue was just BETA related :(

kitch9

Banned
Ok, this is pissing me off.... Has nobody else got their terrain detail option fixed at medium?

Why can't I select higher?

Manager

kitch9 said:
Its a 6970?

It does. Have you updated your drivers recently?

Arcipello said:

Sounds like your monitor doesn't support the chosen resolution?

Anilusion

What should I set the mouse sensitivity to (in the config file) for it to be the same speed as "3" in Source and CoD games?

Dries

Oh no... The word stuttering gives me nightmares with Human Revolution still in mind. In the end, I couldn't even play the game because of the stuttering. So now people are encountering it in BF3? Great.... :-/ hope I won't be affected..

Anyway, could I get at least 30 fps with these specs? Max settings.

i5 2500k 3.3ghz stock
8 gig ram
ATI 6970 2 gig
res: 1920 x 1080

Asgaro

alphaNoid said:
I am running the game 100% on High (4xAA).. solid 60 FPS.

My rig is dated..

Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
ATI 5850 @ 800/1130
4GB RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

note : I believe this is achieved due to high performance SSD. I recall Frostbite 1.0 had tons of CPU offloading for physics and destruction so I'm sure 2.0 does as well. OC'd Q6600 are a beast (one of the best procs I've ever owned) and the read/write times on the SSD are through the roof. Having a powerful CPU but mostly the SSD is really helping push FPS a bit.

Also, I'm running D3DOverider for based triple buffering VSYNC from the desktop. Thats probably saving me 10-15FPS by not using ingame VSYNC (which EATS resources).

petethepanda said:
Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, radeon hd6770 1gb, 4gb ddr2, win7 64. High settings across the board, no AA, SSAO. In singleplayer I can get up to mid 50s indoors, down to high 30s outdoors. Haven't check multi, but it's probably the same minus 5 or 10.

Can one of you try Caspian Border on a full 64p server?
I have Q6600 3.0Ghz and ATI 6950 1GB. Res 1920x1080

I had quite bad performance there in the Beta: around 25 - 35 fps mostly. Even on Low.
Operation Metro ran perfectly smooth on High/Ultra: around 50 fps.

So I wanna know if there were optimizations for older quadcores on 64p servers. Thx!

Darkone

Dries said:
Oh no... The word stuttering gives me nightmares with Human Revolution still in mind. In the end, I couldn't even play the game because of the stuttering. So now people are encountering it in BF3? Great.... :-/ hope I won't be affected..

Anyway, could I get at least 30 fps with these specs? Max settings.

i5 2500k 3.3ghz stock
8 gig ram
ATI 6970 2 gig
res: 1920 x 1080

I have GTX560 Ti and less memory and Dues EX ran smoothly but i am having frame rate problem with BF3 on Ultra settings.

One of my 6850s is out, so I've started playing the campaign with just one until my replacement comes through.

Spec:
Sapphire HD 6850 1GB (Oc'd at 900/1200)
AMD Phenom II X4 955

Every setting at Ultra, AA deffered off, and HBAO/SSAO off.

FPS:
Solid 60 indoors, doesn't dip below 55.
Outdoors around 45-50 fps, dipping to a minimum of 35ish.

DICE are masters of optimization it would seem. Can't wait to get the replacement, and turn everything on in Crossfire; should result in a solid 60 hopefully.

Arcipello said:
I have the same problem but with a 560ti - it seems the drivers are crashing, making the game crash to desktop.

Any fix for this?

Manager

TheNamelessOne said:
I have the same problem but with a 560ti - it seems the drivers are crashing, making the game crash to desktop.

Any fix for this?

You can do a driver sweep and return to older, safer drivers (if it's a driver issue) or just re-install the current. How old are your current ones?

Arcipello

TheNamelessOne said:

Any fix for this?

nice to know that im not alone :D you are now my crash brother

Manager said:
You can do a driver sweep and return to older, safer drivers (if it's a driver issue) or just re-install the current. How old are your current ones?
I have the latest drivers insalled. Did a clean install now and I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Evoga

This is the first game in a long time that has me interested in upgrading my pc. Waiting on my two pre-orders to arrive on Friday.

Anyone recommend which graphics card is the best for price/performance as I only have a 5830 at the moment.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I've got a Core i7 @ 2.93 GHz, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 1 GB.
What can I expect playing on high at 720p resolution, a decent framerate?
You'll easily get 60 fps on high at that resolution.

Runs nice for me on ultra at 1920x1080 - i7 920, SLI GTX560. Frame rate varies a lot from 70-120 and dips down to 50s with all the shiny lights and explosions at once. I'm using a 120hz monitor and there's a bug where it defaults to 120hz despite forcing it to run at any other refresh rate in the options.

It definitely uses a lot of vram as afterburner reports it topping out at 1010mb often. Turning the graphics down to high pushes this down to about 900ish. I get some stuttering when moving through areas and it loads in more of the level.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
has anybody dug into config file? I don't want MSAA on Ultra, just let me have more tesselation and some borked AA-technique.

Runs fine on my GTX 460/i5 2500k (Sandy Bridge) at Max settings. It's not quite hitting 60fps but it looks great. I've found that the levels and maps take long to load though. I'm not sure what the issue might be there.

Manager

subversus said:
has anybody dug into config file? I don't want MSAA on Ultra, just let me have more tesselation and some borked AA-technique.

Hmm? AA Deferred change MSAA. Maybe I missunderstand you, but you could just disable it there.

DoctorWho said:
Why? What is it doing to performance?

There's talk of it causing stuttering.

goodfella

Darkone said:
I have GTX560 Ti and less memory and Dues EX ran smoothly but i am having frame rate problem with BF3 on Ultra settings.

Funny I have a 560ti too and I have terrible stuttering in HR and none in BF3.

The randomness of pc gaming. sigh.

Confiture

Banned
I know the first page says it's possible to play with a controller but I just can't get mine to work (360 wireless)...
Anyone able to play with one?

Top Bottom