• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

knitoe said:
It's AMD mini fixes, called ATI Application Profiles in add/remove programs, which you install to usually improves performance in CF. 11.9 CAP 3 is the latest one. Just remove it.
Wow - no, never heard of those and ATI Application Profiles doesn't show up in my list of programs. Should I find and install them? Besides CAP 3 that is?

Wallach said:
Catalyst application profiles. They're a separate download from the driver sets, so if you have only been downloading and installing the driver packages you don't have to worry about them. You have CF 6950s though, so I figure have been using them?
I haven't been using them, but to be honest it doesn't seem like many games of mine take advantage of crossfire as it is.

LQX

Sort of odd but so far I think the Beta ran better than the full retail game for me with a AMD 955. I have only played one map so far on my new i5-2500K but my experience in the Beta with the same settings were slightly smoother.

knitoe

NullPointer said:
Wow - no, never heard of those and ATI Application Profiles doesn't show up in my list of programs. Should I find and install them? Besides CAP 3 that is?
No. The only thing you should have install is the AMD Catalyst 11.10 Version 3 Preview Driver. The drivers has old CF profiles included. It's only when AMD releases fixes between the driver updates is when CAPs are needed.

vaelic

Banned
knitoe said:
No. The only thing you should have install is the AMD Catalyst 11.10 Version 3 Preview Driver. The drivers has old CF profiles included. It's only when AMD releases fixes between the driver updates is when CAPs are needed.
FYI 99% of CAPS drivers are for CF only

nib95

Banned
So how well will an i7 920 @3.9ghz and SSC GTX 570 combo do with this game? Any ideas?

EDIT: Didn't realise there were CPU details listed in the OP benchmarks. 4.5ghz i7. Damn, I'm worried about getting smooth framerates at max settings now.

Menelaus

Banned
Good news for the 460 owners: set all to high, disabled motion blur, using 2x AA and HBAO and getting 45-50 FPS. Only seen it dip to high 30s once, and it came right back up.

I must say, performance is pretty fantastic with everything on Ultra other than MSAA. Post-AA is on High, too. Seems like a decent trade off (until everything starts stuttering/crashing, of course).

ACE 1991 said:
Man, Multiplayer is WAY more resource intensive than SP. I can barely stay above 40 most of the time with everyone on high, 0XAA, HBAO, and ultra textures. I'm running a 6950 1GB/i5 2500K (@ 4.0ghz)/8gb of ram.

Weird. I'm seeing the opposite. Single player frame rate is so all over the place it's unplayable to me. Multiplayer is good other then bouts of lag. I turned HBAO off and things got way better.

REV 09 said:
I've never seen such high framerates seem so choppy. Anything below 50fps feels choppy to me, and i'm primarily a console gamer...what gives?

Agreed. What are your specs? I feel like even when I'm hitting 60 in single player I am running choppy. I'm not touching it again until there are patches. I think tomororw once it's available to everyone, we'll get a better idea of what is going on as far as who is having what problems with what setups.

Smokey said:
lol u should've said something :p

I was too busy being pissed that my squad was filled with snipers who wouldn't move up. I did throw you a medkit and I'm pretty sure you threw me ammo. So we shared a moment.

GrizzNKev said:
I get insanely slow load times. Anyone else experience this? i5 2500k @ 4.0 Ghz

My 2500k is at 4.2, and yes. My load times are epic. Especially in single player. Shocked to see others saying it's good for them.

Peterthumpa

Pretty bad load times here too. Spoilers:
In the Aircrarft mission, I got a helluva of loading to use that special screen to bomb some ground way down.

ElyrionX

I have an Intel 320 120GB SSD and a WD Blue 1TB HDD. For now, all my games are on the HDD. Is it worth installing this to my precious SSD? My Origin installation is currently on the HDD though. Does Origin allow for installation to a different drive from where the Origin client is installed?

Potentially stupid question, but are there two 11.10 catalyst drivers? I seem to have remembered dl'ing 11.10 on the day of the open beta. Is this version 3 a different set?

knitoe

Gully State said:
Potentially stupid question, but are there two 11.10 catalyst drivers? I seem to have remembered dl'ing 11.10 on the day of the open beta. Is this version 3 a different set?
Yes. 11.10 are all preview drivers, update from 1 (BF3 beta?) to 2 to 3.

Keep getting disonnected suddenly. Was checking out the co-op and it just kicked back to the browser instantly with the most generic "disconnected from server" message ever. EA is on to us!

i7 2600k @ 4.5

On High, its smooth as butter. I bet I'd be okay on Ultra.

Edit: Load time is super quick and the game isn't even on my SSD.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I noticed a massive performance increase when lowering Textures to High and disabling AA.

My settings:

i3-2100
Radeon HD 6850
4GB RAM

Resolution: 1680x1050
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
Effects Quality: High
Mesh Quality: High
Terrain Quality: High
Terrain Decoration: High
Antialiasing Deferred: Off
Antialiasing Post: Medium
Motion Blur: Off
Anisotropic Filter: 16X
Ambient Occulsion: HBAO

Average fps (campaign): 60

I shit you not. The game runs superbly at these settings and still looks fantastic. I was hitting 90 fps during the jet level. Just... damn.

A dual core CPU no less.

Spokker

MrOogieBoogie said:

I shit you not. The game runs superbly at these settings and still looks fantastic. I was hitting 90 fps during the jet level. Just... damn.

A dual core CPU no less.
The game isn't that demanding. I'd say a bit more demanding than BC2. I am running it on a dual core and a Radeon 6770 at 1440x900 with 2x anti-aliasing, HBAO on and all high settings and it's as playable as any other game.

It's perfect for someone like me who doesn't care about playing at 60 frames per second. I get around 30-45.

If you want it to look like real life, then yeah, you need a "rig." But for those who like playing video games, this is just fine.

And now the game just hard froze for the first time ever. Right at the end of a match and I was destroying. Good 6000 experience gone. Think I'll just be checking back in in a few days or a week and see if things are better.

EDIT: Maybe this is old news. Saw in their forums that someone posted 55 minutes ago to tell origin to repair your install and that once it did you would get an update. I did, and it did. But at the end I got a DirectX Seup Error. So, yeah. Guys may want to give that a try and hope you don't get that error.

EDIT 2: Blah. Now it's making me activate it again though. Here I come korea.

kinggroin

Banned
Phenom II x4 @ 3.6ghz
4GB DDR2
Radeon 5970 @ 912/1120
with Catlyst preview 11.10 preview 3 and latest CFX profile

1600x900 Ultra everything including AA options and max motion blur - 60fps like 80% of the time 50fps 15% of the time, never dropping below 35fps (rare that it gets this low)

1920x1080 Ultra everything including AA options and max motion blur - 40fps like 60% of the time 30fps 30% of the time, never dropping below 20fps (rare that it gets this low)

Cant enable morphilogical AA with either options and settings above. Results in a framerate that looks like 60-15-3-60-15-3 ugh. Murders my VRAM, although it looks damn near CG.

ibcoc1.jpg

Yikes!

Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
MSi GTX 560 Ti @ 950 mhz
1920x1080

I can play on high with v-sync on and get near 60 fps constant without any drop. However, I like to go to Ultra if my fps only drops to around 45 fps. About half of the maps I can go on Ultra and still play without issue.

Load times: They are longer than I would like but they aren't dreadful. Though, the single player levels seem longer to load longer, which seems strange to me considering you would think the game does background loading.

mug

MrOogieBoogie said:
I noticed a massive performance increase when lowering Textures to High and disabling AA.

My settings:

i3-2100
Radeon HD 6850
4GB RAM

Resolution: 1680x1050
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
Effects Quality: High
Mesh Quality: High
Terrain Quality: High
Terrain Decoration: High
Antialiasing Deferred: Off
Antialiasing Post: Medium
Motion Blur: Off
Anisotropic Filter: 16X
Ambient Occulsion: HBAO

A dual core CPU no less.
Awesome, thanks for the info - we have the same setup. However, I'm running 8GB.

longdi

Banned
installed on SSD, no problem loading! :)
But is there a way to backup files to dvd from origin?

Upon some more playing, i think the graphics hits the mark on deferred rendering lighting and post processing effects and also animations. The polygons does not match Crysis2. I wish EA studios can managed to mix them both and make a real next gen game.

Karak

Posted in wrong forum last time.

Ok I have Windows 32 with 4 gigs of ram, Nvidia 570GTX.

The exe bloats to about 1.9 gigs and crashes, after leaving my system no resources, with Origin, and windows, and the browser open. Anyone else have this.

Dropping textures to lowest didn't do anything.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Out of curiosity, what's the best recommended AA method on ATI cards for this?

I hope to have this DL'd tomorrow sometime if my key gets sent to me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I had to get it cheap but now I'm just waiting on my key. I really wanted to go retail but screw paying 60 for a new DD (and retail) PC game.

Alright. So AA is what causes my game to chug. I can turn everything to ultra and even have HBAO on at get a pretty steady 60FPS with dips to 50 when shit gets crazy. I turn MSAA from 2 to 4 and shit starts getting crazy choppy. 2x works great, 4x = slideshow. There has got to be something fucked there that shouldn't be. But at least I've figured it out, so anyone else who feels they are getting choppy as fuck perfromance should try that. Even the part I said earlier was dipping down to 12FPS is pretty steady at 60 now. There has just got to be something broken with that setting.

So:

Sli 560 Ti's Beta Drivers
2500k @ 4.2 Ghz
8Gigs 1333
Ultra Settings with HBAO On and AA to 2x
60FPS Average

TheExodu5 said:
Still can't preload BF3. Origin is awesome.

That's fucked. Had mine preloaded since Friday. Do you get an error message or anything when you tell it to download?

Jtrizzy

Yes, I am too Kabuki. It seems to be running great, close to 60 at all times with everything on Ultra with a few tweaks, but there is a stutter going on for sure. I have a twin frozr 580.

I assumed it was microstuttering...not much of an expert. I'm going to try it again, I didn't have my 2600k oc'ed. Game looks beautiful, but it is off somehow.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Intel Core Duo 2 @ 3 Ghz
6 Gb RAM
GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Unfortunately, I've yet to even get into the game. I'm suffering from the awful, unbearable stuttering that's going around. It even effects the EA/DICE/Dolby intro video; the menu systems are basically unusable, let alone the game. I have the latest drivers on the video card, so I have no idea what's causing the problem.

BigBlackGamer said:
same for me. I've seen reports of it on other forums as well. :(

You guys should try turning down AA like I did and report back. Like I said, setting it to 2 works great for me, 4 causes it to stutter like a bitch.

Karak

God damn this thing. Bloated bitch. Their executable is the size of most OS's by the time you have played for awhile:(

DoctorZ

AMD phenom II x4 3.2 ghz
2x2gb ddr3
gtx 480

Hoping to get around 60 fps without sacrificing many settings.

edit: I also like the Nvidia are you ready checker thing.
Nvidia: You got a gtx 480, you're good.
Me: Are my drivers up to date?
Me: 'Cus I heard a new driver came out today or something can you check that I am really ready?

zedge

1920x1080 all default settings which are high. Runs smooth, better than beta.

Core i3
8GB Ram
Radeon 6850

Multiplayer is pure goddamn crack, so much fun. Really enjoying the maps I have seen so far too.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
1920x1200
2500k @ 4.3 (i think)
6970 stock
8GB ram

Everything at ultra gives me about 30 - 40 fps average, most in the high 30s.
Everything on high gives me maybe a 5fps boost? Nothing too special that's for sure.

Haven't been able to get it 60 solid, Doubt i will on my hardware which is a small shame but nothing major.

Shnookums

I'm having major stuttering issues in the first full mission in single player (after the opening sequence and interrogation cutscene). It's bizarre because the opening sequence played smooth, but the next mission is completely unplayable. It doesn't feel like a normal framerate drop either, it's more like smooth framerate interrupted by a stutter/pause every 1-2 seconds. Lowering video settings doesn't seem to help so far.

My system is an i7-860, Radeon 5970 (11.10 version 3 preview, 11.9 CAP 3).

Top Bottom