• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

alphaNoid

Banned
I am running the game 100% on High (4xAA).. solid 60 FPS.

My rig is dated..

Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
ATI 5850 @ 800/1130
4GB RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

note : I believe this is achieved due to high performance SSD. I recall Frostbite 1.0 had tons of CPU offloading for physics and destruction so I'm sure 2.0 does as well. OC'd Q6600 are a beast (one of the best procs I've ever owned) and the read/write times on the SSD are through the roof. Having a powerful CPU but mostly the SSD is really helping push FPS a bit.

Also, I'm running D3DOverider for based triple buffering VSYNC from the desktop. Thats probably saving me 10-15FPS by not using ingame VSYNC (which EATS resources).

TheExodu5

Banned
goodfella said:
Oh.

So what is the name for when you have a locked frame rate and the game is jerky?Happened to me in Fallout NV and when I tried using a frame rate limiter to limit TW2 to 30fps.

In the case of Fallout, it's an annoying issue with Bethesda's lighting engine. It usually happens when you look at a light source in that game. I don't know what causes that.

alphaNoid

Banned
Hero_of_the_Day said:
Really low resolution, or no, or both.
1920x1200, and sorry only 4xAA. I just verified. so not 100% on AA. Also I goofed, its High not Ultra sorry. I updated my last post.. I didn't mean to say maxed.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Really low resolution, or no, or both.

1440x900 or lower I'd say. Or he left MSAA and HBAO off.

edit:

alphaNoid said:
1920x1200, and sorry only 4xAA. I just verified. so not 100% on AA.

Wow, that is amazing. Is everything else on max? Including HBAO? And is that SP or MP?

alphaNoid

Banned
RibbedHero said:
1440x900 or lower I'd say. Or he left MSAA and HBAO off.

edit:

Wow, that is amazing. Is everything else on max? Including HBAO?
Yes, 1920x1200, everything on High, 4xAA, 16xAF HBAO ON. The game, just like BFBC2 actually runs better at these higher settings than when I lowered them. Oddly enough, it seems DICE really optimized for higher settings.

I would love to have everything on Ultra but to be honest, my PC is almost 4 years old now. All I've upgraded was my 5850 18 months ago for $250 and I'm running brand new games beyond what I'd ever expect. No PC upgrade in sight, whatsoever.

edit SSD was free.

alphaNoid said:
Yes, 1920x1200, everything on High, 4xAA, 16xAF HBAO ON. The game, just like BFBC2 actually runs better at these higher settings than when I lowered them. Oddly enough, it seems DICE really optimized for higher settings.

When you say max, your supposed to mean Ultra. The high settings explains it.

alphaNoid

Banned
RibbedHero said:
When you say max, your supposed to mean Ultra. The high settings explains it.
You are correct, I made a mistake originally by typo'ing max in my post. It has always been High, I haven't even tried Ultra to be honest. I did also get Eyefinity working but in order to sustain about 40FPS I had to turn off AA, AF, HBAO, drop shadows to Low and everything else to medium. At those settings the game was ugly :/

nitric0

Mattdaddy said:
Phenom II 955
560Ti
8GB
All stock speed

Running in 1920 x 1080 everything on High with the new drivers

High 62 fps, Low 22 fps, Avg 46. Feels nice and smooth for the most part so far
SP or MP?

grkazan12

Hey guys, I might switch from Ultra to High, but i'm not sure yet. Anyone know the main differences between high and ultra?

rabhw

Really having trouble getting this game to run properly. Even more annoying is that it seems to freeze 9/10 times that I go to enable/disable vsync when I'm testing stuff.

CrossfireX seems broken half the time and working the other half. Trying to force triple buffering on with radeonpro is troublesome. Aaaaaaand microstuttering out the ASS.

Smokey said:
So......don't upgrade to the newest Nvidia drivers?

WTF Nvidia

They ran like shit for me with Sli enabled. Ran fine without. So I'd try 'em out and see how it goes for you.

rabhw said:
Really having trouble getting this game to run properly. Even more annoying is that it seems to freeze 9/10 times that I go to enable/disable vsync when I'm testing stuff.

CrossfireX seems broken half the time and working the other half. Trying to force triple buffering on with radeonpro is troublesome. Aaaaaaand microstuttering out the ASS.

Sli 560 ti's don't seem any better. Seems like unless you have beastly cards (580's) this game isn't handling multi GPU's very well. Haven't had any freezing though. That's odd.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If you're vsynced at a locked 60fps, there won't be any microstutter. If one GPU fails to produce a frame in time, then your framerate would drop below 60fps.

Of course, if you can't maintain 60fps, then the microstutter can come back.

Really, microstutter depends a lot on the game. Crysis was unplayable without vsync. Battlefield 3, on the other hand, is very smooth with SLI.

edit: actually, as I recall, the issue with Crysis wasn't microstutter. Both GPUs render a different part of the frame in that game, which resulted in 2 or 3 tear lines.
That hasn't been my experience. Enabling v-sync and holding 60 fps isn't enough. The framerate still "looks wrong", though. Whether it's microstuttering or something else, it simply doesn't have the same fluidity of 60 fps to my eyes.

rabhw

Anyone else having the problem of the game locking up when you try to save visual settings? It seems fine if you change them from the main menu, but if you try doing it while in-game, it lets you change it, then when you exit the screen it says "Save settings?" and if I click yes, the game locks up and i have to force-close the process.

1-D_FTW

teepo said:
i'm getting some terrible stuttering as well as a list of graphical glitches.

on a gtx460 using the latest nvidia drivers

Running today's drivers and didn't have any issues. Played for a couple hours with the GTX 460 rocking 99 percent utilization the whole time (My Q9400@3.4Ghz was running at about 80 percent). Have you checked your GPU temps? Because unless you have a dual core processor, you will be running at 100 percent load and your temps will rise if you don't have the cooling for it.

mxgt

Banned
i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
GTX 570
1920x1080

On auto it's a solid 60fps which is mainly high with a few ultra and no AA.

All ultra and 2/4x aa it drops in the 40's regularly.

1-D_FTW said:
Running today's drivers and didn't have any issues. Played for a couple hours with the GTX 460 rocking 99 percent utilization the whole time (My Q9400@3.4Ghz was running at about 80 percent). Have you checked your GPU temps? Because unless you have a dual core processor, you will be running at 100 percent load and your temps will rise if you don't have the cooling for it.

I'm running a i7 930 and GTX 580 and experiencing the same thing. Doesn't matter what drivers I use.

6950 2gb
8gb RAM
955 Black Edition @ 3.8ghz
2048x1152

Single player: Everything on Ultra, 4xAA, 4xAF, SSAO.

40-50fps most of the time, dips to 30 in extreme cases.

Really happy with it!

Bossniak

Even in the 30s this game runs smooth. As long as its above 30 I have no problem with ultra.

Gtx460 1GB
Core i5
1920x1200 resolution.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm at work so i can't know for sure. Is there a way to change the bf3 install from HDD to my SSD without having to re download?

Peterthumpa

Posting here too:

So, controller support is in, but really bad. I'm unable to do QTE with a gamepad (X360 one), and all the button prompts are displayed using keyboard keys instead of the gamepad buttons.

C'mon DICE, in this day and age, that's bullshit.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sooo... am I missing something?

Why is 4x msaa barely noticeable yet it eats performance? Why must I resort to the vaseliney postprocess AA or live with jaggies the size of duplo pieces on my screen? ( granted it's far from as bad as c2 but still )

Has anyone with ATI cards that was experiencing stuttering managed to find a fix yet? Even with a single card the FPS is more than playable, but I'm getting way too much stuttering to actually enjoy the game.

I've tried enabling vsync in-game, in CCC and with D3DOverrider (every possible combination of on/off with all 3), but none of them seem to make much of a difference.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
squidyj said:
I guess I'd better get to OCing my 570
any figures on vram usage? 1920x1080 ultra?

An OC is definitely called for on 570s
Im using the old Beta drivers 285.38
Right now my GTX570 is back at stock clocks cuz my room has been pretty hot (damn australian weather and windows that wont open)....but i digress onto the results

Generally the game is smooth as butter, few dips below 60 whenever something super hectic happens, but thats to be expected right?

Campaign I ran Benchmarks through the first few levels and got:
Min: 56
Max: 121
Avg: 69.9​

Multiplayer I ran a bench on Tehran Highway (Hardcore Conquest)
Min: 53
Max: 114
Avg: 69.892
VRam usage i only checked in MP
Memory Size - 1280
Usage - 922 (72%)​

Im going to Overclock again later in the night when the weather and hopefully my room are a little more habitable, but i imagine ill be able to get those mins into the 60+ region.

Gotta love the GTX570 950/2300 on air?.....whats not to love.

P.S This is a marked improvement over the Beta....graphically and overall gameplay wise, ive really really enjoyed it so far.
Im surprised my stock clock GTX570 is able to run this so well.

Black_Stride said:
An OC is definitely called for on 570s
Im using the old Beta drivers 285.38
Right now my GTX570 is back at stock clocks cuz my room has been pretty hot (damn weather and windows that wont open)....but i digress onto the results

Generally the game is smooth as butter, few dips below 60 whenever something super hectic happens, but thats to be expected right?

Campaign I ran Benchmarks through the first few levels and got:
Min: 56
Max: 121
Avg: 69.9​

Multiplayer I ran a bench on Tehran Highway (Hardcore Conquest)
Min: 53
Max: 114
Avg: 69.892
VRam usage i only checked in MP
Memory Size - 1280
Usage - 922 (72%)​

Im going to Overclock again later in the night when the weather and hopefully my room are a little more habitable, but i imagine ill be able to get those mins into the 60+ region.

Gotta love the GTX570 950/2300 on air?.....whats not to love.

P.S This is a marked improvement over the Beta....graphically and overall gameplay wise, ive really really enjoyed it so far.
Im surprised my stock clock GTX570 is able to run this so well.

Was this 1920x1080, Ultra? What was AA set to?

Curious because I want my 570 to love this game tenderly, thanks for input brah

squidyj

Very nice. What`s the voltage on your 570? and what are you using to OC it? using MSI afterburner I'm having trouble breaking 900 at 1.1, might just be my card though.

Anyways it's encouraging to hear that things are an improvement from Beta. Beta was mostly fine for me except for occasional hitching on ultra so I had to set it down to high.

Kyaw

Played single player with everything at max and triple buffering got me around 40-50 fps.

Sometimes reaching 60 or over.

Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.6ghz
GTX480 1.5GB
4GB RAM
Using the latest WHQL drivers from Nvidia

Happy with my performance.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
FuttBuck said:
Was this 1920x1080, Ultra? What was AA set to?

Curious because I want my 570 to love this game tenderly, thanks for input brah

Yeah 1080p
All Ultra.
Anti Aliasing Deferred was off
Anti Aliasing Post was on High.

I havent tried with Deferred AA on, because in the Beta it killed my performance quite brutally.

I might try all Ultra when i overclock my GTX and maybe ill squeeze a little more from the processor as well, but honestly im quite happy with it at this level, and will probably play like this forever, but just for comparisons sake, ill do the overclocks and what-not.

squidyj said:
Very nice. What`s the voltage on your 570? and what are you using to OC it? using MSI afterburner I'm having trouble breaking 900 at 1.1, might just be my card though.

Anyways it's encouraging to hear that things are an improvement from Beta. Beta was mostly fine for me except for occasional hitching on ultra so I had to set it down to high.

The 950/2300 overclock is at 1.15v
Ive heard of guys doing 1000+ at 1.2v, if i get liquid cooling ill definitely be hitting those speeds, but right now im worried any higher/faster and ill fry something.

And i use Nvidia Inspector for overclocking

Hopefully EA isnt going to bitch about people unlocking the game early, Australia is only getting it on the 27th....thats some bullshit.

Hayvic

Great performance increase over the beta.

I have:

Q9450 @ 3Ghz
560Ti
4 Gb ram

running:
1080P
All high except for shadows and effects which are on medium.
AO off
MSAA 2x
Motion blur off
post processing aa off

Played 64p Firestorm map on full server. Ran an almost constant 60 fps.

10dollas

Banned
So for the computer illiterate, could some one say what the minimum avg price for a new computer that would play this on max and high settings respectively? Which GPUS and processors would be optimal?

irishcow said:
Do you guys think it's safe to circumvent origin with that trick? Any chance EA will retaliate?

Yes, it's completely safe. Just turn off the proxy once it's done activating. You only have to do it that one time. So once you get to the dumb ass server browser, turn off proxy. Zero chance EA will do anything to the people who do this. Zero. I promise.

Freki

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Yes, it's completely safe. Just turn off the proxy once it's done activating. You only have to do it that one time. So once you get to the dumb ass server browser, turn off proxy. Zero chance EA will do anything to the people who do this. Zero. I promise.

This!

EA doesn't care at all - they put the restrictions in place to comfort brick and mortar stores...

Top Bottom