• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

Wow im really disappointed with the performance, cant run everything at high with 2 * 6950 2GB modded @ 1920*1200 and a Intel 2600k @ 4.4Ghz :(, feels bad man.

Smokey

zephervack said:
Wow im really disappointed with the performance, cant run everything at high with 2 * 6950 2GB modded @ 1920*1200 and a Intel 2600k @ 4.4Ghz :(, feels bad man.

What? xfire and struggles on high? That has to be a driver issue.

For me SLI 3GB 580s, never goes below 60fps. Played Caspian Border Large Conquest, Ultra everything. Stayed around the 70-80 fps range. No slowdown just amazing all around me.

Manager

zephervack said:

That sounds really weird. We were tons of people who could play almost max, Ultra, with our 6950's on Caspian Boarder beta.

Manager said:
That sounds really weird. We were tons of people who could play almost max, Ultra, with our 6950's on Caspian Boarder beta.

Doing more tests right now, but my first impression is really bad, i installed the new drivers, 11.10 ver 3 and the latest cap for Crossfire, i dont understand :(

I'm running a Phenom II 965
4GB DDR3
1GB 6870
Ultra with a few things like HBAO off.

Performance can be anywhere from low 30's to 60 with random stutters and such. I'd happy just to cap the game at 30.

Really want a 2nd 6870 as they're cheap and scale well. But from reading here CF might not even run well.

Smokey said:

For me SLI 3GB 580s, never goes below 60fps. Played Caspian Border Large Conquest, Ultra everything. Stayed around the 70-80 fps range. No slowdown just amazing all around me.

Definitely a driver issue.

Running on just a single 5870 right now and having absolutely NO problems, after having a ton of Crossfire issues.

No stuttering. No crashes.

Great framerate (more than crossfire). Smooth w/o vsync. Beautiful.

Fuck ATI and their shit drivers.

Yep, gaming is locked at 34fps and it is not using my second card for some weird reason :(

Usage on second GPU = 0%

Was that their crossfire fix? lol

alphaNoid

Banned
Well reporting back, seems like my frame rates are not consistent. I was reporting great performance earlier but my FPS has dived into the high 30s with them. I'm basically 1/2 Medium/High now with some AF and thats it.

Fëanor

Running a Phenom II X3 720 BE (Beast!)
4GB DDR3
2GB 6950
1080p
Ultra everything, no AA and V sync off.

Performance can be anywhere from low 40's to high 70's and even going above 80 in the Jet Fighter level.

Smokey said:

I am right behind you. Unless there is someone else named SmokeyGAF. I thought you'd like to know.

coughlanio

Hmm, looking forward to seeing this cripple my rig.

How do you think my PC will handle it? I have a 4.6Ghz 2500k and 2x GTX 580s, but I play at 2560x1440...think I can do Ultra at native resolution? AA isn't needed as much at high resolutions like mine, so I could probably live without it.

Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, radeon hd6770 1gb, 4gb ddr2, win7 64. High settings across the board, no AA, SSAO. In singleplayer I can get up to mid 50s indoors, down to high 30s outdoors. Haven't check multi, but it's probably the same minus 5 or 10.

Spokker

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Yes, it's completely safe. Just turn off the proxy once it's done activating. You only have to do it that one time. So once you get to the dumb ass server browser, turn off proxy. Zero chance EA will do anything to the people who do this. Zero. I promise.
Hm, I did it and now it says, "Your account is not allowed to login" when I try to open Battlelog. Weird, it worked for a second.

ACE 1991

Man, Multiplayer is WAY more resource intensive than SP. I can barely stay above 40 most of the time with everyone on high, 0XAA, HBAO, and ultra textures. I'm running a 6950 1GB/i5 2500K (@ 4.0ghz)/8gb of ram.

REV 09

I've never seen such high framerates seem so choppy. Anything below 50fps feels choppy to me, and i'm primarily a console gamer...what gives?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
zephervack said:

Something is wrong on your end because I'm running everything at high on a single 6850 and a dual-core i3-2100 at a comfortable 35-50 fps (albeit 1680x1050 res).

Smokey

Prodigal said:
So is it still recommended to use the beta drivers for nvidia cards?

I'm still using the beta drivers. Haven't had any issues, so I'll probably stick with him. Have heard off and on reports about the official ones.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
I am right behind you. Unless there is someone else named SmokeyGAF. I thought you'd like to know.

lol u should've said something :p

I posted this in the OT, forgot this thread existed.

Singleplayer runs like a dream, but multiplayer starts gumming up after about ten minutes of play. Just played a round on Caspian, did great, and then at the beginning of the next round it started stuttering and giving me strange errors like disappearing guns, looping sounds, etc. I'm going to defrag my drive to see if that's the problem, but I don't know what to think otherwise - I have plenty of RAM, and my HDD is fairly new.

edit - doy, here's my specs:

Radeon 6950 (using the recommended preview drivers)
6GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965

Wallach

Y'know, looking at the benchmarks I'm actually most impressed by the minimum to average discrepancy. It's quite low, which is the hallmark of a very solid engine.

Wallach said:
Y'know, looking at the benchmarks I'm actually most impressed by the minimum to average discrepancy. It's quite low, which is the hallmark of a very solid engine.

Agreed. Playing the game on high on a 5870 feels very stable. It's rarely 60, but it stays in a fairly consistent range almost all of the time.

CrankyJay

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
Something is wrong on your end because I'm running everything at high on a single 6850 and a dual-core i3-2100 at a comfortable 35-50 fps (albeit 1680x1050 res).
This gives me some hope. I have a single 6850 i7 2600k 8gb ram. Hoping to go mid settings to at least make MP playable.

zephervack said:
Doing more tests right now, but my first impression is really bad, i installed the new drivers, 11.10 ver 3 and the latest cap for Crossfire, i dont understand :(

There's something wrong on your end. There's no way you can't play on high settings with CF 6950.

Tallshortman said:
There's something wrong on your end. There's no way you can't play on high settings with CF 6950.
I've got CF 5870 and I get an unbearable amount of stuttering with the recommended drivers. ATI/AMDs drivers aren't the best right now.

squidyj

Stupid physical copy. Spending today scrubbing my computer, making it all shiny and clean to install BF3 on tomorrow.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
zephervack said:
The new CAP is bad. Delete it.

Dual 2GB 6950s here, 8GB RAM, i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, Windows 7 64 bit.

Can I just tweak settings in game and get a solid 60fps on High? Or will I need to get into CCC configurations or forced video card settings? Just want to prep myself ;P

This unlocks at 9pm PST right? Pretty please?

Spokker

For those on a budget.

AMD Athlon II X2 at 3.1 GHz
Radeon 6770
4GB ram
Regular boring ass hard drive, not SSD

1440x900, 0xAA (just the one that you turn on or off, forgot what it's called), 8xAF
Everything high
No motion blur
HBAO on
Using drivers from beta

http://i.imgur.com/lDZwC.jpg

For some reason the cutscenes stutter in a predictable pattern and the sound skips, but the gameplay is fine. If you don't need 60 fps, you can enjoy the game. I'll probably turn HBAO off.

IcyBlueStrawberry said:
I've got CF 5870 and I get an unbearable amount of stuttering with the recommended drivers. ATI/AMDs drivers aren't the best right now.

The 6xxx series CF is considerably better. AMD drivers were fine in beta. Also, I believe he was talking about fps which he should be getting very high fps on high settings.

Aren't the cutscenes all compressed video? Sure looks like it to me, which is a shame, since we were all freaking out over the gorgeous lighting in them.

Khal_B

GrizzNKev said:
I get insanely slow load times. Anyone else experience this? i5 2500k @ 4.0 Ghz

It was loading slowly for me for my first few runs, but now it loads pretty quickly. i5 2500k @ 4.7 ghz.

Spokker

BigJiantRobut said:
Aren't the cutscenes all compressed video? Sure looks like it to me, which is a shame, since we were all freaking out over the gorgeous lighting in them.
Yeah, turns out they are videos (intro, interrogation scenes). I thought they just had a lot of filters at first. I figured it out when I noticed the menu videos were stuttering too. Very disappointing.

Funny how my computer has more trouble playing video than the game itself.

knitoe

With AMD CF, if this hasn't been mention already, remove the Cap3 and restart your computer to get rid of the microstuttering.

Running 2600K@4.5GHz, CF 6970, 1080p, vsync and max setting (except motion blur disable) getting locked 60fps. Sometimes CF stops working. If that happens, just restart the game.

knitoe said:
With AMD CF, if this hasn't been mention already, remove the Cap3 and restart your computer to get rid of the microstuttering.

Running 2600K@4.5GHz, CF 6970, 1080p, vsync and max setting (except motion blur disable) getting locked 60fps. Sometimes CF stops working. If that happens, just restart the game.
Yeah, I just caught on to that lol. I also disabled hyper-threading for good measure, but now I'm getting a stutter-free 60fps with everything maxed. Glorious.

knitoe

NullPointer said:
I have no idea what this even means.
It's AMD mini fixes, called ATI Application Profiles in add/remove programs, which you install to usually improves performance in CF. 11.9 CAP 3 is the latest one. Just remove it.

Wallach

NullPointer said:
I have no idea what this even means.

Catalyst application profiles. They're a separate download from the driver sets, so if you have only been downloading and installing the driver packages you don't have to worry about them. You have CF 6950s though, so I figure have been using them?

Top Bottom