• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4: Reveal Trailer At 11 PM PDT, March 26th

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Close to zero. You'll get a souped version of BF3. I bet that the submarine tease is part of the singleplayer. Nothing to do with MP.

(I will gladly eat my hat though)

Well commander mode is in.

PS BF3 is better than BF2 in a lot of ways :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I hope they show commander but I'm not sure how optimistic I am for it. They said it's not going to be the same as the BF2 version. I struggle to think of how that might be a positive. If they had said, "it's going to be like BF2 but way expanded"...
BF2's commander system was incredibly weird. Some random duder basically gets super powers that can tip the whole game in one direction or the other. Someone had to do it but a good CO wasn't doing any of the things that most people bought BF2 for. How many of the ~15 mil BF3 players even want that role, or would be competent at it?

izt_is

Banned
I know people play Battlefield more for the multiplayer but i hope they have a better campaign in this game, the last one was average and so scripted to an extent that it almost made COD seem open world!.

I have to admit, I kinda love heavily scripted games. It feels like i'm playing an interactive movie

KingKong

BF2's commander system was incredibly weird. Some random duder basically gets super powers that can tip the whole game in one direction or the other. Someone had to do it but a good CO wasn't doing any of the things that most people bought BF2 for. How many of the ~15 mil BF3 players even want that role, or would be competent at it?

its not any more complicated than piloting a jet and having commander - squad leaders - squad mates voice comm would make it a much better game

Arnie

Definitely willing to go along with the idea that Submarines are single player only. If they were in multiplayer that means opening the map up to diving, which means rendering lots more underwater space. Plus, can soldiers even dive with all that gear? Is it plausible for a soldier to jump in the water and swim downwards? I'd think not, but I can't be sure.

izt_is

Banned
Definitely willing to go along with the idea that Submarines are single player only. If they were in multiplayer that means opening the map up to diving, which means rendering lots more underwater space. Plus, can soldiers even dive with all that gear? Is it plausible for a soldier to jump in the water and swim downwards? I'd think not, but I can't be sure.

I agree with the gear thing. But if it's gonna be next gen...they had better do something to make it so like yes opening the map to diving....3 way faction battles on one map etc.

Something to take it to the next level. Otherwise what the hell is BF4 for?! (yes I know they're trying to cash in but still, one can hope)

I hope to god it's a multiplayer trailer. I love single player, but if it's a BF4 reveal it better be MP footage FIRST then SP.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
its not any more complicated than piloting a jet and having commander - squad leaders - squad mates voice comm would make it a much better game
It's not about complexity. It's about how the mainstream FPS community would react to gameplay that's more similar to an RTS. They might not find the critical act of resupplying squads to be as awesome as flying a sweet jet. Which leads to situations like a CO flying around in a sweet jet instead of helping his team.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make the feature work, but maybe BF2's approach isn't the best fit for BF4.

Arnie

I agree with the gear thing. But if it's gonna be next gen...they had better do something to make it so like yes opening the map to diving....3 way faction battles on one map etc.

Something to take it to the next level. Otherwise what the hell is BF4 for?! (yes I know they're trying to cash in but still, one can hope)

I hope to god it's a multiplayer trailer. I love single player, but if it's a BF4 reveal it better be MP footage FIRST then SP.

But it's for current gen, too. And that's where the majority of gamers are going to be playing it. I don't think they can introduce this huge new feature, this defining addition for the fourth major iteration, and then tell about 10 million players that they can't access it.

I agree that they need to do something, though. However my gut feeling, and excuse me for being cynical, is that DICE will literally just pump this game out. I feel it'll be nothing more than a slightly better looking BF3 with a new stable of maps and a new faction that plays almost identical to the other ones.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but this game's had two years of development, almost 18 months of full production, even (correct me if I'm wrong Nirolak). DICE are a huge studio, sure, but they're not miracle workers.

For me it needs a flagship game mode that we can talk about in the same breath as Conquest, or Rush, but I don't think it'll have it.

shogunduk

I'm excited to see if they learned anything from BF3's failure as a proper sequel or if they're going to go deeper down the hole of casualization.

KingKong

It's not about complexity. It's about how the mainstream FPS community would react to gameplay that's more similar to an RTS. They might not find the critical act of resupplying squads to be as awesome as flying a sweet jet. Which leads to situations like a CO flying around in a sweet jet instead of helping his team.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make the feature work, but maybe BF2's approach isn't the best fit for BF4.

Eh it was fine in BF2, and its barely an RTS, from what i remember in BF2 comms mostly dropped supplies until the air scan or artillery were ready, some of the better ones would actually command units to move but you need good willing squads for that

hehe I remember feeling lucky to get a comm that actually paid enough attention to drop a supply crate to someone capping a far away point

But Battlefield 3 had the UH-1Y, not Blackhawks. Marine Corp helicopter squadrons cry out in anger.

My blackhawk comment was based on BC2 not BF3. I would rather have an MH60S with 2 GAU-21 .50 Cal guns and 2 M240D 7.62 machines guns over a black hawk with just 2 GAU-17's installed.

Plus, The MH60S has 8 Hellfire current configuration with "other" weapons coming soon.

sunnz

BF3 was more of a proper sequel then any other BF game released in the past 6 years.

They were spin offs, they are meant to be somewhat different and because of this games like BFBC1/2 were very good and enjoyable, if you did not look at them as BF2 sequels I mean.

I hope they cut campaign and put that effort into making multiplayer better. Have a pre-launch team dedicated to designing post-release DLC, so it can be released timely with high quality.
I guarantee they could make more money by doing that and selling Premium instead of trying to sell some copies to campaign lovers.

RoKKeR

The phase "amphibious assault" makes me feel like they will bring multiplayer battles to some extend to the multiplayer side. Along with the "Prepare 4 Battle" trailers, it just feels like they are MP-centric in their scale, given DICE's linear recent SP campaigns.

JJD

Well considering there's people like this:

Stationary-AA

I'm sure there will be competent commanders out there! Lol! =)

edit: it was already posted. Seeing this picture bigger I never noticed the second person behind the dude.

UQX89Kw.jpg

RoKKeR

I'm interested to see if they'll be able to keep the trailer under wraps. I'm sure we'll hear a few knee jerk reactions from media members from the event tomorrow.

Raven77

I really do think that this will be MP focused for the trailer.

I mean, most of the reveal stuff seems that way.

Also, who the hell cares about single player in a Battlefield game? If you care about that in BF more than multiplayer then please just...idk, seek help.

RiverBed

Banned
Seeing that its reveal is the week of GDC, the rest of the world should be going by the US. I mean, it's not like the US is the #1 market or anything. :p
BF4's GDC event is invite only (i.e. private). BF4's public unvieling is global, hence it can be freely set. There is a huge difference.
If you're debuting the game in the United States then you should at least release the game trailer at an appropriate time in the country in which it's being debuted.

The public unveiling is on the internet. The internet has no time. Time is relevant.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I really do think that this will be MP focused for the trailer.

I mean, most of the reveal stuff seems that way.

Also, who the hell cares about single player in a Battlefield game? If you care about that in BF more than multiplayer then please just...idk, seek help.
The SP is less likely to change between now and release. DICE is constantly messing with the MP's balance and mechanics.

If you're debuting the game in the United States then you should at least release the game trailer at an appropriate time in the country in which it's being debuted.

Thanks god they don't think the way you do, I'm kinda sick of missing all the announcements because of the world living by the 'MERICA clocks.

RiverBed

Banned
Don't they always reveal the SP first? Besides, SP is more presentable and stylistic. I want to see the tech and new features wrapped up in an awesome presentation that only SP can do.
I still can't get enough of the BF3 'My Life' unveil trailer. Kicks ass every time.

Top Bottom