• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 6 will be "heavily influenced by Battlefield 3"; also coming to PS4 and Xbox One

cd_jakevas

No objective person could possibly hate BF3. It was Battlefield’s CoD 4: Modern Warfare (2007) moment. A game changer. Some people will always continue living in the past like those who still scream ”Bad Company!”. Don’t mind them, they are relics of the bygone era.

Battle Royal doesn’t bother me if it’s a separate thing like with Warzone, it’s good to give people a chance to try slice of a game for free and if they end up liking it, spending money on mtx, good. But it’s like a children’s playground compared to what real mp offers. At least, that’s how I feel about MW/Warzone relation.
I agree. I hope they don't put too much effort into battle royal .

Nothing comes close to a well balanced room with everyone playing the objective in conquest.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Everything I want enhanced in BF can`t be enhanced if it also has to run on last gen consoles......

if this information is true => /skip

Last edited:
Everything I want enhanced in BF can`t be enhanced if it also has to run on last gen consoles......

if this information is true => /skip
How’s that? You could see vastly improved building damage on next gen and so much more players in conquest. Better graphics overall and more vehicles. What more do you need?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
“Influenced by BF3” is a HUGE safety valve, reminds me of Call of Duty going back to Modern Warfare, it’s the same thing. Going back to modern combat will give them an edge.

Sybrix

BF3 was probably the worst Battlefield, so I am not sure why would you inspire new game by that trash.

When did you last play it?

I remember when BF3 came out it was slated a lot and its only in retrospect that it's gained the credibility it deserved.

Download it on PC if you can and play it again and see if your opinion changes.

To me its a really good BF game, the gameplay and mechanics are so good and it still plays great to this day.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
When did you last play it?

I remember when BF3 came out and its only in retrospect that it's gained the credibility it deserved.

Download it on PC if you can and play it again and see if your opinion changes.

To me its a really good BF game, the gameplay and mechanics are so good and it still plays great to this day.
I played it back then on X360 I believe, it was really bad in comparsion to BC2, I tried it again in BC and simply noped out, it has terrible input latency and it also feels like maps are worse than BC2, yeah destruction is nice, but that's about it. I beleive that B1 and BV was step in the right direction, I think that Battlefield V is the most imerssive MP shooter, if I don't count those very hardcore ones, like ARMA or stuff like that. Battlefield is probably my second favorite to BFBC2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I barely played BF3 on 360 since it was a stuttering mess. After you play COD at 60fps, it's tough to play a shooter that maxes out at 30fps.

However, shooters are all 60fps now, so that is solved. As long as the maps are good, I'll give BF6 a try.

Another bad thing about BF3 was that subway map where everyone gets funneled into thin corridors. Terrible map.

Last edited:

itsArtie

If it's anything like BF3 or 4 then it's gonna be epic. Haven't played BF in a while, hopefully, they won't disappoint, I'm tired of playing CoD games.

Haggard

Banned
How’s that? You could see vastly improved building damage on next gen and so much more players in conquest. Better graphics overall and more vehicles. What more do you need?
"Improved" building damage that has to be scalable between the gens just means that you get the exact same shallow and very limited "last-gen" destruction possibilities on both platforms with differing amounts of visual goodies like particle numbers. That would just be splashed on make up, not a game mechanical improvement.
A generally increased amount of dynamic objects per scene like debris, or really anything that makes a scene "real" and would offer more possibilities also has to remain purely set-dressing if you wish to have it scalable with last gen hardware.

Anything that has to run on both gens will always just be a last gen game with some added graphical sliders.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

coming to PS4 and XboxOne? must be this year then

i dont think BF4 suffered much from being cross gen, since Dice seem fine crippling prevs gen version if it needs to, so should be fine

Naked Lunch

BF3 and BF2 (PC) are the best Battlefield formula - so this is good news.
All who say otherwise don't know shit about the series.

GamingKaiju

BF3>>>>BF1>BC2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BF4

Honestly 4 was just awful so I'm glad they're taking inspiration from BF3 hahaha I can't wait till to play classic Metro Rush with 128 players on a max count server, the carnage will be next lvl.

Phase

I honestly didn't like BF matches when the player count got passed 32. For big games 16v16 seemed to be the sweet spot. You can push and be rewarded for it by taking ground. There developed a nice struggle between equally matched teams. The maps have to be so massive for huge player counts. I steer towards arena fps type matches since I don't feel progression in massive battles.

I played mostly 8v8 or squad matches so hopefully smaller game modes will be there.

What's the timeline on this? Having cross-gen games potentially so far after the launch of next gen consoles, seems sketchy.
Where you been? Cross gen games usually last for 2 years. MGS 5 came to both ps4 and ps3 in September 2015. Dragone Age 3 Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor were cross gen as well in 2014 and so was Evil Within. This is normal. You won't see true next gen games till end of next year and after with a few exceptions.

Arachnid

Inspired by BF3 is great. It's my second favorite BF right after Bad Company 2.

We'll see if they deliver though. I don't have much faith in DICE anymore, and EA is still their publisher. Their last 3 entries are BFV, BF1, and Hardline. Keeping my expectations low seems like the smart choice.

Liljagare

Going to have to be good imho, 3 was good, but 2 and 2142 both were different.. But I guess the sales for 3 speaks volumes too.

chigstoke

Surely most people would take a BF6 that is influenced by BF3?

That's my idea of a great Battlefield game personally.

I'm indifferent on BR though, can't see anything knocking me or my mates off of Warzone anytime soon. But I'll certainly give it a try.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

also coming to PS4 and Xbox One​

all stars season 4 girl GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

I played it back then on X360 I believe, it was really bad in comparsion to BC2, I tried it again in BC and simply noped out, it has terrible input latency and it also feels like maps are worse than BC2, yeah destruction is nice, but that's about it. I beleive that B1 and BV was step in the right direction, I think that Battlefield V is the most imerssive MP shooter, if I don't count those very hardcore ones, like ARMA or stuff like that. Battlefield is probably my second favorite to BFBC2.

There's your problem, console versions were severely gimped. PC version was awesome.

apowhungo

I fail to see how this is an issue. If they aren't just toning down graphics but also destructibility of environments for last gen consoles it means that they are actually optimising past lowering textures and decreasing framerate (possibly).

This is a good thing.

It means that the "next gen" version will be what they want it to be, where old hardware will have gameplay limitations put in place so that the next gen version vision isn't hindered.
yeah uhh have you seen how that worked out for cyberpunk

bighugeguns

BR mode...

For fuck's sakes, stop! You're not good at it, stick to the thing that makes the game a thing.

It's probably going to have yet another infuriatingly mediocre single player campaign as well.

These are all resources that should go to the multiplayer base experience, maps, modes, assets, etc etc etc they've shown they can't balance all this stuff and deliver enough at launch.

Last edited:

Arun1910

yeah uhh have you seen how that worked out for cyberpunk
Cyberpunk didn't think about last gen, they said it themselves, they focused on high end PC's then worked backwards which was the wrong approach.

If EA have 2 builds going, one for last gen that will seemingly have less destructible environments as well as whatever else they choose and one for next gen with all their new features - I think it will go fine. This will be the reverse of what the Cyberpunk team did which was focus on last gen last.

bighugeguns

duck.gif

Of course they are.

(Also, when will this annoying battle royale hype die?)
They don't have the UX people to make it work, they just don't, dude Firestorm was awful, like, wtf are you doing awful. It's wasted resources tbh.

BR relies on an extremely well made and stable UI, those are things that modern DICE are probably worst at.

With COVID screwing up development flow everywhere as well, chasing BR yet again is pissing away resources which should be spent on core MP, if they announce no single player campaign I might have a little more hope, but if they make the same mistakes as BFV I'm going to give it a miss until 3 years down the line when it's $5.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
After their blunders for the past few games. This game is so easy to get right.

BF3 gameplay
Good selection of guns
Lots of good maps and plenty at launch

Done.

Desudzer10

Since there's 2 teams working on each gen's version, maybe it won't lower the quality of the next gen version as much. But still, cross gen needs to go. (Yes i know the majority is still on last gen consoles)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How to fade into obscurity as a multiplayer game.

Make large teams where individual choices don't determine the outcome of the game.

Does Battlefield address this issue at all?

Daffy Duck

Any details on when we’re expecting an announcement of this?

id assume it’s pencilled for 2021 but wouldn’t be at all surprised if it slips to 2022

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So long as they don't bring back suppression.

And fuck battle royale, the ship sailed and you missed it. Stop wasting dev time on it.

assurdum

Banned
The last 2 Battlefield were a fucking disaster. SP campaign were really...eccentric? But the worst part they were totally unfunny. Not sure the hell they thought on Dice.

I could kinda see a lastgen version now. The issue is you still cant buy a SeriesX or PS5 anywhere. At least here in Germany its impossible. And neither MS or Sony are giving an update about the stock situation.
I can understand publishers still releasing crossgen games a year or even two years after this new consoles came out.
Yeah we're gonna see "Ghosts" occurring this gen for a while (CoD Ghosts was gimped af on PS3 but still came out, if anyone needs reference).

Not enough PS5/XSX in the wild to put a massive AAA like Battlefield on exclusively this gen consoles.

So no BF 2142 huh?
will ferrell dont GIF

Just like HL3, I will never give up hope

Last edited:
Top Bottom