• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline Making Atleast 10 More Change Before Release

todahawk

Do you think DICE had a choice in the matter, though.. Charging for DLC sounds like EA. I could be wrong, but why would they make that kind of statement and then make the choice to reverse it on their own?

I think that's what sucks so much about this. DICE (and now Visceral) are dealing with the fallout of getting into bed with EA. I'm sure DICE didnt' want to release BF4 in the state it did either but they're still a part of this and their names are on the box.

RoKKeR

10 whole changes. Wow, good on them. Hopefully they get this mod all finished up by the time it actually releases!

Bitch comments aside, I wish Visceral well with the game and it seems like they are doing an ok job at getting it developed, but I have zero interest in the package as a whole.

i haven't played the game, are teams asymetric (like, do the criminals use different weapons than the poles etc., i suppose different vehicles are a given) and how's the time to kill ? similar to bf3&4 ?

TheJLC

i haven't played the game, are teams asymetric (like, do the criminals use different weapons than the poles etc., i suppose different vehicles are a given) and how's the time to kill ? similar to bf3&4 ?

Same weapons. So you have cops with RPGs, LMGs, C4. Robbers with Riot shields, tasers, police batons. Different vehicles and skins are teh only difference. Kill time for me felt a bit less than BF3 with some lucky shots killing people almost instantly.

Do you think DICE had a choice in the matter, though.. Charging for DLC sounds like EA. I could be wrong, but why would they make that kind of statement and then make the choice to reverse it on their own?

Logistics. I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again here, people are greatly misremembering BC2. It only had 4 free maps, none of which were 'new', the rest of the vip packs were existing maps in new gamemodes.
Work isn't free, no matter how evil you're perceived to be.
There are better questions like did EA force DICE to rush BF3/4's launch date to fight COD.

manzo

Hardline is a wet towel in the face for people who paid 69,95€ for BF4 and 49,95€ for premium. That's 170$.

Fixes are nice and all, but there are fundamental design problems with that game that can't be easily 'patched' or whatever.

Technically there's still the single player that could blow people away. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

WoolyNinja

With how great BF4 is on the PS4 at this point, not sure why anyone would jump over to what feels basically like a reskin of BF4 for full price. (based on the beta i played)

Hopefully they have a great single player campaign or something because this game feels like it should be $40 at best right now.

spootime

I think the optimal way to experience battlefield these days is to just play the betas and not buy the games. Three weeks or however long of battlefield is plenty for me until 6 months later when they release the next glorified full price expansion pack that I can """"""beta test"""""" again.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
willl buy it when its on sale for 10-20$! Can't wait for then!!

on a side note, is this coming out before the last BF4 expac? or after?

I find this hilarious
3. REVISITING THE IN-GAME HUD
We’re working on establishing a clearer visual difference from BF4 and improving the messaging of the in-game HUD, from objectives to player status information.

"Shit guys, everyone figured out it's a BF4 mod. What do we do?"
"Let's change the HUD and the gullible twits will think it's a new game!"
"Excellent idea! Let's put it in our top 10 list of changes so that everyone knows we're trying really hard"

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I find this hilarious

"Excellent idea! Let's put it in our top 10 list of changes so that everyone knows we're trying really hard"

manzo

By wet towel in the face do you mean waterboarding?

I meant having a dick up in the ass so far that it comes out of your mouth.

Also, the "gonna change the hud 'cuz it looks like BF4 lol" is hilarious.

Edit: seriously, this would pass as a 19€ PSN game, with a free upgrade from BF4 for premium users. Hardline costs 72,95€ on the Finnish PSN store. Imagine that.

I am one of the few people who's experience with BF4 on PS4 has been mostly positive (I did not purchase it at launch.)

That said I thought the Hardline beta was trash.

Ambient80

I just cannot see me buying this game on release without multiple, extensive reports that it is stable and with few bugs. Not hopping on a BF game blindly again like I did BF4.

jond76

Banned
I think they should have no hud and have all information come to you via dispatcher over the radio. It'll capture some of that "what's going on?!" Feeling.

Ferrio

Banned
You'd think EA is putting a gun to your head judging from your comments.

I don't plan on getting Hardline either but Jesus guys.

People are bitter, and probably with good reason. They released a barely playable game at full price, with tons of DLC that's splitting up the community. How much of that they've addressed, I don't know. But they've already moved onto a "new" game, that no one really asked for.

DOWN

Banned
BF4 was beta at release so what gives?
This is getting old. Not everyone had those problems. No developer catches all their bugs in house or in stress tests before release. Just because this one turned out to be cripples under stress doesn't mean they wanted to release it broken. Your comment is an obvious reason why they wouldn't have intended the troubles.

People are bitter, and probably with good reason. They released a barely playable game at full price, with tons of DLC that's splitting up the community. How much of that they've addressed, I don't know. But they've already moved onto a "new" game, that no one really asked for.

"They" as if EA is one studio.

flkraven

This is getting old. Not everyone had those problems. No developer catches all their bugs in house or in stress tests before release. Just because this one turned out to be cripples under stress doesn't mean they wanted to release it broken. Your comment is an obvious reason why they wouldn't have intended the troubles.

There is more than enough evidence that shows Battlefield 4 was far worse than your typical missed bugs on release date. People's single player saves were being whiped consistently 5 months after launch, and last I checked Dawnbreaker still crashes the system on Xbox 360.

I'm the first person defend EA when they come up in the "world's worst company" debate, but bf4 was a unique case of exuberance and distresepect for the consumer. Any other pub would have delayed the game if it was in that state.

todahawk

The common theme I've seen in the people that had limited problems were those that played small maps & more basic modes like domination and TDM. BF4 was a complete disaster as launch.

It was broken and incomplete and rushed out the door to make PS4/XB1 launch.

It took them SIX MONTHS to stabilize the game. They gutted modes like Obliteration (removed most vehicles, reduced the playable map area, etc) to make them 'playable'.

There are still major, game breaking bugs like the SP save corrupt problem. Ask around, plenty of people, myself included, still can't complete the SP campaign.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow, is this game even going to make its release date?*

*Without months of patching post-release, I guess.

Mister D

One fix they really need to work on is to make the game actually feel like cops versus robbers. The beta just felt like playing BF3 or BF4 with the soldiers dressed up in cop uniforms and civilian clothes. None of the mechanics really shout out cops versus robber. It all just feels like capturing points in BF4. There should be things like robbers having to bar the doors while cops have to cut through it while under fire from other robbers outside the bank on rooftops. Robbers being able to take hostages to use for cover that cops get penalized for killing or letting die. High speed chases on populated highways and waterways with cops pursuing by air and land vehicles and robbers trying to get to an extraction point like a helicopter or boat while being pursued.

Imagine shooting your way out of a bank with hostages in tow. Stealing a car by shooting the pedestrian driver in a random car driving on the populated streets and stuffing your hostages in then hauling ass while the enemy team chases you through the streets in cop vehicles. Your team makes it to the water where you switch to boats and are now having a shootout with cops while in a high speed boat chase with police boats and choppers until you reach the drop zone or get murdered by the cops and they rescue your hostages or they die in the firefight. Teams should also be smaller for this instead of being huge ass teams stealing a couple hundred thousand dollars. The game now just feels like a crummier BF4.

DarkFlow

Banned

"They" as if EA is one studio.
It will never get old, because that game was fucked up for months. I played it on two different rigs because I bought it between a PC upgrade. It was broke on each one. The first was a i3 2120 with a 6870 that could run it med fairly well. It would crash out a ton, hell I think in the first BF4 ot I posted a log showing 43 crashes in like 2 weeks. I started thinking maybe it was my crappy hardware, and let it be.

A few months later, around Feb I got new parts. I got a i5 4670K, new PSU, a cooler, and a GTX 780. I'm thinking, there's no way it should crash now, I have great stuff. I was wrong, it still crashed like it was a feature. So no, stop telling us its getting old, and not many people had problems because a lot did. I'm not going to forget the shitty way EA handled it, and neither should anyone else.

Edit: Found my crash log from 11-20-13. It was 38 with like 40 hours played, Almost a crash a hour.
dR4mg2W.jpg

Tookay

People have good reason to be bitter, but even justified vitriol has its limits.

Akhe

Great, but I will not buy this yet, EA. You screwed me 3 times. I'm gonna get my chair and I'll wait patiently.

Keasar

None of the changes mentions asymmetry, which I feel was one of the biggest weaknesses of the theme in the Hardline beta. You have two sides, cops and robbers, with lots of opportunities to make each side have different play styles, weaponry and so forth, but they felt way too alike, down to weaponry, equipment and vehicles.

It was just weird playing as a cop, defending a armored transport and see suddenly another cop run up next to me and fire a RPG-7. I kinda wish they would differentiate between the teams, AKs for the robbers, M416 or whatever rifles for the state funded cops and so forth.

Sure, a lot more work to balance etc. but I think they otherwise waste a really good opportunity with the theme.

HowZatOZ

Banned
By this post and the last change post, it still feels like very much an incomplete game parading as a complete game in hopes of piggybacking on Battlefield's name (albeit, that isn't the best after BF4). Why are all these changes, some very major ones, coming now? Sure conducting a beta has pointed what works and doesn't work out to the devs, but some of these are really serious, like the actual design of the game being a cops and robbers title?

I find this hilarious

Awaiting for the HUD to have police lights that flash if you are the cops or a bunch of money on it if you are the robbers.

HariKari

I think they should have no hud and have all information come to you via dispatcher over the radio. It'll capture some of that "what's going on?!" Feeling.

There are a lot of unique ideas they could run with but choose not to.

I always thought of the game as cops vs robbers, but I had a Visceral dev explain to me that it's "cops vs paramilitary" and that they can't really stray too far from the Battlefield formula. So the beta was essentially BF4 with new player models and tweaked vehicles.

I just don't see the appeal. BF4 is a better, deeper game, even with the problems.

ElfArmy177

I find this hilarious

Forums are so vile....

Fuck the haters, played the beta and I think its fun. Do people honestly think when they made BF4, they completely scrapped every single asset they have ever made for BF3 and started from complete scratch with all art and assets?? How about COD? How about assassins Creed?? Dark souls? World of warcraft?? Any sequel?

They take the same exact fucking game... and change some art, location, story.. yadda yadda..

Really guys? You want them to remake the entire game each release? Good way to put developers underwater..... Im not saying the game is going to be the best battlefield ever released, but cmon, why so negative? Atleast the guys are making an effort to communicate changes to people.

Top Bottom