• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield in VR

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Besides sickness from wearing these headsets, isn't another downside that the games looks like ten year old mobile games?

I can understand that seeing the gameplay with own eyes are pretty cool, but the graphics are far from modern standards.

I wish this was coming to PSVR, with 3 million headsets out there it really should.
Since its not a Vive or Rift exclusive its highly likely that it will, if the devs like making profit, which id assume most do

Besides sickness from wearing these headsets, isn't another downside that the games looks like ten year old mobile games?

I can understand that seeing the gameplay with own eyes are pretty cool, but the graphics are far from modern standards.

The Immersion will literally make you forget that and its supierior to a 2D screen

RE7 for example looks better on the PS4pro than it does on PSVR with its HDR/4K upscale but u cant even pay me to play the flat screen version after experiencing it in VR

Once you experience VR you'll understand why complaints like that stop mattering

Last edited:

Depends on the games. This is an indie game, so it's to be expected. Games like Lone Echo, Robo Recall, and Stormland all look like current gen titles.

Wonko_C

Not everyone gets motion sickness, that's more of a human issue than a hardware issue. Think about it this way: people get seasick all the time yet we don't blame boats for it.

As for the graphics, Nvidia made an estimation that VR requires seven times more computational power than flat gaming, that's why you see the graphics can't be as complex, especially on PS4 as that machine is starved for power as it is. VR games looking like 10 year old mobile games is quite the exaggeration, PS3 era is more accurate.

Keep in mind that when you're wearing a headset it's not like you're looking at a 3D screen glued to your eyes, you're actually looking like in real life, surrounded by the world, with objects true to the scale relative to your size. Buildings are huge, monsters are intimidating, getting near walls is as real as it gets, and you can naturally peek over them like IRL. Depth perception is also true to life so judging distances is very natural.

Yes the resolution is low (that's as good as it gets with the technology we have, so these are modern standards for VR) but that fades away once you feel like you're inside the game, even when you're playing games with cartoon graphics or another unrealistic graphic style the brain feels like you're actually there. And like consoles they will get better graphics and resolution with each generation, so getting those graphical jumps is again exciting as it was when we jumped from. N64 to Dreamcast, PS2 to Xbox 360, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom