• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield V Reveal Event Discussion Thread

MayauMiao

Battlefield V first reveal teaser gave the vibe of pandering to political correctness so not surprise to see the dislikes.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/16/battlefield-v-community-historical-accuracy/#nnn

Like most gaming forums on Reddit, the Battlefield subreddit is always abuzz with topical discussions like the historical accuracy debates currently at hand. With post after post about the same topic cluttering up the subreddit as Redditors hash it out with the same points and counterpoints, the moderators of the subreddit have now put a new rule into effect that prevents any more complaining about historical accuracy.

“We're done, it’s over. New rule: No more bitching about historical accuracy, it's a game, not a history book,” the post that announced the new rule read. “Violations will have consequences.”

ruvikx

Banned
I've seen that excuse thrown around more & more these days (especially as a justification for female soldiers fighting in Battlefield V's western front, for example), i.e. "it's a game, not a history book".

Well, firstly, it's a WW2 game, i.e. a game which aims to immerse the player in that particular epoch & war. Throw a woman in the British frontline armed forces in the 1940's & voilà, you might as well throw clowns in as well. Because it makes as much sense & is equal on the 'we don't give a shit about accuracy' level.

Secondly, in terms of video games never recreating 'realism' (another excuse used by the same defenders of historical inaccuracies), it's inherent to the platform itself, i.e. we use a controller in our hands to move characters on a TV & complete a series of challenges within the confines of events programmed into the software. It's NEVER about realism per se, but about immersion, gameplay, level design & suspension of disbelief (i.e. same as movies to a large extent vis-à-vis the latter).

Considering Dice have set their game in WW2, by including women they've trashed the immersion & suspension of disbelief entirely. Will the gameplay be fine? Maybe, but as a WW2 centric title it's a total fail. The only way women in WW2 as presented by Dice could be achieved properly would be if the title takes a parody route & aims for the Inglorious Basterds/Monty Python genre, i.e. no serious tone or message or anything remotely profound (war is brutal & bad & sad etc.) in terms of the depiction of WW2 will be acceptable in Battlefield V considering one of the key historical truths of the era (hello, women weren't in the British army fighting ze Germans with machine guns & cricket bats) has been utterly ignored.

Those who are talking about women being in the game and part of the reason they won't buy it is what I want. That way I won't be seeing them online and all the more reason for me to get it.

Terce

This is why I still play BFBC2, the ONLY customization is your loadout and even that is fairly limited. When you respawn, you're just some random character and the focus is entirely on gameplay / strategy (lol let's be serious this is an arcade fps).

I realize that customization is their only real means of monetizing the game now that they've backed away from a season pass or expansions, but character customization in non rpg games is one of the worst things the industry has come up with.

History or realism aside, I don't think its testosterone stimulating during war or even in war games when you hear women yelling with rage with high pitched voice. So i think its good as an option for those who want to play as women when they bayonet charge, but i would personally like to see bearded men with scars and muscles leading young men to Valhalla.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/16/battlefield-v-community-historical-accuracy/#nnn

Like most gaming forums on Reddit, the Battlefield subreddit is always abuzz with topical discussions like the historical accuracy debates currently at hand. With post after post about the same topic cluttering up the subreddit as Redditors hash it out with the same points and counterpoints, the moderators of the subreddit have now put a new rule into effect that prevents any more complaining about historical accuracy.

“We're done, it’s over. New rule: No more bitching about historical accuracy, it's a game, not a history book,” the post that announced the new rule read. “Violations will have consequences.”

Yea, there were a large number of bans who disagreed with the 19 year old dutch child-mod trying to silence other's valid opinions. I just unsubscribed as I have no need to see a community silence discussion for brownie points with authoritarian/far-left folk.

Especially with the continued disingenuous assertions that it is the "women" that are the issue with the game, and not at all the lack of historical authenticity, the insult to the men and women who actually fought, or the lack of cohesive character design. Nah, lets just blame it all on those Alt-Righters, GamerGaters, and misogynists.

Mochilador

PKLCjZF.jpg
Man, that art looks fricking amazing. So badass.

psn

Was lucky to get an alpha invite. Game crashes way too often, even with top notch hardware.

Also: You can't switch teams, so I had to play 5 times in a row on the british side.

A.Romero

Was lucky to get an alpha invite. Game crashes way too often, even with top notch hardware.

Also: You can't switch teams, so I had to play 5 times in a row on the british side.

Lucky!

Are you allowed to share some details? How does it play? What about the interface? Is it closer to BF1 or BF4?

psn

Lucky!

Are you allowed to share some details? How does it play? What about the interface? Is it closer to BF1 or BF4?

Plays good, more animations are in as well. When you fall from a higher surface, you go into your knees for example.

Ammo is a problem for the assault class, you got 2 spare mags and they are gone so fast.
Snipers do much less damage and there is no sweetspot with 100dmg. Assist counts as kill starts now at 60 I believe.

Graphics are good but more demanding than bf1 imo. Also, you cant turn off AA.

manfestival

Plays good, more animations are in as well. When you fall from a higher surface, you go into your knees for example.

Ammo is a problem for the assault class, you got 2 spare mags and they are gone so fast.
Snipers do much less damage and there is no sweetspot with 100dmg. Assist counts as kill starts now at 60 I believe.

Been watching a few streams of this. Assists counting as kills is something that was in the previous Battlefield FYI. Just hopped off BF1 a moment ago cause the streams made me want some battlefield fun. Can't turn AA off? That is odd...

Did they remove swastikas from the German army?

psn

But we get mechanical claw arms, so fair trade.

What we also get:
Random crashes
Not being able to choose a squad
No voicechat
Not being able to choose the team
Did I mention random crashes? Because they happen all the time
No Autoteambalance - when your teammates leave, you have hope that somehow 10 players connect to your server or you are going to play 16 vs 32 like I just did.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
What we also get:
Random crashes
Not being able to choose a squad
No voicechat
Not being able to choose the team
Did I mention random crashes? Because they happen all the time
No Autoteambalance - when your teammates leave, you have hope that somehow 10 players connect to your server or you are going to play 16 vs 32 like I just did.
It's in alpha...

llien

With Battlefield V's Closed Alpha already in progress, EA has revealed the official system requirements for PC users. The company emphasized that the specifications only apply to the Closed Alpha and may vary in the final game. The minimum system requirements are more or less in line with the preliminary requirements we reported last month. According to the Battlefield V website, the minimum system requirements include a Core i5-6600K or AMD FX-8350 processor, 8 GB of memory along with a GeForce GTX 1050 / GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards. The recommended system requirements bump the processor up to a Core i7-4790 or Ryzen 3 1300X processor along with 12 GB or 16 GB of memory. In terms of graphics power, EA recommends a GeForce GTX 1060 or a Radeon RX 480. As expected, the game requires 50 GB of storage space and a 512 KBPS or faster connection to the internet.

Minimum requirements:
  • Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
  • Processor (AMD): AMD FX-8350
  • Processor (Intel): Core i5-6600K
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 / GTX 660 2 GB
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
  • DirectX version: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Internet: 512 KBPS or faster, stable Internet connection
  • Free hard-drive space: 50 GB

Recommended specifications:
  • Operating System: 64-bit Windows 10
  • Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM / 12 GB RAM
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon RX 480 4 GB
  • DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Internet: 512 KBPS or faster, stable Internet connection
  • Free hard drive space: 50 GB

This is why I still play BFBC2, the ONLY customization is your loadout and even that is fairly limited. When you respawn, you're just some random character and the focus is entirely on gameplay / strategy (lol let's be serious this is an arcade fps).

I realize that customization is their only real means of monetizing the game now that they've backed away from a season pass or expansions, but character customization in non rpg games is one of the worst things the industry has come up with.
It dosen't effect gameplay so I don't see what your problem is. Also there will be loadout customization too.

Terce

It dosen't effect gameplay so I don't see what your problem is. Also there will be loadout customization too.
Instead of unlocking a gun or attachment, you now also have skins in the mix adding padding and reducing the chance of you getting something you want.

The issue is the same as with any lootbox, instead of simply being able to quickly obtain what I want ant use that, I now have to throw my hands up and simply hope that it drops instead of another 6 skins that I don't care about and will never use. I don't see how anyone can think that's a better system

cryptoadam

Banned
I am still excited for this game. Doesn't matter what comes out or what people say BF's always deliver for me. Nothing matches its scale and versatility. And with all the rage being Battle Royal games there isn't anything thats trying to challange BF's all out war.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.battlefield.com/news/battlefield-5-rotterdam-trailer-breakdown

These shots, and similar ones that appear throughout the trailer, are a quick display of the arsenal of customized vehicles and aircraft you can collect as part of The Company. Seen from the cockpit of an advancing tank or from the planes diving through fiery plumes of smoke, players can upgrade these vehicles and aircraft to fit their playstyle. Choose between greater firepower or improved durability. Coming after launch for vehicles is visual customization, too.

Top Bottom