• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouriozan

This thread needs more gifs!
Need more Jeanne gif.

jeanneyaaassssfrk1u.gif

I can't speak for all females, but I think there's also the fact that because "this is not the right thread for it".

Sure, some of us have no problem talking about sexuality represented in the game if the topic comes up, but to spend a post on an in depth opinion about it in a thread about the reviews is probably pushing things far out of "justified reasons to discuss it and still claim it's related to the topic". Particularly when it'd definitely cause a shit storm.

Well, again, what else is there to discuss in this topic? How much everyone is happy with the non-dissenting reviews? I guess, that just doesn't seem interesting to me personally.

The one controversial review sparked this discussion, so it seems on topic to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yes, you are corect to an extent however I am responding to the idea that a discussion can be killed dead because my opinion is worthless because I had the audacity to be born male.
No-one is saying that! No one here has said that and I would love for you to find me examples of someone saying that. And no, if someone calls you priviledged they're not calling your opinion worthless because of your maleness. If someone says that your position is ignorant they're not calling your opinion worthless because of your maleness

Linkark07

Banned
Damn, so many 10s.

Never expected it, yet I'm so glad seeing that Metacritic score. Hopefully Bayonetta 2 get some good sales numbers.

Riki

It makes me sad to see so many people that doubted this game would score well.
Forgive them, Bayonetta. They know not what they do.

Bold One

Yeah I also agree that there does seem to be a bit of a disconnect between the character and the way the scenes/camera portrays her in some cases. I think Bayonetta is a very good female character, she's strong, sexy and boy is she confident. That's great, I'd love to see more female characters like that. What isn't so great is when you then have scenes with bullets stripping her of all her clothes and then suggestive camera angles to go along with it happening. Not to mention the camera angles when fights are going on anyway.

It's what always put me off playing the first game. I tried the demo way back when, and while the combat seemed interesting enough. I just didn't think I'd be able to stomach the cutscenes. I'm willing to go back and try it, though maybe not now due to my first edition pre-order being cancelled but it's still disappointing that there is such a disconnect.

I too came across this hurdle, I really enjoyed the combat but the disconnect is real

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Well, again, what else is there to discuss in this topic? How much everyone is happy with the non-dissenting reviews? I guess, that just doesn't seem interesting to me personally.

The one controversial review sparked this discussion, so it seems on topic to me.

I wouldn't even call most of that a real discussion. People just popping in to say "good on this game for getting such fantastic scores" isn't really a discussion. So I do agree that it's not exactly interesting to see that happen here.

Do we not have a Bayonetta community thread?

UrbanRats

No. But in the video game medium sexiness and sexual display has been targeted squarely at male sensibilities for decades now
Young males, i would add.
Yeah, i agree with that, i still don't see your point of contention with the game.
The industry has a problem with the subject of female characters, as well as a problem with sexuality, it doesn't mean those problems apply to every single game with those elements, regardless of context.

Bayonetta seems to use sexuality in a very tongue in cheek and sarcastic manner, it's not trying to make the audience horny, from i saw of the two games, but neither does it shy away from sexual cues and tropes.
Bayonetta herself, has quite a grotesque and unappealing anatomy at first glance, less concerned with appearing "hot", and more with recalling the ideal of runway, high fashion models (an ideal that most men would *not* hold as the incarnation of sexyness at all) an ideal of feminine grace brought to the extreme.
The sexual camera angles and movements in the game seem to be much more of a parodistic and ironic nature, than a desperate one, trying to get little Jimmy horny.

I don't think Bayonetta is sexy, i think she plays with the "idea" of sex, having fun with it in a very self aware and jovial way.

As opposed to something like the sexual elements in God of War, that go straight for the lowest common denominator of "make the male player horny".

I find some of the analysis of sexuality in the industry done in a very shallow and binary manner, unfortunately.
Adhering more to a list of red flags, rather than considering the artistic merit of the product as a whole, and going from there.

Again, which is not to say there isn't a larger problem, there clearly is, and i think that's the reason sometimes, one can miss the forest for the tree (or viceversa, in this case).

So I just now finally got a chance to sit down with the demo... My god, so good. Even though I got a much better score with traditional controls, I think I actually PREFER playing it with touch controls which is something I would have NEVER guessed (I tried it to see if maybe it'd be a way I could get my wife into it). Probably because using touch controls frees me up to more easily enjoy what all is happening visually. There is so much going on it can be difficult to process it all while focusing on the right buttons at the right time, having essentially to only press 1 button via taps but still able to pull off all of the combos/etc is amazing. It's a brilliant design and I hope that more action games will at least consider it.

I wouldn't even call most of that a real discussion. People just popping in to say "good on this game for getting such fantastic scores" isn't really a discussion. So I do agree that it's not exactly interesting to see that happen here.

Do we not have a Bayonetta community thread?

We do but I think it's more relevant to talk about this here because there seem to be so many people on the fence because of the sexualization of this game. I doubt those people would read the community thread for Bayo 1, especially as the game wasn't available for the Nintendo audience.

ChuckNyce

Sorry if already posted but has there been any footage released of the Wii U version of Bayo 1? I only got through a few hours of the PS3 version around the time it originally released. I booted it back up last night to just play through the opening and man, it really runs like poop. I wanted to jump straight into Bayo 2 but I think I'll be going through the original first.

Keasar

I didn't need these reviews to tell me this was gonna be excellent, I knew from the moment I saw the announcement trailer years ago.

Still.

This is some gud icing on the giant cake.

VinFTW

Ugh, can't wait till winter to play this!

Will play the first before 2nd though, never played 'em.

As a huge Ninja Gaiden fan, I'm SO excited.

Makes me all the more excited for Scalebound.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
^I think you missed that I view Bayonetta positively. I just yhink the camera movements undermine the otherwise very well done character

I actually viewed those camera movements to sort of add to the affect of her personality. Bayonetta is sexual yes, and comfortable with it. However, she's also abrasive and crude as well. She's doing it to be mocking and she's using her sexual appeal to be in your face about it. What's more, she doesn't care what anyone thinks so she doesn't care if her sexuality is uncomfortable to someone else, she does it because she can.

So for me, the overdose of those crotch shots were really to reflect that part of her personality. I have no idea if that was the intent by the game company but that was my take on it.

Sorry if already posted but has there been any footage released of the Wii U version of Bayo 1? I only got through a few hours of the PS3 version around the time it originally released. I booted it back up last night to just play through the opening and man, it really runs like poop. I wanted to jump straight into Bayo 2 but I think I'll be going through the original first.

There's footage out there somewhere.

The game seems to run well like the 360 version but with no tearing so the Wii U version of the first game seems the best of the three.

Kiru

Digital Foundry Bayonetta Face-Off (Wii U vs 360 vs PS3)

Riki

There's tons of footage and even a Digital Foundry comparison to the other versions.
It's the definitive version plus has amazing Nintendo costumes that change the gameplay.

does anyone else feel that gamespots "The sad realization that future action games may never top this" is ridiculous hyperbole along the lines of "My only problem with gears of war 2 is that its almost too good"

Still, damn excited to play this game and theres that tingly feeling you get when a developer you respect is getting the respect you feel they deserve

andymcc

Banned
^I think you missed that I view Bayonetta positively. I just yhink the camera movements undermine the otherwise very well done character

Same.

But I do take issue with the framing of Polygon's scoring of the game simply because it isn't really that consistent with games that do much more damaging things in the way of misogyny. I think it is a legitimate complaint, but when the same website (different reviewer admittedly) scores GTAV with it's misogynistic language, use of sexual violence (sometimes not even just implied) and lack of female characters that aren't just props to enable the male power fantasies that further the narratives, I find it to be a little suspect.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Getting 10/10 from both Edge and Gamespot it's one of the biggest achievements for a game. Combine this with the demo and the impressions that demo left on almost everyone that played it and you have material for a game that appears once in a generation. Hyperbole and all, but I feel lucky that I get to play this in 11 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom