• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Getting 10/10 from both Edge and Gamespot it's one of the biggest achievements for a game. Combine this with the demo and the impressions that demo left on almost everyone that played it and you have material for a game that appears once in a generation. Hyperbole and all, but I feel lucky that I get to play this in 11 days.
Yeah. Its a good thing Nintendo didn't buy Platinum before the game came out, an 8 from GameSpot would really have dragged it down

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Polygon - 7.5

Color me shocked *eye roll* . I think Polygon is coming off of my daily website check listing. Recently, it's become very clear that we have differing tastes when it comes to video games.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
We do but I think it's more relevant to talk about this here because there seem to be so many people on the fence because of the sexualization of this game. I doubt those people would read the community thread for Bayo 1, especially as the game wasn't available for the Nintendo audience.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm not sure how many of the other females here are willing to come out and speak about how they felt about it. I've probably said enough for my part, and at least two others have already made simple statements on what they thought about Bayonetta. Unless some of the other participates out themselves as female or more join in the conversation, we won't get much opinions of the "other gender" to compare.

KniL

1XFvGmM.jpg

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/521656246496014336

HAHA

Avallon

Polygon - 7.5

Color me shocked *eye roll* . I think Polygon is coming off of my daily website check listing. Recently, it's become very clear that we have differing tastes when it comes to video games.

Polygon and Kotaku aren't even on my Twitter feed.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm not sure how many of the other females here are willing to come out and speak about how they felt about it. I've probably said enough for my part, and at least two others have already made simple statements on what they thought about Bayonetta. Unless some of the other participates out themselves as female or more join in the conversation, we won't get much opinions of the "other gender" to compare.

Well, a female gamer friend of mine totally agrees with the Ria Jenkins article in the Guardian I linked to earlier for what it's worth. That and the Leigh Alexander essay. It seems quite a few females embrace the whole female empowerment angle.

Ricky_R

Platinum has another hit on their hands. Hopefully the game sells enough to recoup.

Btw, is the metacritic score in realtime? ;)

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Well, a female gamer friend of mine totally agrees with the Ria Jenkins article in the Guardian I linked to earlier for what it's worth. That and the Leigh Alexander essay. It seems quite a few females embrace the whole female empowerment angle.

Oh, which article is this? The B.I.T.C.H stood out to me but I admittedly have not been here for the entirety of the sexuality debate.

Zafir

Well, I already stated my opinion. I think you'll find a few females have posted their thoughts, they just don't state their gender like I don't bother.

Yeah I mean, this probably sounds a lot like "I have a black friend" type of arguments, but every female friend I've introduced to this game has completely fallen in love with it and didn't find the game sexually demeaning whatsoever.

tassletine

The thing that's wrong with Polyogon's review is that they are not reviewing the game for what it is, but instead knocking down the score to try and make a point and influence the industry. This is terrible criticism that says more about the reviewer than the game. Criticism at it's best should be as objective as possible. It's fair to raise those points but not to mark the game down because of it. This is just a journalist trying to make a name for themselves.

The criticism also ignores the fact that Bayonetta is a very powerful character who uses sex as a weapon, that the entire game is hyperstylised/tongue in cheek and supposed to be laughed at, and clearly not masturbated over. A lot of modern feminism has more to do with po-faced puritanical attitudes than the empowerment of women. Most of the world sees nothing wrong with sexuality, and it is usually only Americans critics that have this attitude.

I'm reminded of the joke:

How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?

That's not funny.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah I mean, this probably sounds a lot like "I have a black friend" type of arguments, but every female friend I've introduced to this game has completely fallen in love with it and didn't find the game sexually demeaning whatsoever.

Its not really hard to see why. Character bearing and attitude will go miles towards establishing the context necessary for a hyper-sexualized design to come off as more then pandering. Its just goddamn difficult for a lot of developers apparently. Or rather...I suspect that the overlap between people who unironically enjoy sexualized female characters from an indulgence standpoint and the people who enjoy Bayonetta as a positive sexy figure is fairly narrow (and yes, if you're posting on this board and fall into both camps you're probably in that narrow band)

ChuckNyce

There's tons of footage and even a Digital Foundry comparison to the other versions.
It's the definitive version plus has amazing Nintendo costumes that change the gameplay.

Sweet didn't realize the you could change costumes in the Bayo 1 wii u version. Thought it was only for the sequel. Will definitely be playing through the first now before I move to the 2nd.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Well, I already stated my opinion. I think you'll find a few females have posted their thoughts, they just don't state their gender like I don't bother.

I had a feeling some of those opinions were done by females but they didn't mention their gender because it wasn't relevant.

But yeah, considering at least two members here were interested in a female perspective, that anonymity thing won't help them much. (but any female not outing themself or joining in now is well within their right not to do so)

BearPawB

Banned
I just dont know why one review sends everyone into a tizzy.

Don't agree with it? Cool...there are 100 other reviews.

Not every review is going to be your own view of "right"

TheMoon

You know even if Bayonetta 2 underperforms, I still think we will get a third game. A Bayonetta 3 would be an excellent launch title for Nintendos next hardware, be it handheld or console.

QOL launch title. "Become Bayonetta, improve your Quality of Life (especially your hair!)."

Rival

Gold Member
Ok I expected a good game but this is surprising. I did not expect a goty contender or it to be the definitive wii u game. I'm excited!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Give me a break Polygon. Heaven forbid we have a sexy female lead character that exudes confidence.

I don't want a Bayonetta that isn't flirtaciously waving her half naked bits around while gracefully pounding enemies into the dirt.

Einbroch

Banned
Give me a break Polygon. Heaven forbid we have a sexy female lead character that exudes confidence.

I don't want a Bayonetta that isn't flirtaciously waving her half naked bits around while gracefully pounding enemies into the dirt.

If he honestly, seriously feels that way, I have no issue with what he said. It's an opinion. If he's just trying to drum up controversy and get hits, then yes, give me a break indeed.

Normally I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's Polygon, so I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom