• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

I didn't play the first but will get this one to support Nintendos efforts. As an action game fan, am I likely to be in for a treat?

I didn't play the first but will get this one to support Nintendos efforts. As an action game fan, am I likely to be in for a treat?

If you are into DMC style action games, then yes. Hopefully you don't care for dialog and whatnot, because it is horrid. The style, music, zaniness, and gameplay(of course), are all top tier.

Anustart

If you are into DMC style action games, then yes. Hopefully you don't care for dialog and whatnot, because it is horrid. The style, music, zaniness, and gameplay(of course), are all top tier.

Yes, I played dmc 2 & 3 and enjoyed both, obviously I liked 3 a lot more, though I never did compete dmd difficulty, though I did get quite far!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bayonetta is to 3D fighting mechanics/design as Galaxy 2 is to 3D platforming design.

The Dialogue isn't horrible... it's meant to be hilarious. Isn't supposed to be taken seriously most of the time either.

I think you're taking the dialogue too seriously.

No, I'm taking it for what it is set out to be. Yes, its zany, and insane, and all these other adjectives....but it's also bad. Bad at what it does, and bad at entertaining me. You could delete them from the game and the game itself would get better. That means they either need to become better, or become nonexistent. I only take games for what they set to be and represent themselves to be, and I did the same with this one, so I judged it as such.

The dialog wasn't funny or good, it was just crazy, bad and got in the way, just like the QTE spots in the game.

Yes i agree totally, although i really, really hope the game is fully enjoyable with the PRO controller. Hopefully B2 will be 60 fps all the time.

Yeah, I do want them to stick to their guns with this one. It's what people are asking for, and I think it's a nice approach for them at this point with it. I just want a few non intrusive features that are cool, yet not a part of the man game and can me disregarded entirely. Bonus features with lots of style, if you will.

Sadist

Interview with Inaba

'Bayonetta 2' would not exist without Nintendo, says Platinum Games

"Would Bayonetta 2 not exist without Nintendo? The answer is yes," says Atsushi Inaba, executive director at Platinum Games. He tells Polygon that Nintendo, the sequel's publisher, was a key partner in getting the game made.

"We are not viewing this as a change of platform," Inaba told Polygon in an interview at Tokyo Game Show. "We were looking for a partner to create Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo was a strong, cooperative partner that was willing to create and grow Bayonetta 2 together [with us]. As a result the platform became the Wii U."

In the wake of Bayonetta 2's announcement as an exclusive for the Wii U, some fans vocalized their displeasure, hoping that the sequel would be released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 like the original Bayonetta. Developers at Platinum Games said in a series of statements this week that it does not want to alienate its fans.

Sega was responsible for publishing the original Bayonetta, but the company has since scaled back on the number of titles it publishes. Platinum Games and Sega's most recent collaboration, Anarchy Reigns, has not been published outside of Japan, a source of frustration for Inaba. He says he still doesn't know when Anarchy Reigns will be released overseas, as Sega has not offered him an update.

Regardless of the change of platform from PS3 and Xbox 360 to Wii U, Inaba says it won't impact Bayonetta 2's core gameplay.

"We create the basic framework of our games on the PC, so even though the hardware changes it doesn't influence the creation of our games. We've already developed our own engine to work with multiple platforms.

"Because of the Wii U GamePad, we are putting extra thought into how to use these differentiating features," Inaba said. "There's a difference in the game design side, but we are enjoying the challenges of creating games for new hardware."

Nintendo and Platinum Games haven't revealed much about Bayonetta 2, releasing only a short teaser trailer. The trailer echoes the teaser of the original Bayonetta with a few key differences: a crescent moon replaces the full moon, red tones are replaced by blues, and Bayonetta's enemy now rebuffs her attacks, implying a more formidable foe. Inaba explains why the developer chose to release a nearly identical trailer for the sequel.

"Toward the end of development of Bayonetta, I was talking with Kamiya-san and Hashimoto-san, and they said 'If Bayonetta 2 ever happens, we want the teaser trailer to be the same as [the first] Bayonetta,'" he said. "We wanted to make it the same because Bayonetta is a title that has been loved by many people and we wanted fans to say 'Oh! Bayonetta's back again!'"

Inaba wouldn't offer details on what's coming in the sequel, instead asking fans to speculate about what they've shown so far.

"All of the new things you see in the trailer, we can't talk about at all at this point. We're leaving it up to your imagination."

So a shitty dlc of the perfection that is the prequel?

6FLxQ.gif

The Verge and sites like it have a lot of bollocks but increasingly games journalism is looking like a complete fucking joke - you'd think it would have matured by now.

Verge asking the right question and I bet that article gets more hits than all the other stupid shit. Why? Because people like to learn answers to the questions they themselves have wondered.

So Bayonetta 2 might go multi-plat? He doesn't want to alienate his fans but how's a game published by nintendo gonna get released on 360/ps3?

Your an idiot.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I kinda hope with that other thread up all the questionable posts would go there instead.

The Verge and sites like it have a lot of bollocks but increasingly games journalism is looking like a complete fucking joke - you'd think it would have matured by now.

Verge asking the right question and I bet that article gets more hits than all the other stupid shit. Why? Because people like to learn answers to the questions they themselves have wondered.

Well, gamers.

Hopefully they port Bayonetta 1 to Wii U or make it a pack in with B2.

That game and a hand full of RPGs is really the main reason I want to get a 360 at some point.

Forever

Banned
Hopefully they port Bayonetta 1 to Wii U or make it a pack in with B2.

That game and a hand full of RPGs is really the main reason I want to get a 360 at some point.

Kamiya got asked about that on Twitter and gave coy responses, I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen.

Llyranor

For those of you who haven't played Bayonetta but might be interested in this:

Imagine a simple action game which has combos (like DMC, or GoW, or NG - whichever). Let's take a simple combo like punch --> kick --> punch.

In some games, you have to press PKP in quick succession to deliver the combo. Let's bring this up a notch, and allow the player to hold down a button to delay the combo delivery. So, punch --> kick --> hoooooold --> punch. This flexibility in timing is nice, allows you to not jump right into the enemy attack or something, or to time your combo to hit just before the enemy's own attack. Nice, but simple.

Now, let's attach some weapons to your arms and legs. Let's say, automatic pistols. So you can punch and kick, but whenever you hold one a P or a K, your pistols will keep shooting at the enemy. This allows you to continuously stay on the offensive even when you're stalling an attack/combo.

Don't you hate it when some games don't allow you to cancel attacks? Say, if you commit to a combo, you can't back out of it, even if you realize you screwed up and are going to get hit. Let's add a simple design element - you can dodge/cancel any attack, whenever. Cool, huh? So, you can PKP, or PKhooooooldP, or PKdodge --> combo cancelled.

Okay, let's add in the master design element. Let's say you can resume your combo after dodging. PKhooooooldDODGE-->P = finish combo. So not only do you hold control of the timing of the control, not only do you continue maintaining an offensive (via rain of bullets while holding or dodging) throughout, not only can you dodge during a combo, but you can resume your combo right where you left it off. I just blew your minds.

Oh wait, there's one last crucial element I forgot to mention. You can bypass steps in the combo by timing an attack at the same time as a dodge. So, if you dodge RIGHT as you're punching or kicking, they get added up to the combo, without needing to punch or kick. So, dodge(P) --> dodge(K) --> unleash final P move from the combo = giant magic fist, without actually having gone through the early steps of the combo.

Imagine the implications during combat. You're fighting a big baddie. He strikes at you, you dodge. You dodge through the second phase of his attack as well. You've now landed behind him, get in 2 punches. By then, a smaller enemy has approached and jumps at you, you dodge that as well, and unleash the finisher move of a 6-move combo at both of the enemies at the same time. You might have pulled off a complex PPPPKK combo dynamically in the middle of a fight. With a reactive enemy, a 6-move combo can be very hard to pull off. If you're pulling it off while dodging and skipping steps (eg. while you're fighting), it becomes a reality.

That is the essence of Bayonetta's genius. It is, of course, barely scratching the surface.

boo

Gold Member
This idea that I read about in this thread: To not buy a game console for one game.

I tend to purchase a game console when there is a game that I just have to play. Often that is a launch game (Super Mario 64). Sometimes I have to wait a bit before such a game is available (The Wind Waker). I even bought my first PC (a mighty 486SX, 4MB RAM, 20MB harddisk, envy me you fools), so that I could play the shareware-version of Doom.

So I don`t quite get the logic behind not wanting to buy a game console for just one game. I thought that was how most people bought a game console. Wait until there is a game that you just have to play, buy the game console (or PC…) for that game. And then check out what other games that look interesting.

With the great number of games being released across any major new system from Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony, I believe that a gamer will be able to find more games on any of these platforms than he will have the capacity to play.

As for Wii U, in addition to Bayonetta 2, there are already The Wonderful 101, Zombie U, Rayman Legends, Dragon Quest X, plus a bunch of other games, both exclusive and multi-platform coming out from November onwards. Some of the multi-platform games such as Aliens: Colonial Marines may even have the best console-version on Wii U.

By the time Bayonetta 2 is ready, there should be a nice smorgasboard of Wii U games available. And if you really loved Bayonetta, then Bayonetta 2 will be a top sirloin steak dinner. Mmmmm...

If that`s not good enough for you, than you don`t deserve to play Bayonetta 2.

Edit: Based on Llyranor`s description of Bayonetta, I think that Bayonetta 2 will destroy me. My body is ready.

Margalis

Banned
If I replay Bayo 1 any tips on finding all the weapons, challenge level gate thingies, etc?

When I played through before I barely found anything.

If I replay Bayo 1 any tips on finding all the weapons, challenge level gate thingies, etc?

When I played through before I barely found anything.
Backtrack at every opportunity to find gates. They often appear earlier in the level. The weapons are all earned by doing things unless you want to cheat at a phone.

For those of you who haven't played Bayonetta but might be interested in this:

Imagine a simple action game which has combos (like DMC, or GoW, or NG - whichever). Let's take a simple combo like punch --> kick --> punch.

In some games, you have to press PKP in quick succession to deliver the combo. Let's bring this up a notch, and allow the player to hold down a button to delay the combo delivery. So, punch --> kick --> hoooooold --> punch. This flexibility in timing is nice, allows you to not jump right into the enemy attack or something, or to time your combo to hit just before the enemy's own attack. Nice, but simple.

Now, let's attach some weapons to your arms and legs. Let's say, automatic pistols. So you can punch and kick, but whenever you hold one a P or a K, your pistols will keep shooting at the enemy. This allows you to continuously stay on the offensive even when you're stalling an attack/combo.

Don't you hate it when some games don't allow you to cancel attacks? Say, if you commit to a combo, you can't back out of it, even if you realize you screwed up and are going to get hit. Let's add a simple design element - you can dodge/cancel any attack, whenever. Cool, huh? So, you can PKP, or PKhooooooldP, or PKdodge --> combo cancelled.

Okay, let's add in the master design element. Let's say you can resume your combo after dodging. PKhooooooldDODGE-->P = finish combo. So not only do you hold control of the timing of the control, not only do you continue maintaining an offensive (via rain of bullets while holding or dodging) throughout, not only can you dodge during a combo, but you can resume your combo right where you left it off. I just blew your minds.

Oh wait, there's one last crucial element I forgot to mention. You can bypass steps in the combo by timing an attack at the same time as a dodge. So, if you dodge RIGHT as you're punching or kicking, they get added up to the combo, without needing to punch or kick. So, dodge(P) --> dodge(K) --> unleash final P move from the combo = giant magic fist, without actually having gone through the early steps of the combo.

Imagine the implications during combat. You're fighting a big baddie. He strikes at you, you dodge. You dodge through the second phase of his attack as well. You've now landed behind him, get in 2 punches. By then, a smaller enemy has approached and jumps at you, you dodge that as well, and unleash the finisher move of a 6-move combo at both of the enemies at the same time. You might have pulled off a complex PPPPKK combo dynamically in the middle of a fight. With a reactive enemy, a 6-move combo can be very hard to pull off. If you're pulling it off while dodging and skipping steps (eg. while you're fighting), it becomes a reality.

That is the essence of Bayonetta's genius. It is, of course, barely scratching the surface.
Yup, the combat mechanics are flawless. I've owned the game since launch day and there are still a ton of weapon/combo possibilities I haven't explored and that's not even mentioning the incredible amount to unlock on replays.

I really like that the game gives you all the skills that you'll need to have fun finishing the game from the outset. All of the unlock skills you buy in the game are pretty much just extra flash to add to your combos unlike the DMC games where vital skills like double-jump and stinger have to be bought. The same goes for weapons too, you unlock a new weapon and that's it, all the weapon abilities and combos are available from the start.

That said there's still a lot of improvements the Bayo2 team can make to the core game design. The insta-death QTEs need to go first and foremost and please no more vehicle based levels.

Foffy

Banned
More shite from Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/5945549/bayonetta...hange-from-its-creators-certain-point-of-view

They state the truth that we've all known then go on to take a dig at Platinum.
Please make sense of the following sentence Gaf:

It means nothing to me.
It pisses me off that Kotaku do get some good interviews, yet the rest of the site is such a fucking mess.

He's bitter, like many, about it being on Wii U. I hope he can at least enjoy games on the platform, as many people complain no matter what Nintendo does to create interest in the platform.

geebee

Banned
I'm seriously wondering why Shitaku is still allowed to be linked to. The site has been fucking awful even years before Crecente left.

This element right here is usually something I simply do not like in an action game, generally speaking. The fact that there is a huge consequence taken away and a real need to think about my moves just makes games feel very weightless...and lifeless to me. That said, it actually feels very good in Bayonetta simply because it seemed to be designed around it's mechanics meticulously. Obsessively even. Just an awesome action engine that is pretty much the perfected essence of the DMC style.

One thing it actually reminded me of was Viewtiful Joe. In that game, you could cancel his punches with kicks and vice versa, but he would retract his strike as the other began. You could then cancel that attack with the opposite. Basically, if you mashed punch/kick in rapid fire succession, he would just shuffle and not through out at attack since you would give his striking limp a chance to actually reach out lol

It made the game feel so good and meaty, but was only really applicable in slow motion at certain times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom