• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got past the intro section in the grave yard on ps3. I literally started playing, saw how it ran, and stopped in a matter about about 45 seconds. Went on to play it on a friend's 360. I've heard it's better after the intro section, but I couldn't tell you.

It's definitely not unplayable, but it definitely does suck compared to the 360 version. If you only have a PS3, you should still get the game.

The first playable section of the game runs shockingly bad, and in fact it does border on unplayable, but the PS3 version only drops to that level around three times.

Alright, thanks you guys. I'll definitely give it a try on the PS3 then and see if the near unplayable parts bother me too much.

totowhoa

Banned
Come on, Wii U port of the original...

Make. It. Happen!

haha, that won't happen :p I would argue that being on PS360 makes it "widely available" enough for a game that sold rather poorly. I mean, it would probably take almost zero effort to play through and beat the game. If you don't already own one of those systems, you know someone who does.. and the game isn't rare or something.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So, I have a question about Bayonetta, specifically the PS3 version, and this seems like the best current thread to do that.

I've seen it get bashed on here a lot for being an inferior version/port, but is it utterly unplayable? It seems really interesting, and I plan on getting a Wii U, so it'd be cool to play the first game before the sequel comes out. I only have a PS3 though, so is it worth it to pick up Bayonetta on that? Or are whatever issues it has too harmful to the gameplay experience for the purchase to be worth it?

Yeah it's worth it. I'm playing it on PS3 right now.

Game chugs up during busier acts(multiple fire enemies. Under water sections) and some of the more strict timings(mahaa kalaa counter hits) are harder because of the visual drawbacks

but for the purpose of just a normal playthrough it's more than serviceable

This still excites me to no end. Bayonetta + Bathroom = dat profit

EKTte.jpg

Honestly, I feel like Bayonetta has taken the DMC formula as far as it could go. Not only that, but they made the changes work brilliantly. Sure something could always From here, I don't know what they could really do that will warrant an entire sequel if they keep the same format. Not that it wouldn't be worth it, but you get what I'm saying.

What could be done to revolutionize the style and make it so that even then untrained eye can look and say, "Things have changed."?

Adding skill elements to torture attacks is my immediate thought..make the animation itself automatic, but the criteria for achieving one, and the window to do so more based on skill than mashing buttons.

Much more variations between the weapons. Bayo cheats a lot by giving some of its weapons the same animations. More sai fung, Durga and the whip and less pillow talk and shotguns.

Balance the AI around dodge offset. I feel that sometimes the enemies were way too free to it. Make so you HAVE to use dodge offset to beat certain enemies.

way more accessories, with each having a drawback as well as a advantage.

Incorporate element of DMCs trickesr style. Maybe a accessory that if you push forward before before you hit, you teleport above your enemy?

Ability to fuse angel weapons together just like you do to make lollipops.

I could go on....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If thats really how the combo system works then the first game must be amazingly good, at least in parts. I couldnt care less about half naked bitches, i couldnt care less about guns, and i couldnt care less about kicking really high but if the gameplay is control based to that degree and is expressive then i will give it credit.

Those 'guns' and 'kicking really high' are part of the control and gameplay system. Like I said, I liken Bayonetta to 3D fighting systems as I do Galaxy 2 to 3D platforming. With a few exceptions of "it's just not for me" and general preference of an assortment of production element, as soon as somebody dismisses Bayonetta as a game not worth playing, I know they've either never played it, or have no idea what constitutes as a good brawler, and in both cases are full of shit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's kinda hard to imagine playing Bayonetta in a bathroom - I mean you can't focus on your bowel movements!

AniHawk

Those 'guns' and 'kicking really high' are part of the control and gameplay system. Like I said, I liken Bayonetta to 3D fighting systems as I do Galaxy 2 to 3D platforming.

have i told you lately that i love you?

god, i fucking love bayonetta's control-based fighting system thing. i fucking suck at action games, but bayonetta has me feel like i'm in absolute control over everything i do. it's a fighting system that's actually rewarding in itself. while there are qtes and such, they're more or less an extra reward on top of a job well done of murderizing baddies using your own method. there are so many combos and types of attacks you can unleash on bad guys. it's astonishing.

what i like about it is that it feels like a video game. for example - bayonetta : god of war :: vanquish : uncharted 2

G17

What's great about Bayonetta is that it's a totally different game in all three of the playthroughs you do of the game (difficulty increases). A lot of weapons are only unlocked in the 2nd/3rd playthrough and are total gamechangers in how you play the game. As soon as you finish Bayonetta it immediately puts you in a new game+ to urge you to keep playing until you've finished all the difficulties.

Even after you've done your playthroughs there are the alfheim challenges which just blow your mind by showing you ways you can play the game you never knew of before. (whip+stingrays anyone?) Finally after your 3 playthroughs+Alfheim Challenges you can finish all the levels on pure platinum for a cool surprise, or collect 10,000,000 halos for another surprise.

Not only is it a fantastic action game, it's replayable to almost no end.

Curufinwe

The main problem I had with Bayonetta was how hard it was to find some of the Alfheim Chellenges. A lot of people would have finished the game on Normal without playing half of them, and they were all worth playing.

What's great about Bayonetta is that it's a totally different game in all three of the playthroughs you do of the game (difficulty increases). A lot of weapons are only unlocked in the 2nd/3rd playthrough and are total gamechangers in how you play the game. As soon as you finish Bayonetta it immediately puts you in a new game+ to urge you to keep playing until you've finished all the difficulties.

Even after you've done your playthroughs there are the alfheim challenges which just blow your mind by showing you ways you can play the game you never knew of before. (whip+stingrays anyone?) Finally after your 3 playthroughs+Alfheim Challenges you can finish all the levels on pure platinum for a cool surprise, or collect 10,000,000 halos for another surprise.

Not only is it a fantastic action game, it's replayable to almost no end.

Well I hope that the sequel will be able to live up the hype. It sounds like many consider the first game to be nearly perfect, so it's going to be a hard act to follow.

Well I hope that the sequel will be able to live up the hype. It sounds like many consider the first game to be nearly perfect, so it's going to be a hard act to follow.
After the fantastic quality of the first game and the controversy surrounding this announcement I'm not sure if I can think of another game that's going to be under as much pressure to deliver as Bayo2.

HL3 maybe? I just hope that Platinum can deal with this.

Anteo

Those 'guns' and 'kicking really high' are part of the control and gameplay system. Like I said, I liken Bayonetta to 3D fighting systems as I do Galaxy 2 to 3D platforming. With a few exceptions of "it's just not for me" and general preference of an assortment of production element, as soon as somebody dismisses Bayonetta as a game not worth playing, I know they've either never played it, or have no idea what constitutes as a good brawler, and in both cases are full of shit.

Well now I'm interested in this game!

Well now I'm interested in this game!

:lol, you guys have no idea. Bayonetta is, by far, the most fun I've had with a game this generation. If Bayo 2 is "only" as good as the first, it'll still be my GOTY. The combat system really does feel flawless. Added to that is the incredibly smart design in every corner of the game, and you get yourself "The Galaxy 2 of character action games."

Fabrik

Banned
Awesome news. Very good move by Nintendo. So happy to see my two favourite developers having a close relationship. Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2
and Pikmin 3 make the WiiU already worthwhile.

Jintor

High five.

Caption should be

U want to touch me?

Anyway been playing through Bayo again today. The attention to detail in this game is nothing short of amazing. I can't wait and I have no problem buying a wii u for a second helping of this great franchise.

I would like to know this:

For generations it has been conventional gaming wisdom that if you're a true fan, you'll buy a game console for ONE game. Sure, others might see this as being overly devoted, but game players generally seem to understand it. We all like games, and know what it's like when there's one game that is "your game". It's virtually not a matter of money, then. It's about the game.

Despite the fact that Bayonetta 1 was multiplatform, why has the former conventional wisdom flown out the window for so many people? Is it just the effect of passing rage inspiring hypocritical attitudes? Is it because it's a Nintendo system, and one that so many 'hardcore' gamers have decided in advance is stupid, uncool, and shouldn't exist?

It's a Nintendo console. That's the only answer needed in this case. Plain and simple. It's a fallacy to think that if Bayo2 would've been exclusive to PS3 or 360 this would've created anywhere near the same shitstorm.

.la1n

Caption should be

U want to touch me?

Anyway been playing through Bayo again today. The attention to detail in this game is nothing short of amazing. I can't wait and I have no problem buying a wii u for a second helping of this great franchise.

I just finished up a replay of the game recently and I have to say I had forgotten how painful the end is, it goes on FOREVER. Other than that still a fantastic game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom