• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

georly

Yeah Gracious and Glorious are rather annoying, mainly due to no witch time. :(

I feel like the QTE's have killed me more than the game itself. :I

Oh I've definitely died more from QTEs than enemies. I think I've died 9 times total from QTEs and only about 3-4 times from normal enemies.

Think you have to beat the game (on normal?) before you can access them.

Thanks. Why would the store sell it to me if I can't even use it though :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I failed the Ch2 QTE 5 or 6 times so I looked it up online and apparently it goes through easier if you hold the button after pressing it. I tried that and passed it immediately. Been doing the same since and didn't fail any additional QTEs due to execution for the rest of the game.

Curufinwe

I'm play B1 first for a bit before diving into the sequel.

Seems like playing as Link would be the most fun since you get the parry move right away.

Anteo

The lack of health regen of any form is murdering me. I can't get through a level with less than three or four continues because I can just about make it through one encounter but then I get thrown into the next one with 1/5th health

And that's why I always buy regen items in the gates of hell. I still die a lot but it would be much much worse without these. I wish the game gave us more ingredients to make some health items on the go, I almost never have enough to make one in the middle of the battle

RickGhastly

Neo Member
I can't believe I bought the Pro Controller solely for this and just ended up beating it with the Classic (I must be to that point where I'm so old I can't adapt to new layouts, because it was the difference between Stone and Platinum ratings).

Anyway, has anyone else had any odd issues with the volume in-game? Mine was all over the place.

Kinsei

Banned
How do you grab enemies with kulshedra? I thought it was just holding the punch button, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I just finished chapter 7 with a plat in both combo and time. I <3 the durgas.

Tuck

Just beat the giant dragon monster. Fun fight.

Game is really great, aside from the QTEs. That said, the combat isn't as fluid as the DMC remake - the grapple abilities in that game really allowed for long chains of combos. On the other hand, Bayonetta is notably harder, and you can't just chain endless combos like you could in that game.

Hugstable

Banned
What are the must have Special Techs that I should be buying from the shop early on? I already bought the Witch Twist, Stilleto and Afterburner Kick and was wondering what I should spend my rings on.

jblank83

Just played the first hour, the prologue.

My thoughts on the Bayo 2 demo are applicable here: easier to get into than W101, more complex and satisfying than Metal Gear Rising, with plenty of amusing style. It's too early to say, but I think W101 might win out in the "mastery = satisfaction" category, but Bayo is less frustrating than W101. I like both better than MGR, though I do think MGR is really good.

Anyway, very glad Nintendo brought this over to Wii U. Looking forward to more.

drotahorror

Grind for weapons? You get them for free, the stuff you buy in the shops just lets you use two of them at once.

If you buy the alternate weapons you can use them on feet as well? Is that what you're saying? Or you mean you have 2 sets of the same weapon?

BadWolf

What are the must have Special Techs that I should be buying from the shop early on? I already bought the Witch Twist, Stilleto and Afterburner Kick and was wondering what I should spend my rings on.

Tetsuzanko (big freaking damage with Shuraba, near full screen range).

Air dodge is essential.

Rnr1224

Just beat this game for the first time and I really enjoyed it!
Especially the final boss! That was an insane way to kill a god!
Onto Bayonetta 2 now!

Blizzard

Banned
How do I practice moves that I bought that require an enemy to use?
Go to Rodin's store and choose the try-a-weapon or try-a-move option. Once you've bought everything you can't do that anymore and you have to go to an actual chapter to practice. I think I linked it a while back if you've bought out the store, so let me know if you want me to look up my post.

Also, speaking of dying, I started dying in the first few chapters. I'm not using any items since I figure I can just continue with full health instead -- is there any limit to the number of continues you can use?

*edit* Stone award for chapter one, sounds about right. I'm a pro at dodge offsets and weaves and all that. :D

*edit 2.0*
Vigrid
in chapter 1 looked quite nice in places!

Played through this in completion for the first time today. What a game. But it's amazing how much better the second game looks and plays when you play them back to back. This game also has a lot of framerate problems. Lots of times it hits single digits fps towards the end of the game, reminded me of the horrible ninja gaiden 2 stairs. Overall I give this a 9.

Zafir

The penalty system seems kind of silly. On the later levels when you have more hp you seem to be better off just continuing rather than using items.

Shizuka

Just finished chapter 1, found my mojo using the Wii CCP. Should I go for all skills first when buying things or should I go for something else?

Kinsei

Banned
Just finished chapter 1, found my mojo using the Wii CCP. Should I go for all skills first when buying things or should I go for something else?

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is a must have. I'd get the air dodge and the stingers and then save up for it if I were you. If you'e having trouble staying alive, don't be afraid to buy some witch hearts to increase your max HP.

Curufinwe

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is a must have. I'd get the air dodge and the stingers and then save up for it if I were you. If you'e having trouble staying alive, don't be afraid to buy some witch hearts to increase your max HP.

You can just play as Link to get block for free.

Dereck

Go to Rodin's store and choose the try-a-weapon or try-a-move option. Once you've bought everything you can't do that anymore and you have to go to an actual chapter to practice. I think I linked it a while back if you've bought out the store, so let me know if you want me to look up my post.
Sure, link me up

I am dying probably 10-20 times per chapter. Is anyone else?

Don't worry, my first run through of Chapter V was at least 30 deaths. Stopped counting after that. Been dodging more, staying further back from enemies, and using PKP combo more and I've got down to 5~10 deaths. Slow progress, but I'd like to get good.

It's been years since I've played this game but I remember there being a "Play History" screen, where you could see which trophy you had obtained in each chapter. I can't find this option ANYWHERE in the Wii U version. Anyone care to tell me where it is in the menu?

Zafir

It's been years since I've played this game but I remember there being a "Play History" screen, where you could see which trophy you had obtained in each chapter. I can't find this option ANYWHERE in the Wii U version. Anyone care to tell me where it is in the menu?

It's on the sub menu, but it didn't appear for me until I completed the game(which I just did).

Blizzard

Banned
Don't buy the breakdance move. Ever.

Then you can use it to practice anything you want on an enemy.
It seems like an oversight in an otherwise polished game not to have a practice option with a respawning enemy. I -want- to use the breakdance move! Also a bit silly if you can't turn it off after buying it though.

Sure, link me up
Here's my post:
I was hoping there would be some way to get the tutorial-style load screen with a respawning ground enemy.

Actually, googling found a thread on this exact thing: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/946346-bayonetta/57083419

Apparently there's a "try a move" mode in Rodin's shop, but it goes away once you buy all the moves (how unfortunate). Someone recommended an area in the 6th chapter to train with, so worst-case I can do that.

Lastly:
The penalty system seems kind of silly. On the later levels when you have more hp you seem to be better off just continuing rather than using items.
I was wondering about this. If there's no continue limit, is the penalty worse for using an item than it is for continuing to get full HP?

Dereck

Yikes. I'm dying like 3-4 times a chapter

Dodge more
Thanks

Don't worry, my first run through of Chapter V was at least 30 deaths. Stopped counting after that. Been dodging more, staying further back from enemies, and using PKP combo more and I've got down to 5~10 deaths. Slow progress, but I'd like to get good.
The reason why I've been dying is that I have trying to rush in on enemies instead of falling back and dodging before attacking. Most of my deaths have to do with a lack of patience on my part.

It seems like an oversight in an otherwise polished game not to have a practice option with a respawning enemy. I -want- to use the breakdance move! Also a bit silly if you can't turn it off after buying it though.

Here's my post:

Lastly:

I was wondering about this. If there's no continue limit, is the penalty worse for using an item than it is for continuing to get full HP?
Thanks

Blizzard

Banned
Dodge offset question: From practice mode, it seems that it's impossible to dodge offset right before a pause (the dot in a combo). Is that correct?

Blizzard

Banned
What is dodge offset?
From some brief googling, am I correct in saying that all dodge offset is, is this?

If you hold down the last button you pressed during a combo, you can press the evade button and then after the evade let go of the button and continue the combo.
It's this. I don't think it's a big secret, and I think one of the ingame book things describes it, but I spoilered it just in case. If you hit - during a level load to go into practice mode, you'll know it's working because the buttons will stay onscreen in the bottom middle as you continue the combo.

braves01

Banned
What is dodge offset?

You hold down X or A mid combo when you dodge so you can pick up your combo string where you left off without needing to down however many punches or kicks again before the big finishing blow.

I'd heard about it here first, otherwise I probably would've missed the explanation in game. And I'm dying a several times too and getting bad trophies as well. Some of it's from those qte's though. Craft items too. I didn't realize how to do that for several chapters.

Labrys

I don't remember the beginning of chapter 3 being as hard as it's being for me. I'm getting frustrated so I just left it there for the night.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I just found the hardest part of the entire game for me so far: Chapter 2, the first limited punches/kicks section. That probably took me 20-30 tries before I beat it since I refused to look up any tricks online. =P

I'm guessing:
The key is to know which combos do the most damage (I don't), plus maximizing how long you hold down the Scarborough Fair buttons during the combo, while not holding them down TOO long so the combo breaks?

It was really frustrating since many times I seemed not to get a wicked weave, or the combo would break. I don't know if this was framerate hitching when the boss would move, or I was too close to the boss or what, but it was seemed harder to properly combo and do damage here than in other places.

Kinsei

Banned
Well, I just found the hardest part of the entire game for me so far: Chapter 2, the first limited punches/kicks section. That probably took me 20-30 tries before I beat it since I refused to look up any tricks online. =P

I'm guessing:
The key is to know which combos do the most damage (I don't), plus maximizing how long you hold down the Scarborough Fair buttons during the combo, while not holding them down TOO long so the combo breaks?

It was really frustrating since many times I seemed not to get a wicked weave, or the combo would break. I don't know if this was framerate hitching when the boss would move, or I was too close to the boss or what, but it was seemed harder to properly combo and do damage here than in other places.

Glad you did it. Oddly enough that one is much harder than the second limited punches/kicks one.

Top Bottom