• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

Dryk

Up to Chapter 5 now, the encounter design is really starting to bug me. Multiple times so far this chapter new enemies are introduced that can combo half my health off in their opening attack, and one enemy that you have to dodge less than a second after the cutscene ends.

Later P* games pull all this off so much better than this one ;_;

EDIT: I just a torture attack that auto-equips a heavy melee weapon against fast enemies? Thanks game -_-

nicanica

Guys, verify this for me or not...
I'm using the classic controller pro; I could swear that there's input delay. Is there anybody experiencing this same feel?

Jintor

I'm using the classic controller pro; I could swear that there's input delay. Is there anybody experiencing this same feel?

I'm with you, even with the Wii U Pro controller; keep switching between B2 and B1 to check it out. But maybe the timing windows are just tighter in B1?

Ulysses 31

I'm with you, even with the Wii U Pro controller; keep switching between B2 and B1 to check it out. But maybe the timing windows are just tighter in B1?

B1 doesn't seem to buffer the input so yeah you have to time your button presses more to when attacks finish to register the next one.

Just wanted to say that i literally completed B1 for the first time on normal a couple minutes ago and....what a ride!!!!!

I am not normally into this type of games (DMC style) but i had to finish it because of how intriguing the story, the characters and the overall world was to me and i rarely see people say that on here but mostly praise the game for it's gameplay (which was awesome as well).

Can't wait to get Bayo2 now :))

also: the game shouldn't be so hard now that i beat Bayo 1 on normal right?

Neff

Up to Chapter 5 now, the encounter design is really starting to bug me. Multiple times so far this chapter new enemies are introduced that can combo half my health off in their opening attack, and one enemy that you have to dodge less than a second after the cutscene ends.

It's pretty much an understood rule of most Kamiya games that you should dodge/jump as soon as a new enemy introductory cutscene ends, because they don't wait around.

Can't wait to get Bayo2 now :))

also: the game shouldn't be so hard now that i beat Bayo 1 on normal right?

Bayo 2's default difficulty is much easier than Bayo 1's, but still nicely balanced and can punish you if you get complacent.

Dryk

It's pretty much an understood rule of most Kamiya games that you should dodge/jump as soon as a new enemy introductory cutscene ends, because they don't wait around.
I think it's just a little weird having played 101 six months ago. I might be remembering it wrong but I was sure 101 was a lot more patient with you when new enemy types show up. I mean surviving to the end of most of the levels with at least a silver or bronze intact didn't happen by accident :p

Having played MGR and 101 before this I think that P* in general have learnt a lot about kicking your arse but making it feel fair. It's an interesting look back in that regard I guess, I'm still having fun but yeah I have a few problems with it. Checkpoint placement in and around boss fights is worse than their later games too.

Blinck

So I'm about 3 hours into Bayonetta, and while the combat is absolutely awesome and pure bliss, 2 things really really bother me, and I find it strange that many people don't mention it when criticizing this game..

- Color filters that make the game completely brown and desaturated.

and most important:

- The constant cutscenes interrupting gameplay.

It's seriously jarring how the pacing is constantly destroyed by the cutscenes. I'm in combat for 4 minutes and then have a 6 minutes cutscene or something similar. On top of that most cutscenes are very boring and long.

Does this get any better? Or will I keep on watching the game more than playing it?
How is Bayonetta 2 in these aspects? From the Demo the colors at least seem much much better.

BadWolf

Enemies attacking right away after a cutscene was done on purpose in Bayo1, Kamiya talked about it.

danmaku

B2 is a lot more colorful, but it's still heavy on cutscenes. If you don't care about the story, just skip them, thankfully it's always possible. It's kinda funny when I think about it, Bayonetta is well known for its gameplay-first design, but when I showed it to a friend he said "it looks like a movie! so many cutscenes...I'm barely playing it".

Blinck

B2 is a lot more colorful, but it's still heavy on cutscenes. If you don't care about the story, just skip them, thankfully it's always possible. It's kinda funny when I think about it, Bayonetta is well known for its gameplay-first design, but when I showed it to a friend he said "it looks like a movie! so many cutscenes...I'm barely playing it".

That's the feeling I'm getting unfortunately :( On top of that the cutscenes aren't interesting. Some of the battle sequences are cool but other than that they are pretty boring.

I'm just not feeling this is a "gameplay first" game as I was expecting.

danmaku

That's the feeling I'm getting unfortunately :( On top of that the cutscenes aren't interesting. Some of the battle sequences are cool but other than that they are pretty boring.

I'm just not feeling this is a "gameplay first" game as I was expecting.

I think it's a bit of a misconception. Platinum games are "gameplay first" because they give a lot of attention to their game mechanics, and the more you play them the more you see it. But in terms of presentation, they're not that different from your standard cinematic action/shooter: lots of cutscenes, QTE, big setpieces, etc. The real difference is under the hood.

I just got up to Chapter 5 really enjoying the ride.

But damn, dat difficulty ramp up. Just had to walk away from a Boss fight after about 10 attempts.

I'll be back tomorrow. I love it.

Blinck

I'm now on Chapter 7 and WOW! The last 3 or 4 chapters were much, much better than the first ones. Much more "gameplay" and less cutscenes and such.

I'm loving the game. At first I didn't dig the world building and such, but I think that was mostly due to the presentation during cutscenes, which lets be honest, have quite the ridiculous dialogue.
But reading the lore book...it's actually quite interesting and I really like their take on some of the concepts ( like the angels and such )

Really enjoying this game much, much more now :)

Astral Dog

I'm now on Chapter 7 and WOW! The last 3 or 4 chapters were much, much better than the first ones. Much more "gameplay" and less cutscenes and such.

I'm loving the game. At first I didn't dig the world building and such, but I think that was mostly due to the presentation during cutscenes, which lets be honest, have quite the ridiculous dialogue.
But reading the lore book...it's actually quite interesting and I really like their take on some of the concepts ( like the angels and such )

Really enjoying this game much, much more now :)
Thats good to hear :)
Really, it has presentation issues and overexposition, but if you pay a attention , you could find an interesting world, a simple journey that plays with a few tropes very well... one of the best action game stories imo,
its not saying much but still :p

Capra

Got the artbook the other day. I forgot how much I love reading "behind the scenes" stuff on certain games, and Platinum especially goes above and beyond with a lot of tiny details that don't get much attention in-game. The DVD documentary is also a really great bonus. I remember this was out of stock until fairly recently so if anyone's interested I highly recommend it!

Also watching Kamiya's playthrough and today I learned Cereza is Watson.

I finished this today and I have to say I genuinely had a lot of fun from beginning to end. The presentation was so ridiculous that it was entertaining, and even though I sucked at dying a lot (pretty much all Stone awards other than boss fights), I loved the game. Even liked the story kinda, I love it when games just go all batshit crazy at the end.

Gameplay was really rewarding. I want to say I got kinda good at the combat itself, but I always ended up taking too many hits. I'm sure I can get better in subsequent playthroughs, but in all honesty I'm just too eager to jump into Bayonetta 2 for me to give any more time to Bayo 1.

drotahorror

What's up with the white-ish fog surrounding the top of the screen in Bayo 1? It's annoying and I don't understand why it's there. Hell, I first thought it was my TV back when I had it on 360 but no other game did it. Now I've played Bayo Wii U version on 1 brand new TV and 2 different monitors and there is still that strange haze along the top border of the screen.

I'm finally about to wrap this game up. I got to chapter 10 on 360 and lost interest. I actually did the same thing with the Wii U version a couple months ago, got to chapter 10 and stopped. I'm on 14 now so it's time to finish it.

I really just want to play part 2.

The gradient on the top half of the screen is also in the second game, someone at Platinum seems to like it... if you're outside, surrounded by walls it gives the illusion of skylighting, brightening up the buildings. Maybe that was the intention, I don't know!

drotahorror

Finally beat it. If only REmake HD didn't come out tonite.

The gradient on the top half of the screen is also in the second game, someone at Platinum seems to like it... if you're outside, surrounded by walls it gives the illusion of skylighting, brightening up the buildings. Maybe that was the intention, I don't know!

Dang, was hopin it wouldn't be part 2 but oh wells.

Nemmy

- The constant cutscenes interrupting gameplay.

It's seriously jarring how the pacing is constantly destroyed by the cutscenes. I'm in combat for 4 minutes and then have a 6 minutes cutscene or something similar. On top of that most cutscenes are very boring and long.

I think people rarely criticize this because everybody skips all cutscenes after the first playthrough, so they don't really matter. And yeah the game picks up the pace after the first couple chapters like you already noticed.

I replayed Bayo 1 again now that I have it on the Wii U, didn't skip any cutscenes and I'm still shaking my head at how much exposition the game has at the start, how much dialogue there is and how piss poor job all that does at explaining the story.

PKrockin

Despite Wonderful 101's reputation for being confusing and this game being more straightforward, I'm actually finding this game more chaotic due to the close camera and less distinct color contrasts. It's also harder to keep an eye on the score counter to see how my actions affect it. I'm getting silvers and golds with a couple platinums but my score is usually dragging my rank down and I'm not sure why. I think I might be losing my combo before I can get to the next enemy, so I should probably be shooting them more.

Nemmy

Despite Wonderful 101's reputation for being confusing and this game being more straightforward, I'm actually finding this game more chaotic due to the close camera and less distinct color contrasts. It's also harder to keep an eye on the score counter to see how my actions affect it. I'm getting silvers and golds with a couple platinums but my score is usually dragging my rank down and I'm not sure why. I think I might be losing my combo before I can get to the next enemy, so I should probably be shooting them more.

Some quick tips to get high combo scores:
  • use angel weapons, they increase the score multipler rapidly;
  • use Torture Attacks as finishers; when an angel is close to death, a TA is the highest scoring action to be performed, plus it increases the multiplier and gives you an Angel Weapon;
  • if you're losing combo between enemies, try using the Scarborough Fair and hold the buttons after each hit so that Bayo follows it with shooting. Use Stiletto/Heel slide to zone in on enemies quickly, also remember the Wicked Weaves are triggered next to the enemy you're locked on, so they can be hit with a combo finisher even if they're too far from you to be hit in melee.
Also remember getting hit might reset your combo counter (though if it's just your score dragging your rank down then that's most likely not the reason).

PKrockin

Some quick tips to get high combo scores:
  • use angel weapons, they increase the score multipler rapidly;
  • use Torture Attacks as finishers; when an angel is close to death, a TA is the highest scoring action to be performed, plus it increases the multiplier and gives you an Angel Weapon;
  • if you're losing combo between enemies, try using the Scarborough Fair and hold the buttons after each hit so that Bayo follows it with shooting. Use Stiletto/Heel slide to zone in on enemies quickly, also remember the Wicked Weaves are triggered next to the enemy you're locked on, so they can be hit with a combo finisher even if they're too far from you to be hit in melee.
Also remember getting hit might reset your combo counter (though if it's just your score dragging your rank down then that's most likely not the reason).
Thanks for the tips. I also just remembered from watching ChipCheezum's Bayonetta 2 demo video a while back that using the same combos repeatedly will give you less points, unlike W101. (Watch Chip's Metal Gear Rising and W101 LPs if you haven't, he's a top notch LPer.)

Bayo2GOTY

Banned

use your ears more..

Mohonky

Seriously, I refuse to believe it is possible to Pure Platinum every chapter in this game. Wtf? I'm only on hard and I am getting stones because of my damage. How can anyone go through the full chapters without ever once taking a hit? Seriously, people are completing this game without ever taking a single hit through a whole chapter? How many fucking goes at the game does this take people? I am on one of the Alfheims right now and i have been doing it for the past 2 hrs on hard and I can't complete it, I've earnt 150k Halos just in the attempts I've had at it.

Orgen

Seriously, I refuse to believe it is possible to Pure Platinum every chapter in this game. Wtf? I'm only on hard and I am getting stones because of my damage. How can anyone go through the full chapters without ever once taking a hit? Seriously, people are completing this game without ever taking a single hit through a whole chapter? How many fucking goes at the game does this take people? I am on one of the Alfheims right now and i have been doing it for the past 2 hrs on hard and I can't complete it, I've earnt 150k Halos just in the attempts I've had at it.

Just watch some Pure Platinum walkthroughs on YouTube... there's some crazy people out there!

I still need to beat the Lost Chapter and unlock some other things... I'll be back when I'm finished with Captain Toad

Mohonky

Just watch some Pure Platinum walkthroughs on YouTube... there's some crazy people out there!

I still need to beat the Lost Chapter and unlock some other things... I'll be back when I'm finished with Captain Toad

I have and I still cant work it out. Do most people get Pure Platinum on these games or is it suppose to just be a few masochists?

I am a bit concerned as to how much Bayonetta is working the disc drive during cutscenes. It sounds like a very quiet printer working non-stop.

Miker

I just started playing this last night, and I think like the framerate is much worse than the 360 version's. The fight with Fortitudo on the small bridge in Chapter 1 was running at maybe 15-20 fps when he does his fire-breathing (not fireball) attack. I feel like the game is actually dropping my inputs at times due to the framerate. Bayo 2 feels like a rock-solid 60 fps next to Bayo 1 - and I know it's not. I'm mostly a PC gamer, so I'm pretty sensitive to framerate. Not quite human fraps, but close enough to notice how poorly it's running.

I'm also vaguely annoyed by the lack of the Bayo 2 control scheme. Lock-on on ZL makes so much more sense to me. I would've thought Platinum would be smart enough to include it as an option in Bayo 1. Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with the port (that's not to say I'm not grateful for it).

Adaren

Which Alfheim?
Which weapons are you using?
How comfortable are you with Dodge Offset?
If it isn't a Magic-sensitive Alfheim, have you considered using Pulley's Butterfly?

Pure Platinuming the game isn't easy, and I doubt most people do it, but it's definitely achievable if you're willing to practice. It's all about Dodge Offset!

zma1013

Just finished it up and it's pretty spectacular. The set pieces are batshit insane and im addicted to the combat. The bosses battles are pretty awesome and even when battling repeat bosses they make it different from the first time. Cant wait to start 2 after im done attempting to platinum this.

Only thing keeping it from perfection is the instant death QTEs that are infuriating in that sometimes u jump with jump and other times its other buttons yet ur character is still jumping and the QTEs grind the pace to a complete halt. They build up a scene where the action is a breakneck speeds and then all of a sudden everything is stopped because u missed a millisecond QTE u didnt know was there or simply missed. Its at odds with itself and the scoring system since dying negatively effects it. On a similar lesser note, the enemies attacking instantly out of cutscenes... why? Why would they purposely do that? How is anyone supposed to know when the scene ends the first time through? They cant. Its dumb.

Might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have custom boxart for the North American version of the game in printable resolution? This would look great on a shelf in a separate box next to Bayo 2.

jacobeid

Banned
Might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have custom boxart for the North American version of the game in printable resolution? This would look great on a shelf in a separate box next to Bayo 2.

There are a few in the custom boxart thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136806151&postcount=3300
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115993157&postcount=3125
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121698646&postcount=3144 (http://abload.de/img/140719-wiiu_bayonettapmcu6.jpg)

Regiruler

THERE ARE GUNCHUCKS!?

Unlocked these when playing earlier for platinums. Her little chatter is hilarious but they don't seem to build multiplier at all except with the weave (which seems to do an abnormally high amount of damage).

I had no idea these things existed, even though I know of the existence of a large chunk of the hidden content (LKZ, Rodin, Pillow Talk, etc.).

Top Bottom