• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

Ninja Dom

I'm only 3 hours in but my only complaint so far are the instant death qte's. So much bullshit. I don't mind qte's at all but not the ones where if you miss one button press you die.

Yes they are bullshit - worst part of the game. They're not supposed to be in Bayonetta 2.

I've completed my second playthrough but I think I'm still missing a lot of things.

I can't buy anymore Hearts & Moon Pearls in Rodin's shop. His shop is still massively under stocked. Still lots of 'Coming Soon' stuff.
Sometimes you're simply not allowed to buy any more items. You can only obtain three smaller lollipops and a single bigger one per type, the Witch Hearts and Moon Pearls are limited in supply and there's more where you're only permitted a scant few.

El Odio

Banned
I'm making slow progress since my playtime is a bit limited. Can't say I'm digging the all the lava cracks in chapter 3 though, it feels like its to easy to trigger witch time and then void it because I accidentally dodged into some.

Anyone know of an easy way doing the Witchtime Alfheims with Jeanne? They aren't impossible but it's a pain in the ass to trigger it with Jeanne and I'd like to do them reliably with a good rank. Sometimes I still run out of time at the 2 fearless at the end in one of the Alfheims and Selene's Light is useless as it only lasts a second?

mantidor

I know the story is supposed to be ignored but I can't help thinking about it.

Bayonetta being Cereza came as no surprise to me, maybe I was spoiled before and had forgotten, but it was so obvious.

However I didn't get the bit about Jeanne killing her, I mean was it her? Her mother? Going back in time with her younger self and keeping the watch in her heart meant Jeanne didn't kill her, but then that red gemstone was never made, so how was Jeanne cured from the brainwashing in the future? Was it not thanks to that jewel? And how Jeanne could kill Bayonneta if she lives in the future?

That bit was very confusing.

Beat the game this weekend, clocking over 12 hours.

10808535_1503424566604146_1206688301_n.jpg

Got a ton of stone trophies though, but I'll save that for a replay later. Bring on Bayonetta 2!

mantidor

Hint: the sequel answers one of these questions, although it takes its damn time getting there.

Heh I'm in the part of
fighting mechas in Vigrid
in bayo 2 and I'm even more confused especially after they revealed already the identity of the masked Lumen Sage. It makes no sense!

Can't wait to finish it, but pesky things like work get in the way.

Regiruler

Heh I'm in the part of
fighting mechas in Vigrid
in bayo 2 and I'm even more confused especially after they revealed already the identity of the masked Lumen Sage. It makes no sense!

Can't wait to finish it, but pesky things like work get in the way.

Bayo 2 only really explains
why balder was evil
, but it only does so at the end of the game.

El Odio

Banned
So I played and finished
Route 666
and did they expect anyone to understand how to properly play that section? I just held forward the whole time and kept shooting and somehow managed to get gold on it but I feel like I was doing it completely wrong with how much I got hit.

Regiruler

So I played and finished
Route 666
and did they expect anyone to understand how to properly play that section? I just held forward the whole time and kept shooting and somehow managed to get gold on it but I feel like I was doing it completely wrong with how much I got hit.

Just don't go on
the left side of the bridge
and you're pretty much golden.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just loaded this up after playing Bayo2.

Is there a way to put lock-on on the left bumper? Why is it on the right? It makes it impossible to hold lock and dodge at the same time...

Regiruler

Is there a way to put lock-on on the left bumper? Why is it on the right? It makes it impossible to hold lock and dodge at the same time...

That's why you play bayo 1 first and get the muscle memory for the traditional control scheme, then swap to scheme B in bayo 2.
IDK, maybe it's under options?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That's why you play bayo 1 first and get the muscle memory for the traditional control scheme, then swap to scheme B in bayo 2.
IDK, maybe it's under options?

You didn't keep it at default in Bayo 2? You'd rather not be able to lock and dodge at the same time?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can do it in the options, unless I'm missing something.

Adaren

So I played and finished
Route 666

You can get Platinum time without ever hitting forward.

You can use the jump button to dodge when locking on, but unfortunately there's no way to reconfigure the button layout.

Regiruler

You didn't keep it at default in Bayo 2? You'd rather not be able to lock and dodge at the same time?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can do it in the options, unless I'm missing something.
I didn't need to hold lock on. It auto locks for you.

I only used it for some of the launchers. Really I wanted the better trigger for weapon swap.

Just beat
Fortitudo
(Chap 4). The fighting in this game is really intense. I'm having a blast so far!

My only worries: How will my Pro Controller survive Bayo 1 AND Bayo 2!?

Just got this and Bayo 2 today, started with 1 since I had a PS3 last gen and skipped it. The last game that I played that reminds me of this was DMC 3 and 4 on the PC, IIRC, never played this kind of game on a controller/console.

Did I just watch
someone dance on a stripper pole while killing angels? Wow.
That soundtrack too, my god.

EDIT: The list of combos in the beginning...

Zemm

I completed this the other day, the highs were very high but the lows very low. Good game but not something I completely enjoyed. I've enjoyed the first two hours of Bayo 2 more, those that say they've fixed everything in the second game were right, all my annoyances haven't shown up at all yet and the small improvements to the combat are noticeable.

Curufinwe

There's one AP on Hard that took me four hours of restarting over and over to beat... I think it's the one where a crow is on the bridge so you have to beat it in order to get all the crows.

GWX

I've been replaying this on hard for quite a while now - reached chapter 9, skipped Route 666 - before starting Bayonetta 2, and I'm this close to giving up. It's way too stressful: when it finally feels like I'm improving, I die because of bullshit I didn't remember or because the game just kicks my ass to no end, and then every chapter results in a stone award and I'm not even compelled to use health items because they subtract from the score... I mean, FUCK! The only weapons I have are the pistols, the shotguns, the sword and the Durgas, and I'm sad that I'll never unlock another. I'm too weak for this game, next please!

I've been replaying this on hard for quite a while now - reached chapter 9, skipped Route 666 - before starting Bayonetta 2, and I'm this close to giving up. It's way too stressful: when it finally feels like I'm improving, I die because of bullshit I didn't remember or because the game just kicks my ass to no end, and then every chapter results in a stone award and I'm not even compelled to use health items because they subtract from the score... I mean, FUCK! The only weapons I have are the pistols, the shotguns, the sword and the Durgas, and I'm sad that I'll never unlock another. I'm too weak for this game, next please!

No worries, Bayo 2 is much more accessible difficultywise

Regiruler

Might bum rush my hard mode playthrough to finish jubileus before midnight.

Not sure why I feel like doing it, but I have a good rhythm going.

Kodaman

Finished recently clocking about 36 hours. Played on normal, no stones...
Probably the best action game I ever played (aside from some QTE's)... I can see myself doing a 2nd run to get platiniums and all secrets.

I'm gonna let it rest a little before I start 2

Regiruler

Only just now figured out how to do dodge offset. I thought you dodged between attacks, but you dodge immediately after the attack input.

The wicked weave alfiems should be doable now.

popyea

Only just now figured out how to do dodge offset. I thought you dodged between attacks, but you dodge immediately after the attack input.

The wicked weave alfiems should be doable now.

You can dodge at any point though, depending on what the situation might require. Dodging before your attack animation even starts is helpful if you just want to quickly reach the later part of the combo, but you obviously miss out on dealing damage from those attacks. Dodging as soon as you get a wicked weave works though, as the animation appears independently of Bayonetta. You can also delay your dodges to the very last moment by prolonging your attacks. So you can dodge at any point while the attack button is held, except for if you hold it for too long and the auxiliary animation ends.

Adaren

Finished recently clocking about 36 hours. Played on normal, no stones...
Probably the best action game I ever played (aside from some QTE's)... I can see myself doing a 2nd run to get platiniums and all secrets.

I'm gonna let it rest a little before I start 2

36 hours for a first playthrough. o_o I'm assuming you replayed the levels a lot?

Multiple playthroughs are definitely encouraged. There's tons to unlock, and you'll find that the game only becomes more awesome as you become better.

Glad you enjoyed it! You'll love 2.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

Just play Bayo 2. As good as the first game is the sequel is much better.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just finished this for the first time. Amazing game really. I was completely terrible at the start and by the end I was getting silver/gold/platinums. Any stone I did get was because of stupid deaths by QTE fail. I will definitely replay it again but I am going to jump into Bayo 2 tomorrow since it seems to be missing the stuff I didn't like from this game.

Draconian

I'm only 3 hours in but my only complaint so far are the instant death qte's. So much bullshit. I don't mind qte's at all but not the ones where if you miss one button press you die.

Yeah, I'm completely the same. Just got 2 deaths at the end of Chapter 2 because of complete nonsense QTEs that were beyond my control. What a joke. This game rocks otherwise, but man, I'm pretty irritated that I went through that whole chapter trying not to die just get instakilled by a QTE.

Garou

Finished the game for the first time, great game! And still I feel I just scratched the surface, I guess it's normal to rely on only a handful of combos (in my case using the sword and PPPP-K was my go-to) at first?

Now the question if I should catch up on verses and stuff I missed and rank up from those stone-ranks or just jump into Bayonetta 2...

Top Bottom