• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

danmaku

I don't know, but I think it's just the intended style and isn't really more colorful on 360? If you watch the upper half of the screen you notice there is a bright gradient always present. That's not a bug but on purpose. At least on the WiiU you don't have the the skewed 360 gamma curve added to the overall look of the game.

The 360 version looks the same, it's a deliberate choice. I guess they wanted to give a coherent look to the whole game: Bayonetta is black and gold, angels are white and gold, demons are black and purple. All background elements have muted colors because there's enough shit on the screen already. But after playing B2, it looks dull.

Corgi

Banned
yeah, i'd still recommend normal even with the frustrations.

You will die a lot, but just surviving encounters is infinitely more satisfying than most games out these days.

UrbanRats

Use the whip weapon and be slow with your jumps, if I remember right it makes is hilariously easy to finish it.

Yeah, you can stay in the air forever with that thing.

Thanks, i guess i'll try Kusheldra later.

--

To the post above, i didn't try on easy even when i was dying a lot, because it says "automatic" which, i assume, it's something that fundamentally changes the gameplay.
That's something i hate, i'm ok with taking less damage, having less enemies and such, but if the mechanics themselves change, then you're doing no progress for aiming at higher difficulties later on.
So i'd stick with normal and just eat up those stone awards/continues, since it's not that uncommon anyway.
Some people just have a harder learning curve.
I had to beat NGBlack on Ninja Dog before i understood how the game worked properly and could beat it on normal.
Also the first time i really decided to stick with an action game and try to understand it, instead of putting it aside as "not my thing".. i'm happy i did, too.

Corgi

Banned
Still never understood witch time late game. Like some claw guys you can't witch time from dodge only from counter attack.

Effect

Ugh. Looks like the game has decided to spike the difficulty on me. Didn't really die at all outside of falling off an area and that was my mistake until now. In chapter 5, verse 11 now (haven't really had time top lay the way I wanted and I'm doing the Bayonetta 1 first) and the deaths are starting to stack. I guess I shouldn't worry it being my first play through of the game. Still a bit annoying. Playing on normal and it's a decent challenge.

Going to try and push through as much of the game I can this weekend. Would like to get to Bayonetta 2 soon. Decided to play part 1 first because after playing up to and a little of chapter 2 of the second game I felt going back to Bayo 1 after playing and betting Bayo 2 would be hard. Would get more enjoyment out of the first game without having the second's advancements on my mind as I played.

bobohoro

Chapter V is where most struggle, difficulty will at least not increase but be prepared that you will die a ton from now on. I found it helpful to buy all the vitality upgrades in the shop, helps with learning attack patterns when you can take another hit or two before dying. Definitely don't worry about score on your first run, just observe, learn and have fun with the options the game presents you.

Bayonetta 2 is a lot more forgiving on normal, so much so that most will tell you to play on 3rd climax from the start. Personally, I enjoyed going through it on 2nd and getting Gold/Platin most of the time, felt good after the stone avalanche that is part 1. ;)

I finished Bayonetta 1 the other day, it's still fun and it makes me appreciate all the things Bayonetta 2 fixes...but something feels a bit off in the Wii U version...witch time doesn't seem to work when it's supposed to? Not sure if anyone can confirm this for me, I played with the Link costume that might of made things harder but I would dodge properly a lot of the time and it wouldn't activate. Bat within (which I believe is supposed to do it 100% of the time) doesn't activate witch time either. Maybe it's just a lot easier to do in Bayonetta 2 and I got used to it.
It was a bit rough going back from Bayonetta 2 to Bayonetta 1 (I had beat the game on the 360 a few years ago). Bayo 2 just feels much better and got rid of a lot of the game's "fluff" with no "bad stages" unlike the first game.
2nd climax is probably closer to Bayo 2's 3rd climax since Bayonetta 2 seems to control better/is less cheap.
Still great fun to replay it and I'm glad I got to do so with the Nintendo costumes, might be harder for beginners to get into though
and plot wise you can play either first and gain something
I think Bayonetta 1 has several enemies that just straight up don't give witch time on certain attacks. Grace and Glory are the first ones that do that, but many other enemies are like that too.
Really? That sucks. Just feels like the game isn't working right.

Dreavus

I finished Bayonetta 1 the other day, it's still fun and it makes me appreciate all the things Bayonetta 2 fixes...but something feels a bit off in the Wii U version...witch time doesn't seem to work when it's supposed to? Not sure if anyone can confirm this for me, I played with the Link costume that might of made things harder but I would dodge properly a lot of the time and it wouldn't activate. Bat within (which I believe is supposed to do it 100% of the time) doesn't activate witch time either. Maybe it's just a lot easier to do in Bayonetta 2 and I got used to it.
It was a bit rough going back from Bayonetta 2 to Bayonetta 1 (I had beat the game on the 360 a few years ago). Bayo 2 just feels much better and got rid of a lot of the game's "fluff" with no "bad stages" unlike the first game.
2nd climax is probably closer to Bayo 2's 3rd climax since Bayonetta 2 seems to control better/is less cheap.
Still great fun to replay it and I'm glad I got to do so with the Nintendo costumes, might be harder for beginners to get into though
and plot wise you can play either first and gain something

I think Bayonetta 1 has several enemies that just straight up don't give witch time on certain attacks. Grace and Glory are the first ones that do that, but many other enemies are like that too.

mantidor

Geace and Glory give you witch time, is just difficult because they are fast, but they give it. Gracious and Glorius are the ones that do not give witch time.

Kjellson

I hate Grace & Glory so fucking much.

Currently fighting two yellow ones in Chapter X and I can't activate Witch Time for some reason. I am chanceless.

Finally beat it last night. I know I'm on the slow end, since I got it on release (well, 2's release, technically), but man, that game was a blast. A few chapters before the end, I went back and redid chapter one to see how much I'd improved. Gold trophy first try. I love games like this that really give you a feeling of improvement.

Got through the prologue of 2 last night and am really looking forward to where things go, but a part of me is still wanting to go back and do a hard run through the first game.

Decisions...

Sendou

Don't. You'll improve.

Modern games have made people forget it's ok to die. I died a lot. The game demands you more than just button smashing. You'll get there. Use dodge more, analyse the enemies, everything is very doable on normal.

I don't mind dying when it's fun. I haven't really gotten to that phase with Bayonetta. To be honest I'm feeling little pull to go back and continue playing the game.

BadWolf

Really? That sucks. Just feels like the game isn't working right.

I have mixed feelings about Witch Time in general.

Is it an actual feature of the combat or is it a crutch? Is the game balanced around it or not?

Which is the right way to play the game, with Witch Time or without?

It's just odd that the main difference between Hard and Infinite Climax is no Witch Time, otherwise the difficulties are the same. So they had to take out one of the defining gameplay mechanics in the game just to make it more challenging? No other major character action game takes away mechanics like that iirc (DMC, Ninja Gaiden, MGR etc.).

I don't mind dying when it's fun. I haven't really gotten to that phase with Bayonetta. To be honest I'm feeling little pull to go back and continue playing the game.

Drop it to Easy and enjoy the game. Come back to Normal when you get better. And go for Hard after that.

Drop to easy, I fully understand the unfun part of dying 100 times in a row. <---
that's was Ninja Gaiden Black to me

Zarovitch

I start it for the first time this weekend i'm at chapter 6.
The game deliver what i was expecting and i'm as bad as i was expecting too.

If i remember well Bayo 2 looks more colorfull that the first. I find if too dark.
But i really like the design of the opponent, there's some great work in them.

mantidor

That's unfortunate. I don't know about easy because it makes stuff automatic, but you should try it. The thing is that if you are not feeling any pull maybe easy won't help that much in that regard.

phanphare

Banned

as others have said, drop it to easy. I did Normal up until Chapter VI. then it became too much so I dropped it.

also fwiw 2nd Climax for Bayonetta 2 is much more manageable than Normal for Bayonetta. I could actually beat the game on that difficulty haha.

That's unfortunate. I don't know about easy because it makes stuff automatic, but you should try it. The thing is that if you are not feeling any pull maybe easy won't help that much in that regard.

Not sure but can you remove the immortal marionette from the accessory slot in easy/very easy? That is the item that makes it automatic, if you can remove it then you have the difficulty without the automatic combos.

Monocle

Time to switch to Easy. Bayonetta is a trial on Normal for any first-time player, even someone who is good at action games. You'll need to collect and purchase quite a few health and magic upgrades, techniques, and weapons before you'll feel like you're equal to the challenges Normal mode throws at you. Learning to dodge offset is also a must.

Chapter X ... those damn Joy's ... I was confident running through the game getting my last Platinums on normal but they put a stop to that. I still get hit more than I care to admit, especially when fighting against them. And building up the combo-multiplier high enough without killing them increases the danger of getting hit as I'm not that familiar with all the combos and techniques in the game so I can do that using more powerful attacks. Gracious and Glorious are easier to read to me... maybe I should deselect the evil harvest item and witchtime them, but I considered this as training for Infinite Climax, if I can't platinum them without witchtime I will not be able to do it there.
There is so much left to unlock, I need to get to it if I want to play the sequel this year instead of next year.

mantidor

Gracious and Glorious are easier to read to me... maybe I should deselect the evil harvest item and witchtime them, but I considered this as training for Infinite Climax, if I can't platinum them without witchtime I will not be able to do it there.

You can't witchtime them anyway.

mantidor

The Joy's I can, I kinda wrote it a little confusing there! Gracious and Glorious not but they aren't the problem (you can parry witchtime them)

Oh I see, joys are easy to beat but I can see it must be very hard to platinum them specially without witchtime.

In that sense Grace and Glory and their brothers make platinum easier because you have to avoid their attacks as much as possible even on normal, so you basically play in platinum mode all the time with them.

Capra

zlCfzSqoh88p2i7U0g

Welp, I've finally done it. Also unlocked Jeanne in the process, and even though it means I'll have to re-unlock all my weapons I'll probably stick with her since infinite dodge seems like the best option for NSIF... Also dat Cutie-J and Bloody Moon I must have it.

To be honest, I don't know when I'll start 2 - there's just so much to master about 1!

sphagnum

Banned
This is my first time playing through the original. I'm getting stones on everything and using healing items relentlessly but I don't care. I'm loving it. I don't think I've ever felt such exhilaration in a video game before. I've never had sweaty palms playing a game until this one.

I think I'm going to have to take a break and go back to Hyrule Warriors for a bit before I go into Bayonetta 2 though.

Effect

What's a good choice for the first accessory to buy once you've saved up enough?

Also is there a good way of getting halos? They seem hard to come by. I'm currently about to start chapter 7.

Kinsei

Banned
What's a good choice for the first accessory to buy once you've saved up enough?

Also is there a good way of getting halos? They seem hard to come by. I'm currently about to start chapter 7.

The Moon of Mahala Kalaa is the best accessory on your first playthrough IMO.

If you're good enough to consistently pure platinum the prologue you'll get 20k halos every 2-3 minutes. Chapter 7 is the best one to farm for halos, but to make the most out of it you need the bracelet of time accessory. In order to unlock the bracelet of time you need to beat the game on normal or higher in under 3 hours.

Effect

The Moon of Mahala Kalaa is the best accessory on your first playthrough IMO.

If you're good enough to consistently pure platinum the prologue you'll get 20k halos every 2-3 minutes. Chapter 7 is the best one to farm for halos, but to make the most out of it you need the bracelet of time accessory. In order to unlock the bracelet of time you need to beat the game on normal or higher in under 3 hours.

Thanks!

Xemnas89

I'm currently playing through this for the first time. I only had a PS3 last gen and I heard nothing but bad things about the PS3 port so I avoided it. I just beat chapter 14 and as of right now this might be my favorite game in the genre. Don't know how much longer I have on this one but I can't wait to get to Bayo 2 and see if it really is even better.

Felensis

Banned
I hate Grace & Glory so fucking much.

Currently fighting two yellow ones in Chapter X and I can't activate Witch Time for some reason. I am chanceless.

Me too, but then I figured out that you can easily beat them by staying close to them. Dodge a lot and fire combos in close-combat. This way I managed to beat them very fast. Before that they often beat the shit out of me x_x

Effect

The bike level wasn't very good. That's got to be my biggest issue with the game at moment. That whole experience just wasn't any fun.

I'm also noticing that my reaction time isn't starting to really cut it with some enemies. They just move far to fast. I'm playing on normal and don't really want to lower the difficulty. As a result finding myself burning through items now at times. Strangely enough it's not on the bosses but the random enemies that show up.

First and foremost let me say that I'm utterly blown away. I've never enjoyed games what I call "console button smasher" before, but prove me wrong and burn my body in the desert! If my spouse ever leaves me, I have a backup plan.. I'll just marry Bayonetta!

Man have I just found a treasure of gold! Where can I buy t-shirts!!

Everything is just so out of bounds, tongue in the cheek over the board awesome!! that I can hardly stay on the couch while playing!

But this is not the reason I've come here, no.
I've just began the first OF TWO!! games in the special edition, thank you Platinum! Thank you Jesus! Thank you Gaf for convincing me to buy it!..This is the reason why playing games is awesome o/

And I think from all the haze of awesome that I've gone trough, I'm in the second chapter, AND I've found my first alfheims and man they are tough for a first timer like me. This is the second day of playing and several times I've come so close to making it to the end, but not just quite... And man do I hate when this happens... I feel that I can't give up on them now that I've been trying (and I'm dieing to find out what do I get when I finally beat them)...

But at the same time I want to continue the story and not just go through this repetative eye-mind-ear-bodycontrol test... Man am I torn apart by this...

What I meant to say, that developers who do this are just nasty.. Putting secret levels that are extremely too diffucult for your current skill level of the games natural progression... It's evil shit man!! Some seriously evil shit!...

Ok. I' done.
Please no spoilers please! Well ok, maybe for the one which has a limit for the kicks and punches, for that I could really use some help ;)

Kinsei

Banned
First and foremost let me say that I'm utterly blown away. I've never enjoyed games what I call "console button smasher" before, but prove me wrong and burn my body in the desert! If my spouse ever leaves me, I have a backup plan.. I'll just marry Bayonetta!

Everything is just so out of bounds, tongue in the cheek over the board awesome!! that I can hardly stay on the couch while playing!

I've just began the first OF TWO!! games in the special edition, thank you Platinum! Thank you Jesus! Thank you Gaf for convincing me to buy it!..This is the reason why playing games is awesome o/

And I think from all the haze of awesome that I've gone trough, I'm in the second chapter, AND I've found my first alfheims and man they are tough for a first timer like me. This is the second day of playing and several times I've come so close to making it to the end, but not just quite... And man do I hate when this happens... I feel that I can't give up on them now that I've been trying (and I'm dieing to find out what do I get when I finally beat them)...

But at the same time I want to continue the story and not just go through this repetative eye-mind-ear-bodycontrol test... Man am I torn apart by this...

What I meant to say, that developers who do this are just nasty.. Putting secret levels that are extremely too diffucult for your current skill level of the games natural progression... It's evil shit man!! Some seriously evil shit!...

Ok. I' done.
Please no spoilers please! Well ok, maybe for the one which has a limit for the kicks and punches, for that I could really use some help ;)

For the limited punches and kicks I used PPKP in the air with Scarborough Fair. Make sure you hold the button after each hit to get extra damage from the bullets.

Adaren

Ok. I' done.

This post makes me so happy. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

For the limited Punchs/Kicks, consider the charge attack of a certain weapon you get in Ch. 2 (hold X). You can dodge around while charging as well!

I also recommend the PKP combo with it to unleash Wicked Weaves using a minimal amount of your valuable punches and kicks. Make sure to hold down Y for the kick as well to shoot as many bullets as possible!

Scum

For the Limited Punches/Kicks Alfeim, equip Scarborough Fairs to hands and feet. Dodge the enemy attack and then use Bullet Climax (rotate the left stick 360 and repeatedly press punch or kick). The "long" sequence of shooting counts as one.

Xemnas89

Just beat it and wow this game was just amazing. With the exception of a couple alternate gameplay sections and some QTE's this game might just be perfect. Never thought something would top DMC3 for me but this seems to do it. Can't wait to see if Bayo 2 lives up to this.

Monocle

Ok. I' done.
Awesome, I love these kinds of impressions.

danmaku

Ok. I' done.

You're blown away, and you are just at the second chapter? lol you still have to experience the shitjustgotreal.gif moments. Don't worry too much about the portals, they're bonus challenges for expert players. Save them for your second playthrough... because you'll play it more than once, right?? :)

ajjow

This game is so good that Ill buy it again on disc.

Really amazed. It feels like playing okami. Im in love about everything. Even thouh the camera sucks a lot, i keep playing it over and over for trophies. Man, incredible.

Its mu game of the year, even though its from 2010. Its like playing the best game of 2019.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01j8j4u.jpg

Finally, took me 55 hours. Not sure if I try pure platinum as I don't think I have enough patience and my frustration level is high enough for that.
I also like watching some yoshesqueSA youtube videos. I will never be as good as her but there are some valuable things to see/learn.

Regiruler

Just started today. I'm at chapter 6.
Jeanne really did a number on me, but Grace and Glory weren't honestly all that bad, except in the bonus area where you essentially had to use Shuraba's charge to inflict enough damage under the move limit.

Also, do some of
inspired
's attacks not give you witch time?

Top Bottom