• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

Seik

Banned
Yeah I'm getting better and do witch time as much as possible, but they are still hard.

I feel incredibly dumb.

You can block? How? Tutorials never mentioned it :(

I think he means parry, with moon of mahaa-kalaa. A 200K accessory you buy in the shop or have by default with the Link costume. The parry is just like in rising, where you need to push forward the enemy with the left stick just before it hits you, it'll block the attack and it's the most useful item in the whole game imo.

EDIT: James is spot on and faster than my edit. :p

It's been hard going from Bayonetta 2 to Bayonetta 1. It's a lot harder than I remember, it feels a lot more "cheap" with its deaths and the QTE are pretty bad. It makes me appreciate Bayonetta 2 more for cutting a lot of the BS out but it's still a pretty fun game.
I think he means parry, with moon of mahaa-kalaa.
Which is one of the most expensive accessories, use the Link costume since that has the same feature (using the shield instead of the Moon of Mahaa Kala)

Yeah I'm getting better and do witch time as much as possible, but they are still hard.

I feel incredibly dumb.

You can block? How? Tutorials never mentioned it :(

You need to buy the moon accessory or use the Link costume. When an enemy attacks you press the left stick 2 times quickly in the direction of the attack and Bayonetta will block or counter (if the timing is right).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5N-QHcTSGY

Personally I'm a fan of her original outfit so I use the accessory but if you're low on rings you can use the link costume I believe and this way even have another slot for another accessory.

Edit: You may only have to push the stick once according to the video, however, I always make 2 "pushes" , I actually thought 2 are required, guess not. If you are too early then your second push activates the block.

Just beat the final boss in my first playthrough. Not as hard as some people were saying, though that was probably because I've only done it on Normal. Still, definitely fun, and glad that I had the chance to taunt a whole ton in between attacks.

My beginner's luck ended with chapter IV. I was getting bronze and even one silver, but bastards Grace and Glory ended my happiness. I basically spam breakdance and hope for avoiding their combos. Is there any way to break them?

If you haven't already, learning dodge offset is great against them, especially if you have the sword weapon (cannot remember the name) and time it so that you land the fourth sequence of hits in its ppppk combo right as you come out of a dodge next to them, or a wicked weave or something similar that stuns/knocks them back. Worked for me.

Neff

Edit: You may only have to push the stick once according to the video, however, I always make 2 "pushes" , I actually thought 2 are required, guess not. If you are too early then your second push activates the block.

You only need to push once if you want a parry + counter, but your timing has to be perfect. Pushing more than once is a good way to get a block, because the window for activating it is quite generous.

You only need to push once if you want a parry + counter, but your timing has to be perfect. Pushing more than once is a good way to get a block, because the window for activating it is quite generous.

I just tried it... now I feel stupid for thinking so long that 2x are required, I don't know how I came to that conclusion lol. It is way more relaxed to just press it once.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01wms1i.jpg

Kind of leisurely progressed with the next 2 platinum rankings on normal with that new found knowledge/relaxed way of playing. Nearly blocking as efficiently as Kamiya is blocking people on twitter now!

NEO0MJ

Finally reached the last chapter. I completely forgot about the terrible turret section.

You have to buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. It costs 100,000 halos and it lets you parry by flicking the left stick in the direction of an attack.

Actually, it's 200K.

mantidor

Seems I'm going to start grinding halos then. Thanks for your answers.

What I love about the game is that its very hard but its not cheap or unfair, you keep failing because you suck, but the more you play the better you become, reminded me of FZero in that regard.

antitrop

Finally reached the last chapter. I completely forgot about the terrible turret section.
So did I. It had been like 4 1/2 years since I had last played it. It took me completely by surprise, this last time.

It's the worst thing ever.

People always talk shit about Dead Space 1's infamous turret section, but Bayonetta's final chapter is truly the shittiest turret sequence I've ever played in a video game before.

Just finished up for the second time, first on the Wii U version. Almost all garbage ratings, because I suck at the game. But it was a lot more fun that I remember, and I seemed to have forgotten about the majority of the second half of the game. The Jeanne fights especially; just amazing.
Not sure if I'll ever get to unlock the cool stuff though, it was an uphill battle just to get through the game on normal. Pretty excited to crack into the sequel in the coming week!

So did I. It had been like 4 1/2 years since I had last played it. It took me completely by surprise, this last time.

People always talk shit about Dead Space 1's infamous turret section, but Bayonetta's final chapter is truly the shittiest turret sequence I've ever played in a video game before.
I don't see what's that bad about the turret section. Bland and wholly inappropriate for a game like Bayonetta no doubt, but it's hardly difficult since jumping out of the turret as a missile that you may have missed is approaching still leaves you with more than enough time to climb back on top of it and retain the combo. Metal Slug tactics.

Curufinwe

There were console gamers actually couldn't get past that sequence in Dead Space and had to stop playing the game, so that makes it objectively worse than the one in Bayonetta.

Ninja Dom

So why isn't everyone just using Link costume every Chapter by default??

Honour?

Ninjas know no honour. Well we do but...,

Completed my Normal playthrough. Gonna start my Hard playthrough with permanent Link costume. Watch those Stone's get swapped with Pure Platinum's. Boom!!!

Once I got the parries nailed down in Revengeance I actually found the game fairly easy.

UrbanRats

Just did this sequence.
Fucking hated it with a passion, especially since i couldn't invert the aim.
Also hated the Space Harrier bit, that went on for eeeeeeeever.

Ninja Dom

Just did this sequence.
Fucking hated it with a passion, especially since i couldn't invert the aim.
Also hated the Space Harrier bit, that went on for eeeeeeeever.

Space Harrier/Galaxy Force/Afterburner part isn't as bad as Route 666. But yeah, they got it wrong with the length of both of these parts.

Oh and turrets part is absolutely fine. I watched Iconoclast's YouTube videos. You can press Evade to evade incoming missiles at the last split second and take no damage. Then hop back on the turret. Makes it so much easier knowing that.

UrbanRats

Space Harrier/Galaxy Force/Afterburner part isn't as bad as Route 666. But yeah, they got it wrong with the length of both of these parts.

Oh and turrets part is absolutely fine. I watched Iconoclast's YouTube videos. You can press Evade to evade incoming missiles at the last split second. Then hop back on the turret. Makes it so much easier knowing that.

I didn't mind route 666, the space harrier one gave me a headache, with all that spinning.

Even in Shenmue, i could do decent in HangOn, but i was shit in Space Harrier. :p

As for the turrets, it wasn't super difficult, just not fun at all, and as i said, the non-inverted aim was a constant annoyance.
It makes no sense that it doesn't invert it when i select "inverted Y in First Person" from the options.

Ninja Dom

I didn't mind route 666, the space harrier one gave me a headache, with all that spinning.

Even in Shenmue, i could do decent in HangOn, but i was shit in Space Harrier. :p

As for the turrets, it wasn't super difficult, just not fun at all, and as i said, the non-inverted aim was a constant annoyance.
It makes no sense that it doesn't invert it when i select "inverted Y in First Person" from the options.

A legitimate complaint with the controls that bug testers never thougt of. I guess that they never thought the "invert Y in First Person" applied to the turrets.

NEO0MJ

The Space Harrier part lasted way too long. I hope they don't overdo the sidegames in Bayonetta 2.

Oh and turrets part is absolutely fine. I watched Iconoclast's YouTube videos. You can press Evade to evade incoming missiles at the last split second and take no damage. Then hop back on the turret. Makes it so much easier knowing that.

It's not that it was hard or not, it was just so boring and ruined the pace.

Ninja Dom

I'm on a complete blackout on Bayonetta 2 until I got Bayonetta 1 absolutely locked fucking down (got B2 ready to go). And while I appreciate the nod to old Sega titles with those two sections in Bayonetta 1, I agree that they need to review their length if they are similar parts on Bayonetta 2.

I decided to replay Bayonetta 1 first before I play Bayo 2 and I gotta say, Bayonetta in Link's costume is..

...hnggggg so good

I'm on a complete blackout on Bayonetta 2 until I got Bayonetta 1 absolutely locked fucking down (got B2 ready to go). And while I appreciate the nod to old Sega titles with those two sections in Bayonetta 1, I agree that they need to review their length if they are similar parts on Bayonetta 2.
You won't have to worry about length.

mantidor

So Gracious and Glorious weren't as bad as I expected them to be, even though I cheated with a yellow lollipop at the very end because I was hanging by an inch of life. I was expecting a nice introduction though, I only knew the names because of this thread.

I'm in the rocket part and is blast, I don't get the complains.

Am I the only one that prefers Bayonetta 1 over 2? I mean 2 obviously runs better but I enjoy the challenge, bosses and stylized world over Bayonetta 2s bland somewhat bland environments.

JaseMath

GAF, I must say, getting good at Bayonetta is extremely satisfying. And here I was a week ago, nearly quitting the game for good. Glad I stuck with it. I think I finally get what all the fuss was about.

Corgi

Banned
question. for chapter 7 boss first part where you are beating up the arm while the other arm is shooting at you. how do you finish that without taking damage?

Rest of the fight the moves were easy to dodge and counter. I'm just confused for this part how to attack while evading. Don't think you can witch time here.

question. for chapter 7 boss first part where you are beating up the arm while the other arm is shooting at you. how do you finish that without taking damage?

Rest of the fight the moves were easy to dodge and counter. I'm just confused for this part how to attack while evading. Don't think you can witch time here.

I'm not sure entirely myself.

When he holds the plattform with one hand and is going to punch you, you can block the punch and the plattform will stay intact and witchtime is triggered, you can then move around other plattforms until you get to the bus to throw that at him, maybe you can also get close to his face and attack directly.

When he is holding the plattform with one hand and is slowly shooting it to bits then you can jump to another plattform at the last moment, QTE.

I'm actually not sure about the bright blast he is doing sometimes, sometimes I was able to interupt that attack by dealing enough damage to his hand before the plattform gets destroyed... ... I hope I'm not confusing that boss with fortitudo in some aspects...

Edit: Unrelated to that, I just now found out that I can shoot magic missiles in the rocket level... goddamn I'm slow on some of these things.

Am I the only one that prefers Bayonetta 1 over 2? I mean 2 obviously runs better but I enjoy the challenge, bosses and stylized world over Bayonetta 2s bland somewhat bland environments.
Personally, none of the big bosses are more enjoyable to me in Bayonetta 1, both in terms of spectacle (barring the final boss) and satisfactory patterns. Each game's respective
Golem boss fight
or
optional Rodin fight
being clear-cut examples of 2's superior execution, in my book. Jeanne and Balder were admittedly great, but even humanoid bosses have been considerably improved upon with Bayonetta 2 in my opinion. A fair bit of 1's challenge on higher difficulties originates from cheap design too: triple
Gracious and Glorious
on Route 666 would be an enjoyable uphill battle in itself... if it weren't for the constant incoming traffic to the point you have to stick on a thin sidestrip to avoid car collisions. Which as a result gives the already fickle camera a tendency to spazz out if you're not careful. Then they throw multiple Joys at you (another fun enemy design) elsewhere in very claustrophobic rooms, making their range very unforgiving if you don't know what to do. Then there's babysitting Cereza and enemies enveloped in fire also hamper the general combat flow; the latter didn't feel rewarding to beat at all with how Witch Time-reliant those encounters were for prolonged close-range combos until I read about some obscure utility from the claws. On that note: I liked that not every attack triggered Witch Time upon a dodge like it does in Bayonetta 2 since it forced you to look into parries to overcome specific enemy types, but if I had to choose between that or a superior camera with a more fluent framerate on top of more gradual / sensible difficulty spikes and various fluff cut out, then it's not even a contest for me.

Aside from the turn-around tune, I do miss a number of Bayonetta 1's tools, however. 2's weapons all feel very impactful and some are even marked improvements over how they were implemented in the original (
look no further than the whip
), but the
flamethrower that also shoots ice
for me doesn't compare to the
Grace & Glory claws
in 1 for example, and cool weaponry like 1's
nun-chucks or ice skates
are unfortunately absent.

UrbanRats

Just did chapter xvi, and i got a gold.. i'm pretty happy with how i did
Father Baldy
, since i tried to practice with Moon Parry, and parried about 60% of the attacks. :p
May seem lousy to y'all, but for my standards, it's pretty nice and, most importantly, it felt good.

UrbanRats

So i beat the game, and i liked the last battle, although i fucked up the final sequence because
i thought you had to nail all of the planets for maximum damage, whereas you just had to avoid them up until the Sun.
Anyway, i was looking forward to play the game as Jeanne, but
i just looked and you have to get all platinums...
lol that ain't happenin'.
At least i can get a surrogate of her costume.

BadWolf

So i beat the game, and i liked the last battle, although i fucked up the final sequence because
i thought you had to nail all of the planets for maximum damage, whereas you just had to avoid them up until the Sun.
Anyway, i was looking forward to play the game as Jeanne, but
i just looked and you have to get all platinums...
lol that ain't happenin'.
At least i can get a surrogate of her costume.

There's an alternate method to get Jeanne and many of the other unlockables:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/946345-bayonetta/cheats

BadWolf

Also, when i finish a level i notice that, often, many verses are missing, what's up with that? You can skip parts of a level?

Means you missed fights.

Sometimes additional battles are triggered by back tracking etc.

Those challenge portals also count as fights so if you skip them then that is also counted as a miss.

Capra

Must have meant pure platinum, you can still get hit/take damage and still get platinum.

I'm not that hardcore yet, but having to redo those segments at more or less a fixed timeframe every time just to get a shot at Platinuming
Jeanne
is almost enough for me to take back every wish I've ever had for a Kamiya-directed Star Fox.
Fortunately he doesn't want to do it anymore either so we've probably been spared.

BadWolf

I'm not that hardcore yet, but having to redo those segments at more or less a fixed timeframe every time just to get a shot at Platinuming
Jeanne
is almost enough for me to take back every wish I've ever had for a Kamiya-directed Star Fox.
Fortunately he doesn't want to do it anymore either so we've probably been spared.

You don't have to redo the entire chapter to retry a verse/fight.

The game saves often so if you aren't doing well during a fight, like Jeanne in your case, just quit to the main menu and select continue. You will start at the beginning of that fight and can try again.

I've been enjoying my first Bayonetta 1 playthrough and am looking forward to starting 2 after I beat the first game.

I'm stuck on the challenge portal where you have a limited number of kicks and punches to defeat the enemies. I've been trying to beat all these challenges as I go, but this one seems especially hopeless.

Any tips for beating it? Or would I miss much just to skip it? I assume it unlocks the last piece of a golden record I need for a new weapon.

I've been enjoying my first Bayonetta 1 playthrough and am looking forward to starting 2 after I beat the first game.

I'm stuck on the challenge portal where you have a limited number of kicks and punches to defeat the enemies. I've been trying to beat all these challenges as I go, but this one seems especially hopeless.

Any tips for beating it? Or would I miss much just to skip it? I assume it unlocks the last piece of a golden record I need for a new weapon.

Use the electric Durga explosions on your hands or pkp with Shuraba, both are the fastest ways of killing enemies with a single/repeating move (kilgore glitch aside), look them up on youtube if you still have trouble completing them.

Dreavus

Playing through this again and I just had to laugh at the QTEs so far. The one at the end of chapter II (?) where you're in the chapel is just hilarious - instant death if you miss time it and it happens right at the end of the fucking level. What was the purpose of this?! I'm so glad they came to their senses in the second game.

Corgi

Banned
jesus that highway level. Love the music that sounds almost like mute city, but the worst deaths in a game are the ones that you have no clue how you died.

like one second im full health, and next im near zero health. might have grazed the big babies or something no clue.

man the next chapter where you fight the 2 ships.

I'm mashing R after the cutscene, yet I still get hit by all the missles. come on now :/

mantidor

Finished!

I got bronze overall, which surprised me because 80% of chapters are stone heh

Now I don't know if I should jump to Bayonetta 2 or try this one again on hard.

Corgi

Banned
man, this is just one of the games I enjoy, yet openly curse out loud all the time.

curse at my shit reflexes. curse at frustrating encounters. curse at dumb mini game stuff.

yet I'm still playing.

how many chapters are in this?

mantidor

man, this is just one of the games I enjoy, yet openly curse out loud all the time.

curse at my shit reflexes. curse at frustrating encounters. curse at dumb mini game stuff.

yet I'm still playing.

how many chapters are in this?

XVI and an Epilogue.

Corgi

Banned
k, then im about 2/3 or so, but some chapters are just a big boss fight, so who knows.

might give some of the costumes a try now that i kinda have a decent hang of the default setup.

bobohoro

Finished!

I got bronze overall, which surprised me because 80% of chapters are stone heh

Now I don't know if I should jump to Bayonetta 2 or try this one again on hard.

I had stone in 12/16 chapters and overall got bronze too, nice gesture, made me feel a bit less sucky.

Get on Bayonetta 2! Game is awesome and if you jump into normal you will also do way better there. I don't know yet if I can really go back to Bayo1 afterwards, but I'd also wager that I wouldn't be able to unlock everything in both games back to back, since they are quite meaty, so I prefered to go for the newer game personally.

I got a poor combo score by doing this but I equipped the shuraba and durga on my feet, then dodged to activate witch time and did the pkp combo but held the first punch to charge the sword fully and the same with the kick. After doing this twice I just finished the enemy with a few punches/kicks.

Top Bottom