• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

BadWolf

Goddamnit you can't put stuff in the third slot, so i just wasted 100k on Dinéta. :(

You don't need to have it equipped at all times. Just equip to get some health back and then equip something else.

And it's honestly only really useful for The Lost Chapter (this game's Bloody Palace).

hunnies28

Just beat the game last night. The last boss was shockingly easy. I only died twice the entire chapter:
once on the Jeanne bike jumping section and once when I knocked the boss into the sun... I swear I thought it was a cut scene

Ha, I got the same deaths on the chapter. I even told my GF, sometimes you have to hit everything, so I guess I must hit all planets. Nope.

Fireblend

Banned
Just got this with Bayonetta 2 and decided to check it out first. Is it normal to suck this much? I made it to chapter V but I get killed all the time, and those challenge arenas are impossible! Will I get better with more equipment/techniques? It feels really good to get a good combo going, but it seems the game is very punishing for missing a good dodge opportunity...

Also, how do I get more weapons? I have a sword and an extra gun set, but I dunno if I'm supposed to be hunting down those LP things or if they show up as part of the normal progression...

popyea

Just got this with Bayonetta 2 and decided to check it out first. Is it normal to suck this much? I made it to chapter V but I get killed all the time, and those challenge arenas are impossible! Will I get better with more equipment/techniques? It feels really good to get a good combo going, but it seems the game is very punishing for missing a good dodge opportunity...

Also, how do I get more weapons? I have a sword and an extra gun set, but I dunno if I'm supposed to be hunting down those LP things or if they show up as part of the normal progression...

Some of the LP's are in obvious locations that are hard to miss, but others are actually hidden. Others still are only obtained by completing certain conditions (ie. completing the game on Hard). If you're not fussed, just look up what the requirements for each are and you won't miss them that way.

Adaren

Just got this with Bayonetta 2 and decided to check it out first. Is it normal to suck this much? I made it to chapter V but I get killed all the time, and those challenge arenas are impossible!.

Yep. Bayonetta 1 is brutally difficult at the start. Chapters 3, 4, and 5 are probably the worst offenders by far. Bayonetta 2 has a much more consistent difficulty curve.

That said, as long as you're having fun, I recommend playing through Bayonetta 1 first. You'll get better with time. :D If you're feeling motivated, practice the "Dodge Offset" explained in the OP (and the in-game technique book). It isn't necessary, but it's a fairly easy "advanced" technique to learn and will open up the combat system a lot.

Seik

Banned
I got trapped in some weird glitch(?) during the last boss.

After turning two 'tentacles' of Jubileus to stone, or grey, or whatever. She spawned a big rolling ball of ice and cast ice spells repetitively. I got crushed once by that stone then I got caught in a cycle of getting crushed/getting frozen and I wasn't able to do ANYTHING all the way until my energy completely depleted.

It felt salty and chose to go back to it tomorrow with a clear mind. :p

I got trapped in some weird glitch(?) during the last boss.

After turning two 'tentacles' of Jubileus to stone, or grey, or whatever. She spawned a big rolling ball of ice and cast ice spells repetitively. I got crushed once by that stone then I got caught in a cycle of getting crushed/getting frozen and I wasn't able to do ANYTHING all the way until my energy completely depleted.

It felt salty and chose to go back to it tomorrow with a clear mind. :p

Also happened to me, funny thing is that never happened to me on 360.

On a sidenote, I just discovered that you can shoot the engines of the large turbine rotorblades on the plane, where an Alfheim Portal is at the end. After 70 hours of gameplay (combined 360 and WiiU gameplay-time), I always thought I had to trigger witchtime to run through the blades, which is not as easy on Infinite Climax.... damn I feel stupid lol

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Wow, going from the PS3 port to this version, it's like I'm playing a completely different game. I'm pulling off Bat Withins with so much ease. I rarely got them to work on the PS3 port when I wanted to but in this version the responsiveness feels so much better.

The Hermit

Yeah, this game is really that impressively good. This is one of the few games that I havent played from Kamiya and the constant claim that it was his masterpiece always made me jealous... Until now.

Just finished normal lacking a ton of secret verses, so I'll probably play a bit more... Actually I kinda want ro keep playing this for a long time before I even touch the sequel.
I am really in love with it.

I love this game, such fun and challenging gameplay. But I hate the input lag so much. Game literally goes to slow motion in parts. Fuck you Platinum for not nailing the framerate and fuck you Nintendo for your weak hardware.

Ninja Dom

Anyone noticed the similarities between the city/country of Vigrid (Bayonetta) and the city/country of Vigoor (Ninja Gaiden)?

Both are supposed to be in Europe, both have contrast olde style and world architecture mixed with modern technology and both are mythical and spiritual places. And they almost sound the same.

UrbanRats

Anyone noticed the similarities between the city/country of Vigrid (Bayonetta) and the city/country of Vigoor (Ninja Gaiden)?

Both are supposed to be in Europe, both have contrast olde style and world architecture mixed with modern technology and both are mythical and spiritual places. And they almost sound the same.

Yeah, i thought about that, too.

I love this game, such fun and challenging gameplay. But I hate the input lag so much. Game literally goes to slow motion in parts. Fuck you Platinum for not nailing the framerate and fuck you Nintendo for your weak hardware.
It has nothing to do with the Wii U and every bit with Platinum not having optimized Bayonetta 1. The Xbox 360 version isn't any better in this regard, despite the sacrifices it made at the expense of its overall picture quality like frequent screen-tearing. Consistent framerate has never been Platinum's forté.

Bayonetta 2's performance on the other hand blows it out of the water. It's kind of staggering how big the difference is: it feels much smoother than B1, never (barring extreme situational circumstances) drops down to B1's level of bad framerates while also looking better and showing more simultaneous action on-screen than B1.

It has nothing to do with the Wii U and every bit with Platinum not having optimized Bayonetta 1. The Xbox 360 version isn't any better in this regard, despite the sacrifices it made at the expense of its overall picture quality like frequent screen-tearing. Consistent framerate has never been Platinum's forté.

Bayonetta 2's performance on the other hand blows it out of the water. It's kind of staggering how big the difference is: it feels much smoother than B1, never (barring extreme situational circumstances) drops down to B1's level of bad framerates while also looking better and showing more simultaneous action on-screen than B1.

The problem I have with the Wii U version is V-Sync. It is great in most areas, but when the framerate gets bad (There is no excuse for chapter 2) it introduces a ton of input lag which is really bad for this type of game. 360 version trades that for horrible amounts of tearing. I am not sure which of the two I prefer. Platinum really deserves to get called out for their lack of optimization in general.

According to DF Bayonetta 2 runs worse? I hope your impressions are accurate, I will not start with it before finishing B1 again.

Default costume is best costume.

Agreed. Tried Link costume but didn't feel it.

UrbanRats

Did Route 666, not as bad as i was expecting from the comments, got gold on that
bike segment
, which was sort of funny, but went on too long.
Fighting
joy with the traffic coming in
was definitely the hardest moment, which is where i died once, only getting bronze for the whole chapter. :\

matm666

I just beat the game and unlocked hard mode, I notice I can replay my finished save on hard mode.

So can I go directly to the last chapter and beat the game on hard mode and unlock the next dificult level and weapon. Or do I need a new save and start from the beggining?

Kinsei

Banned
I just beat the game and unlocked hard mode, I notice I can replay my finished save on hard mode.

So can I go directly to the last chapter and beat the game on hard mode and unlock the next dificult level and weapon. Or do I need a new save and start from the beggining?

You can do it on your current save, but you have to beat every chapter not just the final one. The only reason to start over (other than for the challenge) is if you wanted to use one of the
unlockable characters.

UrbanRats

Aesthetically yes. Link costume having Moon of Mahamanadodododo built in means I can have counter + Eternal Testimony + Gaze of Despair at once though, so that's become my default.

Is gaze of despair just to show off, or does it have any real benefit? Well, i guess it could get the combo counter higher.

EDIT: Also forgot to ask, i just noticed there's a whole crafting section in the menu, but i'm not really getting how it works... and how i take those green/yellow/red ingredients (i have some, i don't where i got them from).

Seik

Banned
Slightly lower average frame rate for some sections, but it's massively more consistent than Bayonetta 1.

I feel the same way, bayo 2 always have this feeling of fluidity all the way through while Bayo 1 have specific spots where the game just goes slow-motion.

Ninja Dom

Did Route 666, not as bad as i was expecting from the comments, got gold on that
bike segment
Fighting
was definitely the hardest moment, which is where i died once, only getting bronze for the whole chapter. :\

Nah, Route 666 was straight up boring. Way too long. Just let me get back to doing combos and perfecting Dodge Offset.

Capra

Is gaze of despair just to show off, or does it have any real benefit? Well, i guess it could get the combo counter higher.

Yeah, it's basically there to get x9.9 combos. Also I feel like I play better when enemy attacks are more immediate.

Edit: Crafting is pretty useless since you get penalized for using items anyway, but basically it's just a way to convert those ingredients into lollipops. I think you rotate the left stick to put more of each thing towards a better item, then press a button to convert them. The recipe list is on the side. Like I said, the game punishes you for using items anyway so I don't even know why it's there but you also get an Umbran Tear from crafting enough so there's that.

mantidor

Finally got it!

I just played the prologue and got silver which surprise me because I'm pretty bad at this kind of games. Can't wait to continue.

Adaren

Yeah, it's basically there to get x9.9 combos. Also I feel like I play better when enemy attacks are more immediate.

Just to clarify, your combo multiplier can go higher than x9.9. Visually it caps there, but there's no actual cap on how high the multiplier can go.

UrbanRats

Nah, Route 666 was straight up boring. Way too long. Just let me get back to doing combos and perfecting Dodge Offset.
I get why people don't like it, especially if you're playing for score, but i thought it was a fun change of pace.
As i said, it just went on for too long.

Edit: Crafting is pretty useless since you get penalized for using items anyway, but basically it's just a way to convert those ingredients into lollipops. I think you rotate the left stick to put more of each thing towards a better item, then press a button to convert them. The recipe list is on the side. Like I said, the game punishes you for using items anyway so I don't even know why it's there but you also get an Umbran Tear from crafting enough so there's that.
Thanks, it made me craft a couple of green lollipops, but when i filled up the other two colors (wanted to try and craft other objects) it didn't give me a prompt to craft anything, maybe i can only craft one item per chapter, or something.

Capra

I get why people don't like it, especially if you're playing for score, but i thought it was a fun change of pace.
As i said, it just went on for too long.

Thanks, it made me craft a couple of green lollipops, but when i filled up the other two colors (wanted to try and craft other objects) it didn't give me a prompt to craft anything, maybe i can only craft one item per chapter, or something.

Nah, you just put in an invalid configuration. The crafting is mostly monochromatic except for the last one (the whistle or whatever). It's really bare bones even compared to W101's crafting (which itself was pretty useless except for making credit cards).

Was there actually an official guide for the original release of Bayonetta? A Google search yeilds a supposed hardcover guide, but the only place I see it for sale is on Amazon marketplace for hundreds of dollars (what?!). I dont even see any current or past sales for such a book on ebay. I have the official guides for W101, Mad World, Vanquish and MGR, and I am getting the Bayonetta 2 guide soon, so I feel like I should have this one too, but damn.

The problem I have with the Wii U version is V-Sync. It is great in most areas, but when the framerate gets bad (There is no excuse for chapter 2) it introduces a ton of input lag which is really bad for this type of game. 360 version trades that for horrible amounts of tearing. I am not sure which of the two I prefer. Platinum really deserves to get called out for their lack of optimization in general.

According to DF Bayonetta 2 runs worse? I hope your impressions are accurate, I will not start with it before finishing B1 again.
I'm well aware of the integrated vsync, but the majority of the areas that perform badly on Wii U hardly run any better on the 360 version if at all from the videos I've seen, especially the final few chapters.

Regarding Bayonetta 2: the variable framerate is noticeable for someone who's sensitive to such fluctuations and it's no surprise since all of Platinum's console titles have them, but 2 at its worst still isn't anywhere close to 1's miserable condition when it reaches one of its (many) technical lowpoints. The times it drops to less than 30 (and well below that mark like Bayonetta 1 does) are far less common comparatively speaking, so I settled for that even if ideally I would've liked to see 60 throughout the whole shebang. I certainly never felt like the framerate (and the camera for that matter) was my enemy in 2 though, much less to the extent of Bayonetta 1.

bike segment
Fighting
On Hard difficulty the
Joys
get replaced by
three Gracious and Glorious
enemies, FYI. Fun times.

BadWolf

Was there actually an official guide for the original release of Bayonetta? A Google search yeilds a supposed hardcover guide, but the only place I see it for sale is on Amazon marketplace for hundreds of dollars (what?!). I dont even see any current or past sales for such a book on ebay. I have the official guides for Vanquish and MGR, and I am getting the Bayonetta 2 guide soon, so I feel like I should have this one too, but damn.

Yeah, it's rare and expensive now.

Supposed to be really good from what I've heard.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Skipped the PS3 version of this game(glad I did because of the performance issues), but just beat it on the U.

It was a great game. Story was a bit all over the place but I really enjoyed the game, can't wait to get going on Bayo 2. I also love the Bayonetta version of "Fly me to the Moon", it always gets stuck in my head.

Ninja Dom

I'm gonna ask a pretty dumb story related question.

If all the Lumen Sages and Umbra Witches died out 500 years ago, then just where are all the monsters and bosses throughout the game coming from? Why are these monsters/bosses trying to kill Bayonetta?

Story Spoiler:
Are they simply sent by Father to recover the Left Eye off Bayonetta?

bobohoro

Paradiso/Inferno are seperate realms from Chaos where humans (which include Lumen Sages and Umbra Witches) reside. So angels and demons exist without the need to be summoned by sages/witches and they have their own agenda. When Bayonetta resurfaced paradiso set out to revive their god Jubileus to recreate the world and therefore started their hunt for Bayonetta. They manipulated Jeanne to awaken Bayonetta and I guess Balder helped them, or had his own agenda, or stuff. It seems Bayonetta 2 gives some more background info on those issues.

That's my understanding of it, at least.

guek

Banned
Finally got around to starting this game. It's great fun but after the Bayo2 demo, the color palette is really drab. The game is a blast to play but I'm excited to see what Bayo2 does with more color.

mantidor

My beginner's luck ended with chapter IV. I was getting bronze and even one silver, but bastards Grace and Glory ended my happiness. I basically spam breakdance and hope for avoiding their combos. Is there any way to break them?

My beginner's luck ended with chapter IV. I was getting bronze and even one silver, but bastards Grace and Glory ended my happiness. I basically spam breakdance and hope for avoiding their combos. Is there any way to break them?

Witch Time man. You can launch them with PPKP combo and then get some hits in while they're in the air too

RIP in peace when you run into Gracious and Glorious

If all the Lumen Sages and Umbra Witches died out 500 years ago, then just where are all the monsters and bosses throughout the game coming from? Why are these monsters/bosses trying to kill Bayonetta?

Story Spoiler:

Paradiso/Inferno are seperate realms from Chaos where humans (which include Lumen Sages and Umbra Witches) reside. So angels and demons exist without the need to be summoned by sages/witches and they have their own agenda. When Bayonetta resurfaced paradiso set out to revive their god Jubileus to recreate the world and therefore started their hunt for Bayonetta. They manipulated Jeanne to awaken Bayonetta and I guess Balder helped them, or had his own agenda, or stuff. It seems Bayonetta 2 gives some more background info on those issues.

That's my understanding of it, at least.

Balder needs Bayonetta in order to revive Jubileus. He used Luka's father to discover her, and when the time for the "festival of resurrection" came, he sent legions of angels (who are following him because they need his resources in the human world to carry out the resurrection), Jeanne, and young Cereza to her so he could awaken her power.

Astral Dog

Story Spoiler:

They are sent so that Bayonetta can kill them , become more powerful, and regain her memories so that she can become the Left Eye, Angels and Demons can still interact with the world without the witches and sages, the reason Bayonetta only encounters Angels its because Vigrid became a stronghold for them, without the witches the Angels gained influence over the world,and planned to resurrect their God, for that they need the Eyes of the World,and the help of Balder.

UrbanRats

Just started chapter 1 for this. How long is this game (in both chapters and hours)?

It should be
chapters.
I'm taking it slow, and i am at chapter
, with around 9 hours (3 at least of these were of farming and replaying old chapters, though).

Samus costume is the best. I never grow tired of flipping the visor during cut scenes.

I'm only a few chapters in, but this game is just pure fun. I can't wait to see what's in-store in the sequel.

At the moment I always block every attack they start except for the whirlwind spinning attack, I dodge that with the evil harvest rosary accessory.
They have basically 2 main attacks you should be aware of, one is the delayed ground swipe which flips you in the air, you have to delay your dodge/block too but they telegraph these attacks (like most attacks) so you will get used to that with practise.

The second attack is the air dash, if they missed you and are now in the air, sometimes above the visible screen, then you have to immediately dodge again as they will always dash towards you after that. That's like a 3 punch attack they do and if you dodge you have to doge 3 times (except if you use witchtime as you can attack after the first dodge). If you use the moon of kalahabilalala then you can interupt their attacks right in the beginning.

If you have some practise and know how to do some combos then I can only advise you to use the evil harvest accessory and forget about witchtime so you learn the patterns of the enemies. If you always dodge the first attack and get in witchtime mode then you never really get used to the timing of their attacks + if you get your timing down you will parry and this will activate witchtime even with the accessory.

Grace & Glory (and their more dangerous version) become powerless once you know how they attack and you can literally stand right next to both and just block every attack they start.

mantidor

Witch Time man. You can launch them with PPKP combo and then get some hits in while they're in the air too

RIP in peace when you run into Gracious and Glorious

Yeah I'm getting better and do witch time as much as possible, but they are still hard.

At the moment I always block every attack they start except for the whirlwind spinning attack, I dodge that with the evil harvest rosary accessory.
They have basically 2 main attacks you should be aware of, one is the delayed ground swipe which flips you in the air, you have to delay your dodge/block too but they telegraph these attacks (like most attacks) so you will get used to that with practise.

The second attack is the air dash, if they missed you and are now in the air, sometimes above the visible screen, then you have to immediately dodge again as they will always dash towards you after that. That's like a 3 punch attack they do and if you dodge you have to doge 3 times (except if you use witchtime as you can attack after the first dodge). If you use the moon of kalahabilalala then you can interupt their attacks right in the beginning.

If you have some practise and know how to do some combos then I can only advise you to use the evil harvest accessory and forget about witchtime so you learn the patterns of the enemies. If you always dodge the first attack and get in witchtime mode then you never really get used to the timing of their attacks + if you get your timing down you will parry and this will activate witchtime even with the accessory.

Grace & Glory (and their more dangerous version) become powerless once you know how they attack and you can literally stand right next to both and just block every attack they start.

I feel incredibly dumb.

You can block? How? Tutorials never mentioned it :(

Top Bottom