• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

zma1013

I need tips for fighting the claw hand brothers. They kick my arse everytime. I end up just spamming items until i outlast them.

bobohoro

Be patient, never greedy. Learning dodge offset so you can get to your Wicked Weaves faster and safer is also nice. And if you downed one, get those claws, they do amazing damage on the other.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Jeanne fights aren't boring, they're just kinda overrated. (Balder the real best boss fight in the game)

best Jeanne fight is Jeanne 3 anyways. She gets a motorcycle phase so the fight isn't over in like 2 seconds like the rest of them

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man that fucking 666 battle on the highway wrecked me between not having a handle on the animations of those stupid angels and the cars speeding by bashing into us with what I swear were inaccurate hitboxes

They have them. They are just more user friendly

OK good. The only parts I didn't like in the 2 levels I mentioned are this one section where you literally can't see where you're supposed to land until you've either landed or fallen in the hole between the two roads in Route 666 and the parts in Chapter 14 where it's nothing but green bullet spam. Even then, they're a billion times better than most of the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
OK good. The only parts I didn't like in the 2 levels I mentioned are this one section where you literally can't see where you're supposed to land until you've either landed or fallen in the hole between the two roads in Route 666 and the parts in Chapter 14 where it's nothing but green bullet spam. Even then, they're a billion times better than most of the game.

yeah on NSIC space harrier is overwhelming lol

IKizzLE

I need tips for fighting the claw hand brothers. They kick my arse everytime. I end up just spamming items until i outlast them.
Equip the katana to hands and Durga to feet. Mash PKP over and over. Hold the k part and if you see one of them going to attack you, dodge then mash p for the wicked weave to come out.

If that doesn't work, buy the moon accessory for parrying.
if you don't have enough halos, use the Kilgore glitch.

Absolutely loving the game one of the best I've ever played, proper glad I never owned a ps360 so I can play this (presumably) difinitive version fresh, seriously though FUCK THE QTE BITS

hao chi

Anyone have any tips for defeating the golden Grace and Glory enemies in chapter 10? I always get killed by them.

Electric Durga on your will prevent you from taking damage from the electricity on the ground that Glory causes. Other than that, just mainly try to hit them with Wicked Weaves. Use PKP a lot, and use Dodge Offset to skip the attack animations for the first two attacks in the combo, then hit them with the Wicked Weave.

Also, the Evil Harvest Rosary is useful for them. It'll leave an orb that explodes and does damage when you dodge attacks, which is nice whenever Witch Time isn't possible.

jyoung188

Just finished it for my first time. Made it through on normal with 1 gold, 4 silvers, 5 bronze and the rest stone, with an overall of bronze. This game was fucking mind blowing, I played through this game in two 5+ hour sittings which I NEVER do with 99% of other games. I don't know how I didn't play more of this when it came out. I can't fucking wait to play 2 now!

hunnies28

Played the first 2 chapters of Bayon 2 on 2nd climax (normal?) but then decided to play Bayo 1, also in normal. After beating Bayo 1, Bayo 2 seems easir in comparisson with bigger time windows for dodging/countering. Unless 2nd climax is not really normal difficulty?

Corgi

Banned
woah that was completely bullshit. Died right after I took the ch4 boss down to zero health.

didn't realize i have to live for a few more seconds until the QTE prompt.

#stone4life

JohngPR

Beat this for the first time.

I played a little less than half of this game on 360, and stopped playing when something else came out. Although I liked it back then, it really clicked with me this time around.

The game is bananas, but it's so much fun. What I love about this game is that although it's challenging the game doesn't demand perfection from you, just execution. I'll probably play some other stuff in between before I jump into Bayonetta 2 right away so I don't get burned out. I won't wait too long though...probably a good idea to take advantage of the little bit of skill I've honed playing the first.

:p

marvel8797

Neo Member
Played the first 2 chapters of Bayon 2 on 2nd climax (normal?) but then decided to play Bayo 1, also in normal. After beating Bayo 1, Bayo 2 seems easir in comparisson with bigger time windows for dodging/countering. Unless 2nd climax is not really normal difficulty?

2nd climax is normal, yes. bayo 2 2nd climax is gonna seem easy by comparison, but that may be because you're going into it with everything you've learned gameplay wise from the first one.

personally I dove into bayo 2 on 3rd climax immediately. playing 3rd climax raw, whew, that was rough but I kept coming back for more.

zma1013

This is a really stellar game. Haven't played an action/adventure fighter this good since Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. Some of the city environments and architecture reminds me of the of the city in NG a lot. Nostalgia there I guess. I honestly didn't think I'd ever see a game that could be considered a match in the depth and complexity of that combat system. I mean, I've played the God of War games, and the DMC games and whatnot but they were never quite on the same level, but this game is I think. It actually has a lot of similarities pulled from many of those games and put together amazingly with it's own style and improvements injected all throughout. Glad I held out and decided against playing the PS3 version.

JaseMath

I've been noticing on the internet—and maybe it's just me—but lots of self-proclaimed Bayonetta experts come off as elitist pricks. It's one of the hardest games to master I've ever played.

Mohonky

I've been noticing on the internet—and maybe it's just me—but lots of self-proclaimed Bayonetta experts come off as elitist pricks. It's one of the hardest games to master I've ever played.

Some games tend to attract such types.

The one phrase that shits me when people ask for help is "just get good" which is the least helpful and moronic statement someone can make.

Beat the game! Good stuff. Got stone medals on several chapters, looking forward to replaying to platinum them. Will probably finish Shadow Warrior and The Evil Within before jumping into Bayo 2 but we'll see

Finally up to the last chapter, Normal seem just about right to be in regards to difficulty, that boss run at the end was kind of rough but I had a bunch of power ups saved up. Also Jeannes battle themes are amazing.

The colours look so dull on the gamepad though, and the resolution of the screen, it's just terrible overall in my opinion.

I guess it's just cause I notice the aliasing a good deal on my TV (I sit about ~6ft away) but on the gamepad this game is so smooth looking. There is some blandness to the color but still (maybe I'm just giddy over Bayo on a handheld).

IKizzLE

This is a really stellar game. Haven't played an action/adventure fighter this good since Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. Some of the city environments and architecture reminds me of the of the city in NG a lot. Nostalgia there I guess. I honestly didn't think I'd ever see a game that could be considered a match in the depth and complexity of that combat system. I mean, I've played the God of War games, and the DMC games and whatnot but they were never quite on the same level, but this game is I think. It actually has a lot of similarities pulled from many of those games and put together amazingly with it's own style and improvements injected all throughout. Glad I held out and decided against playing the PS3 version.
Yup, it's a hybrid of devil may cry and ninja gaiden.
It has the combo potential of the dmc games with the forward momentum and aggressive enemies of ninja gaiden.

To me, bayonwtta is the the best action series ever created.

Maulik

Just finished bayo 1 and I gotta say, terrific game engine marred by some terrible design decisions.

1st, having insta death QTE's is total bullshit in such a game when the sublime combat can suffice.

2nd, the fact that the scoring system for the game penalizes based those same insta deaths and use of items is ridic. The system should reward those that take risks than simply rewarding sticking to a simple attack pattern. Would have preferred a DMC 3 system that focuses on variety rather than just damage, death and items.

Corgi

Banned
I do like/hate how there are new enemy types thrown at you all the time lol.

makes you wonder how ubisoft can get away with their ass creed games that are made by thousands of people with just 4 or so enemy types.

god damn that jean ch5 boss fight. took 4 tries.

I think i finally starting to get dodge offset a bit. Just the most basic of punch kick hold dodge punch.

#stone4life

Holy shit at Chapter 14.

I've never made it past that part before, and that boss fight was absolutely God-tier. My hands hurt and I think I'm sweating a little, too. I haven't had that much fun in a fight since the...I think it was the
Jetstream Sam
fight in Revengeance.

Absolutely brilliant. Totally worth going past that terribly-long Space Harrier section.

popyea

Just finished bayo 1 and I gotta say, terrific game engine marred by some terrible design decisions.

1st, having insta death QTE's is total bullshit in such a game when the sublime combat can suffice.

2nd, the fact that the scoring system for the game penalizes based those same insta deaths and use of items is ridic. The system should reward those that take risks than simply rewarding sticking to a simple attack pattern. Would have preferred a DMC 3 system that focuses on variety rather than just damage, death and items.

You might be misunderstanding how the scoring works. It does reward taking risks, as you're penalised for performing the same combos. Using healing or buff items is obviously not risky, so why should it not penalise you for that? Are you thinking "items" refers to accessories or something?

What's the benefit of parrying with the accessory if you can just dodge and go witch time if you see it coming anyway?
Witch Time won't trigger against certain enemies or attacks regardless of how often you correctly time a dodge. The parry makes those instances a little easier to cope with; if you just 'succesfully' block something, an enemy will be briefly vulnerable since they'll stagger for like a split second. Plus there's also a window of opportunity to still activate Witch Time by pulling off a parry as late as you can so that you automatically follow it up with a counter-attack of sorts. Think Metal Gear Rising if I'm making it sound confusing. Witch Time through a parry also feels longer in duration than Witch Time via a dodge, but that may be my imagination.

It's a very helpful tool against the likes of Gracious & Glorious or boss encounters like Jeanne, and you'll feel handicapped without it on higher-than-Normal difficulties.

MrBS

I finally starting playing this today (thanks pax). Yikes I'm rusty. Was I ever good at this game? It took far too many attempts to clear that first Alfheim

Finished it. Loved it. Known issues aside, Bayonetta still holds up well and is just amazing to play, really looking forward to starting 2 in the coming days, since I can really live without the alternate gameplay sections and sudden death QTEs.

Is there no way to skip cutscenes faster then with the select -> skip -> yes route? Seems really annoying if you want to play for Plats and stuff.

On 360 it was RT+Back to skip cutscenes without going into the menue iirc. Don't know if that works on WiiU as I haven't tried it out yet, should be "-" instead of back I suppose.

Except there's a very short time frame when you can actually dodge and continue the combo. If you don't dodge within the first moments of the hold, it seems to drop the combo soon as you recover from the dodge.

Yes, my problem was more that I always let go of the attack button, not the timing itself :)

I find myself often using torture attacks on them as they halve their health on normal so 2 torture attacks kill them. One thing to note, on higher difficulties they can strip you off all of your health with a combo so it's very helpful to get used to blocking their attacks as this is the only way that can help you in certain situations I believe (when they punch you into the air this was often the only thing to stop their attacks)

man this game makes me feel so down.

Like this would have been the perfect game for me in highschool/college where I had time to master everything and keep coming back to. But now adult life is packed, and my backlog is growing exponentially.

no time for mastery of games no more :(

There is a simple answer to that, just don't play some of those inferior games and voila, you have enough time for the good stuff ;)

Corgi

Banned
man this game makes me feel so down.

Like this would have been the perfect game for me in highschool/college where I had time to master everything and keep coming back to. But now adult life is packed, and my backlog is growing exponentially.

NEO0MJ

Decided to replay this game before moving to Bayo 2. Can't believe that I got caught again by
the Dragon's fireball in the QTE at the end of chapter 2. I have never ever dodged it on my first try :(

Don't fret, game isn't really that hard. Just learn to mash punch and hold it when dodging.

popyea

Decided to replay this game before moving to Bayo 2. Can't believe that I got caught again by
the Dragon's fireball in the QTE at the end of chapter 2. I have never ever dodged it on my first try :(

Don't fret, game isn't really that hard. Just learn to mash punch and hold it when dodging.

I think he means getting PP's and generally becoming awesome at the game. What you said just sounds like advice for passing it.

danmaku

do you unlock things to make bayonetta less squishy?

You can collect (and/or buy) witch hearts to increase your life bar. There's also an item that activates witch time automatically when you get hit (if you have some magic meter left). Aside from that, if you have trouble surviving just craft a ton of healing and invincibility lollipops.

Another anectode to blocking vs dodging, I just tried it yesterday in the early level where the flying Head with two serpent heads kills the other 2 witches after you dodged the meteors and got to the bridge (the sequence that is more of a memory-sequence).
Normally I walk towards the bridge while firing at the angel and then start fighting after the witches are eaten/killed. This time I just stood there near the start and tried to block the meteors and send them back at it. After a few blocks the sequence was stopped and the angel flew away withouth killing the other 2 witches, pure platinum on normal... it's very effective.

UrbanRats

I tried Chapter VI two more times, with the Link costume (to get used tot he parry a bit), mostly to farm... and finally got a gold award, yay!
Also tried Chapter II (or was it III?) again, but died, again, at the damn QTE of
the dragon spitting a fireball at you
Goddamnit.

150k rupees, almost there.

Top Bottom