• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

SparkTR

Finally up to the last chapter, Normal seem just about right to be in regards to difficulty, that boss run at the end was kind of rough but I had a bunch of power ups saved up. Also Jeannes battle themes are amazing.

Fuck me running this game looks AMAZING on the Gamepad. The drop in resolution has it looking like a PS4 game.

Loving it so far (Chapter 4)

The colours look so dull on the gamepad though, and the resolution of the screen, it's just terrible overall in my opinion.

TSM

The colours look so dull on the gamepad though, and the resolution of the screen, it's just terrible overall in my opinion.

Yeah, the game looks absolutely awful on the gamepad. The game has very little in the way of contrast and the additional lack of contrast from the wii u gamepad's LCD makes it even worse.

Seik

Banned
Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is amazing in Bayo 1. Death-defying, razor-edge high stakes empowering shit.

You weren't kidding, the moment I tried it, it changed the whole game.

Breezed through all the Grace & Glory the game could throw at me and Platinum'd Jeanne in the end of chapter V.

Ok, I'm ready to do the rest now! I had it equipped in Bayo 2, but my evades were way more efficient than parrying. In Bayo 1 it seems to be the contrary, I'm relying way more on parrying for some strange reason. :D

Astral Dog

Something feels off, i lost to Balder one time, i could not dodge properly at all the fight, and it was on normal, he was an easy boss, but now he kills me.
I think its the Pro controller.

Final boss is pretty irritating.
Ice
section is stupid as fuck. I understand the concept of
not touching the ground to get frozen, but multiple times upon fucking up I've gotten stuck in a loop of freeze-boulder-freeze-boulder-freeze-boulder until dying. I'm sure I can beat it but it's annoying that I have to repeat the entire fight again.

I love the core game but I really hate a lot of the other elements it introduces with gimmicks/etc. Nice to hear that Bayo 2 apparently alleviates this issue

antitrop

Ice
not touching the ground to get frozen, but multiple times upon fucking up I've gotten stuck in a loop of freeze-boulder-freeze-boulder-freeze-boulder until dying. I'm sure I can beat it but it's annoying that I have to repeat the entire fight again.

I love the core game but I really hate a lot of the other elements it introduces with gimmicks/etc. Nice to hear that Bayo 2 apparently alleviates this issue

Bayo 2 trims the fat. It's a far less esoteric game than the first.

It's also a bit less memorable, because of it. But undoubtedly the better game of the 2, from a pure gameplay standpoint.

Breezed through all the Grace & Glory the game could throw at me and Platinum'd Jeanne in the end of chapter V.

Ok, I'm ready to do the rest now! I had it equipped in Bayo 2, but my evades were way more efficient than parrying. In Bayo 1 it seems to be the contrary, I'm relying way more on parrying for some strange reason. :D

Parrying in Bayonetta 2 got totally nerfed for some reason. The original's parry was so damn good. Though the signs were there in W101 with its awful Hero Counter or whatever.

I hope they don't nerf the parry in MGR2 ;_;

Finally beat Hard difficulty after many frustrations (especially the closer I got towards the end), but god damn if that wasn't a merciless challenge with multiple brutal Verses and simultaneously a wake-up call for novice players like myself. The heavily fluctuating framerate is a constant buzzkill though and makes me hope for a competent PC port one day.

Neff

It's not nearly so good in Bayo 2 since it does way less damage, and due to the lower framerate, harder to land, too. Still worth it for the block, but it's one of the most disappointing things about the sequel for me.

Kinsei

Banned
Ice

You can walk on the
ice. You just need to quip the ice skates. The same goes for the fire as well.

danmaku

Something feels off, i lost to Balder one time, i could not dodge properly at all the fight, and it was on normal, he was an easy boss, but now he kills me.
I think its the Pro controller.

I'm having the same problems. I'm so used to the 360 pad that I'll need some time to get used to the digital triggers and the inverted buttons on the pro pad.

BTW, I bought a costume from Rodin but I can't see it in the menu, I only have the Nintendo costumes. Did they took out the old ones? you can still buy them so they should be accessible somehow.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm having the same problems. I'm so used to the 360 pad that I'll need some time to get used to the digital triggers and the inverted buttons on the pro pad.

BTW, I bought a costume from Rodin but I can't see it in the menu, I only have the Nintendo costumes. Did they took out the old ones? you can still buy them so they should be accessible somehow.

Was it an umbran elegance or a couture bullet? The elegance's are found on the items screen. The couture bullets are on the same screen as the Nintendo costumes, hit ZL to access them.

danmaku

Was it an umbran elegance or a couture bullet? The elegance's are found on the items screen. The couture bullets are on the same screen as the Nintendo costumes, hit ZL to access them.

Thanks! It was an elegance. As usual, I'm spending my hard earned halos on costumes instead of items lol

Parrying in Bayonetta 2 got totally nerfed for some reason. The original's parry was so damn good. Though the signs were there in W101 with its awful Hero Counter or whatever.

I heard that Infinite Climax has Witch Time on Bayonetta 2. Perhaps that is the reason for the nerf?

You can walk on the
ice. You just need to quip the ice skates. The same goes for the fire as well.
Oh wow, I didn't think that affected anything. That's pretty clever!

I've briefly tried out different combinations but for the most part I've been all sword w/ guns on feet.

Thanks!

Unit24

I seriously doubt they'd nerf the parry in a game that's designed around parrying.

I just finished the game and i loved everything about it. I'll probably spend some time unlocking things before jumping into 2. What's the fastest way to get halos?

Neiteio

MGR1 was Parrying: The Game. And it was glorious. I very much doubt the parrying in MGR2 would be anything less than superb.

Veeboy

So my copy just came in (I was gonna wait until November 21st, but I couldn't wait), and I have a couple of questions.

What would your recommend to play this with? I know I'm not gonna use the gamepad for it, and I have a (bootleg) Pro Controller that I'm borrowing from someone but if need be I'd buy another controller.

As someone who is completely new to Platinum games (and pretty much barely a novice at action games in general) what would difficulty would you recommend I start on?

Sorry if these questions have been asked a ton, just want to make my Bayonetta experience optimal.

I'm at Chapter 15. Hopefully, this is the last chapter. I really want to get going on Bayonetta 2. I've gotten all Stone trophies so far except for one Bronze and one Gold (no idea how I got that one). I'm still waiting on Bat Within to do something, but oh well. At least I'm ever so slightly better. I really wish there were more mini-game sections like the street racing section and the level where you're guiding a rocket for most of the level. Those were probably the best parts of the game for me so far.

Edit: I didn't even see a section for alternate costumes in the store. I've bought all the techniques and hearts.

So my copy just came in (I was gonna wait until November 21st, but I couldn't wait), and I have a couple of questions.

What would your recommend to play this with? I know I'm not gonna use the gamepad for it, and I have a (bootleg) Pro Controller that I'm borrowing from someone but if need be I'd buy another controller.

As someone who is completely new to Platinum games (and pretty much barely a novice at action games in general) what would difficulty would you recommend I start on?

Sorry if these questions have been asked a ton, just want to make my Bayonetta experience optimal.
The pro Controller is fantastic, use that. If you have a wii U you should get one eventually for the insane battery life and it's just really comfy to use.
Start from a lower difficulty and work your way up when you feel comfortable. The game is fairly forgiving with lots of check points but you'll get punished with a lower score.
edit: sorry for 2x post :(

So what's everyone's favorite combos?

Seems I always do PPKKK, I really need to do something different.

Yeah I basically just use that and PKP. Everything else is a bit too difficult to remember. I still can't get that dodge offset stuff working properly, but it doesn't matter all that much sense I pretty much just spam dodge 90% of the time anyway and then go in for the kill once I'm fairly sure there are only 1 or 2 enemies or if all the enemies are basic with little blocking capability. I do wish bosses and enemies had better tells, as I feel like it's total luck whether or not I dodge certain enemies' attacks (especially when fighting Jeanne).

Ferrio

Banned
I seem to take more damage when I try to dodge offset. I mean I can't do it on reaction like it's intended. I can do it if I prepare before hand and go "Okay I'll offset after this attack", but on cue I either drop the combo or get bopped.

I'm at Chapter 15. Hopefully, this is the last chapter. I really want to get going on Bayonetta 2. I've gotten all Stone trophies so far except for one Bronze and one Gold (no idea how I got that one). I'm still waiting on Bat Within to do something, but oh well. At least I'm ever so slightly better. I really wish there were more mini-game sections like the street racing section and the level where you're guiding a rocket for most of the level. Those were probably the best parts of the game for me so far.

Edit: I didn't even see a section for alternate costumes in the store. I've bought all the techniques and hearts.

Maybe you got gud before you needed it.

Bat Within is basically insurance for people not very good at dodging, since it gives you a slightly bigger window to activate witch time.

When the action gets to overwhelming, instead of dodging before the hit strikes you will get hit just as you press the dodge button, which will activate bat within, which will activate witch time, which will allow you to continue your combos.

which which witch which

Neiteio

Yeah I basically just use that and PKP. Everything else is a bit too difficult to remember. I still can't get that dodge offset stuff working properly, but it doesn't matter all that much sense I pretty much just spam dodge 90% of the time anyway and then go in for the kill once I'm fairly sure there are only 1 or 2 enemies or if all the enemies are basic with little blocking capability. I do wish bosses and enemies had better tells, as I feel like it's total luck whether or not I dodge certain enemies' attacks (especially when fighting Jeanne).
Whenever a boss starts to move differently than before, just dodge.

Also, you don't have to memorize every move. Aside from PKP, you can find reliable moves by simply tapping at different rhythms, combined with different directions on the stick. Some common "stylish character action game" moves include tilting the control stick back and then forward while pushing a button, or tapping forward twice and pushing a button, or spinning the stick and tapping the button, or tapping a button several times really fast, or tapping a button several times with a split-second pause between taps, or doing all of that but in the air, or tapping jump and then attack immediately afterward. Given that there are punch and kick variants for each of the above, that's already a wealth of moves dealing different damage at different speeds.

Veeboy

The pro Controller is fantastic, use that. If you have a wii U you should get one eventually for the insane battery life and it's just really comfy to use.
Start from a lower difficulty and work your way up when you feel comfortable. The game is fairly forgiving with lots of check points but you'll get punished with a lower score.
Will definitely be buying the pro controller eventually. I probably won't buy a legit one until smash comes out (or a really good sale happens). It's good to know about the check points too since I'm expecting to die a lot, lol.

Thanks for the advice!

So what's everyone's favorite combos?

Seems I always do PPKKK, I really need to do something different.

I like uppercutting enemies into the air, then afterburner kicking them even higher and use longer combos there that end in a wicked weave attack, double tap aim to umbran spear-teleport to them and continue if they are still alive. I feel safer killing them in the air sometimes as I'm not as likely to be attacked by enemies when on the ground.

I also really like the "burn the edge" attack-combo, or whatever the hell she is saying there lol, because of the 2 wicked weave attacks in quick succession.

There are many ways to kick/punch enemies into the air and smash them down with wicked weave attacks.

Also, try holding durga to use the explosion magic or hold the sword attack, they inflict heavy damage.

I seem to take more damage when I try to dodge offset. I mean I can't do it on reaction like it's intended. I can do it if I prepare before hand and go "Okay I'll offset after this attack", but on cue I either drop the combo or get bopped.

I'm having a hard time with this too but I find it to become easier if I just hold every button in a combo longer than normal, every time, even if I don't plan on using it. This way you are already doing half the work.

What's the benefit of parrying with the accessory if you can just dodge and go witch time if you see it coming anyway?

You don't need witchtime anymore and it can stagger enemies, you can also throw projectiles/rocks back at enemies with it + it can block every attack, even boss attacks from the final boss (afair)

Maybe you got gud before you needed it.

Bat Within is basically insurance for people not very good at dodging, since it gives you a slightly bigger window to activate witch time.

When the action gets to overwhelming, instead of dodging before the hit strikes you will get hit just as you press the dodge button, which will activate bat within, which will activate witch time, which will allow you to continue your combos.

which which witch which

I still die a ton, so I don't think that's it. It never seems to proc when I get hit. If I miss a dodge (which happens a lot), I guess I really miss it.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wow I beat the game 2 days ago and only today found out that continuing combos after dodging is like a key part of the game T_T... I still got a bronze overall, mostly because I didn't know about the hidden Alfheim trials. Also, is it just me or the bigger enemies are easier than the smaller ones? Maybe it's because they're slower and I can predict their attacks (via their tells) a lot easier. I'll probably go back and play some of the early chapters with the dodge stuff and see how much that helps.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm having a hard time with this too but I find it to become easier if I just hold every button in a combo longer than normal, every time, even if I don't plan on using it. This way you are already doing half the work.

Except there's a very short time frame when you can actually dodge and continue the combo. If you don't dodge within the first moments of the hold, it seems to drop the combo soon as you recover from the dodge.

LocalE

Except there's a very short time frame when you can actually dodge and continue the combo. If you don't dodge within the first moments of the hold, it seems to drop the combo soon as you recover from the dodge.

Yeah, I just used Scarborough Fair to tune this and really understand when the combo has been dropped. Firing on enemies from a decent range and then hitting them with a wicked weave was how I practiced to see what my timing should be. Practice practice practice, if you want to get good, I guess.

IKizzLE

Pkp dodge offset with Durga is pretty much all you need to get through all the hardest difficulties in the game.

Mix it up with Kilgore glitch and some good panther evades and you'll beat infinite climax.

GWX

Chapter XIV spoilers ahead.

Kamiya's love letter to Space Harrier is fun at first, but it's so damn long and dodging is so damn annoying and so close to nauseating it completely destroys the chapter. The fight with Jeanne at the end almost redeems the shitload, though: so fucking hard and tense. Thank god for parrying - I can't imagine defeating that bitch (ops, witch - Luka's pun is lol) without that expensive accessory (yes, I know you can just use the Link costume for free parrying goodness, but still).
Shit will go down at the end, I'm sure of it, and I can't wait! It's only a shame such a great game gets dragged down by such annoying issues, such as the aforementioned, plus Route 666 and the instadeath-if-missed-QTEs.

Chapter XIV spoilers ahead.

Kamiya's love letter to Space Harrier is fun at first, but it's so damn long and dodging is so damn annoying and so close to nauseating it completely destroys the chapter. The fight with Jeanne at the end almost redeems the shitload, though: so fucking hard and tense. Thank god for parrying - I can't imagine defeating that bitch (ops, witch - Luka's pun is lol) without that expensive accessory (yes, I know you can just use the Link costume for free parrying goodness, but still).
Shit will go down at the end, I'm sure of it, and I can't wait! It's only a shame such a great game gets dragged down by such annoying issues, such as the aforementioned, plus Route 666 and the instadeath-if-missed-QTEs.

Chapter 14 was great until the boring
Jeanne
fight. It and Route 666 are the 2 best parts of the game.

bobohoro

Finished it. Loved it. Known issues aside, Bayonetta still holds up well and is just amazing to play, really looking forward to starting 2 in the coming days, since I can really live without the alternate gameplay sections and sudden death QTEs.

Is there no way to skip cutscenes faster then with the select -> skip -> yes route? Seems really annoying if you want to play for Plats and stuff.

Top Bottom