• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta: Special Edition |OT| Fly Me To Wii U

mantidor

Just started today. I'm at chapter 6.
Jeanne really did a number on me, but Grace and Glory weren't honestly all that bad, except in the bonus area where you essentially had to use Shuraba's charge to inflict enough damage under the move limit.

Also, do some of
inspired
's attacks not give you witch time?

The dragon things? They always gave me witch time.

And jesus christ the alfheim with the moves' limit has freaking grace and glory!? Now I know I'll never beat it D: I mean it starts with a freaking beloved!

Munkybhai

Just finished the game for the first time. Played it on Normal and got my ass handed to me time and time again. Overall rating = Stone award. I was never even close to getting anything better than that. :/

Still, like the W101, I felt like I was getting better as the game went on.

My tactic with those enemies I couldn't witch time was to build up tortures by dodging. That was the only way to do enough damage. I don't know how to parry or do that offset thing. Maybe I could get a bronze award if I did.

I'm only on chapter 4. I'm not that great at this game. I did manage to get platinum medals on the Prologue and Chapter 1 but it took a lot of effort. It's impossible for me to platinum entire chapters on the first run cause I always die on QTE's (they come by so fast!) and it takes a while to learn boss patterns.

Any tips guys? And how many chapters in the game?

popyea

I'm only on chapter 4. I'm not that great at this game. I did manage to get platinum medals on the Prologue and Chapter 1 but it took a lot of effort. It's impossible for me to platinum entire chapters on the first run cause I always die on QTE's (they come by so fast!) and it takes a while to learn boss patterns.

You don't have to perform an entire chapter perfectly for Platinum ranks. Observe when the game saves during a chapter. If you quit out you'll resume at that point, so you can use that to reverse any bad runs or mistakes you might make. Though don't expect to get platinums on a first run anyway. They wouldn't be worth pursuing if you could get them without practice.

17 chapters
16 minus the prolouge + some extras to unlock

Don't try to complete the Alfheims on your first run or platinum everything, it takes some serious knowledge about the game and skill to do that. Just ignore them and return once you've finished the game or when you feel like it as you can select every chapter at any given time as long as you have progressed to that chapter already, you will have unlocked a lot of usefull stuff by the end. Depending on how often you play the game (how much you like/dislike it) you will memorize the QTEs and won't die on them anymore as they don't change.
As always, buy the Moon of Mahaa Kalaa accessory (if you haven't already) as soon as possible to block and parry attacks. You can block nearly every attack in the game with it. If you get staggered by the scream of Fearless, you still can block even though you can't move. You can reflect enemy projectiles back to them.
There are invincibility frames not only when dodging but also when panther-transforming etc, useful when too much is going on/crashing down.
Once you have Durga unlocked you can attack enemies that are on fire with it and are immune to electric ground damage, depending on how you use them. You refill your magic orbs not only by dodging or attacking, also by taunting the enemies.
You can skate over lava without taking damage once you have unlocked Odette + you can freeze enemies solid.
etc etc.

I was really close to buying Serene Light.... Good thing I didn't.

Any moves I should get or look out for?

Bat Within is a must, but that isn't available until a few chapters in. Air dodge is also essential and the rising air kick (forgot the name) is great for extending air combos.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well judging by the comments in here it looks like that will be unavoidable.

TBF Bayonetta only really clicks (for me at least) after a second playthrough, the first is fun ride but it's when you have a much better understanding of the combat system and begin to understand the amount of gameplay changing unlockables and various hidden bonus that the game really starts to shine.

UrbanRats

Bat Within is a must, but that isn't available until a few chapters in. Air dodge is also essential and the rising air kick (forgot the name) is great for extending air combos.

I'm no expert, but i also love the two attacks that let you close the distance quickly.
Don't remember the name, but they're executed with -> -> A/X, depending if kick or fist attack.

I'm no expert, but i also love the two attacks that let you close the distance quickly.
Don't remember the name, but they're executed with -> -> A/X, depending if kick or fist attack.

True, those are also great, forgot about them. Honestly, the only moves I almost never use are the breakdance and portal kick variants.

Regiruler

Is there any particular trick to Braves besides
killing them before they go "I'll form the head"
?

Also, is just me or are some of Temperantia's punches unavoidable? There's about 3 variations but one in particular I've never been able to dodge. I think it's the one that doesn't break the platform, but is done while he's holding it.

BadWolf

I was really close to buying Serene Light.... Good thing I didn't.

Any moves I should get or look out for?

Air Dodge and Bat Within for defensive purposes.

For offense get Tetsuzanko. You will do excellent damage from across the screen for just three magic orbs, especially when using the sword.

danmaku

The dragon things? They always gave me witch time.

And jesus christ the alfheim with the moves' limit has freaking grace and glory!? Now I know I'll never beat it D: I mean it starts with a freaking beloved!

I think you can't get witch time when they stand still and try to hit you with their tail, you only get a slowdown. You can get it from their fireballs.

Also, that portal seems terrible but it's not that hard. Just use fire Durga and hold the buttons, the bombs deal an absurd amount of damage. But the portal that asks you to stay 60 seconds in the air? that's crazy. I managed to clear the 15 seconds version but an entire minute is too much.

....Also, that portal seems terrible but it's not that hard. Just use fire Durga and hold the buttons, the bombs deal an absurd amount of damage. But the portal that asks you to stay 60 seconds in the air? that's crazy. I managed to clear the 15 seconds version but an entire minute is too much.

Use the whip, pull an enemy towards you, jump off it's head and then jump again (doublejump), pull another enemy towards you, rinse repeat.
This way you can stay in the air forever and reach an absurd altitude.

Is there any particular trick to Braves besides
killing them before they go "I'll form the head"
?

Also, is just me or are some of Temperantia's punches unavoidable? There's about 3 variations but one in particular I've never been able to dodge. I think it's the one that doesn't break the platform, but is done while he's holding it.

I'm not sure about this myself, there are the ones you can block and then jump around and throw a truck at him. Then there are punches I always fail to block, I believe you have to inflict a certain amount of damage to his other hand to cancel the punch, but that's only a guess.

danmaku

Use the whip, pull an enemy towards you, jump off it's head and then jump again (doublejump), pull another enemy towards you, rinse repeat.
This way you can stay in the air forever and reach an absurd altitude.

Thanks! I never thought about the whip lol, I discovered just yesterday that you can jump over enemies Mario-style and that's how I beat the other portal.

Kinsei

Banned
I also intentionally avoided buying the crow form, because i know i'll get mad if she turns when i just want to dodge in the air.

You can disable the crow form at any time through the menu. I couldn;t imagine playing through the game without Umbran Spear.

danmaku

That sounds odd.
Disable a technique from the menu? Can you also disable the panther? ( though i don't mind that one)

Yes, you can disable every move you purchase in the shop. Go into the menu with all the books about angels/demons/notes/whatever and select the tome of the umbra arts (the exact name depends on the language you're using).

Edit: I'm not sure about beast within, as you don't get it from the shop, you can surely disable crow form.

I also intentionally avoided buying the crow form, because i know i'll get mad if she turns when i just want to dodge in the air.

There are some extras that you cant get to without it, turning into a crow and activating the blades and warp to an enemy, slashing it up, is also a nice move to have imo.

mantidor

Crow form is really hard to activate accidentally, on the other hand I always activate umbra portal kick and breakdance even when I don't want to.

Just fnished the game, at the congradulations screen now, boy what a ride, makes me excited to see the even better character models of these characters, one thing im noticing is there are 1 or 2 enemy models I didnt see in my playthrough (one that looks to have the model of those big "angels" with the baby face but has dark skin and seem to be carrying laser guns) are they just concept art they wanted to throw in or are do they appear on
higher difficulties?

They're located in the Space Harrier stage. They've got the Rick Dom masks to resemble the robots from that game.

Bs6fBtICAAMnJss.png

640px-BelovedDGallery.png

sphagnum

Banned
Just finished it. Fantastic game. I wish I had the time to go back and play it on harder difficulty but I still want to get to Bayonetta 2 and get through all these Hyrule Warriors updates I've neglected so that might not be for some time...

Regiruler

I think people who rant about Route 666 and isla de la sol haven't played W101: the alternate gameplay sections in there were much worse (bar a few: it does space harrier better since it doesn't rotate the screen and you can slow down time).

I'm replaying Bayo 1 and after a few chapters I'm sure the game runs worse than the 360 version. Some chapters drops frames a LOT, and I mean PS3 version numbers...

El Odio

Banned
Finally booted this up after buying it 3 weeks ago. Not far in, only finished the first chapter but the whole graveyard fight combined with the music hooked me just like the prologue of MGR. Combat already feels like it'll take a lot to get stale so it seems like I'm in for a real treat!

Regiruler

I'm replaying Bayo 1 and after a few chapters I'm sure the game runs worse than the 360 version. Some chapters drops frames a LOT, and I mean PS3 version numbers...

It's most noticeable with portal kick and whatnot.
A lot of the later chapters seem to be completely fine though, which is odd as their more graphics intensive.

Although I think people saying it runs better than 2 are full of shit. 2 has a much more consistent framerate.

I think people who rant about Route 666 and isla de la sol haven't played W101: the alternate gameplay sections in there were much worse (bar a few: it does space harrier better since it doesn't rotate the screen and you can slow down time).
The only ones that were objectively worse in The Wonderful 101 were the top-down shmup sections, but even then those were much shorter than the alternate gameplay sections in Bayonetta 1. Everything else was either decently executed (like the
Punch-Out!!
homage) or fairly short and tolerable.

17 chapters
16 minus the prolouge + some extras to unlock

Don't try to complete the Alfheims on your first run or platinum everything, it takes some serious knowledge about the game and skill to do that. Just ignore them and return once you've finished the game or when you feel like it as you can select every chapter at any given time as long as you have progressed to that chapter already, you will have unlocked a lot of usefull stuff by the end. Depending on how often you play the game (how much you like/dislike it) you will memorize the QTEs and won't die on them anymore as they don't change.
As always, buy the Moon of Mahaa Kalaa accessory (if you haven't already) as soon as possible to block and parry attacks. You can block nearly every attack in the game with it. If you get staggered by the scream of Fearless, you still can block even though you can't move. You can reflect enemy projectiles back to them.
There are invincibility frames not only when dodging but also when panther-transforming etc, useful when too much is going on/crashing down.
Once you have Durga unlocked you can attack enemies that are on fire with it and are immune to electric ground damage, depending on how you use them. You refill your magic orbs not only by dodging or attacking, also by taunting the enemies.
You can skate over lava without taking damage once you have unlocked Odette + you can freeze enemies solid.
etc etc.
Thanks for this. I'll grab each of those items. Very sound advice.

Exactly how I feel. 360 version wasn't perfect, and WiiU one correct a lot of 360's screen tearing problems present therein, but I felt like 360 still ran better overall. I need to go back and boot it up to be sure.

Ninja Dom

I've completed my second playthrough but I think I'm still missing a lot of things.

I can't buy anymore Hearts & Moon Pearls in Rodin's shop. His shop is still massively under stocked. Still lots of 'Coming Soon' stuff.

In MG Revengeance I had the parry locked down completely, it was no trouble to perform but I'm quite the opposite with this game and the Moon of Maha-Kalaa. It seems less natural to me.

Dunno wether to try a third playthrough or move onto Bayonetta 2, which I haven't started yet.

Effect

Beat the game last night. Overall I really enjoyed it but I think I was wanting the game to be over about a chapter or two before the last full chapter took place. The damn
boss rush
I found annoying. I'm at least glad one of those were shortened. I don't like when that's done in games. The end was a spectacle though and I enjoyed it a lot.

I am glad I decided to play this first before jumping into Bayonetta 2. I think I would have had a problem playing this had I devoted more time then I did to clear the prologue and the little of chapter 1 of Bayonetta 2 I did play. If anyone is still on the fence about which one to play first I would suggest Bayonetta 1 and at least run through it on Easy so save yourself frustration towards the end if you just want the story and not really that interested in the challenge.

I've completed my second playthrough but I think I'm still missing a lot of things.

I can't buy anymore Hearts & Moon Pearls in Rodin's shop. His shop is still massively under stocked. Still lots of 'Coming Soon' stuff.

In MG Revengeance I had the parry locked down completely, it was no trouble to perform but I'm quite the opposite with this game and the Moon of Maha-Kalaa. It seems less natural to me.

Dunno wether to try a third playthrough or move onto Bayonetta 2, which I haven't started yet.

You need to go higher difficulty to unlock the rest + there is a lot to unlock that is not connected to the store and difficulty. Like unlocking The Lost Chapter by completing all Alfheims and unlocking Little King Zero by completing the Lost Chapter, Or Jeanne after completing every chapter on Platinum, the Nun-Chucks by having played 100 chapters, there is a ton of stuff that I personally never would have known about if I had not read the Bayonetta Wiki.

Neff

You can use Witch Time during the Space Harrier section in Bayo 1 too.

Zemm

I'm only 3 hours in but my only complaint so far are the instant death qte's. So much bullshit. I don't mind qte's at all but not the ones where if you miss one button press you die.

Top Bottom