• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC iPlayer heads to Xbox Live next week [Up: Live today]

Ewwww, the PS3 "version" (browser based) is just terrible. I actually go through the trouble of moving my laptop and connecting it to the TV instead of using my PS3 because of its poor implementation. Hopefully this 360 version is good. I miss having my desktop close enough to my TV :(

You do know that they upgraded the PS3 version to an actual app about 6 months ago, right? It looks amazing now and is the best way to watch the iPlayer. It has an interface designed for a controller and while it isn't perfect, it's much much better than the browser based solutions they had before (and still have for 4OD and ITVplayer).

The jump in quality for the PS3 iPlayer is the main reason Microsoft was finally willing to let the BBC go ahead with the 360 version and not charge for it.

Linkified

The Shadow Line*
Sherlock*

The Crimson Petal and The White
Exile*
The Night Watch
Page Eight
Case Histories
Luther*

* = especially recommended by me, though every single entry on the list is quality

And I'm missing a load, I'm sure. I can't remember all the names of the things I've seen.

There has never been a better time for original British programming on the BBC. We're in a renaissance right now.

Well the two bolded are period bits of shit, not current. The rest do not look as entertaining as Hustle or Hotel Babylon.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Doesn't stop 'em charging us for DVD sets though, does it?

I've always found that strange. I ought to be paying for postage, packaging and the cost of a blank disc when I buy a BBC DVD.

It's because of the BBC Worldwide thing innit

Well the two bolded are period bits of shit, not current. The rest do not look as entertaining as Hustle or Hotel Babylon.

Hustle & Hotel Babylon were past their best.
And Luther (the second series certainly)/Sherlock defoes surpass both.
Shadow Line as well tbh.

Especially Hotel Babylon, since when has that been a pinnacle of television quality?
You really should think of watching some different shows tbh.

BBC doesn't even have many period dramas atm, in fact they've cancelled most and the only big hit with one is one from the 50's.
(also I'd recommend The Hour, an amazing show)

But point stands - you need to watch some other things than well...hotel babylon :D

Suairyu

Banned
Well the two bolded are period bits of shit, not current.
What is wrong with period? Why does that make them "shit"? You'd have had a point during the dark days of BBC where everything was a stuffy costume drama, but we're long past that.

The rest do not look as entertaining as Hustle or Hotel Babylon.
Hustle?! HUSTLE?! That competent-but-not-brilliant crime-comedy series that tries to be ocean's eleven? That's your barometer of quality?

Every single thing on that list is critically acclaimed and (by my judgement) fantastic. Go read reviews and check out the first episode of each.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they need to do the same with 4od, demand 5 and netflix.

I have iplayer on my TV but hopefully the UX on 360 will be better. Plus its useful to have it all in one place, so if I've watched something on netflix I can switch to iplayer without having to switch device

Linkified

What is wrong with period? Why does that make them "shit"?

Hustle?! HUSTLE?! That competent-but-not-brilliant crime-comedy series that tries to be ocean's eleven? That's your barometer of quality?

Every single thing on that list is critically acclaimed and (by my judgement) fantastic. Go read reviews and check out the first episode of each.

1)Period pieces scream to me: "Oh shit we couldn't create a decent universe, we'll set it in the past"

2)Hustle wasn't trying to be Oceans Eleven though that is the whole point. It was entertaining that is the point.

3)Critically acclaimed means jack shit.

4)Watched enough to say these aren't entertaining for me.

5)I wish BBC content was on an a la carte model -which means I would be paying literally about £25. Masterchef which has less amount of content than previous years and the news to have on in the background.

Also seen as I pay for Sky, and if I chose not to want BBC programming, I shouldn't have to pay a license fee.

Suairyu

Banned
1)Period pieces scream to me: "Oh shit we couldn't create a decent universe, we'll set it in the past"
? Then so does everything set in the modern day. Including Hustle.

By your logic, The Godfather isn't a decent film; only fantasy and science fiction can be worthy genres.

3)Critically acclaimed means jack shit.
It means people who experience a lot of television and are considered balanced enough in their opinions to be paid for it thought they were good. "Critically acclaimed" also implies a matter of consensus - that many of these people thought the shows were good. That doesn't mean you have to agree, but it does mean you should take notice and perhaps try them out for yourself.

4)Watched enough to say these aren't entertaining for me.
And what is that? A two minute trailer? Because every trailer for Sherlock has been terrible - I spent ages trying to find a decent one for the list but I couldn't. Unless you've seen an entire full episode you haven't seen enough to make any kind of judgement.

5)I wish BBC content was on an a la carte model -which means I would be paying literally about £25.
Then the very reason why the BBC is good - that it doesn't have to bend to popular opinion - would be gone. You'd end up with ITV-level programming.

Linkified

It means people who experience a lot of television and are considered balanced enough in their opinions to be paid for it thought they were good. "Critically acclaimed" also implies a matter of consensus - that many of these people thought the shows were good. That doesn't mean you have to agree, but it does mean you should take notice and perhaps try them out for yourself.

Then the very reason why the BBC is good - that it doesn't have to bend to popular opinion - would be gone. You'd end up with ITV-level programming.

1)TV is a different beast, to both movies and games - that is why a % of people hate WW2 or even war games based in a modern setting.

2)Critics mean jack shit. You can agree or disagree with them, but they are mainly just pompous or arrogant jerks who love to hate popular anything. All they do is be snarky marks for certain directors and producers.

3)The whole reason for the BBC is to provide content that the masses enjoy, and they are incapable of doing that in a modern age, they just seem to want to do either very edgy or melancholy based dramas. They were at one stage able to produce comedies that were fantastic comedies like Only Fools and Horses, Hi Dee Hi, Butterflies, Good Life, etc.

Oh wait we can't like those anymore! Why can't we? Oh critics said it was uncool to like anything or everything filmed in front of a live studio audience, and used the audience soundtrack in the 'aired' version. Oh well!

Anyway, I guess your opinion is you like watching those shows, my opinion is I don't want to.

Suairyu

Banned
2)Critics mean jack shit. You can agree or disagree with them, but they are mainly just pompous or arrogant jerks who love to hate popular anything. All they do is be snarky marks for certain directors and producers.
Citation needed. Examples of specific critics and articles they have written that support this theory.

I mean seriously, goddamn.

Oh wait we can't like those anymore! Why can't we? Oh critics said it was uncool to like anything or everything filmed in front of a live studio audience, and used the audience soundtrack in the 'aired' version. Oh well!

Actually one of the BBC's biggest comedies atm is Mrs Brown's Boys and they've just brought back Ab Fab.

But keep striking that wall by all means.

snap0212

It's because the BBC is the one thing we can point to and say "yeah, that makes you proud to be British". It's a world leader in television. It puts to shame nearly every other studio/broadcast service in existence, and those it doesn't outright shame it manages to better. Because it's publicly funded, it doesn't have to go "what would be the most popular thing to do?" but instead "what make the best show?" If it thinks an hour long documentary about a topic only ten people would be interested in makes for a good piece of television, it'll do it.
That's pretty much the case for every publicly funded TV/Radio station. What languages do you speak so I know what you're comparing BBC to when you say it puts every other studio/broadcast service to shame?

I'd say BBC is probably best in class, sure... Putting everyone else to shame? Nah.

Linkified

Actually one of the BBC's biggest comedies atm is Mrs Brown's Boys and they've just brought back Ab Fab.

But keep striking that wall by all means.

Well Ab Fab was brought back for all of 2 specials.

Anyway back on topic: So the final app Xbox has to release is the ITV one isn't it

Suairyu

Banned
That's pretty much the case for every publicly funded TV/Radio station. What languages do you speak so I know what you're comparing BBC to when you say it puts every other studio/broadcast service to shame?
I was working under the assumption that "of those I am aware of" is taken as read. But yes, to give everything fair credit, my sole language is English.

Though I totally could pull the "that's why it's a global company thus global leader" card :p

I'd say BBC is probably best in class, sure... Putting everyone else to shame? Nah.
Which is also why I put "and those it doesn't outright shame it manages to better" There are some examples of high quality television studios/broadcasters that aren't the BBC, sure. I used HBO as an example for original drama, despite its requirement to still bend to popular tastes somewhat.

Anyway is their anyway to request Sky to remove BBC channels from ones sky guide - in order not to give money to BBC.

Theres an Olympic Special, and another I think - its also been renewed for a new series.
Also your above statement is ridiculous, you still need to pay the BBC.

insin

Neo Member

Anyway is their anyway to request Sky to remove BBC channels from ones sky guide - in order not to give money to BBC.
The BBC has to pay Sky to be shown on Sky thanks to a swizz Thatcher put in place when satellite providers were starting up, so you're giving the Dirty Digger your money twice over - you're paying even more than you thought for all those ads!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/2011/10/retransmission-fees---to-pay-o.shtml
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/08/bskyb-cuts-bbc-transmission-charges

a.wd

Sherlock*

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmy62bTeakg&feature=relmfu"]Luther

* = especially recommended by me, though every single entry on the list is quality

And I'm missing a load, I'm sure. I can't remember all the names of the things I've seen.

There has never been a better time for original British programming on the BBC. We're in a renaissance right now.

For these alone i fucking love you

For anyone who hasn't seen Idris Elba in a role where the character depth is so deep and the stories are so awesome I had to buy the DVD the night I finished watching it, I really recommend it.

Suairyu

Banned
See the funny thing is I don't think the plotting of Luther is particularly amazing, so it actually took me a while to get properly into it. But once I did...

You do know that they upgraded the PS3 version to an actual app about 6 months ago, right? It looks amazing now and is the best way to watch the iPlayer. It has an interface designed for a controller and while it isn't perfect, it's much much better than the browser based solutions they had before (and still have for 4OD and ITVplayer).

The jump in quality for the PS3 iPlayer is the main reason Microsoft was finally willing to let the BBC go ahead with the 360 version and not charge for it.

My bad, I guess I better give the new version a try now. Cheers.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
You guys realise the BBC contributes a hell of a lot more to the world than just television programmes right? Although I work for the BBC so I'm possibly biased.

Suairyu

Banned
BBC News 24 is the only thing they stream live, as far as I'm aware.

You'll definitely be needing a TV License for that :p

You guys realise the BBC contributes a hell of a lot more to the world than just television programmes right? Although I work for the BBC so I'm possibly biased.
In a thread about iPlayer, what else are we meant to discuss?

Wiseblade

BBC News 24 is the only thing they stream live, as far as I'm aware.

You'll definitely be needing a TV License for that :p

In a thread about iPlayer, what else are we meant to discuss?

IIRC, BBC1 & 2 can be streamed live on iPlayer too.

Suairyu

Banned
Wiseblade is king of correcting people long after they've been corrected. How recent is the streaming of BBC 1 and 2? It certainly wasn't available a couple of years ago.

What? :lol
I'm generalising like a bastard, I know, but both Boardwalk Empire and Game Of Thrones were chock full of sex scenes whose only purpose was to fill the "we have sex scenes" criteria and would have been superior had some of them been excised.

Suairyu

Banned
Is there anyone you don't have a thing for?
The modern man does not have one fetish, but the ability to actively fetishize anything given the current situation.

When he is asked "are you a boobs, butt or legs man?" he replies "show me the woman!", when the question is "this woman or that woman?" he cries "show me the outfits and pose!", when options are "high quality leather or cheap PVC?" he demands "tell me what day of the week it is!"

The modern man does not have one fetish, but the ability to actively fetishize anything given the current situation.

When he is asked "are you a boobs, butt or legs man?" he replies "show me the woman!", when the question is "this woman or that woman?" he cries "show me the outfits and pose!", when options are "high quality leather or cheap PVC?" he demands "tell me what day of the week it is!"

Excellent.

Wiseblade

i2hKEeALmETi5.gif

SmokyDave

Is there anyone you don't have a thing for?

Asked...

...and masterfully answered.

mM5Cc.gif

Top Bottom