• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

cj_iwakura

Beatmania IIDX is a long-running rhythm game series. It predates just about every other game in the genre. It's been going on since the original Beatmania series debuted in 1997.

Beatmania.jpg

Beatmania involves playing songs with five buttons and a turntable, often to 'keysounded' tracks. Meaning that the player isn't just hitting notes to a beat, they're also creating the song as they go along.

Beatmania IIDX expanded the controller to seven keys, and it receives new releases to this day; currently at version 20, TriCoRo.

250px-Iidx15.jpg

Beatmania was popularized in arcades, but it's also received multiple PS1 & PS2 releases. Once Konami USA tried to localize a special PS2 version designed for US audiences. It didn't do so hot. Now let's never speak of it again.

G8EBVvj.jpg

The first version of IIDX, released in 1999.

BeatmaniaIIDX2ndStyle%28logo%29.jpg

IIDX 2nd Style started the naming convention for the later games, released in late 1999.

Beatmania_IIDX_3rd_Style_cover.jpg

IIDX 3rd Style was released in early 2000.

250px-4th_titlescreen.jpg

IIDX 4th Style was released in late 2000.

Beatmania_IIDX_5th_Style_cover.jpg

IIDX 5th Style debuted in 2001.

Notable songs: V

Beatmania_IIDX_6th_Style_cover.jpg

IIDX 6th Style debuted in late 2001.

Notable songs: Night of Fire

Beatmania_IIDX_7th_Style_cover.jpg

7th Style debuted in 2002.

Notable songs: Last Message, Traces, Remember Me

Beatmania_IIDX_8th_Style_cover.jpg

8th Style debuted in late 2002.

Notable songs: Attitude, Jiudecca, Outer Limits

Beatmania_IIDX_9th_Style_cover.jpg

9th Style debuted in 2003.

Notable songs: Abyss-The Heavens Remix, Bad Boy Bass!, e-motion 2003, Love Shine, Silvia Drive, traces-tracing you mix-, and on and on, 9th Style is amazing.

Beatmania_IIDX_10th_Style_cover.jpg

10th Style debuted in 2004.

Notable songs: Alien Temple, Innocent Walls, Love Is Eternity, Narcissus At Oasis

Beatmania_IIDX_11_IIDXRED_cover.jpg

IIDX RED(Revolutionary Energetic Diversification) debuted in late 2004.

It was the first game to use the naming scheme instead of 'Styles', and continues to this day.

Notable songs: Kiseki, Car of Your Dreams, Genocide, Spiral Galaxy,

Beatmania_IIDX_12_Happy_Sky_cover.jpg

IIDX 12: Happy Sky debuted in 2005.

Notable songs: Agnus Dei, Pollinosis, SigSig, Under The Sky, Votum Stellarum

Beatmania_IIDX_13_Distorted_cover.jpg

IIDX 13: Distorted debuted in 2006.

Notable songs: Apocalypse(Dirge of Swans), Broadbanded, Heavenly Sun, Parasite World, So Fabulous!!!, Wish

Beatmania_IIDX_14_Gold_cover.jpg

IIDX 14: Gold debuted in 2007.

Notable songs: Blind Justice, Snow Storm, Second Heaven

Beatmania_IIDX_15_DJ_Troopers_cover.jpg

IIDX 15: DJ Troopers debuted in 2008.

Notable songs: Blue Rain, Dazzlin' Darlin, Golden Cross

Beatmania_IIDX_Empress_plus_Premium_Best_cover_art.png

IIDX 16: Empress debuted in 2009. It remains the last console version of Beatmania ever released.

Notable songs: Go Beyond, Mind Mapping, Naughty Girl@ Queen's Palace, Turii~Panta Rhei~

q4irbiQ.jpg

IIDX 17: Sirius debuted in 2009.

800px-Beatmania_IIDX_18_Resort_Anthem_splash_art.png

IIDX 18: Resort Anthem debuted in 2010.

61Pc98PlE-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

IIDX 19: Lincle debuted in 2011.

1Cj9K8k.jpg

IIDX 20: TriCoLo debuted in 2012, and is the most recent version.

Best song ever: Luv Can Save U - Hideki Naganuma

main.jpg

IIDX 21: Spada debuted in 2013.

Notable songs: Odin, RISE, Funny Shuffle, diagram, Adularia, and 牧神笛吹き

500px-PENDUAL.png

IIDX 22: Pendual debuted in 2014.

tumblr_nfmit3lVG21qa8ljro1_1416967095_cover.jpg

New Songs:
AFRO KNUCKLE / 猫叉Master+
Don't Stop The Music feat.森高千里 / tofubeats - Don't Stop The Music
Erosion Mark / kors k REASM Des-ROW - pop'n rhythmin
FANTASTIC THREE / ジャカルタファンクブラザーズ
Hello Happiness / P*Light feat. mow*2
Line 4 Ruin / Ryu☆
No Tears / RoughSketch feat. Aikapin
On My Wings (HARDSTYLE IIDX) / kors k - Let's Do It Now!! kors k Special Remix CD
Rave Saves You feat. Cardz (Exclusive IIDX Mix) / REMO-CON - ENERGETIC TRANCE 03
SpaceLand☆TOYBOX / OSTER project
Sweet Radar / DJ Genki feat. Yukacco
Vulkan / Hommarju
ZZ / D.J.Amuro - jubeat saucer / REFLEC BEAT colette -Spring-
ベィスドロップ・フリークス / かめりあ feat.ななひら
紅牡丹 / DJ NAGAI feat.a☆ru
表裏一体!?怪盗いいんちょの悩み♥ / ◇◆謎の怪盗少女ぷらずま☆ミPrim◇◆

The newest version, Copula, is currently in arcades.

So with the history out of the way, I plan on doing weekly score challenges once we establish what versions any willing participants have.

Most likely we'll use a song from Empress CS(which has a metric ton of songs), and I'm leaving towards Under The Sky for a slow start.

What's everyone's favorite version? Pound for pound, mine is probably 10th Style, followed by DistorteD, then Empress.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Subbed. One day I'll get PS2 + a DJ Dao controller.

Am pretty awful at Beatmania though. Thought this was going to be general bemani thread. RIP SDVX / Jubeat ;_;

Riddy

Nice!

6th + 7th Style are my favorites, although that's completely biased since they were my first (I'd still rather play the later ones for all the cool mods)

Did anything ever get organized for community challenges?

Damn, was hoping for some cs news. What is the deal with that? Isn't tricoro on a LCD display? I would love to get back into it. I have a djdao collecting dust in the garage.

daegan

Since there haven't been home versions in forever:

Are there any solid simfile players for Mac? Also I lost my ps2-USB converter forever ago...any help finding a good one would be rad.

I haven't played since like...RED? I miss it.

cj_iwakura

Nice!

6th + 7th Style are my favorites, although that's completely biased since they were my first (I'd still rather play the later ones for all the cool mods)

That's the idea. First need to determine who has what versions and such. I have 10th, 9th, Empress, DistorteD, and US.

Riddy

I have a djdao collecting dust in the garage.

What kind? If you ever feel like selling that sucker...:)

Does anyone know if DJ Dao is still in business? I see the site is still taking orders but the last update he made on the blog was from 2008...

That's the idea. First need to determine who has what versions and such. I have 10th, 9th, Empress, DistorteD, and US.

Whoops, missed that line! I have all of em so it's a non-issue for me. The good news is that this is the best time to get into IIDX, as I've seen the games go for just 20-40 bucks a pop (I used to pay up to 80 each to import :cries:)

Deft Beck

The thread that I've been waiting for. Can't wait for the new songs in Tricoro Yellow Phase.

My favorite style is Gold.

cj_iwakura

Whoops, missed that line! I have all of em so it's a non-issue for me. The good news is that this is the best time to get into IIDX, as I've seen the games go for just 20-40 bucks a pop (I used to pay up to 80 each to import :cries:)

No joke. I got 9th for $20 here, but I had to pay $95 for Empress(which was worth it).

Nice!

I wouldn't say it's off-base.
6th and 7th hold a special place in my heart as that's where I jumped into IIDX.
Nothing beats those feels I get playing Fly Away.

I've actually gotten back into it by acquiring an ASC and re-acquiring 6th, 7th, 9th, and HAPPY SKY to accompany a once lonely EMPRESS CS.

TheChaos

All those pictures make me so nostalgic. I would play but alas I no longer have a SDTV, making all the older styles unplayable with the lag. I may with Happy Sky onward, though.

Favorite Style is probably 8th. Such a good soundtrack.

What kind? If you ever feel like selling that sucker...:)

Does anyone know if DJ Dao is still in business? I see the site is still taking orders but the last update he made on the blog was from 2008...

I believe it's the model that came out right after the fp7. It's been so long. Green led around the turntable and blue led for the sanwas. I'm holding on to for the slight chance konami gets it together and releases a new cs. There is the controller situation. I don't even know how that would be handled.

For the record, I loved the shit out of gold 22222222 deeeeeee eeekkssss goolllllld!!

Riddy

I wouldn't say it's off-base.
6th and 7th hold a special place in my heart as that's where I jumped into IIDX.
Nothing beats those feels I get playing Fly Away.

I've actually gotten back into it by acquiring an ASC and re-acquiring 6th, 7th, 9th, and HAPPY SKY to accompany a once lonely EMPRESS CS.

Yes! All the classic trance and eurobeat licenses are timeless!

This thread made me take out my US konami controller and hook up my PS2 to my CRT, lets see what a few years without playing has done to my PA...

Green led around the turntable and blue led for the sanwas.

*drool*

All those pictures make me so nostalgic. I would play but alas I no longer have a SDTV, making all the older styles unplayable with the lag. I may with Happy Sky onward, though..

The timing options in the newer styles made playing on HD screens pretty tolerable tbh, although don't expect miracles

Arzehn

So why has there been no PS3 releases for this franchise yet? I love DDR, Stepmania, and DJMax but I wouldn't mind giving beatmania a shot if they released a new keyboard.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Cool thread! May dust off my DJDAO.

I miss the golden days of 5-key when we had a little bit of Konami support in the US. Internet high scores codes submitted via email (lol), an official tournament or two, etc.

Deft Beck

So why has there been no PS3 releases for this franchise yet? I love DDR, Stepmania, and DJMax but I wouldn't mind giving beatmania a shot if they released a new keyboard.

Not cost effective. After a while, only the arcade releases were profitable.

"Not cost effective. After a while, only the arcade releases were profitable."

They need to embrace F2P. Besides Jubeat/Reflec Beat.

SirLarr

Neo Member
Sounding off, I'm a huge IIDX fan.

For those concerned with lag, I found a solution that works for me.

Basically I run my PlayStation 2 through my capture card (the Elgato Game Capture HD) and then pass the HDMI through to my computer monitor.

It's lagless, or at least has so little lag that I can't tell. Playing IIDX at my computer is a little awkward but every so often I'll clear off my keyboard and mouse and jam out.

cj_iwakura

Sounding off, I'm a huge IIDX fan.

For those concerned with lag, I found a solution that works for me.

Basically I run my PlayStation 2 through my capture card (the Elgato Game Capture HD) and then pass the HDMI through to my computer monitor.

It's lagless, or at least has so little lag that I can't tell. Playing IIDX at my computer is a little awkward but every so often I'll clear off my keyboard and mouse and jam out.

Good idea. I still have a problem with lag on newer styles, I can never get the timing right for adjusting the +/-.

Malajax

I found a copy of the us version and my friend gave me a beatmania controller not long after that. I still haven't touched it.

I know the learning curve is insanely steep, so it's intimidating. But at Anime Matsuri yesterday, I saw some pretty amazing players absolutely destroy Tricoro. I think I'll give it a shot then.

Any tips for a beginner? I'm ok at rhythm games. I'm pretty good at Taiko no Tatsujin, but I know that's a whole other thing. It took me about 6 months to get comfortable with the hardest difficulty. From what I saw yesterday, it looks like it'll take years.

Riddy

I found a copy of the us version and my friend gave me a beatmania controller not long after that. I still haven't touched it.

I know the learning curve is insanely steep, so it's intimidating. But at Anime Matsuri yesterday, I saw some pretty amazing players absolutely destroy Tricoro. I think I'll give it a shot then.

Any tips for a beginner? I'm ok at rhythm games. I'm pretty good at Taiko no Tatsujin, but I know that's a whole other thing. It took me about 6 months to get comfortable with the hardest difficulty. From what I saw yesterday, it looks like it'll take years.

It took me at least six months to start playing Another levels. This was back when I would play it everyday after school, hours on end. I'd say it took at least 100 hours for me to be considered even "proficient". You just gotta keep playing dude. Been playing for almost ten years and I still can't do the hardest songs (although they're are totally stupid to begin with)

"Any tips for a beginner? I'm ok at rhythm games."

Use hi-speed modes (hold the select button at the song screen). Play a lot. The learning curve is actually not very steep at all, so much as the game has "plateaus" where you'll be stuck at a play level for awhile until you somehow get a breakthrough and are able to play harder songs.

cj_iwakura

Start with 3-4s, single notes, then try 5-6s if you do fine on those.

Also, don't be afraid to use 5k or auto-scratch if it helps you adjust, then move on. That helped me a lot, also playing slower versions in the training mode.

The best advise one can give is to play, play, then play some more.
It takes a lot of practice to get over the initial humps.

cj_iwakura

Full disclosure: I got into the series through DDR. I saw some videos of DDR songs being played on IIDX, and was wondering why IIDX got all the awesome videos. Then I finally got to play RED at an arcade in Boca and was hooked.

Videos like this are just NUTS.

In the best way.

Riddy

Full disclosure: I got into the series through DDR. I saw some videos of DDR songs being played on IIDX, and was wondering why IIDX got all the awesome videos. Then I finally got to play RED at an arcade in Boca and was hooked.

Videos like this are just NUTS.

In the best way.

At Nexus right? I was there homie! Good fucking times! I got in through DDR too :)

Love Will... [A], not bad for not playing a serious round in a long time!

L9N7eodl.jpg

Of course, I used to AAA it on command back in the day but...

OH man. I'm glad someone started a thread like this. I used to play tons of 8th style at the local arcade, and I had the home versions as well. I also have a big soft spot for 5-key and their songs.

Now I think I will break it out sometime this week :)

TL21xx

Banned
Man, one of the arcades I used to frequent back in High School that recently shut down used to have a IIDX machine (can't remember what mix it was). I was never particularity good, and never had the cash on me to practice (ended up spending it all on DDR, which I was pretty decent at, still kinda am), but dang that game was cool. Would love to get my hands on a controller and region mod my PS2 to play it one of these days...

Riddy

Anyone know a good SUD+ calculator that's browser-based? Found this one but my Japanese is limited and I have no idea what's going on: http://infinity.s60.xrea.com/iidx/sud.html

Used to have one that would list every single bpm in the game that I could print out and take out of my pocket for reference, wish I could remember where it was!

PS AAA on Dazzlin' Darlin' [7K] but too bad its Dazzlin' Darlin' etc

cj_iwakura

I decided to fire up some 9th Style. No +/- adjustments, final destination. :(
(I stream it sometimes, but I think it lags like crazy.)

cj_iwakura

Forgot how harsh 9th style can be. No .5 mods, and the difficulty ratings aren't too reliable either.

Almost passed e-motion 2006 on Hyper!

Riddy

Just failed 'Icarus' miserably on [A] but what a track!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipR6sS8OTnY

I find it amazing how big a part muscle memory plays in this game. It's like riding a bike, your body doesn't forget (in this case, smashing buttons). I don't even understand what I'm reading half the time, my hands just do the thinking for me

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I've played Tricoro (arcade) for the first time a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. I wish Konami did a ps3 release, but that will never happen. :(

I have most of the ps2 releases. I remember pre-ordering most of them. Great memories.

I'm also into Pop'n Music. Bemani <3

cj_iwakura

Wow, I'm in some kind of zone today. Just passed Spooky L5(Hyper), and I remember that ending being absurd last time I played. (Went from an F to a B. :p 177JG/289G, lol. Dat lag.)

web01

I love these games but I completely suck, only play casually up to around lvl 7 on easiest difficulty and lower ranked medium difficulty but its enough to be able to at least experience most the songs in each game. Having to remove hand / fingers from keys to scratch is what really screws me up.
Also what are people's favourite CS releases? I like Happy Sky the best.

Just failed 'Icarus' miserably on [A] but what a track!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipR6sS8OTnY

I find it amazing how big a part muscle memory plays in this game. It's like riding a bike, your body doesn't forget (in this case, smashing buttons). I don't even understand what I'm reading half the time, my hands just do the thinking for me

I feel the opposite. I'm surprised at how much I regress after a few months of not playing. I always go down a level or two and have to work my way back up.

Also why do we have a thread for this and not Pop'n?

cj_iwakura

Your Body has a boss video. Is this Dai?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wU5MHh_xSU

Man, the video to that song was so fabulous lol. *sniff* I miss IIDX.

Would you say it's... So Fabulous !! ?

Also why do we have a thread for this and not Pop'n?

Because no one's made one! That's your cue.

One more awesome thing to share: Xybur and DM Ashura made this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea4Ihs7Dw9M
Their version of Golden Cross. Watch the original first for full effect.

Top Bottom