• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bedroom Gaming

Older gamers in particular may feel me on this one.

Just a short while ago, I made a realization. After surfing GAF for a bit, I got off the comp for a while and fired up Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (a rental) on my PS2 (I keep the "last gen" systems in my bedroom). Almost without thinking, I propped up some pillows against the edge of the bed, grabbed a blanket, turned out the lights and sat on the floor and grabbed the controller. Almost instantaneously, it occured to me that this was something that I hadn't done in ages, yet virtually all of my formative years of gaming consisted of this very same experience repeated on a weekly/nightly basis.

I then thought a little further about why this was such a strange sensation, and a number of things occured to me. For one, I'm older, and the living room has increasingly become the place for gaming for me, for a number of reasons. The bigscreen, the surround, the recliner, the superior lighting etc etc...all of it has drawn me out of the bedroom and into an increasingly "specialized" environment whereby gaming has become as much about the peripheral pieces surrounding it as it has the actual playing of the game.

The living room also lends to a more social experience when having friends over etc, especially when you're older and huddling in a bedroom with 3 other dudes may be considered suspect to your heterosexuality (tongue-in-cheek of course, no pun intended). Perhaps this is a part of why I feel less focused during one-player experiences in the LR as compared to the realtive isolation of the bedroom.

Also, I would venture a guess that the changing nature of the gaming world has affected the "bedroom gamer". Trip Hawkins talk of a "set-top box" during the 3D0 days have indeed come to fruition, as now you're playing movies, music, and downloading film previews and oogling at fractally generated light displays etc. While not necessarily living-room exclusive in nature, all these things lend themselves more to a LR environment. The relatively early stage of adoption for HD also means that most people, if they have an HDTV at all, have it in their living room, and most gamers are naturally inclined to take advantage of progressive scan and HD display options, since image is an integral part of the gaming experience. Hell, when I rented Hulk, even though I have an HDTV in my living room (30" 1080i CRT), I STILL went and hooked up the PS2 to the bigscreen in the living room just to see what it would look like on the 1080p (don't start) at 42". Did it look any better? Not really..bigger of course, but possibly worse as far as image quality. Did it play any better? Absolutely not.

Anyway, this is more a speculative rant than anything...perhaps I'm simply being nostalgic as to the days when gaming had to mean clamming up in the bedroom and plopping down on the floor to mash buttons for hours at a time. Or maybe there is more to what I've considered. I'm leaving it up to GAF to make their interpretations as to the sociological/behavioral nuances that differentiate LR and BR gaming, but I thought it was worth a mention, and wondered if anyone else had made a similar realization. I do know, however (if I may steer back to nostalgia-ville for a moment), that upon the release of Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, and all the other upcoming re-imaginings of the great titles I grew up on, that you can bet the farm that Mr Flanders will be playing them all firmly planted on my bedroom floor with the lights off..pillows, blanket and all.

I've just made the move to the living room arrangement upon purchase of my 360 and don't really intend to go back any time soon. I prefer it to being holed up in my room.

Also, I find that I play less because there's now a dedicated space to play rather than any time I'm in my room. It's helped my studies a fair amount.

Amir0x

Banned
I usually just put the non-HD consoles I own on my non-HD tv, which is in my bedroom. It's where Wii is going also, although I'm not sure such a, uh, active system is best for sitting on my ass and trying to re-imagine the formative years of my youth (but, that would probably require drugs anyway).

I know I certainly prefer the "theater experience", with spectacular graphics and 5.1channel surround sound... but, there is a place for what you said. I think most of the time the role falls to my PSP or DS though.

Treefrog

I've only really gamed in my room. Didn't bring a console with me to college, so I'll see how that works out in a dorm this Christmas.

civilstrife said:
I've just made the move to the living room arrangement upon purchase of my 360 and don't really intend to go back any time soon.

I prefer it to being holed up in my room.

Oh don't get me wrong..in terms of all-around gaming experience, my bedroom can't hold a candle to my living room setup. It's superior in every fashion...my point is just that theres a certain appeal to the intimacy and isolation of gaming in a bedroom.

Grayman

my gaming over the years shifted from bedroom to "living room" lots. It's rarely ever in the actual living room, usually in the basement or back room but I live with parents. Apparently someone started a rumour in the late 80s or early 90s that game systems ruin tvs :lol

Right now I have moved back to the bedroom because we have family visiting and sleeping in "my living room" where the games and computer were.

normally for the last two or three years, my console gaming is done in the big room while my portable gaming is done propped up on pillows in bed. I did enjoy playing sotc in my room last night sitting on the side of the bed. I think all my future console gaming is going to remain outside of the bedroom once I get the house space back.

I forgot to say, my room is small as hell and a girl will be the only person ever in it for any reason so there is basically zero multiplay gaming in my room when it is setup with games. two people who aren't intimate can't sit around a tv in my room.

jng9685

I only game in my bedroom, despite the HDTV and sound system being in the living room. Then again, I play PS2/PS1 almost exclusively, so the HDTV doesn't make much difference. Whenever I try to play in the living room, it isn't the same kind of experience.

Grayman

Amir0x said:
I usually just put the non-HD consoles I own on my non-HD tv, which is in my bedroom. It's where Wii is going also, although I'm not sure such a, uh, active system is best for sitting on my ass and trying to re-imagine the formative years of my youth (but, that would probably require drugs anyway).

I know I certainly prefer the "theater experience", with spectacular graphics and 5.1channel surround sound... but, there is a place for what you said. I think most of the time the role falls to my PSP or DS though.
The virtual console games will be great. me and a friend played mario 3 in his small ass bedroom a month ago and it was dope.

whenever I move to HD(heh i'll probably own a PS3 before HD), ps2 won't be needed because of BC, GC will probably dead, shot again, and buried in the back yard.

PkunkFury

I didn't have a TV in my bedroom as a kid. All gaming was done in the basement. However, I see where you are coming from. My systems are in the living room of my apt. now and still I play my games most comfortably in the dark, on the floor, with a blanket/pillow. I have chairs and couches all around me, yet I instinctively sit on the floor and turn out the lights. Perhaps I am recreating my basement, but I also think it may be a bit easier to concentrate on games when not reclining.

I also prefer gaming in cramped/messy spaces to my clean living room

Amir0x

Banned
Grayman said:
The virtual console games will be great. me and a friend played mario 3 in his small ass bedroom a month ago and it was dope.

whenever I move to HD(heh i'll probably own a PS3 before HD), ps2 won't be needed because of BC, GC will probably dead, shot again, and buried in the back yard.

I'm not much for nostalgia... I've got two games on my list - Tetris Attack and Earthbound - and when they're downloaded, my job with virtual console is done. Since I'll buy one 5000 point card, though, I'll leave room to download a few other things... not sure what yet, though. Gunstar seems attractive.

maxmars

I have put a ban on TV screens in my bedroom a long time ago, but I do use handhelds there (with volume zeroed). It's mostly a mindless alternative to reading books.

PkunkFury

Amir0x said:
I'm not much for nostalgia... I've got two games on my list - Tetris Attack and Earthbound - and when they're downloaded, my job with virtual console is done. Since I'll buy one 5000 point card, though, I'll leave room to download a few other things... not sure what yet, though. Gunstar seems attractive.

Earthbound 0
believe

Part of the reason why I referenced older gamers at the start of the thread is that the transition of gaming from the bedroom to the living room is inextricably linked to age, given that you're more likely to have your own living room once you get older. So I'm sure many younger gamers on GAF would find it a little harder to relate to my sentiments..

Nameless

Since moving out of my parents' house and into my own place all my gaming systems are in the living room. Honestly, prefer my room--it was just easier to lose myself in a game. My set-up was perfect, I had my couch at a perfect distance from my TV(with plenty a room to sit on the floor against the couch or lay down), the blanket over the window(light sucks), and best of all peace and quiet.

With things now in the living room, first off with there being an actual living room set things are a lot more spread out. I have a nice sized TV but I'm used to being close to the it, so I have to move the computer chair up, or sit on the floor to get really comfortable gaming. Not to mention its hard to 'zone-out' with constant background noise, company coming in-and out daily, LIGHTS!! etc..

cvxfreak

I also love gaming in my bedroom. It just feels warmer and more comfortable in there than in the rest of the house. I can just lie on my bed with my pillows and a 360 controller or WaveBird and just enjoy the game. The computer is also nearby in case I need it while gaming.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
+ 1 room gamer. The only problem is my back kills after awhile with no support or resting on the wall by my bed. Pillows don't help much. I need to get a chair that I can put on my bed..

PkunkFury

Nameless said:
Not to mention its hard to 'zone-out' with constant background noise, company coming in-and out daily, LIGHTS!! etc..

yeah, these are big put-offs for the living room. The only good adventure gaming I've done since moving my stuff into the living room has been between 11:00pm and 6:00am, when it's dark and noone is wandering in and out.

jng9685

BorkBork said:
+ 1 room gamer. The only problem is my back kills after awhile with no support or resting on the wall by my bed. Pillows don't help much. I need to get a chair that I can put on my bed..

Those chair-shaped pillows are basically made for gaming. So awesome.

Nameless

PkunkFury said:
yeah, these are big put-offs for the living room. The only good adventure gaming I've done since moving my stuff into the living room has been between 11:00pm and 6:00am, when it's dark and noone is wandering in and out.

Exactly the same way. If I play anything during the day, its a sports game or the occasional fighter. RPGs, Adventure/Action games, or anything on XBL=night time only. It wouldn't have taken me 3 Months to beat Oblivion if I had my set up in my room..:(

I don't know, with PSU, Gears, FFXII etc.. coming out in the coming weeks my roomate may come home to see either A. Everything back in my room or B. Dark sheets/blankets over all the windows.

Grayman

BorkBork said:
how about laying on your chest?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I have two of every console for that very reason (bedroom gaming).

skybaby

I nagged the 5.1 from the living room (since there is no digital over-the-air hdtv and no cares about dvds here) and Im getting an HDTV next week for all my needs! :D

Mashing

I always play my DS sitting/laying on my bed with the lights out.

I play my consoles in the computer room. Which is going to be a problem for Wii as I'm going to be pretty close to the TV. I might have to do some rearranging in that room to compensate.

Almost all Post-Dreamcast consoles, IMO are designed primarily for early-20's males in college or an apartment. They are really meant to be in the living room.

The bedroom is for the PSP and the PC.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Funny, I've thought about this before, but I've never seen anyone post about it. I can't really find a happy medium about it. Various consoles have moved me from my couch, to the office to the bedroom. The newer systems are optimally designed to take advantage of an entertainment center of some stature. There can be no real debate about that. But I also feel drawn to handhelds lately because they've reached the ability of the slightly older systems while being a much "smaller space" experience. There's something good about that in gaming for me.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Great post and thread!

For me, I too have strayed out of the bedroom for the majority of my gaming. In fact, the only time I ever play in the bedroom anymore would be to fire up the NES.

But while we're talking about gaming environments, lets go ahead and mention how awesome a quick game of SMW on my GBA is while I'm taking a shit. Seriously, I have my GBA sitting behind the toilet seat just waiting for my next dump. Honestly, it's made a relieving experience something that I actually look forward to.

Now, back to the absense of the bedroom gamer. I think you have parts of it, but not all. Sure, the advent of the "set top box" and all its functionality have increased the need to be in the Living Room, but how about the aging gamer him/herself? The main reason I can now play videogames in the LR is because I pay the rent (and its my freaking house!). In the past, I had to shut it down every time Mom got home or whatever...so I didn't really have a choice.

Now I have my own entertainment center, my own stereo eq., my own big ass tv and my own couch to lay on. I think this has as much to do with my own migration from the bedroom as anything else.

One other thing. I have my PC in a seperate room too, whereas when I lived with my mom it was in my room. You see...I basically have gaming in every room! I can't wait to get my DSL and a Wii (christmas) and sometime next year a PS3. That will allow me to move my GC/PS2 into my office (with my PC and my 3rd TV).

Great thread d00d.

Ranger X

Bedroom + DS and/or PSP = me extremely happy and confortable.

That's basically the only place i play my handhelds. It's also more relaxing for me playing there before sleep. Playing in the living room before actually is stressing.

Snookie

The gamecube is hooked up in our bedroom, and the wife and I play mario party at night sometimes when we can't sleep. Its good sleeping after that.

R-User!

Ned Flanders said:
Oh don't get me wrong..in terms of all-around gaming experience, my bedroom can't hold a candle to my living room setup. It's superior in every fashion...my point is just that theres a certain appeal to the intimacy and isolation of gaming in a bedroom.

*lights a candle*.....

.....but seriously, I haven't game'd in a BR for over a year and a half now, and I find it difficult to feel "intimate" with my games. Really, I won't be able to recapture that "bedroom" experience anytime soon, and now that I am aware of that fact, I think it stinks! But, I will be playing FFXII and Zelda and Wii Sports in the Living Room, so all in all, I guess I will just have to sit closer to the good ol' SD TV that I've had since 98 (its a Sony Trinitron, and i'm used to it, so what I don't know can't hurt me if you know what I mean).

:(

P.S. I can't wait till sometime between Dec 07-Dec 09' for my MASSIVE LEAP into PS3 and HD.... (PS3 in late 2007; or whenever MGS4 comes out, and hopefully an HD TV to go with it at the same time...)

ghibli99

Pre-Sega Genesis, our gaming rigs were always in another room... the Atari 2600 was out in the living room, the Apple ][e was in the den, the Sega Master System sat next to the Apple. It wasn't until the Sega Genesis that I had a videogame system in my room. That was an awesome feeling. I had it sitting on this narrow, fake wood rolling computer desk with a 13" composite computer monitor, and some crappy Sony unpowered speakers plugged into the Genesis headphone jack. I would perfectly center myself in front of the screen, and would focus on nothing else but the game in front of me. As the systems continued to come out... SNES, PS1, et al... the setup got bigger. Stereo receiver, bigger speakers, bigger TV, surround sound, etc. It was all still in my bedroom, but it was still the place I loved playing games, because I could do so without interruption. In a more 'public' room (living room, etc.), there were always interruptions. I feel the same way about watching movies. While nowadays (I'm 32), I do most of my gaming/movie watching out in my living room, I feel nostalgic anytime I play something in the bedroom. That's why when I get a bigger place, most of my gaming rigs will be in a separate bedroom, not the living room.

Az987

all good things
I have a 32" HD LCD and surround sound in my bedroom. Add a 360 and marijuania smoke to that and it tends to get pretty hot in there :lol

I wish I had another place to hook up my things but I still live with my parents and I dont think theyd approve of some of my habits.

Sephon

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
I, too, have all my older consoles in my bedroom by my small 28" SD-TV. Where I can spend some sleepless nights playing some RE4 or Harvest Moon on the GC.

It's a different feeling for sure, a flash back to the past, and it feels good. Or maybe not good, just... cosy. Who doesn't want to be young again, right?

But then again, compared to the living room where I can turn on my HD-TV, 360, 7.1 system and a few brewskies where I can spread my legs and feel like a real man... ;) Yeah, it's a completely different feeling.

fartblast

Banned
Az987 said:
I have a 32" HD LCD and surround sound in my bedroom. Add a 360 and marijuania smoke to that and it tends to get pretty hot in there :lol

I wish I had another place to hook up my things but I still live with my parents and I dont think theyd approve of some of my habits.

lol bongrips over xbl headset ftw

I myself game in my bedroom, due to my... unfortunate room layout I need to put my rear right 5.1 speaker on the corner of my bed.

Az987

all good things
fartblast said:
lol bongrips over xbl headset ftw

I myself game in my bedroom, due to my... unfortunate room layout I need to put my rear right 5.1 speaker on the corner of my bed.

Haha I did that for like the first week of having my Surround sound, it really sucked.

You should get some ceiling mounts.

ToxicAdam

I hate gaming in the bedroom. The TV is usually in an elevated spot, so you are constantly looking upwards. There is no comfortable way to sit on the bed. The pillows do not offer enough back support in a seated position, laying on your stomach get uncomfortable after 30 minutes. Also, there is no where to really put snacks or a drink in a convienent spot.

Basement gaming FTW.

Philia

Jimmy and I both game in our bedrooms but we also game in the living room.

Because of the isolation isn't as fun, we paired up two tvs in the living room when we're both playing something. So that way, he plays his silly God Hand game while he check out my playing Okami! :D Of course its spoilerish in a way that could ruins the experience if either one of us actually wants to play it. SotC for example, I played it and finish it first thing and he could never pick it up again after that. However, I made it a point to make sure I'm playing a rpg IN my own bedroom so he won't be as spoiled, Dragon Quest VIII for example which is his current rpg right now.

Yeah we're both silly hardcore rpg collectors and play all sorts of other genres too. :D Other than that, things are spiffy. Our portables work out in any room anyway. His friends would come over and play in the living room or in his bedroom.

Smokey

I still game in my room. I have a 30'' Sony HDTV, and I sit on the floor with a pillow under my ass against my bed. I imagine that'll change once I get out of college and my own place etc. etc.

I never did game in my bedroom. Well, there was a time when I dragged the cube back in my room to play some Zelda... But other than that, never did have a console in my room. Mainly 'cos of my crap TV and the fact I didn't wan't people messing with my room if they were to play. Oh wait, did have PSone set up in my room for DDR... Forgot about that. But the den, there's so much more space and the TV's much nicer there, although the TV is often tied up by movie watchers.

Edit:

Well, I do do portable gaming in my room. Every night, I do wi-fi games on the DS... So many comfortable and fun positions in bed.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Does anybody else take their GBA/DS to the bathroom with them?

And, if so, what games are best to play? I'm thinking ones that turn on quickest and are quick and easy to get a quick game in. (Super Mario World)

Drek

When in college I rotated my stuff depending on what I was playing the most of at the time. Multiplayer in the living room so my brother, roommate, and the three guys next door could feel free to come over and play. Single player in my room for some quiet down time from the dope smoking, drinking, and partying.

Worked out well, but then I had a 27" Sony and a 25" Apex with S-vid and component connectors for all four systems (DC, GC, Xbox, PS2), so I always could find a single player game and a multiplayer game on different systems for each room. College was pretty awesome, I bought a PS2 at launch but otherwise I used the campus community buy/sell boards to snag a DC at $30, a GC at $100 with four games, and an Xbox with 15 games for $150 (less than a year after launch, dude cheated on his girlfriend, she sold his Xbox setup).

Now all my gaming takes place in my living room, since I live with just my girlfriend, who enjoys watching me play more than watching TV (as long as Without a Trace isn't on). In the near future though I plan on getting an HDTV and PS3 (no point to have one without the other IMO), and ideally I'll have a dedicated theatre room within the next year.

Defcon

Banned
Considering that the DS is about the only system I play these days, I prefer to lay on my bed, with my back supported by about 8 huge pillows.

The bedroom is my nest. It is my getaway spot from the wife and kid when I need some peace and quiet.

Top Bottom