• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Breh we like it, just venting about their prices

Yep. No one ever said it was bad. BP has the same pricing model as Rogue. $2-3 more than everyone else with no added value.

I had no idea BP was even owned by a corp. The SD breweries are basically "local" for me so I don't keep track of what gets wide distribution. Most of the beers you talk about from the NW and midwest I've never seen or heard of; it's pretty much just SD and LA breweries down here. Maybe y'all are spoiled for choice.

fwiw, I'll take an Alpine IPA or AleSmith any day over Sculpin.

I really like Modern Times, Societe and Abnormal down in SD. Goood stuff.

Alpine kinda fell apart when Green Flash acquired them, which is a huge bummer.

The New Glarus fruit beers (Serendipity, Wisconsin Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart) are really good but so damn sweet. I can't even imagine what Frootwood is like, and I'm not planning on finding out.

The New Glarus fruit beers (Serendipity, Wisconsin Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart) are really good but so damn sweet. I can't even imagine what Frootwood is like, and I'm not planning on finding out.
Do it!

Edit: I'm grilling right now. Figured I will hate drink some of the Frootwood I have.

London Balling pretty tasty and readily available since I can't find Naked BBW anymore, good looks on the rec PB
LOVE me some London Balling. Got spoiled last year with the local shop fucking up and selling 4 packs for $9 instead of singles for that price. Love me some barrel aged barleywines.

Started with a Hopslam while preparing stuff for dinner. Then hate drank a Frootwood while grilling. Now winding down with Even More Jesus.

Yep. No one ever said it was bad. BP has the same pricing model as Rogue. $2-3 more than everyone else with no added value.

I really like Modern Times, Societe and Abnormal down in SD. Goood stuff.

Alpine kinda fell apart when Green Flash acquired them, which is a huge bummer.

I had no idea Alpine got acquired, but I was wondering why they suddenly had six packs in Whole Foods when they had always been hard to find. I think in the earlier days it was just one main guy for a long time? That sucks, I guess I'll never get to have their Boris RIS again. I haven't noticed a big quality decline though, their Duet is still a solid IPA.

As for Rogue, they were the first real craft beer I ever tried years ago. Thought they were pretty terrible, but maybe they've gotten better.

I had no idea Alpine got acquired, but I was wondering why they suddenly had six packs in Whole Foods when they had always been hard to find. I think in the earlier days it was just one main guy for a long time? That sucks, I guess I'll never get to have their Boris RIS again. I haven't noticed a big quality decline though, their Duet is still a solid IPA.

As for Rogue, they were the first real craft beer I ever tried years ago. Thought they were pretty terrible, but maybe they've gotten better.

The majority of Alpine's stuff is now made at GF instead of the old brewery in Alpine. Pretty much anything that's six packs is GF brewed now. They're dialing recipes back in and I think they'll get the beers back to greatness, but they're not there yet. :-(

Chris R

I think Grapefruit Sculpin might be $14.99 here lol

That is the price here in Alaska (might even be higher)

Only had one BP six pack when I found some on sale for $12 instead of the normal $15.

Corps or not, I don't care. If the beer is good and reasonably priced I'll drink it. Didn't stop drinking Elysian just because they got bought out.

That is the price here in Alaska (might even be higher)

Only had one BP six pack when I found some on sale for $12 instead of the normal $15.

Corps or not, I don't care. If the beer is good and reasonably priced I'll drink it. Didn't stop drinking Elysian just because they got bought out.

Elysian was a little closer to home for me. I kinda know Dick Cantwell the former brewmaster/owner and one of their pubs is near my house. Dick opposed the sale and I stood with him. I haven't been back to the Tangletown pub nor have I had an Elysian beer since. InBev's plan is to use all these regional craft breweries to push the little guys off store shelves. Fremont's owner has said InBev is rushing to buy all the bourbon barrels they can, making it impossible for anyone to source them. You don't have to care, but I kinda do.

And luckily Steve Luke, the guy behind a lot of their beers (Space Dust, Dayglow, Split Shot) left Elysian and opened up Cloudburst over a year ago.

Chris R

Elysian was a little closer to home for me. I kinda know Dick Cantwell the former brewmaster/owner and one of their pubs is near my house. Dick opposed the sale and I stood with him. I haven't been back to the Tangletown pub nor have I had an Elysian beer since. InBev's plan is to use all these regional craft breweries to push the little guys off store shelves. Fremont's owner has said InBev is rushing to buy all the bourbon barrels they can, making it impossible for anyone to source them. You don't have to care, but I kinda do.

And luckily Steve Luke, the guy behind a lot of their beers (Space Dust, Dayglow, Split Shot) left Elysian and opened up Cloudburst over a year ago.

Didn't know that about the sale. Kinda sucks :(

I'll still visit though since they are the best place around Safeco to grab a pre-game beer :p At least until the SoDo arena gets approval and they build a ton of new places.

I'll have to visit Cloudburst next time I'm in town, wish I would have known about it in August. Need to up my beer social media game.

Lotto

The majority of Alpine's stuff is now made at GF instead of the old brewery in Alpine. Pretty much anything that's six packs is GF brewed now. They're dialing recipes back in and I think they'll get the beers back to greatness, but they're not there yet. :-(

Nelson still isn't there for me, still solid but not the liquid gold I so fondly remember at their old pub. What sucks is that their contract for Nelson hops expired and they have to get them from other third-party distributors. Not sure if that's their situation now but I have a friend working there that told me that a couple of months ago. Nelson hops seem to be one of the harder hops to get a hold of these days.

Didn't know that about the sale. Kinda sucks :(

I'll still visit though since they are the best place around Safeco to grab a pre-game beer :p At least until the SoDo arena gets approval and they build a ton of new places.

I'll have to visit Cloudburst next time I'm in town, wish I would have known about it in August. Need to up my beer social media game.

Collins Pub is the best place for a beer before any sporting event downtown. Hooverville is also a lot of fun and has a solid taplist.

Chris R

Collins Pub is the best place for a beer before any sporting event downtown. Hooverville is also a lot of fun and has a solid taplist.

Oh I enjoy Collins Pub too, especially their outdoor seating when the suns out.

I'll check out Hooverville next M's game I'm at (probably late May/early June)

HiResDes

Grabbed a Grimm Sumi Ink Stout today. And the shop had more London Balling. Yeah, another expensive trip but I don't care.

Going up to Cappy's in Norwood to see if they have any of this left:

C3R5DTxWIAAFY07.jpg:large

While prepping dinner had Hi-Res and Hopslam. Now winding down the night with some Dino S'mores. Forgot how much this actually tastes like s'mores. That is good and bad. Love the body on it and the chocolate, but the marshmallow adds maybe a bit too much sweetness to it. It is good that the flavors are balanced though.

My parents were down in Eugene, OR visiting relatives over the weekend and brought some Hop Slam back with them. I haven't had that beer since 2011 or 2012, back when IPAs were a very different thing. Curious what I'll think of it now.

The Veil in Richmond is so good. Randomly went down there over the weekend to see some people and they had their Oreo Hornswoggler up. I wasn't even disappointed that they were long sold out of cans of it since I could just drink all I wanted right there. Every single other thing they had was great as well and I'm not even big on IPAs.

Love having another reason to travel down there to go again, what with Ruse coming from Hardywood this coming weekend.

The Veil in Richmond is so good. Randomly went down there over the weekend to see some people and they had their Oreo Hornswoggler up. I wasn't even disappointed that they were long sold out of cans of it since I could just drink all I wanted right there. Every single other thing they had was great as well and I'm not even big on IPAs.

Love having another reason to travel down there to go again, what with Ruse coming from Hardywood this coming weekend.

Apparently those Oreo Hornswoggler cans are prone to explode if not kept cold due to residual sugars from the Oreo cookies. The brewery warned people of this on Facebook, but some didn't listen, and left them in their car for a few hours. Whoops.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPv7J6_hnSZ/?taken-by=alesmithbrewing

Hot damn, my favorite stout now in pint cans! So excited for this. They were teasing a can release for a while, glad to see it was my favorite thing from them.

I hope those make it out to Portland soon. Speedway Stout might be my favorite stout, but I can rarely justify $13 for 750ml. If they follow the trend of Evil Twin and charge $4 for a can, I'm sold.

As to Sculpin, as others have mentioned, it's $14 or $15 in Oregon, and frankly, it wouldn't crack my top 10 IPA list. It's a fine brew, but nothing special, and the price premium is absurd. I can get Fresh Squeezed for less and it's better in every regard. I'd say Ballast Point was coasting on reputation but Victory at Sea might be my favorite Imperial Porter ever, so clearly they can produce great things; Sculpin I just find to be absurdly overrated.

As far as Rogue goes, most of their stuff is overpriced for what it is. Their Hazelnut Brown Nectar and Chocolate Stout are excellent for a beer float, and they've usually got some interesting things on tap at their brewpub in Newport so I generally get a flight when I go down to the coast. Dead Guy is good, but I'm bored with it at this point since I was basically raised on that beer. But I think there's also a nostalgia factor for me with Rogue; I'd rather get a bomber of some Rogue release that isn't great than something from a brewery I've never of heard before; there's comfort in familiarity.

Apparently those Oreo Hornswoggler cans are prone to explode if not kept cold due to residual sugars from the Oreo cookies. The brewery warned people of this on Facebook, but some didn't listen, and left them in their car for a few hours. Whoops.

Whoops indeed. What a terrible way to lose a great beer. Bet they were cursing the unusually pleasant weather we have been having.

As far as Rogue goes, most of their stuff is overpriced for what it is. Their Hazelnut Brown Nectar and Chocolate Stout are excellent for a beer float, and they've usually got some interesting things on tap at their brewpub in Newport so I generally get a flight when I go down to the coast. Dead Guy is good, but I'm bored with it at this point since I was basically raised on that beer. But I think there's also a nostalgia factor for me with Rogue; I'd rather get a bomber of some Rogue release that isn't great than something from a brewery I've never of heard before; there's comfort in familiarity.

North Coast Brewing is my nostalgia brewery. They sold them at Trader Joe's back when craft beer (down here) was really hard to find, and I discovered Old Rasputin and the RIS style. Still pick one up now and again.

Lotto

I hope those make it out to Portland soon. Speedway Stout might be my favorite stout, but I can rarely justify $13 for 750ml. If they follow the trend of Evil Twin and charge $4 for a can, I'm sold.

Unfortunately, cans are $7.99 at their brewery, doubt it'll be any cheaper than the source. It ends up being cheaper than the 750ml but still quite pricey. Still ended up picking up two cans.

obin_gam

Untappd is fun. I'm not sure what you want out of a beer app, but I've been on it for five years now and still enjoy it.

SeattleBeerPenguin

Just basically a registry where I can save, rate and get sugestions for similar beers. Just made an account on untappd to try it out :) obin <-- me on there

Just basically a registry where I can save, rate and get sugestions for similar beers. Just made an account on untappd to try it out :) obin <-- me on there

Shall add you to the list. And I am phoniplebone on there for anyone else I am not buddies with on there.

EDIT: Cant seem to find you on there yet.

riotous

Banned
ChugChugPass on Untappd.

I don't find any app super useful but it is fun; there are "useful" features like alerting you when a beer is on top, but I generally don't get much out of them. I rarely just randomly have time to go out for a beer, so I'm more pro-active than re-active looking at tap lists when I know I'm going out.

Unfortunately, cans are $7.99 at their brewery, doubt it'll be any cheaper than the source. It ends up being cheaper than the 750ml but still quite pricey. Still ended up picking up two cans.

Yeah, that's probably a pass then. I mean, Speedway Stout is one of the absolute best, but I wouldn't say it's twice as good as Even More Jesus, which suddenly has widespread availability at an affordable price. Maybe when Game of Thrones is back on (Speedway Stout is unparalleled as a GoT pairing).

Mitch

Banned
servbotmitch

30 beers away from 500. With this upcoming IPApalooza that takes place all throughout February, I'll hit it easily.

ShinAmano

Veil is crazy good...only 2 oreo left :( If your hitting ruse hit me up :) I'll snag mine Friday, but plan to chill there Saturday for shares and whatnot.

Veil is crazy good...only 2 oreo left :( If your hitting ruse hit me up :) I'll snag mine Friday, but plan to chill there Saturday for shares and whatnot.

Yeah I should be there Saturday for Ruse. The people I normally travel down there with just canceled on me so not as sure as I was a few days ago though/if I'll be there as needlessly early as I normally am. Will PM you when I'm there if I make it.

Churchkey was fun last night and happy I got to try the Java Ten Fidy.

Ten Fidy event at ChurchKey last night was amazing. As wonderful as the Java variant was, I liked the Brandy Barrel-Aged variant even better! So good.

Ten Fidy event at ChurchKey last night was amazing. As wonderful as the Java variant was, I liked the Brandy Barrel-Aged variant even better! So good.

I actually went into it thinking that I would like the Brandy one more but just didn't. It ended up being my third favorite thing there, behind the Java and barrel aged G'Knight. And I don't even like normal G'Knight all that much...

I actually went into it thinking that I would like the Brandy one more but just didn't. It ended up being my third favorite thing there, behind the Java and barrel aged G'Knight. And I don't even like normal G'Knight all that much...

That Barrel-Aged G'Knight was definitely legit. And I actually dislike regular G'Knight.

Top Bottom