• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before bayonetta, there was WET.

Rip WET

• rip

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • rip

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Ezquimacore

Banned
This is the history of WET, the forgotten action heroine by Bethesda. She was supposed to be the female savior of gaming, problem is WET was released in September of 2009 and Bayonetta a few weeks after in October 2009.
wet---button-1547077693250.jpg

Overall the concept was cool as F. It was a mix of Devil may cry, Max Payne and Prince of Persia, what could go possibly wrong, right?
wet_04.jpg

wet_10.jpg

CorruptIllinformedGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

OnlyDampGypsymoth-max-1mb.gif

0ZWO-g.gif

The best way to explain the game by a Metacritic user:

SalarymanDaishi :"Third person shooter that does a stellar job mimicking 70's trash movies and featuring one of the coolest heroines ever. Armed with dual revolvers, a katana, and bullet time whenever she performs acrobatic moves, Rubi Malone shoots and slices thugs like none other. Too bad she only does it for about seven hours and suffers from countless sudden deaths due to failed jumps, slides, or quicktime events."

Sadly the developer was not able to do justice to Rubi Malone, the coolest heroine of 2009, Sorry Bayonetta, we love you but you're not WET.
d98xcj5-3db74884-83f7-448e-8415-f3db63f7979e.jpg

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Bethesda's jank vs. Platinum's precise engineering...

For some reason I'm reminded of Oni, Bungie's 2001 attempt at a third person action game, also a largely forgotten game (remember playing a bit of it and not liking it much).

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It was a bit janky, but the nevertheless fun to play. I for one would be interested in them resurrecting the franchise in some way.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I always wanted to play it and loved the demo but never got around to it. It was trashy in a good way.

Also you'd never get a character like her from 2021 Bethesda.

Like the others have said it was a bit iffy, but yeah it was a pretty fun game. I had an ex pick the game case up at my house and say "You don't see what they're doing here?" in response to the character and the name of the game lol

I remember being interested in this game, and then I played the demo.
1x

Bayonetta demo though.
1x

Kidding aside, I was going to consider still picking it when it was under 20$ since the demo was fun enough and I wanted another cheesy action meets TPS game like Bloodrayne, but then completely forgot about it. I think it was because the original version of Devil's Third was announced and was doing nearly everything this game was doing, so I wanted to see if it turned out better.

Too bad of course the company responsible for Devil's Third's game engine went under resulting in a development restart.....which then went into yet another one when THQ went under.... Well we all know what happened then.

Anyway I remembered this game 2 years ago, went to ebay and amazon, and new copies were back to being 50-60$ :messenger_face_steam:

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Bethesda didnt develop it.

To be honest I had never heard of the game before today and the OP said "by Bethesda", that's what I went with.

Also, Shinji Mikami laid the groundwork for Bayonetta with P.N.03

PN03 didn't remind me of Bayonetta at all tho. (Not that I played a lot of it, thought it was quite boring).

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
PN03 didn't remind me of Bayonetta at all.

To be honest I had never heard of the game before today and the OP said "by Bethesda", that's what I went with.

PN03 didn't remind me of Bayonetta at all tho. (Not that I played a lot of it, thought it was quite boring).
Was published by Bethesda. PN03 has a few dances like Bayonetta but the gameplay is not similar at all

One of my first X360 games at the time, loved how stylish the demo was. In hindsight, it wasn't exactly a Bayonetta or a Devil May Cry, but all the jank and questionable design choices were countered by the glorious soundtrack, the fantastic artstyle (those parts where blood went into her eyes starting a frenzy? incredible) and copious amounts of bullet time. The platforming kinda sucked, the rest was a riot. Would want them to retry this IP one day, as unlikely as it is.

junguler

Banned
not a great game by any means but i enjoyed it at the time, i remember loving the stylized 2d sections a lot too.

*Nightwing

SalarymanDaishi :"Third person shooter that does a stellar job mimicking 70's trash movies and featuring one of the coolest heroines ever. Armed with dual revolvers, a katana,…”

I know it wasn’t the OP, and I know I’m arguing semantics like an idiot, but I’m an idiot: That’s a Chinese style broadsword. Dao not a katana.

I agree it’s a hidden gem but because Eliza Dushku is the protagonist.
JCNIcF9.gif

Last edited:
Booo at the haters.

Got the platinum in this game. We don't see crazy shit like this anymore. Also, thanks for reminding me to continue stay sour over the sequel getting cancelled. It had the ground work laid out to become something even greater than the original. My main only gripe would be the lack of some memorable boss fights.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This was much more of a third person shooter than something like Bayonetta. WET was pretty cool and had a lot of style and some good mechanics, but I don't think the devs had a great sense of how to build on that. Even at its short length it's repetitive and runs out of ideas. Still, it deserves its cult following for standing out.

chaseroni

Really fun game with a nice soundtrack and visual effects. I had a lot of fun with it, one thing thats super fucking grating on the ears though...the gun sounds. SO BAD

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Clothes too form fitting and not enough muscle. Plus there's a clip of her in her panties in the OP.
Form fitting?

Its literally one scene in the whole game where she is getting tortured.....and I kid you not it last like one minute when you can actually see her in her panties....like that gif is basically all of it cuz right when you get control of her shes fully dressed again.
Remember these journos dont actually play the games so chances of them getting that far into the game is slim.
Even worse since its such a short scene with alot worse violence and shit going on in game you;d think they wouldnt even remember it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
After Bayonetta, there’s Project Eden.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There were lots of things before Bayonetta, OP. Color television, TV dinners, the Downward Spiral by acclaimed Industrial artist Nine Inch Nails, the French and Indian War, the construction of the Great pyramids, I DON'T GET IT.

(Wet was alright)

Skifi28

Always wanted to play this but I can't find it on the PS3 store. I guess I'm gonna have to hunt a physical copy at some point

OrionNebula

I always really liked that trailer

It had a cool Grindhouse feel, which very few video games want to touch (also why I was excited with the first Deathloop trailer… but then it turned into a more 60’s James Bond feel, which sort of pissed me off)

Black_Stride

I had fun with this. It was like a Quentin Tarantino movie meets Stranglehold.

I actually cant believe how old Stranglehold is.
But I remember it had such cool moves and sequences.
Heck Its destructible environments blew me away at the time.....these days you dont even get that many games that have as much breakable shit as that game.
It made everything seem more action packed because debris everywhere.

If any game needs a remake id say Stranglehold deserves one.

The game got rereleased in 2019 but the PC port for reasons unknown just doesnt play nice with my PC, and when I try booting the X360 version.
Yeah I think I cant go back to that era without a PC to inject mods.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
These games make tomb raider look better lol bottom of the barrel games I don’t miss that generation of gaming at all.

Black_Stride

These games make tomb raider look better lol bottom of the barrel games I don’t miss that generation of gaming at all.
Grindhouse games were a godsend.
Trashy low budget stuff you can have a fun romp with and sell back to the store in a day or two.
Then someone else can do the same thing.

Top Bottom