• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manoko

I could see 12 year old me thinking the hardware was the coolest thing ever. Now I just look at it and shrug. I havn't enjoyed or been engrossed in a Nintendo game since the Gamecube and GBA, when I was 11yo. Could be a part of growing up, I guess.

You missed some of the best games ever made then.

Damn, Nintendo really seems to be doing everything right for the first time in years. However at the Wii U's piss poor UI I'm a bit worried. By this being built on Android I wonder if that should make me feel better.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Damn, Nintendo really seems to be doing everything right for the first time in years. However at the Wii U's piss poor UI I'm a bit worried. By this being built on Android I wonder if that should make me feel better.
I seem to remember they hired good UX designers recently. Their new website looks decent, etc.

krizzx

Looked like one huge gimmick.

Good luck to them. Didn't impress me.

Any and everything unique that is used to sell something is a gimmick. It would just be a clone of something else otherwise.

High specs are a gimmick. Glowing controllers are a gimmick. Cloud physics is a gimmick. What is wrong with having a gimmick? That simply means they are trying something new.

RedToad64

The Switch has been bothering me ever since the reveal and I couldn't put my finger on why...

However, I think I know why now.

The system has a gimmick, yet the games themselves cannot really take advantage of this gimmick in a unique way. Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

Deception

I will most likely buy one of these as a secondary console in addition to my Xbox one, mainly for the first party games. If they release the trading handheld games like Pokemon and Monster Hunter on the switch, even better.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think one of the thing I like most about this, from the standpoint of decisions Nintendo has made in comparison to their previous devices...

They finally found a way to be unique, but in such a way that third parties don't have to go too far out of their way to embrace that uniqueness.

They avoid the Wii situation where devs had to think, "how can we do this on super underpowered hardware with fewer buttons and this motion stuff?"

They avoid the DS and 3DS situation where devs had to think, "why should we release a little handheld release that would basically be its own unique version, with limited audience, and somehow take advantage of dual/touch screen?"

They avoid the Wii U situation where devs had to think, "how can we take advantage of this big touch screen in the middle of the controller, other than just lazily slapping on a big logo or something?"

Instead, anything released on Switch is already taking advantage of all of its features. EA is releasing portable sports games again, just by virtue of making home console sports games. Bethesda is making a portable game. No wracking your brain about this albatross touchscreen or how to incorporate swinging a remote, it just works.

Pretty cool way to consolidate what third parties want with what Nintendo wants.
But it IS underpowered compared to the other consoles. It just remains to be seen how wide that gap is, and if that's going to be an issue or not for multiplatform releases going forward.

The Switch has been bothering me ever since the reveal and I couldn't put my finger on why...

The system has a gimmick, yet the games themselves cannot really take advantage of this gimmick in a unique way. Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

I honestly don't know what you mean.

I like the look of this:

jfN1wQ2.jpg

The games don't really have to - Nintendo probably has ideas about it, but for another developer, they don't really have to brainstorm how to make the game work with detachable controllers - it's just a controller, rather than working out motion controls or what to do with two screens.

So I don't see how that's a bother.

Lgndryhr

I've worked with a number of Nintendo retail reps over the years. They're privy to almost nothing before it's officially announced.

They told me the sketch about the NX was close to accurate. Also, in past has dropped subtle hints over their personal accounts or personal phone.

emb

Looking forward to seeing the UI of Nintendo Switch.
For once, I think it'll be hard for them to make it annoying.

The Wii interface was great, unless I was trying to play a GC game.

The Wii U interface was fine, except that for no good reason, button controls were disabled when the menu was placed on the tv.

The DS and 3DS were good, but easily could have been bad if dpad control wasn't an option. For example, take the 3DS's settings menu, it's inexplicably touch only as far as I can tell.

The Gamecube is the gold standard in terms of system menu design. Gets out of my way unless I want it, fun to access when I do want it and fun to navigate.

I think I get what you mean; the past few Nintendo systems have been more focused on gameplay or control gimmicks. The new system's thing is more about when and where you will play, but not directly about how you interact with actual games.

I love that about it though. Enough of a hook to get a little attention, but not so much that it can get in the way.

Jimrpg

First of all, I want to say I want this system for all the Nintendo games, I loved my Wii U.

But I think they are making a huge mistake by making it look pretty much like a Wii U tablet controller with detachable controllers. I wonder why one needs to detach controllers at home? Especially when you can have a separate pro controller.

I have a feeling that this thing is going to fail hard just like Wii U. The only savior really is that PS4 and Xbox one are doing exactly the same thing in the next half generation and Nintendo are doing something different.

Also I find hilarious that so many posters deny it's a home console and it's also replacing the 3DS. Even Nintendo say it's a home console first. 3DS still wins in portability. I can't see people bringing this around.

Lgndryhr

Nintendo isn't launching a SKU of their "new home gaming console" without a way to play it on your TV.

Well, they released a handheld without a charger, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Plus, multiple SKUs gives them a nice low price "from" to put in ads. Considering the 3DS crowd looking to upgrade, I think it's a distinct possibility.

But it IS underpowered compared to the other consoles. It just remains to be seen how wide that gap is, and if that's going to be an issue or not for multiplatform releases going forward.

Skyrim Special Edition is their attempt at a statement that the gulf isn't going to be a huge problem. Not like Wii vs. PS3 or Wii U vs. PS4.

Lgndryhr

I could have sworn I read we will get a direct next week or week after.

I fully expect to see more info at the investor's meeting.

Red Devil

So what are we thinking, bundle wise? My guess:

Switch Basic Set: Tablet, Joy-Cons, Joy-Con grip (Japan only)

Switch Power Set: Control Set + Dock

Switch Deluxe Set: Control Set + Dock + Pro Controller

Having multiple bundles makes no sense unless there were different storage options and that doesn't seem likely either.

We obviously don't know the specs yet. But it's a handheld. It would be impossible for it to match Xbox One in power. It's just a question of how close it is.

It probably doesn't match Xbox One in power, but matching it may not really be necessary.

"Mobile" tech is far beyond what you're picturing in your head. Remember that modern consoles are already basically laptop specs.

Is Skyrim really the best example? A last gen game? But I hope you're right.

Special Edition is a current gen release. Designed to take advantage of modern consoles. If it runs SSE then it could probably also run Fallout 4, for example.

Red Devil

I have a new concern. So....the system will have a regular charger to plug in in addition to being able to charge via the dock, right? Cause if the dock is the only way to charge it then that's really shitty. I need to be able to play this in portable mode while it's charging.

Not an engineer, but my guess is that whatever powers the dock could be also used to charge the thing?

Well, they released a handheld without a charger, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Plus, multiple SKUs gives them a nice low price "from" to put in ads. Considering the 3DS crowd looking to upgrade, I think it's a distinct possibility.

It's not a possibility. "Switch" is in the name. Nintendo has literally called it their "new home gaming console". The dock was heavily featured in the reveal trailer. It's being included with every single hardware SKU at launch.

This discussion is hilarious.

I guess if Nintendo made games that interested me these days, maybe I would be excited about this. Right now it just seems like just another gimmick to me. But if Nintendo fans are satisfied, then that's all that matters really.

Smash Bros. is a pretty big deal, especially when there's new characters announced. I'm sure Nintendo and Sakurai are saving it for a Direct.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still wonder about multiple SKUs from day 1 vs later on. Probably better to launch with 1 SKU then release the handheld only sku later.

That being said I saw my son for the first time all day tonight when I picked him up from play practice. Before I could say anything he was like did you see that Nintendo Switch?

He was already dropping hints on the way home that we need at least 2 of them aka one for me and one for him. So multiple SKUs would be great for me. LoL

Man I don't get this hostility to $300, what the heck. $300 is about the perfect price for this IMO. I'm kind of preparing for $350 but $300 would be great.

Wii was a really unique console, the low price was kind of unprecedented at that time. Not everything can be Wii priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom