• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If they're not going to put the IR on the top of the right joycon then don't bother at all. IR cant appropriately replicate a touch screen anyway for it to be worth the bother just for that. The purpose of including IR has to be to get Wii VC games playable. That simply wouldn't work if it's on the bottom.

Anth0ny

the great megaton of January 2013 took place on January 23 and basically outlined the entire life of the Wii U

Expecting a Switch software Direct in late January

That would be best.
giphy.gif

Neper

Neo Member
Well, the IR could definitely be interesting for Wii BC via Virtual Console. But there is another possibility that has me thrilled: ever since I played Metroid Prime Trilogy on my Wii, I can't just go back to regular controls. Those games were born to be controlled with a Wiimote, it just feels so natural to aim Samus' cannon with your very hands.

So, if we ever get a new Metroid Prime, I'd say this would allow Retro to keep that control scheme, and that would make me very, very happy.

Matbtz

the great megaton of January 2013 took place on January 23 and basically outlined the entire life of the Wii U

Expecting a Switch software Direct in late January

Yes something like that ! I just wished we could have info every 2 weeks/every months to maintain the hype, or at least some 3rd party info along the way.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well, the IR could definitely be interesting for Wii BC via Virtual Console. But there is another possibility that has me thrilled: ever since I played Metroid Prime Trilogy on my Wii, I can't just go back to regular controls. Those games were born to be controlled with a Wiimote, it just feels so natural to aim Samus' cannon with your very hands.

So, if we ever get a new Metroid Prime, I'd say this would allow Retro to keep that control scheme, and that would make me very, very happy.
Wiimote nunchuk was such a great control scheme. Just needed more buttons and a second analog stick. Now we have that. Goddamn I wish an improved wiimote nunchuk control scheme would become the industry standard.

I'm more interested in what will come of the third party support seeing that devs like Bethesda and FromSoftware are on that list of partners despite rarely bringing titles to Nintendo consoles if at all.

Will devs have an easier time porting their PS4/Xbone multiplats to Nintendo's system this time?

Zedark

so whats the common short abbreviation of the switch, too long of a name to constantly type. The NS?

I mean, that WOULD definitely be a good one, since it is so close to NX. I support (and use) that abbreviation, so there's that at least.

Edit:
It's also an abbreviation for Nova Scotia, not everything has to be nazi related.

The main Dutch railway company is called NS too, don't believe they are Nazis.

I hope Yooka-Laylee makes it to the Switch. That would mean two (potentially) good 3D platformers in a short amount of time released on the same system.

I can't believe the amount of hype the Switch is accumulating with only a 3 minute video. I do fear it will be a No Man's Sky level disappointment when it actually launches.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I can't believe the amount of hype the Switch is accumulating with only a 3 minute video. I do fear it will be a No Man's Sky level disappointment when it actually launches.
But they showed us what you actually do with a Switch.

I do fear it might not be popular enough to see another Switch player in public though.

Neper

Neo Member

Wiimote nunchuk was such a great control scheme. Just needed more buttons and a second analog stick. Now we have that. Goddamn I wish an improved wiimote nunchuk control scheme would become the industry standard.

I just needs to feel less gimmicky than the Wiimote and it'll do. Let's see how it performs with Switch, the way it is integrated into the console could make it feel completely different to the end user.

Except Nintendo's promise isn't anywhere near as lofty as what was said of No Man's Sky.

It will come down to how seamless the whole thing is for sure, so Nintendo still has some work to do. We'll have a much better idea of the Switch's capabilities once the gaming press actually gets its hands on it.

maxcriden

If they're not going to put the IR on the top of the right joycon then don't bother at all. IR cant appropriately replicate a touch screen anyway for it to be worth the bother just for that. The purpose of including IR has to be to get Wii VC games playable. That simply wouldn't work if it's on the bottom.

Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldn't it work?

18-Volt

I hope GTAV remaster is on the Switch. If there's ever a time for GTA to come to a Nintendo system it would be now.

After the Manhunt 2 fiasco, Housers will have hard time convincing Take Two to fund a Nintendo home console GTA. I think Take Two believes that releasing a game like GTA on a family console like Wii/Wii U would harm their reputation, as Manhunt backlash once proved.

But then again Housers are huge Nintendo fans, they would still push for another Nintendo GTA, I hope.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldn't it work?
The way the joycons are laid out with the analog stick and button placement as well as where the shoulder buttons are placed, it doesn't seem possible that you couldbhave comfortable controls that would replicate a wiimote nunchuk setup if you hold the right joycon upside down. I mean for start you wouldn't be able to replicate the b button of the wiimote at all because holding the right joycon upside down gives you no access to the right shoulder buttons.

I hope GTAV remaster is on the Switch. If there's ever a time for GTA to come to a Nintendo system it would be now.

That'd actually be pretty cool to have GTA V on the go and I'm sure rockstar gets new employees X interns all the time so it could be training for them and I'm sure Nintendo would chip in a few bucks to have GTA V on their system due to how big it is

I already own a Xbox 360, Xbox one version but I'd consider buying a switch port just to play with new people

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
A GTA V port would also be a good test game for Rockstar for the Switch. See how well a port does and if it does well they'll be more inclined to put their new games on there too. Though then again suoer cheap ports of the PS2 era games would make more sense for that.

Penguin

So, what are we expecting the launch line-up to be?
I can see:
Zelda BotW
Splatoon Remaster
Mario Kart Remaster (digital)
Smash Bros Remaster (digital)
Watch_Dogs 2?
Battlefield 1?
Injustice 2? (If it releases in March)
DQ Builders / World of FF?

But aside from Zelda , which will also be avaible on WiiU, those are all ports of old games, which would make the line up really boring.

I don't follow N's studios too closely, which ones might have Switch exclusive titles ready for launch?

I'd expect/hope that "For Honor" and "Resident Evil 7" were on their radar for near launch since relatively big AAA titles out just before launch.

also would wager a Rocket League port.

So, based on the IR blaster rumor, I did a quick and dirty mock up of how the wii-mote + nunchuck could be remapped to the joy-cons.

Since everyone will have both controllers out of the box. Didn't see a reason to map all the functions to just the right joy-con.

I used the R3 control stick click as the A button/main source of interaction for the pointer joy-con, since anything else would be very awkward with the controller flipped

42GiC4Y.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'd expect/hope that "For Honor" and "Resident Evil 7" were on their radar for near launch since relatively big AAA titles out just before launch.

also would wager a Rocket League port.
It's Ubisoft so I expect good support from them at launch, but I'd bet more on Just Dance, Watch Dogs 2 and South Park. Feels like any more than that and Ubisoft are competing with themselves at launch, no? It's already tough to ask customers to buy another launch game on the day the new Zelda comes out.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So, based on the IR blaster rumor, I did a quick and dirty mock up of how the wii-mote + nunchuck could be remapped to the joy-cons.

Since everyone will have both controllers out of the box. Didn't see a reason to map all the functions to just the right joy-con.

I used the R3 control stick click as the A button/main source of interaction for the pointer joy-con, since anything else would be very awkward with the controller flipped

42GiC4Y.png
Having clicking the right stick replicate the A button would be soooooo bad.

Penguin

It's Ubisoft so I expect good support from them at launch, but I'd bet more on Just Dance, Watch Dogs 2 and South Park. Feels like any more than that and Ubisoft are competing with themselves at launch, no? It's already tough to ask customers to buy another launch game on the day the new Zelda comes out.

If I were Ubi, I'd rather For Honor (month late) than Watch dogs 2 (like 4 months late)
You could still release Watch_Dogs 2 later on, but For Honor will be closer to launch of the game and console... I guess not Ubi, but if you're Nintendo.

42GiC4Y.png

Decent mock up, but swapping button sides ( moving something that would be wiimote handed to the nunchuck hand) is a bad idea, given that you any game designed with pressing buttons on both sides at a time could unintentionally become much more difficult.

I'd map the dpad to the wiimote hand analogue stick for one thing. No idea what to do about the A button, clicking the stick as you put is probably the most feasible but holy shit would that be bad for Mario Galaxy jumping, or even worse, the metroid prime trilogy where you press A to fire.

So, what are we expecting the launch line-up to be?
I can see:
Zelda BotW
Splatoon Remaster
Mario Kart Remaster (digital)
Smash Bros Remaster (digital)
Watch_Dogs 2?
Battlefield 1?
Injustice 2? (If it releases in March)
DQ Builders / World of FF?

But aside from Zelda , which will also be avaible on WiiU, those are all ports of old games, which would make the line up really boring.

I don't follow N's studios too closely, which ones might have Switch exclusive titles ready for launch?

Tekken 7 might happen at launch like Tag 2 was on the Wii U.

jmizzal

Really hoping for a Switch version of For Honor. This thing is gonna bring LAN parties to the casual set.

I got a feeling all UBisoft games will be on it early on

For Honer, Ghost Recon Wild lands, Steep and Assassins Creed 2017 and what ever else is they have coming

Matbtz

If the IR rumor is true, I really don't see how it could be on the bottom of the joy con.. You all can see what I can, you just can't hold and play with a flipped JoyCon ! This is just not possible to hold the joy con like that and be able to use all 4 buttons (comfortably at least)

maxcriden

I hope Yooka-Laylee makes it to the Switch. That would mean two (potentially) good 3D platformers in a short amount of time released on the same system.

That's my hope as well. That they've secretly been working on a Switch port in addition to the Wii U port and will have it ready for launch. I really really want that to be the case.

The way the joycons are laid out with the analog stick and button placement as well as where the shoulder buttons are placed, it doesn't seem possible that you couldbhave comfortable controls that would replicate a wiimote nunchuk setup if you hold the right joycon upside down. I mean for start you wouldn't be able to replicate the b button of the wiimote at all because holding the right joycon upside down gives you no access to the right shoulder buttons.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Thank you. That would be uncomfortable. Any chance it will be able to he used held the correct way instead, based on the information we have?

Zedark

Personally, I'm rooting for Skyrim and Yooka-Laylee to come to the Switch on day one. That and Zelda (and maybe another brand new title?) would make the immediate launch line-up a win for me. Of course, they can go all kinds of crazy with the launch line-up, for example porting GTA V and Darks Souls 2 and 3 to the system, but I doubt all multiplats from this gen will come over within the first year, so we'll have to wait on that one.

Really hope Nintendo nails the third party support. They don't need to have every third party developer that develops for PS4/Xbox One on their platform: just the major publishers (Square Enix, Ubisoft, EA) and a good selection of independent developers/smaller publishers (CDPR, Bandai Namco) would be enough to supplement Nintendo's own incredible stable of exclusives.

jacksrb

I am super late to posting, but I have the following thoughts after the reveal lead up and since the video dropped:

• The Reveal Trailer Loved that the video was focused and easy to grasp. My wife had the immediate "That's cool" reaction because it is easy to understand the basic concept. Kuddos for skipping the motion/touch/etc. features in the initial reveal. I am not a huge portable gamer but being able to game anywhere in the house is awesome! Put me down for an extra dock for the bedroom tv.
  • Replacing the 3DS? I have read/heard a lot about what this means for the 3DS, and Nintendo has nothing to gain by not taking a wait and see approach. But beyond any form factor considerations, the most powerful thing for the platform is having all of Nintendo's development resources focused on this (plus a little mobile)
  • Software Lineup Excited to see a new Mario, but it would be dumb to have that at launch with Zelda already there. I expect that to be targeted towards a holiday appearance. Curious to see what other first party smaller stuff is aimed a launch, especially any new IP. And of course I can't wait to see what Retro is up to.
  • Best of all, it will be here in 5ish months! What a nice change from the Wii U. Here is a trailer, wait a year for more info. Wait 6 months till you can buy it.

Zedark

I am super late to posting, but I have the following thoughts after the reveal lead up and since the video dropped:

• The Reveal Trailer Loved that the video was focused and easy to grasp. My wife had the immediate "That's cool" reaction because it is easy to understand the basic concept. Kuddos for skipping the motion/touch/etc. features in the initial reveal. I am not a huge portable gamer but being able to game anywhere in the house is awesome! Put me down for an extra dock for the bedroom tv.
  • Replacing the 3DS? I have read/heard a lot about what this means for the 3DS, and Nintendo has nothing to gain by not taking a wait and see approach. But beyond any form factor considerations, the most powerful thing for the platform is having all of Nintendo's development resources focused on this (plus a little mobile)
  • Software Lineup Excited to see a new Mario, but it would be dumb to have that at launch with Zelda already there. I expect that to be targeted towards a holiday appearance. Curious to see what other first party smaller stuff is aimed a launch, especially any new IP. And of course I can't wait to see what Retro is up to.
  • Best of all, it will be here in 5ish months! What a nice change from the Wii U. Here is a trailer, wait a year for more info. Wait 6 months till you can buy it.

I think you're right about the new Mario game. Having Zelda at launch and Mario during the Holiday season would give the Switch two very important games at two very important moments in its first year, and could potentially get the Switch to hit the ground running. If they can fill the period between those two games with a steady stream of first and third party offerings to keep people interested, they will have done everything possible to make the system a success. Let's hope they can orchestrate something in that vein!

Pif

Banned
People begging for ports of games with heavy online components are perhaps forgetting how simple and featureless NS's network is probably gonna be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom