• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paskil

That controller is fucking trash, imo. Will try it, but just looks stupid. Otherwise, playing a wait and see and a new Mario would be great!

TLZ

Banned
Well, time to post this I guess.

He's not coming back

giphy.gif

TriGen

I'm really happy with what they showed. The concept looked good in the trailer and they showed more game footage than I expected.

Emphasizing Local MP was probably the smartest move Nintendo could've made. It's the one area that they've always, unquestionably, done better than the competition.

I always wished that the Wii U was portable and now this seems like a reality and then some. I am so excited for this new system since I'm a portable gamer first and a console gamer second (kids, tv,, time, etc).

Really hoping this thing has a decent battery life and sleep mode. It needs sleep mode. The ability to pick up a game right where I left it within seconds is one of the main reasons I play a particular system.

Cannot wait to see more.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I was looking at it and just wondering how many of the things could break... The little TV stand, the constant in and out... Hope that's not an issue.

I'm a bit apprehensive as it just looks like a portable wiiu to me as of now.

Skyrim woot though.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Dont like the name. But good for them to get away from the Wii name.

Will see if the name grows on me over time.

Wont lie, I'm hyped for that Mario game and already was for Zelda. Starting to like this new look Nintendo.

Now announce pokemon sun and moon can be played on this think so I don't waste money on a 3ds next month.

They'll announce it after the 3ds version is out of course

Quonny

Name is fine, but forgettable.

I really don't like when companies name their products after common words. Just creates confusion and doesn't stand out.

About the only problem I see is that the Joycons look really uncomfortable for extended play sessions. Other than that, my mind is blown. Give me a price and release date, Nintendo...I'm preordering with all the quickness!

web01

Cautiously optimistic about hardware.
Pessimistic about software considering Splatoon and Mario Kart seem to be cheaply made enhanced ports. If they released at budget prices I could support that. But as a WiiU owner its hard to justify another purchase.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I love the look of the controllers, and the portable screen. Not so much dock. Much better than the shiny, plastic looking Wii U.

3D Mario and Zelda are always winners, they should be great.

But Skyrim? Come the fuck on, Nintendo.

I thought that was a poor reveal. As someone who likes the 3DS and hates the Wii U, I don't feel like there were many compelling reasons shown for me to upgrade as opposed to spending my money elsewhere.
This is why I just skipped wiiu.

I just sold the few games I had for it...bring on the ports to NS. This looks different enough that it would fit in my PS4 centered gaming life, so I'm down with it.

Just need to know
- Price
- Specs
- Launch games

TheUsual

Gold Member
I haven't been hyped by a Nintendo home console since Gamecube (and that was the last home console of Nintendo's I own). I'm in with this!

I think I like everything about this except the name, it's a bit bland.

Still, it gets right to the point of the console, so I can't argue with the marketing reasons behind it.

On the contrary, I feel the Switch is the smartest name they've had for a system since the original Gameboy.

Looks like an evolution of the Wii U.

I'm not really convinced this is what people want from a home console and it's too big to take the place of a portable console.

I'll buy it for Mario regardless, but I'm not too sure who Nintendo are marketing this at.

This is where I'm at. I guess I was expecting a little more, or some kind of hook we were not anticipating. This looks like a sleeker, 4 years later evolution of the Wii U concept...which is nice for some I guess (hell I'll probably buy it), but the Wii U failed. I guess the million dollar question for Nintendo is "did the Wii U fail because it was underpowered, or because people couldn't take it on the go with them, or did the Wii U fail because the core concept was just not something people were into?" If it's the latter, this thing is in trouble.

Price will be key, it absolutely cannot be more than $299, and honestly even that is a stretch. If this thing really is the replacement not just for their home console but also their handheld business, this is uncharted territory for them and they are banking a lot on an unproven concept. I guess it ultimately comes down to their own internal expectations. Maybe they figure they will consolidate their two markets (as well as their game development, saving them a ton of resources), sell this thing to the core 20+ million fans and make up the difference by expanding into other areas (movie and tv, theme parks, products like the NES mini) and essentially the Switch (man that's a dumb name) will be the start of their pivot.

Hari Seldon

That thing can probably pump some serious graphics if it is 720p and running a custom Tegra with an exhaust. Much better than mobile graphics for sure.

+ Nintendo drops the DS/Wii brand. Good.
+ They also drop the family-friendly marketing for something more casual in a good way.
+ The clicking is delicious.
+ The new control ideas are much more natural than what the Wii U did. Want to play off-TV? Just take out the core of the console, take out the sides of the controller, put them on the sides of the core of the console. Want to use the core of the console as your screen? Just take out the sides of the controller, ta-dah, now you have two NES-like controllers. Put them together and ta-dah, now you have a smaller version of the regular controller. And unlike with the Wii U, off-TV play is anywhere at anytime.
+ New 3D Mario looks like a mix of Sunshine and 3D World, which in the end also makes it look like Mario 64. The segment after that implies there can be two players as well, and that the NES-like controller can be used.
+ Overall it looks like an actual Nintendo console. But it's also a handheld! As a console, it's a nice compromise between the casual & the hardcore styles, one that is much less awkward than the Wii U. As a handheld, it's amazing. But I'm worried about the price.

- Few games shown.
- Graphics don't look better or worse.
- Worried about the price point, since it's Wii-U-But-Done-Right and just Wii-U was expensive enough.
- Mario Kart 8 DX: Director's Cut. Splatoon: More Hair Edition. Is half of the library going to be Wii U ports?
- Nintendo aren't the first to use the idea of playing console games anywhere at anytime on a tablet screen. They're Nintendo so they won't be the best at doing it either.
- Come on. It's Nintendo. There are no reasons to expect better games, better infrastructure, better customer service, better online, or a better line-up than with the Wii U.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
The optimism is blinding. All we know is the design and the concept of it. We still don't know 3 important aspects. The price. The specs. The games.

US Price of $299 or less, I guarantee it.
The specs will be good enough. But you're kidding yourself if you expect it to be better than PS4.
The games will be there, since you have Nintendo's handheld division and console division producing games for the SAME console.

Pokemon is finally coming to a console!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom