• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe it or not, gamers who like the Atelier series are NOT pedophiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Also since when do people clamor that these people are pedophiles? Who the hell are you talking to?

Yeah, I've never heard this argument against the atelier games specifically...
I mean, if you go into an IRC channel, maybe, but it wouldn't be worth arguing in IRC lol.

Just because you like Atelier doesn't make you a pedophile... but it might make you a lolicon :p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Also since when do people clamor that these people are pedophiles? Who the hell are you talking to?

I was about to answer, but Nocturnowl answered it quite nicely. :)

But even with little exposure to the series i'd certainly seen my share of pedophile comments directed at it and the people who play them, it seems like an unfortunate situation based simply on appearances.

But heading back to the main point, unfortunately there are a certain set of people who love to throw pedophile accusations around at a number of things and games that star a "cute looking" female cast are one of the first things in line for such statements, hell i've been given such accusations from playing pokemon, I assume this means I must stalk playgrounds with my DS at the ready preparing to lure the nippers in with the promise of rare candies or something because the idea that I play the games because I enjoy them is apparently too farfetched to some.

Enron

Banned
I really don't see how this is a valid argument. NISA definitely tries to shy away from it, in the case of Rorona, they went went out of their way to literally try and make all the girls not loli, by adding about 3 years onto all the girls ages. I'm not sure how much they could possibly do to market the games as something thats not pedo.

The fact that they actually had to do that should speak VOLUMES.

And yes, Gust games are the shittiest of the shit. I will never buy another one.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Thread is full of people from anime GAF? This will be a good discussion.

Derrick01

Banned
I had no idea what this game was, now I've Googled it and I'm worried I'm going to go to prison. Thanks a lot, OP, for damning me to a life behind bars.

Eh it wasn't as bad as what I thought it was. After some searching I thought this was that Record of Agarest game.

Now that you don't want to image search. I'm not sure of the legality of what I saw.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
anyone who gives the series an actual chance realizes it's not some gateway drug to pedophilia.

I can vouch that Gravy is not a pedophile!

And I've played these games myself as a gay male. What are you gonna do about it??

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Is this a real post

...what do you do with them...?

He buys them for the art, and speaks to the boxes. But he doesn't wanna play them, oh nooo. Their relationship is too serious for that.

Material guy\girl dynamics.

Tomat

So cute. It's the only reason why I continue buying Atelier games even though I don't play or open them.

This doesn't exactly help with the negative perception.

Boss Man

some Gaffers on IRC who stated that the only reason anyone would ever play Atelier games is because they’re pedophiles. When I explained that I loved the Atelier series for its compelling gameplay
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

YGfVs.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
I never touched them because of the item creation aspect. Never bothered with it in any other rpgs since I thought it was boring so one focused on it probably wouldn't float my boat.

edit:

Now that I think about it, the last JRPG I bought was Resonance of Fate four months ago. Before that I played ToV again (which I bought at launch) which was on August of 2010. :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I really don't see how this is a valid argument. NISA definitely tries to shy away from it, in the case of Rorona, they went went out of their way to literally try and make all the girls not loli, by adding about 3 years onto all the girls ages. I'm not sure how much they could possibly do to market the games as something thats not pedo.
This turned out to be an unintentionally funny bit.

Aeana

It wasn't an argument, it was just a thought. Also, if you think casual observers actually look at the ages of characters then you most likely have another think coming. I will say, though, that Rorona's was probably one of the more tame marketing campaigns that NISA has done. At least they didn't try to give away a girl's panties like they did with Prinny 2.

Coxy

Also since when do people clamor that these people are pedophiles? Seems gaf irc got under your skin.

Just the occasional Trolls and Psychos

Personally I still just enjoy the same old cute RPGs I did in the past like Grandia and Shining Force, hell the Atelier games even started using the Grandia battle system as a groundwork towards making their own

Orca

Wasn't really sure what series you were talking about and Google-imaged it. The results did the OP no favours at all.

I don't have the time to read the OP right now(will later tonight), but I just wanted to chime in and say I started playing the Atelier series earlier this year and now it's one of my favorites.

Tomat

I'm sorry for buying things that I like.
You're buying a game and then not playing it just because you think the characters are cute. That is a little odd.

Finalow

I think that Ar Tonelico, especially the last one, is more pedo than Atelier series. though Atelier does have some nice games in this gen.
- and Atelier is the best JRPG series. BAM.
you take that back or I'm gonna post that Torment is boring a VN.

StayDead

If you are a girl, or 14 then it's okay that you posted this.

If your are man and over 14, you might rethink your 1st post.

So guys over the age over 14 can't think things are cute?

Not everything is about sex... I can look at a woman or an anime girl and think to myself, she's really cute, without feeling the need to go wank myself into oblivion. I've really never understood that. Cute things are cute, there's nothing wrong with that.

22y/o Male btw.

Atelier games are terrible.

Why include such an awful battle system? Remove all enemies from the game, keep everything else, make it a visual novel with an alchemy side game. Instant 600000% better game.

I'm pretty sure that's basically Atelier Elkrone expect as an otome game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Do not post it, but may you describe in particular what this content is? It seems similar to the Tera Online thing.

A bikini CG or two across the games, a bath scene, there is one kinda out there in Meruru that's super close to nudity that made me sigh and speed through the text to get the scene over ASAP. That's all I can think of in the games several CGs.

Ken

You're buying a game and then not playing it just because you think the characters are cute. That is a little odd.

I bought Rage because I didn't want to miss out on the Amazon pre-order bonus and ended up never opening it.

I buy a lot of games for different reasons even though I don't play them.

I bought the atelier games because of the cute girls on the cover, I had no idea this was pedophilia. I guess I'm going to hell!
if I'm reading this right you bought a game you knew nothing about because you liked the cover which featured a prepubescent girl in lingerie on it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

To me, that just sounds like the gaffers who buy 100 new games every steam sale and then never play them.

Durante

you take that back or I'm gonna post that Torment is boring a VN.
I feel no need to take it back, but after some thought I edited in a (surviving). There were some pretty amazing JRPG series once. Like Suikoden.

Also, whatever you say about PST will not change the fact that it is scientifically proven to be the best game of all time.

Boss Man

oh damn

you called out people with anime avatars

liking anime art
I didn't post all of the anime avatars, only the ones with little girls. It's relevant.

If all anime art is seven year old girls with rosy cheeks, then I'm prepared to call that a pedophilia gateway too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom