• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe it or not, gamers who like the Atelier series are NOT pedophiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is making me smile, keep it up.
err, don't keep it up, that's very wrong you dirty, dirty gaffers

Personally I don't own any of these games but I would totally buy them if they actually got good review scores. I think the art is quite pretty.

TEJ

The Atelier series isn't that bad.

Now, Disgaea? You have etna, a character that is thousands of years old but looks like a 12 year old and barely wears anything

In Disgaea 2, you have Hanako, an even younger looking girl who also wears skimpy attire.

Razek

Banned
I'll just say this about these types of criticisms (talking about your opening point mentioning IRC):

-There are some people out there that are messing around with you. If you like radical things you will get it often. A tap on the shoulder here and there. You're just going to have to get thicker skin for this one.
-Then there are the rest that are being serious. Don't bother defending yourself against these people. They will never nor do they care to understand not everyone is a stereotype. They are not worth your breath.

Telling who is who becomes impossible so it becomes best just to ignore everyone.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Atelier seems to focus on item creation, which is pretty much my least favorite aspect of RPGs, whether it be synthesis, or crafting, or whatever the game calls it.

That's pretty much the reason I avoid Atelier games. It has little to do with the art style.

(I, btw, have no problem with the art)

Levyne

Banned
I've never gotten into the series because the art and aesthetic seem silly to me. That said, it's unfortunate that anyone has to be harassed for playing a video game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I didn't post all of the anime avatars, only the ones with little girls. It's relevant.

If all anime art is seven year old girls with rosy cheeks, then I'm prepared to call that a pedophilia gateway too.

Where are these 7 year-old girls?

I also like the Hyperdimension Neptunia games...

Card Boy

Banned
UDq2d.gif

Boogie
Banned

Swift justice.

Esura

Banned
I didn't post all of the anime avatars, only the ones with little girls. It's relevant.

If all anime art is seven year old girls with rosy cheeks, then I'm prepared to call that a pedophilia gateway too.

Wait, how is people having avatars of cute girls relevant to anything?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'll just say this about these types of criticisms (talking about your opening point mentioning IRC):

-There are some people out there that are messing around with you. If you like radical things you will get it often. A tap on the shoulder here and there. You're just going to have to get thicker skin for this one.
-Then there are the rest that are being serious. Don't bother defending yourself against these people. They will never nor do they care to understand not everyone is a stereotype. They are not worth your breath.

Telling who is who becomes impossible so it becomes best just to ignore everyone.

Yeah, I've had a few people message me and tell me this thread wasn't a great idea, and they're probably right.

I was just... mad. I've been called lots of things but pedophile just really really rubbed me wrong. Especially since I was basically told I couldn't possible like the gameplay and the like... it just made me very mad and I wanted to explain in the hopes that maybe some people will be less likely to knee-jerk react to a cuter anime aesthetic.

Durante

Atelier seems to focus on item creation, which is pretty much my least favorite aspect of RPGs, whether it be synthesis, or crafting, or whatever the game calls it.

That's pretty much the reason I avoid Atelier games. It has little to do with the art style.
Really, I'd say the major gameplay mechanic in the Arland series isn't item creation (though it's important), it is time management. As such, it's completely different from almost every other RPG out there, where you are given practically unlimited time to accomplish your tasks. That's what I find most interesting about the games mechanically.

Wait, how is people having avatars of cute girls relevant to anything?

maybe you just don't know the definition of relevant? That's the only thing I could thing of to answer your question.

I kid i kid dont get your little girly panties in a knot.. in fact get those off your face you naughty deviant!

MrDaravon

Consistently terrible games, IMHO.
Gust and Idea Factory are basically the only two JRPG devs I avoid completely now.

I actually didn't know that there was a perceived pedo stigma to the franchise, though.

Same here. Also didn't know about the perceived pedo thing. OP honestly comes off super defensive.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Same here. Also didn't know about the perceived pedo thing. OP honestly comes off super defensive.

Not really.

Most of the threads here, not just Atelier threads, usually have people going "lolpedophilescum" whenever it feature girls drawn by japanese artists.

If it's a six year old boy bent over while he's turned around smiling at you, I'd include it.

Oh my, sounds positively scandalous, that said I don't think any of those avatars were very suggestive.

I was just pondering if it works the other way around like an Inazuma Eleven avatar or something.

Boss Man

Oh my, sounds positively scandalous, that said I don't think any of those avatars were very suggestive.

I was just pondering if it works the other way around like an Inazuma Eleven avatar or something.
I was 95% joking. I haven't seen an avatar like you're mentioning, but aren't the characters in this game female? That would mean that people who *supposedly* like the game for that reason would prefer young girls. The fact that the thread is full of people with young girls as their avatar defending the 'gameplay' is just too funny not to highlight.

Zabuza

Banned
Why? Are you attracted to old guys? Do you want me to make that assumption based solely on your avatar?

Sure. I'm just making that assumption based of your avatar you can do the same to me. Why do you have a little girl as your avatar?

I'm not trying to be a prick I'm genuinely curious.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Not really.

Most of the threads here, not just Atelier threads, usually have people going "lolpedophilescum" whenever it feature girls drawn by japanese artists.

Sadly yes. It's not just in the Atelier threads when new games are announced and the like, but a lot of this goes around. For me last night was more like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Emitan

I was 95% joking. I haven't seen an avatar like you're mentioning, but aren't the characters in this game female? That would mean that people who *supposedly* like the game for that reason would prefer young girls. The fact that thread is full of people with young girls as their avatar defending the 'gameplay' is just too funny not to highlight.

If someone likes puppies or kittens are they into bestiality? Sometimes something is just cute.

Coxy

I think it's more sensible to see avatars as who the poster wants to be rather than what they are sexually attracted to.

cant it just be something they like? there's people whose avatars are cookies or pies, I dont assume they want to be the pie or they want to fuck the pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom