• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Below is a timed exclusive

harSon

Banned
Is anyone surprised by this? At the very least, most indie games will be releasing onto Steam following their console run. Indie developers would be stupid to not release their games on as many platforms possibile, assuming they have the logistics to do so.

Orca

I imagine near enough every indie game will be timed exclusive only. There really is no reason to restrict games when PC, XB1 and PS4 are so similar. Just leaving money on the table.

That's why all those indies at the PS4 conference were announced as 'console debut' exclusives.

ILoveBish

At this point I doubt many devs want to position themselves with Microsoft, so letting people know the game will come to other platforms let's people be excited for the game instead of dismissing it because it's a MS exclusive. Smart of capy to do. I look forward to the vita port.

derFeef

At this point I doubt many devs want to position themselves with Microsoft, so letting people know the game will come to other platforms let's people be excited for the game instead of dismissing it because it's a MS exclusive. Smart of capy to do. I look forward to the vita port.

lol.... did you read the blog post?

I love posts where it's just blatantly obvious the poster hasn't bothered to read the OP...

Ran rp

They're pretty happy about their relationship with Microsoft.

We’ve said it many times before, but it is worth repeating: working with Microsoft Studios has been great, and they deserve real kudos for putting our dreamy roguelike-inspired game of exploration and discovery in the spotlight at E3… and we are certain they’ll continue to do more of that going forward. This clarification is about answering our fans, and shouldn’t reflect negatively on Microsoft or Xbox One – they’ve been the biggest CAPY supporters out there (and also lets face it: Titanfall and Halo are going to be crazy delicious game magic). The Xbox 360 has been a great home for marquee downloadable games, and we believe this is something that will continue, and grow, over the years on Xbox One.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am so damned happy, the more people play this, the better. Capy are excellent devs, and this looks to improve on that.

Will definitely purchase on PS4 and Vita.

JaggedSac

I imagine near enough every indie game will be timed exclusive only. There really is no reason to restrict games when PC, XB1 and PS4 are so similar. Just leaving money on the table.

This is probably going to be the case, although they might not all go to XBone since we don't know the indie publishing details yet.

statham

roofles
We’ve said it many times before, but it is worth repeating: working with Microsoft Studios has been great, and they deserve real kudos for putting our dreamy roguelike-inspired game of exploration and discovery in the spotlight at E3

Superflat

Cool. There was high probability that it was only a timed exclusive, just like a lot of indie games shown at the Sony conference will probably eventually get on the XB1. It's good that Cappy is giving assurance to that.

The only XB1 exclusive game that I'm anticipating to come out on PC/PS4 sometime is Sunset Overdrive. Then again, we don't actually know if that's a good game or not yet.

Cool. There was high probability that it was only a timed exclusive, just like a lot of indie games shown at the Sony conference will probably eventually get on the XB1. It's good that Cappy is giving assurance to that.

The only XB1 exclusive game that I'm anticipating to come out on PC/PS4 sometime is Sunset Overdrive. Then again, we don't actually know if that's a good game or not yet.

Aren't MS funding Sunset? Same with DR3 too no?

That's why all those indies at the PS4 conference were announced as 'console debut' exclusives.

Totally. Though I could see some devs keeping their work on the Sony side of things if MS can't deliver parity in terms of the publishing experience on the platform.

TRios Zen

As far as I recall there was no word of any of the indie games mentioned at either the Sony or MS conferences as being anything but timed exclusives.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Timed exclusives seem pretty anti-consumer.
And if it meant that Microsoft gave them money so Capy could develop a risky game but have guaranteed royalties then that is good by Microsoft and good for Capy because their risk is reduced and in the end, if the game is good, good for players.

Hahaha!! MS' times exclusives are so lame, and they aren't any incentive for me to buy their system (I always had a 360 so I've never known how I'd feel about this). Glad I'll eventually be able to play this, looks awesome, I don't mind waiting.

Is it really a timed exclusive that MS pays for, or is it a game that started development on XBOX ONE and waiting to get comfortable before pursuing elsewhere?

I don't think I've ever heard something we/I said called "boilerplate PR" before. More games industry firsts rolling along, 8 years in.

Ryuuga

Banned
Like many games on stage at E3

ibbzihg775hdfu0byqo.gif

Decado

Can't even tell what type of game that is. Anyway, more important for me to see Super Time Force come to steam.

Jarlaxle

I'll still be picking it up on XB1 but this is good news. The more people that get to play, the better. I hope The Witness is similar in the other direction.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'll still be picking it up on XB1 but this is good news. The more people that get to play, the better. I hope The Witness is similar in the other direction.
Recent statements by Blow have indicated that it will come to Xbone after their indie policy change announcement.

Wasn't blow said fanboys(XB+PS) will blow up or something when they see witness XB1 version
Not sure what is he means btw,why blow up?

Draft

I bet the devs were feeling a lot of heat after announcing the game as Xbone exclusive. The community manager must have been begging for this announcement.

Saty

what about total exclusives?

Total exclusive are the product of someone investing long term in a studio\game or building entire studios for them. Supporting it from the ground floor and for many years to come. That's the good way to differentiate your platform\console.
Offering money to external developers who already well into the game so they will refrain from releasing to some other platform for X time is probably the worst method there is for differentiating your platform\console.

This is not to say that this is the deal with Below.

Top Bottom