• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Below is a timed exclusive

Cizard

I'll still be picking it up on XB1 but this is good news. The more people that get to play, the better. I hope The Witness is similar in the other direction.

That was never an exclusive on anything. It's just not gotten a Xbone release announced yet cause there was no self-publishing.

ibmnhCcjaLsYyP.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I bet the devs were feeling a lot of heat after announcing the game as Xbone exclusive. The community manager must have been begging for this announcement.

I felt terrible for him. People coming into the thread and saying: "Shame I won't be getting this because I don't want a XB1".

Can't say no to a game with Jim Guthrie's music.

Geedorah

Love the fact that CAPY games will come out to other platforms - dislike the tone used in the post. They sound way to beholden, there is no reason to go gushing about how great the experience is every time you mention the studio.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Total exclusive are the product of someone investing long term in a studio\game or building entire studios for them. Supporting it from the ground floor and for many years to come. That's the good way to differentiate your platform\console.
Offering money to external developers who already well into the game so they will refrain from releasing to some other platform for X time is probably the worst method there is for differentiating your platform\console.
In that case I agree. But there are timed exclusives where the developers get aid and have their risk be reduced by the publisher fronting the cost.

Titanfall is obviously a moneyhat because EA is the real publisher. Below could easily be a MS version of Sony's pub fund.

Love the fact that CAPY games will come out to other platforms - dislike the tone used in the post. They sound way to beholden, there is no reason to go gushing about how great the experience is every time you mention the studio.

Because you should never speak nicely about partners?

Total exclusive are the product of someone investing long term in a studio\game or building entire studios for them. Supporting it from the ground floor and for many years to come. That's the good way to differentiate your platform\console.
Offering money to external developers who already well into the game so they will refrain from releasing to some other platform for X time is probably the worst method there is for differentiating your platform\console.

This is not to say that this is the deal with Below.

so let me get this straight, a total exclusive is good for the consumer, but a temporary exclusive is anti-consumer?

maybe I'm just reading it wrong but, I'm sorry I don't get it.

if you spend/earn money for a total exclusive, you're refraining consumers with other platforms to play the game indefinitely. maybe MS is supporting Capy in someway, maybe even funding part of its development, but their deal isn't attached to a total exclusive, just a temporary one.

Geedorah

Because you should never speak nicely about partners?

You should be nice when it warrants it - and critical when it warrants it as well. To me, felt way to one side for something that really didn't need that kind of response. They only had to say their agreements were timed exclusive, not stuff like "Titanfall and Halo are going to be crazy delicious game magic". Just my opinion.

Coconut

Banned
what about total exclusives?

At least then you know you are getting product specifically developed for said system and you know it won't release anywhere else and allows you to better judge which system you should own, based on which games are exclusively coming out for said system(s).

If any real money exchanged hands people should be aware that what the Capy PR person is saying is, Xboxone first then Steam.

Sorry you didn't like the tone. We're not at all beholden - we just believe in respect where respect is due. If it comes off wrong, its my fault for writing it poorly, not some forced obligation or 'beholden-ness'.

You should be nice when it warrants it - and critical when it warrants it as well. To me, felt way to one side for something that really didn't need that kind of response. They only had to say their agreements were timed exclusive, not stuff like "Titanfall and Halo are going to be crazy delicious game magic". Just my opinion.

We are excited by those games, and they're being made by some of our good friends/colleagues, so we wanted to give them a shoutout. I am not sure it requires digging into, but again, if it comes off wrong its my fault for writing it that way.

satam55

Banned
Most of the exclusives Microsoft showed off at E3 were from outside studios. As long as Microsoft doesn't own the IP, I expect most of those games to only be timed exclusives & to eventually be multiplatform releases. I think this is definitely the case with "Titanfall", "Dead Rising 3" & "Sunset Overdrive".

At least then you know you are getting product specifically developed for said system and you know it won't release anywhere else and allows you to better judge which system you should own, based on which games are exclusively coming out for said system(s).

so that's better for consumers who only have/can afford one system, right?

at least you're getting the chance to play the game in your platform of choice

Geedorah

Sorry you didn't like the tone. We're not at all beholden - we just believe in respect where respect is due. If it comes off wrong, its my fault for writing it poorly, not some forced obligation or 'beholden-ness'.

Glad you at least see where I'm coming from - some of the lines just struck me as entirely superfluous.

derFeef

Sometimes people are just honest.

Glad you at least see where I'm coming from - some of the lines just struck me as entirely superfluous.

oh my.

coma1138

Banned
I figured it was fairly common sense that the vast majority of the indie games shown by both MS and Sony would be coming to other platforms eventually...

Game looks awesome. Looking forward to it.

satam55

Banned
Most of the exclusives Microsoft showed off at E3 were from outside studios. As long as Microsoft doesn't own the IP, I expect most of those games to only be timed exclusives & to eventually be multiplatform releases.

Not for Crimson Dragon,D4,Quantum Break though

I didn't really expect those titles to go multiplatform, even though Remedy did get to eventually end up releasing "Alan Wake" & "Alan Wake's American Nightmare" on PC. I think you'll see "Titanfall", "Dead Rising 3", & "Sunset Overdrive" go multiplatform.

sublimit

Banned
I'm really curious if paying for timed exclusives benefits MS more than investing on building their first party studios.Or why don't they simply pay enough to have full publishing rights (like what Nintendo is doing with Platinum Games for example).

I think the money they spend for these timed exclusive deals are completely wasted and could be spend instead on more "fruitful" things.

Anyway,this is good news.Probably by the time i get a PS4 i will not even have to wait to get this.

They also initially funded Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect 1. Microsoft doesn't own the developer or IP rights of either of those games.

Hmm good point, I guess ME1 did eventually make it to PS3. As for NG2. I like to pretend the Sigma games never existed, true abominations in the action genre. Even more so than DmC...

God I hate Hayashi.

see5harp

This is a good thing. This is a dev that has had success making games for PS3, Steam, and iOS. I suppose I'll throw Android a bone even though they made up a inconsequential amount of the revenue share of Sworcery.

Saty

In that case I agree. But there are timed exclusives where the developers get aid and have their risk be reduced by the publisher fronting the cost.

Titanfall is obviously a moneyhat because EA is the real publisher. Below could easily be a MS version of Sony's pub fund.
I agree that if the dev is in a dire state and it sees the chance to secure itself financially by turning exclusive, they i can see why they are doing it. But for the most part it isn't the case. One way of mitigating risk is to release the game on several platforms on day 1.

Regarding Below i think they talked about it and said it isn't a case of being offered money to do it.
With the 360, i think the reason for indie games being exclusive is because they weren't allowed to self-publish so if they wanted to be on the console (and they did) they had to swallow the bitter pill of not being able to release the game elsewhere for X time.

so let me get this straight, a total exclusive is good for the consumer, but a temporary exclusive is anti-consumer?
Pretty much, yes. The reason is that with 'total' exclusive they would simply not exist if it weren't for the platform holder who financed the project from the start or funded the studio itself. It encompasses their dedication in promoting their platform by investing money to build games from the ground up.

Timed exclusives encompasses that platform holder having bunch of money to throw on already-existing externally developed games (which nowadays are almost always multi-platform to begin with) so they will bin the version of the game designed for the competitor's platform or avoid releasing it for X time so they can 'force' people to buy their console to play the game. Of course, it takes two to tango and there is something to be said about the developer\publishers that agrees for this.

Anyhow, in my mind, the perfect world is one where all games are released on how many platforms the developer chooses to and that the only exclusives are by their free choice rather than contractual obligation.

AWESOME! This was the best looking XB1 game I saw, and I don't plan on getting Xboned, so this is welcome news. Wii U please? Though PC, PS4 would suffice.

Top Bottom