• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie can win in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

how exactly does Bernie's proposed tax bracket work?

Pass the tax reform and then pass the different programs he wants that would use the extra tax revenue?

or would taxes only increase under Bernie as he got specific programs implemented? like if he got free college tuition to pass, then taxes would go up a little? Pass single payer healthcare taxes go up more?

Chariot

With the race in Iowa being very close in the recent polls, who would benefit more if O'Malley was to drop out, Hillary or Bernie? There are polls showing edge for either side, but most are small enough that the O'Malley voters could make all the difference.

Makai

Snow forecast
90% chance of precipitation
1-3 inches
40mph gusts

original.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
With the race in Iowa being very close in the recent polls, who would benefit more if O'Malley was to drop out, Hillary or Bernie? There are polls showing edge for either side, but most are small enough that the O'Malley voters could make all the difference.

Makes no difference. O'Malley is incredibly unlikely to be viable anywhere, so his supporters get redistributed at the caucus itself. Most of the evidence we have suggests they favour Sanders over Clinton by a 2:1 margin, but as he's polling only 3%, that only means a +1% boost to Sanders overall.

Busty

Banned
I'm surprised that Sanders' age hasn't factored into the conversation more. If he takes office he'll be 75 years old and the oldest sitting President by a number of years given that Reagan was 69 when he became President.

To me this means that his choice of running mate is everything given that the strains of having the world's most stressful job could really take their toil on a man of Bernie's age. And given how radically he intends to change things if he does get elected I'm sure the strain will go through the roof.

I'm surprised that Sanders' age hasn't factored into the conversation more. If he takes office he'll be 75 years old and the oldest sitting President by a number of years given that Reagan was 69 when he became President.

To me this means that his choice of running mate is everything given that the strains of having the world's most stressful job could really take their toil on a man of Bernie's age. And given how radically he intends to change things if he does get elected I'm sure the strain will go through the roof.

Oddly I've been hearing more about Clinton's coughing fits and how she might be hiding a health issue more than Sanders' age.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Elizabeth Warren as VP?

Chariot

Snow forecast
90% chance of precipitation
1-3 inches
40mph gusts
So, you're saying a storm is coming?

Makes no difference. O'Malley is incredibly unlikely to be viable anywhere, so his supporters get redistributed at the caucus itself. Most of the evidence we have suggests they favour Sanders over Clinton by a 2:1 margin, but as he's polling only 3%, that only means a +1% boost to Sanders overall.
Given how close it seems to be, this could be crucial.

I hope he makes his medical records public as promised to shoot down this notion. If he is as healthy as he says he is, there shouldn't be any problems.

Busty

Banned
Elizabeth Warren as VP?

But she's 66. I know that's 2 years younger than Hilary but paired with Sanders it just feels like more of the 'same'.

I don't want to sound ageist but what Sanders needs is a younger person to be his running mate. Someone who would compliment him but also give the ticket a more youthful feel.

Ideally he'd want someone in their late forties to early fifties. Someone who, to be frank, would be more than capable of 'taking the baton' should Bernie falter.

Oddly I've been hearing more about Clinton's coughing fits and how she might be hiding a health issue more than Sanders' age.

Interesting, I hadn't heard anything about that. I think it's fair to say that anyone undertaking something like a Presidential campaign aged sixty plus is going to find it hard going after a fashion.

So, you're saying a storm is coming?

Given how close it seems to be, this could be crucial.

I hope he makes his medical records public as promised to shoot down this notion. If he is as healthy as he says he is, there shouldn't be any problems.

A healthy 75 year old man is still a 75 year old man. Look at the toll the job took on Obama with that infamous 'before and after' photo of him giving State Of The Union addresses. It's a very stressful job and someone taking the job in their mid seventies, healthy or not, is going to find it a very difficult job.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

The difference being, his age is an absolute fact.

Bernie had a minor hernia procedure done back in the fall, but that is it. Pretty sure it was voluntary, too.

Interesting, I hadn't heard anything about that. I think it's fair to say that anyone undertaking something like a Presidential campaign aged sixty plus is going to find it hard going after a fashion.

I hear it mentioned more in the conservative blogosphere and radio. They keep playing clips of Hillary coughing.

Chariot

A healthy 75 year old man is still a 75 year old man. Look at the toll the job took on Obama with that infamous 'before and after' photo of him giving State Of The Union addresses. It's a very stressful job and someone taking the job in their mid seventies, healthy or not, is going to find it a very difficult job.
Fair point. But let's see what the doctors have to say.

I hear it mentioned more in the conservative blogosphere and radio. They keep playing clips of Hillary coughing.
That sounds like dangerous territory to speculate.

Russ T

Banned
I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of making someone reveal their health information. I understand the reasoning behind it, and I don't even necessarily disagree with the logic! It makes sense. But even so, it rubs me the wrong way. Like birthers, you know? Not at all accusing people of being as off-the-wall as birthers, just...

It rubs me the wrong way.

Unless this is a thing all presidential candidates go through?

But she's 66. I know that's 2 years younger than Hilary but paired with Sanders it just feels like more of the 'same'.

I don't want to sound ageist but what Sanders needs is a younger person to be his running mate. Someone who would compliment him but also give the ticket a more youthful feel.

Ideally he'd want someone in their late forties to early fifties. Someone who, to be frank, would be more than capable of 'taking the baton' should Bernie falter.

Killer Mike.

Seriously though, if not for the unelectability of the ticket, I think Keith Ellison would be great. He's one of the more progressive members of the house, is an effective speaker, and is only 52.

Clefargle

Yup, I have mentioned it once or twice in passing to friends. I'm a Sander's supporter, but if I'm being consistent I can't help but think about it. I used the same thinking about John McCain and it would be disengenuous to not apply that towards Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom